The Obama Manifesto

by Keith Koffler on July 25, 2014, 12:13 pm

You may not have read much of the rhetoric Vladimir Lenin spewed as he launched communism in Russia.

It’s worth taking a look at.

As you may know, he first targeted businesses and his political opponents.

Businesses, some of which were desperately trying to locate overseas to escape his confiscatory tax rates, were labeled “corporate deserters.” Lenin declared they were taking advantage of a Tsarist-era “unpatriotic tax loophole” and were “fleeing the country to get out of paying taxes,” locating their headquarters overseas even as they still did most of their business in Russia.

Their activities were “a threat” to us all, he charged, and they needed to be roped in.

That they were in fact obeying the law mattered little to Lenin, who of course specialized in altering laws to suit his purposes, and who viewed his own morality as taking precedent over legal inconveniences.

“My attitude is I don’t care if it’s legal — it’s wrong,” Lenin said, ominously for Russia. Even some in Russia at the time realized that the chief of state saying “I don’t care if it’s legal” was a frightening thing.

He went on, of course, to suggest his opponents were traitors of a sort, suggesting those who disagreed with him lacked “patriotism.” The Gulag wasn’t far behind.

Oh wait, those comments weren’t Lenin. That was all Obama. Thursday.

Obama 2President Obama excused himself from fundraising for a moment Thursday in Los Angeles to engage in an even less appealing pastime of his: totalitarian-style rhetoric.

You think I’m exaggerating? Carried away with some kind of hatred of the president?

Well consider these quotes from Obama’s speech, blandly labeled by the White House, “remarks by the president on the economy.”

Obama first condemned the practice by some corporations of merging with foreign companies in order to avoid paying U.S. corporate tax rates, which are far higher than those in Europe.

The practice is perfectly legal and would end if Obama ever got serious about tax reform. But instead, he’s taking his vilification of corporate America on the road and using it as a campaign theme this year.

OBAMA: But there’s another trend that is a threat to us.  Even as corporate profits are higher than ever, there’s a small but growing group of big corporations that are fleeing the country to get out of paying taxes.

AUDIENCE:  Booo –

OBAMA:  Well, hold on a second.  I want you — I say fleeing the country, but they’re not actually doing that.  They’re not actually going anywhere.  They’re keeping most of their business here.  They’re keeping usually their headquarters here in the U.S.  They don’t want to give up the best universities and the best military, and all the advantages of operating in the United States.  They just don’t want to pay for it.

So they’re technically renouncing their U.S. citizenship.  They’re declaring they’re based someplace else even though most of their operations are here.  Some people are calling these companies “corporate deserters.”

And it’s only a few big corporations so far.  The vast majority of American businesses play by the rules. But these companies are cherry-picking the rules. . .

Now, the problem is this loophole they’re using in our tax laws is actually legal.  It’s so simple and so lucrative, one corporate attorney said it’s almost like “the Holy Grail” of tax avoidance schemes.  My attitude is I don’t care if it’s legal — it’s wrong.  (Applause.)  . . .

You shouldn’t get to call yourself an American company only when you want a handout from American taxpayers.  (Applause.)

That’s why, in my budget earlier this year, I proposed closing this unpatriotic tax loophole for good .  .  .

Even worse is Obama’s new theme of “economic patriotism,” which lacks definition beyond support for Obama’s policies. Oppose Obama, and you’re not a patriot.

Economic patriotism says it’s a good thing when we close wasteful tax loopholes and invest in education, and invest in job training that helps the economy for everybody.  Instead of tax breaks for millionaires, let’s give tax breaks to families to help on child care or college.  (Applause.)  Let’s stop rewarding companies that ship jobs overseas; give tax breaks to companies that are bringing jobs back to the United States.  (Applause.)

Let’s put America back to work rebuilding roads and bridges and airports.  Let’s make sure the next generation of good manufacturing is happening right here in Los Angeles, and in Wisconsin, and in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Economic patriotism says it’s a good thing when our fellow citizens have access to preschool, and college, and, yes, health care that is affordable.  (Applause.)  It’s a good thing when women earn the same as men for doing the same work.  It’s a good thing when nobody who’s working full-time has to raise a family in poverty.  (Applause.)  That’s not un-American.  It’s how we built America — together.  That’s what economic patriotism is.

