Barack Obama has finally been shamed into cutting back his birthday bash, which was to have hundreds of guests and hundred more people serving them.
Just Tuesday, the White House tried to defend the event, noting that Martha’s Vineyard, where the party was to be held, does not have a lot of cases.
As if Obama was inviting the locals.
According to the New York Post:
George Clooney, Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey were among the 475 guests expected to attend alongside about 200 hired hands.
On Monday, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki was pressed on the massive shindig — and defended it.
Asked if Obama was “setting the wrong example about how serious COVID-19 is by hosting a big birthday party with hundreds of people,” Psaki said that the venue is within a county classified by the CDC as having only moderate coronavirus transmission — though there’s an outbreak of the more contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 nearby on Cape Cod, which is just over 50 miles away.
One staffer involved in the party – which had been planned outdoors at Obama’s $12 million, 30-acre waterfront property – were proving to be a “nightmare.”
“His birthday party is insane,” the caterer said. “His bash is a nightmare to pull off this time of year on the tiny island — especially due to the lack of labor because of the coronavirus. What is he thinking?
He’ll probably still have at least dozens of people at the party. It’s unlikely the Obamas are going to let a little Covid ruin their fun.