The State Department today admitted that a missing portion of a State Department daily briefing video did not disappear because of a technical error, as the department has maintained, but was intentionally deleted.
“A specific request was made to excise that portion of the briefing,” State Department spokesman John Kirby admitted Wednesday. State had previously said it was deleted accidentally, because of a “glitch.” Once the deletion was noticed by reporters, the deleted portion was reinserted.
Another Obama administration scandal. This is patently dishonest and an obvious attempt to hide information. There needs to be a full investigation of who originally ordered the deletion and who instructed that it be covered up by claiming a “glitch” had occurred. I assume only someone at a fairly high level could make such orders.
The video covered questions by Fox News’ James Rosen about the nuclear negotiations with Iran. It included an answer to a question about whether the State Department ever lies in the interest of national Security. The response, by then-spokeswoman Jen Psaki, appeared to suggest the answer was “yes.”
“James, I think there are times where diplomacy needs privacy in order to progress. This is a good example of that,” Psaki said.
Kirby maintained that State does not know who deleted part of the video. “We do not know who made the request to edit the video, or why it was made,” Kirby said.
H/T Washington Examiner.