This is very, very dangerous stuff. Obama is accusing businesses of being “deserters” – a heavily loaded term – and his opponents of being unpatriotic.

I’ve never heard a president talk like this, have you? If Richard Nixon had said these things, historians would be framing it as consistent with his megalomania and abuse of office.

Placed in the context of Obama’s increasing resort to executive power, his new rhetoric is chilling.

No, I don’t think Obama is going to walk in Lenin’s footsteps and decree some kind of Socialist paradise.

But someone who is so angry at his opponents and so willing to stir up the masses with such pernicious rhetoric needs to be watched closely. He has only two and a half years left, and there’s much he’d like to do to finish “fundamentally transforming” America, as he promised.

Throw in some unexpected, serious crisis, and there’s no telling what our leader might do to “save” the nation from whatever it is he determines is “a threat to us.”

{ 1 trackback }

MerryCarol July 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm

“My attitude is I don’t care if it’s legal — it’s wrong.”

And the other edge of Dear Leader’s sword: “I don’t care if it’s illegal — it’s right.”

Curses on the deaf dumb n blind who voted for this schmuck. There I said it.

Radegunda July 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Excellent point.

Joe July 25, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Logically, that reduces to “I don’t care”

gracepmc July 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm

**************
I do. And what followed Lenin was Stalin.

Lee July 25, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I have never felt so scared of my future, more so my children’s future.
I said it before: I grew up in the 60′s with people protesting anything and everything.
I am to afraid to stand outside with a sign.
I don’t know if other people feel as I do.
The crisis point, is another thing I fear.
Bullets are being stored. Bullets are hard to find.

JBH July 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Great article Mr. Koffler. I shared this with an apolitical friend and she was shocked. I told her this is just one example of his shenanigans and not necessarily the worst. For her benefit (and mine), I don’t talk too much about politics with her because she gets too worked up. I like our peaceful life together!

Jim Miller July 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm

He gets away with it because nobody takes what he says seriously any more.

Radegunda July 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Oh, some of us take it very seriously because we know when he means what he says and we know there are no effective limits on what he’ll do.

AFVet July 25, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Executive orders are serious enough don’t you think ?
2 and a half years are more than enough to further wreck this Country unless congress steps up and does it’s job to take this little egomaniac to task.
I don’t see that happening under the present leadership in the house and certainly not under the leadership in the senate.
We need to fix that in November.

Island Girl July 25, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Chilling indeed when I read this in the LA newspaper, I believe he ended by saying he has a “bunch of stuff” he still wants to do.

JBH July 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm

A bunch, stuff, folks, gonna, never ends words with g. Smartest man ever huh?

Radegunda July 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm

He also doesn’t know how to pronounce “to.”
Note to Barry: It rhymes with “boo,” not with “duh.”

JBH July 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm

All of his speech deficiencies bug the crap out of me. I’m far from perfect but I do wish our president (I hate to type those words) spoke with more dignity and enunciated properly.

Aileen July 25, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Exactly…the use of words by a drug addled mind.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on our nation and our fellow countrymen and country women.

Island Girl July 26, 2014 at 4:19 am

AMEN

AFVet July 25, 2014 at 1:48 pm

You have to realize that he is speaking to people that actually admire him, hence the applause.

Mr. T. July 25, 2014 at 12:36 pm

“Some people are calling these companies ‘corporate deserters’.”

“Some people?” No, Barry – it’s just YOU who’s calling them that.

Scottso July 25, 2014 at 4:34 pm

he will often use the straw man, or just use words like “Some”, “many”, “bunches”, “Groups”. All vague because he’s too gutless to be specific about anything

mg4us July 26, 2014 at 11:57 am

Obama calling them ‘corporate deserters” is in the Alinsky manner. . .
Obama knows that well. .

What confuses me is that I thought OBAMA loves deserters. . .
Didn’t he trade 5 top Taliban Leaders for a deserter (Bergdahl) . .
or was Bergdahl a defector? Maybe that is the difference. .

Obama likes Defectors because they work against their home country. . just like he is doing with the lack of enforcement of Border security on southern Boarder. .

But do not be an American Boy Scout coming back home to America across northern border. . .you are likely to have a gun drawn on you and aimed at your head!!!

