House to Hold Hearings on Bergdahl Deal

by Keith Koffler on June 2, 2014, 2:28 pm

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) today said that he will convene hearings on President Obama’s decision to release five Taliban leaders from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for a single American soldier, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

McKeon spoke today on Fox News:

We will be holding hearings. We will look into this. You know, this president has a reputation, I think well deserved, of deciding which laws he’s going to enforce and which laws he’s not going to enforce . . .

Our joy at Sergeant Bergdahl’s release is tempered by the fact that President Obama chose to ignore the law, not to mention sound policy, to achieve it,” they wrote. “Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans.

Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk . . .

More than Seventy-two hours after this deal has been done, we have still have not been told what they’re going to do to ensure that these top five Taliban leaders do not re-enter the fight.

“I mean, they have blood of thousands of Afghans and Americans on their hands, and we’re releasing them to Qatar. That’s all we know. Our information is coming from the media. We’re not hearing from the administration.

Owen_Kellogg June 2, 2014 at 2:32 pm

When does the court martial begin?

AFVet June 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm

At least five troops lost their life looking for him.

Lee June 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

They have been showing the faces of all the detainee’s let go, WITHOUT NOTIFYING CONGRESS 30 DAYS AGO!
AFVET Do you think at the same news set they should honor, and show the faces of our military, that lost their lives looking for Bergdahl?
If I can handle looking at both on the internet, I think the citizens here in America can handle the same on the TV.

Julie Brueckheimer June 2, 2014 at 3:35 pm

The Washington Standard shows six faces. I have read between four and eight (Bloomberg), but good on them: we desperately need faces assigned to the names.

Lee June 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks, I will pull it up now.

Lee June 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Martinek, Murphrey, Andrews, Curtiss, Walker, Bowen.
I pulled the article from the Washington Standard.

Langley Spook June 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm

…This is going to a Fiasco…

The Obama regime & sycophant Dems in the Congress & Main Stream Media…
>>>Will NEVER research/look into/mention the background of Berghdal becoming a “POW”? (aka; a US Solider walking off his post in a war-zone into the enemy territory…)

Lee June 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm

He has not been allowed to talk to his family yet.
Is that a common practice for men/woman who have been held captive?
I do not think we will here from him for a long time.
They do not want him to be asked the same questions, that we are asking here.
In history their have been fine men & woman who have made mistakes. I am glad he is out of that hell hole.
However he needs to answer to his actions.

Julie Brueckheimer June 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Of course they will, but the rest of us need to fight to get the truth out there.

Kate June 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Is there a reason concerns about Bergdahl’s actions and how he came to be a ‘prisoner’ for 5 years?

Frederick June 2, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Well, at least we no longer have to continue feeding and coddling those five. But I betcha they don’t know they each have a tiny RF Chip implanted in them so we’ll know where they are ALL the time. If they are not good, we can after a few months, just have a drone settle things.

Lee June 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I would think they would be removing such a chip ASAP
They can still sit their with their chip and cause evil in conversation and planning.

AZ Granny June 2, 2014 at 2:48 pm
ImNoDhimmi June 2, 2014 at 6:40 pm

What? This administration lied? My heart can’t stand the shock.

BB June 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm

So McKeon is concerned that what he knows is coming from the media – isn’t that how Obama often gets his info?

Langley Spook June 2, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Shep Smith on FNC is being a punk-ass biased Liberal…

-and kinda skipping over the FACTS that Berghdal as a US Solider walked off his post in war-zone…
Shep says thats ‘all politics’ to ‘figure out later’…

AFVet June 2, 2014 at 9:29 pm

It appears to me me that he was a deserter.
Only a fool or a deserter walks off an Army post in the middle of the night without a weapon.

srdem65 June 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm

More sound and fury from eunuched Repubs that will amount to nothing, change nothing, and mean nothing.

