From the Washington Post:
U.S. Special Operations forces captured one of the suspected ringleaders of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in a secret raid in Libya over the weekend, the first time one of the accused perpetrators of the 2012 assaults has been apprehended, according to U.S. officials.
The officials said Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured Sunday near Benghazi by American troops, working alongside the FBI, following months of planning, and was now in U.S. custody “in a secure location outside Libya.” The officials said there were no casualties in the operation, and that all U.S. personnel involved have safely left Libya.
Abu Khattala’s apprehension is a major victory for the Obama administration, which has been criticized for having failed so far to bring those responsible for the Benghazi attacks to justice . . .
The State Department designated Abu Khattala a terrorist in January, calling him a “senior leader” of the Benghazi branch of the militant organization Ansar al-Sharia, a group that arose after the 2011 fall of the Libyan regime of Moammar Gaddafi.
This will help President Obama, but surely not as much as the White House thinks. It’s taken more than two and a half years to bring anyone to justice, and the questions about Benghazi have less to do with why we hadn’t apprehended anyone then what U.S. officials did the night of the raid and why we weren’t prepared for it.
Anyway, I’m glad to see it. Kudos to all our service men and women and law enforcement officials who seized this guy, and yes, congrats to Obama and the administration for sticking with this and seeing it through.