Nina Murphy July 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Speaking of corporations, I wonder how much Monsanto is paying Michelle Obama for her “support”?

suzazq July 25, 2014 at 12:52 pm

yes! great point!

srdem65 July 25, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Payday will come later, say after the Os leave the WhiteHouse.

The proposal for genetically modified food promises us more tomatoes that feel and taste like red tennis balls, and corn that will make our hair turn green. IMO, of course.

Star July 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm

“Booo.” This reminded me of Warner Wolf, who used to sprinkle his sports coverage with this opinion. Maybe Obama could start doing his own Booo’s. “Those stubborn Republicans–booo–are ruining the country.”

srdem65 July 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Wasn’t it just a few days ago that the whole Dem bunch was screaming that corporations aren’t “people” after the Supreme’s ruled in Hobby Lobby’s favor?
Now, the President and leader of this Dem bunch is calling the same kind of corporation “deserters” or un-patriotic and having American “citizenship” to a group of people who have profited greatly by these same entities.
How do the wealthy donors applaud the very idea of stripping them of their wealth or ability to earn more wealth? .
This is the same mystery that surrounds the MSM media who want to silence conservative speech. Do they assume their voice will continue to be heard if the government denies free speech to those they don’t agree with on issues, or are they assuming it will never come to pass.

While the President is mouthing scary scenerios of the government takeover of private affairs, the real scary part of this belongs to the people who support him and presumably cast votes on election day.

Radegunda July 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

“Do they assume their voice will continue to be heard …” — Yes, because deep down they know that people who disagree with them — i.e. conservatives — would not really try to censor the press. They probably noticed that what conservatives do is start their own media outlets to present their own views, rather than try to push leftist views out.

suzazq July 25, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I think O. would like it if he was impeached, he could be the victim, stir up more opposition/division in the country, and then he could pack his bags go play golf and never look back…which he wants desparately. It frightens me to think what our country will look like in 2016. Lord have mercy

Radegunda July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm

It’s especially dismaying to recall how some alleged conservatives — and people who are supposedly smarter than most of us — facilitated the rise of this atrocious administration. Some didn’t exactly endorse him, but they ridiculed people who read Obama correctly.

The country went insane in 2008. Part of it has come to its senses, but is it enough?

AFVet July 25, 2014 at 1:29 pm

2014 results will tell us.

gracepmc July 25, 2014 at 2:25 pm

AF Vet — I respect your opinions. And I know you are putting a lot of faith in the elections. And although I do not share that faith to the extent that you do, I realize it is our avenue. But I am not as hopeful as you. So, I am curious have your been following the recent Mississipi primary and the actions of Hailey Barbour and the Republican establishment’s collusion with the Democrats to undermine his Republican more conservative opponent. Normal election fraud notwithstanding — and getting worse with Holder et al — we do not have very clean hands either.

AFVet July 25, 2014 at 6:42 pm

All I can say Grace is that I hope you are pleasantly surprised.
The last I heard about the Mississippi debacle was that McDaniels is sticking to his guns on demanding a recount as to whether some of the voters voted in both primaries.

Julie Brueckheimer July 25, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I am repeatedly telling the Republicans that I will sit the election out and not vote for the Republican candidates I would really like to vote for in my state unless they do something to rectify the situation in Mississippi. Censuring Haley Barbour means nothing if Cochran goes back to DC in January. Sorry, AFV, if there is no difference between the two parties when it comes to corrupted elections, I don’t see the point of making a choice.

gracepmc July 26, 2014 at 1:31 am

Thanks. I hope so too. I will vote and make the best choice I can.

gracepmc July 26, 2014 at 1:36 am

This was to AF Vet. As for not voting. To each his own, and if I recall Julie you are an independent. But for me, not voting is not an option. A lot of people sat out because of Romney and I do believe that helped Obama win — although I think Obama would have won, illegally, anyway. I just never got the no voting thing.

Besides, might as well vote — the way things are going it may be the last chance to vote for any purpose in the US. Think it’s corrupt now — wait til the proggies really take over, if they do, and our vote will mean nothing.

Matt July 27, 2014 at 2:16 pm

It 100% helped Romney lose. If Romney flipped the golden goose Hispanic vote, he still would have lost, despite the best results for a GOP candidate ever.

Republicans are stubborn and don’t like wasting time with ‘lost causes’ (the self-fulfilling prophesy of the Nate Silver crowd). Ratings are much higher in sports when the matchup is fairly even. Only diehards stay up to watch Alabama vs. Mississippi Teacher’s College. Same thing with 2012 Elections.

Playrighter July 25, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I get emails daily from the DNC, including some from Biden, Pelosi and others. Lately they’ve been jumping up and down with projections that they can hold the Senate, make Rove cry, and destroy McConnell. Here’s the latest:

MSBNC’s Chris Hayes reports, “if we just invest, we can change things dramatically… Democrats could turn the South blue.”

“Republicans are TRAILING in five deep-red Southern states that Mitt Romney won. If you can rob them of these battleground states, they’ll have ZERO chance at the Senate. Can you imagine what would happen to the GOP?? They’d be doomed for DECADES.”

And while badmouthing the evil GOP money, they keep asking for more for their side.

Michael July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm

This from the most anti-business president ever, who thinks that it’s immoral for a business to make profits.

And then he can’t figure out why our economy isn’t growing. A beginning course in finance and economics would go a long way to helping him.

Scottso July 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

here’s what he doesn’t understand (or want to understand):

A company that does exactly what he has described is spending MILLIONS to do it, including legal fees.

if they are willing to do that, and they believe they are going to save money…then that means the corporate tax rate is too high. Plain and simple. Companies are supposed to make money.

they can’t print it like the gov’t.

judybeth2 July 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Exactly….! What disturbs me is that the audience applauded parts of his idiotic speech! That is seriously wrong..!

Perhaps the applause was ‘canned’ or bho has an electronic button he pushes that flashes APPLAUSE to the audience?? jb

Scottso July 25, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Didn’t the dems in congress stand and applaud when Obama said that he didn’t need them cause he had a pen and a phone. They clapped as he put them out of work

Jeff1000 July 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I’m just tired of all the rhetoric, from the right and the left; it’s as clear as day that Obama is a Marxist Communist ideologue, so what the hell are we going to do about it? Just keep pointing out the obvious while our Communist leader continues to destroy the country?

Island Girl July 26, 2014 at 4:24 am

I hear ya Jeff1000. I am so sick of this but having my own silent revolution for now.
Uggggggg

mo1 July 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm

And the difference between Beau Bergdahl and Pfizer is ?????

Oh wait, when you leave your army post it is not desertion because that is ILLEGAL. It is only when you do something LEGAL that the President does not like do your actions constitute desertion.

Von Ebb July 25, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Really good point ! This BO has more than 2 sides of his mouth to speak out of. The lies flow like a river.

DMcG July 25, 2014 at 2:06 pm

“Throw in some unexpected, serious crisis, and there’s no telling what our leader might do to ‘save’ the nation from whatever it is he determines is ‘a threat to us.’”

This is beyond scary, and a subject I have raised before. I don’t think it’s beyond Dear Leader to get into late 2016 and declare martial law in response to the latest “crisis,” requiring him to cancel the elections and stay in office indefinitely to manage the problem. Nothing is beyond the reach and imagination of this megalomaniac.

A lady in flyover country July 25, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Obama is the biggest threat to all of us, not to mention the rest of the World. The guy is an egotistical, narcissistic psychopath. Save us from what the low info voter has wrought upon us. Obama is a living, breathing Biblical proportion plague on mankind.

gracepmc July 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Funny. Apropos of your plague coment. During his Silicon Valley fundraisers there were some really funny protest posters made up — One calling Obama a SilliCon Man and the other a fake invitation to his fundraising dinner in Los Altos called A Feast in the Time of the Plague.

Lizzy July 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Sounds like what Hitler did when he campaigned oddly in a private
plane. When he went to the rural areas German flyover farmers small
business people he tailored his speech to them specifically not mentioning the ‘final solution’. Evil Obama is truly an evil man I hate to
mention Hitler but it’s similar and it’s very frightening. Obama does the same telling certain folks what they want to hear. And it’s not ‘phony scandals’. If I hear that one more time I will need more than a tea trolley.
Just to a a bit of levity after the war when they were taking prisoners
they especially wanted SS well it was easy they had their blood type
tattooed under their left arm showed rows of them walking by with their
arms up odd.

Danceswithtruth July 25, 2014 at 3:01 pm

A person spouting mere words is of little concern to me. The bigger concern is those who listen without any analytical or critical thinking; those who chose to engage in the “bobble-head effect” and clap mindlessly at empty words. Words are harmless, they are lifeless. It is people who latch onto words, embrace them as an ideology and dogma, and pursue action to carry out the intent of the words. This is not a bad thing when there is no ill intent involved. It is another thing entirely when the intent is nefarious. Those who latch onto words, dogma/ideology of nefarious intent are who frighten me.

Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, etc. none could have accomplished anything without others embracing the words and ideology. That this President can get so many to follow ill-conceived plans, even in the face of historical evidence showing negative consequences when others have done so, baffles me. Have we, as a nation, become so apathetic that we can no longer distinguish right and wrong? Obama isn’t the one I’m as worried about, he is powerless alone. It is those who support him and give him the power to carry out these plans and ideals that I fear more. People only do what they know they can get away with. That he is allowed to get away with so much tells me more about my fellow Americans than I ever wanted to know.

Junius July 25, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Dictator Obama is a hard core communist cut from the same cloth as a Stalin or Mao. Why are people so surprised now that he is openly talking and acting like one. It has been so obvious ever since he lied his way into the presidency in 2008 but the useful idiots who votef in the most dangerous enemythis country has ever faced wanted something for nothing and that’s what they have got – a nothing.

Something else to ask yourself after listening to and reading these totalitarian remarks: A person in power who speaks like this – is he really the type of ruler to give up power volutarily in 2016? Look for this tyrant to try to stay in power when his term is up. That’s a prediction.

Lee July 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

We have a terrible problem when he is insulting American Citizens. Same time he is doing nothing with his lips with ALL the foreign issues.
Let him use a couple of insults to Putin on the airwaves.
Let him stand up and make it clear we will no longer negotiate with Hamas. They are terrorist.

Corey July 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Ah, the fool will be gone before we know it. I’m just gonna ignore the ignorant crap that drivels from his mouth.

Julie Brueckheimer July 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Is this what is called a straw man? Obama says a few big corporations are doing this (starting a trend probably the implication), but he doesn’t name any names.

rulierose July 25, 2014 at 10:35 pm

1. Obama cannot be allowed to continue subverting the constitution and lying to We The People and golfing while the world burns.

2. since we’re stuck with him for a couple more years, we have to figure out an alternate way of stopping his agenda.

3. if the Senate goes Republican in November, it will be much easier to prevent Obama from further harming our country (or endangering our allies like Israel and Poland).

therefore…

4. it doesn’t matter whether your Senate candidate won the primary or not. it doesn’t matter if your GOP candidate is “too liberal” or “a RINO.” nor does it matter if your candidate is a “right-wing tea partier.” we all need to commit to voting for the Republican no matter what. it’s the only way.

take the pledge to fire Reid!

Anne Lieberman July 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Yup. He’s a nightmare.

deimos July 26, 2014 at 7:56 am

He studiously avoided mentioning GE, run by his crony jobs Czar Jeff Immelt and CEO of GE. The company reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion, and said $5.1 billion of the total came from its operations in the United States. Its American tax bill? None. In fact, G.E. claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion. Obama’s selective memory is at least very good but that is the only thing he does well.

Jeff1000 July 26, 2014 at 8:35 am

Forgot to mention but that was awesome analysis Keith. Hat tip to you Sir.

Keith Koffler July 28, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Thanks Jeff.

mark schlender July 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

leader……. only totalitarian regimes have them…. we have a leader

Matt July 27, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I feel racist just reading this!

Obama is the Home Improvement salesman that comes to the house, gets you all jazzed up about how great it’s going to look, about how bad your current design is… Only later does he get to the price. But, no worries, he can talk to his manager and get a discount (aka subsidy).

Joe August 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm

He could have a Major heart attack , just saying…

soljerblue August 8, 2014 at 5:41 pm

“You shouldn’t get to call yourself an American company only when you want a handout from American taxpayers. (Applause.) ”

Hey, Barry — same goes for the illegals who sneak INTO the country on your watch.