Even the MSM is asking if MrO “broke the law” with this transfer of terrorists, and if he did, so what? Who’s going to say the “I” word, who’s going to prevent this from happening again?
Answer: no one in Congress
As MrObama merrily rolls along inventing quasi-laws and ignoring rightfully enacted laws of our land, Congress convenes another committee. As the VA treats our veterans worse than a junk-yard dog deserves, they hold committee hearings.
The EPA decides what is suitable carbon emissions, the DOJ decides what is a legitimate business, and we form another committee to talk about it.

We’re sunk, cooked, fini; we have no legitimate press anymore, our whole of Congress is a lily-livered bunch concerned only with their own futures, our judiciary is biased and polluted, and here we are..sunk

New Yorker June 2, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I think this is too soon for the House Committee to do anything yet. I bet my bottom dollar the military is writing up documents for Bergdahl to be arrested, and he will sit before a military court to determine if he was AWOL or a deserter. Once that is done, then I can see the House committee doing their thing.

New Yorker June 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm

moderation jail??

Julie Brueckheimer June 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Yep. Me too.

srdem65 June 2, 2014 at 3:43 pm

me three

ImNoDhimmi June 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Odd, I have never had that problem on this site.

RobertM June 2, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I’m sorry, but my reaction to this announcement is, “Another Congressional hearing. Whoopty Doo!”

Julie Brueckheimer June 2, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I’ve noticed that the public gets fired up when veterans and military are treated badly so this time will be different. It’s time for the military to resist Obama. They serve us and our country, not Obama and the Democratic Party.

I hopeful this will assist the investigations into Benghazi and the Veterans’ Administration. It’s all cut from military cloth.

Robin H June 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm

As a country we do love our military. But I have to agree with Robert. Is there any House committee that’s NOT holding any hearings? That must be all they’re doing all day.

Julie Brueckheimer June 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Good! I’m glad they’re doing it right away. Part of Obama’s strategy with all his scandals, is to delay, delay, delay so that in the end he can plead “that is soooooo old news”. I hope Congress has learned this. Are they instituting a VA committee?

Lee June 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Off topic:
Anyone cartch the news of the NSA with their facial reconition?
Everyone: Stop! Think back 40 years ago. Someone tells you within your lifetime the all the privacy you are going to loose. We would all state: No way!
Are you reading a science fiction book? Get real! The citizens of America would not stand for an ounce of their privacy to be invaded.

Zephyr Dmm June 2, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I have a friend who won’t comment anywhere on the web. Due to no privacy. And fears what his employer may find. The employer is a state uni.
Sad state we are in.

Grandma Di June 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Getting closer to the mandatory dictate that every household & business have a poster sized photo of Obama prominently displayed..

Langley Spook June 2, 2014 at 4:58 pm

…where is my copy of “1984″?
Everytime Im exposed to the ‘MSM’ (ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, MSNBC & the dopes in the local Media markets -which are the worse…) I think of “1984″

Lee June 2, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Tks, I forgot to mention the book as well.

Zephyr Dmm June 3, 2014 at 1:50 pm

My husband just bought us t-shirts: Atlas Shrugged – now non fiction.

gracepmc June 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Comes with the census forms.

Langley Spook June 2, 2014 at 5:01 pm

This Berghdal story is another “positive” distraction for Obama…

-Lets all talk about this POW/(US Army deserter?) Berghdal and NOT talk about Obama…

Go figure.

Star June 2, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I agree–story on Fox on how the civilians in the VA would not let the docs operate past 3 PM. I also heard a doc last week say people waiting in the clinic where he worked were shooed out when 4 PM came, no matter how long they drove to get there.

rulierose June 2, 2014 at 5:34 pm

not content merely to break the law and go around Congress, the Obama Regime doubled down and sent–wait for it–SUSAN RICE to the Sunday talk shows to explain the decision.

and naturally, since this gang is incapable of telling the truth, Rice announced that this soldier “served with valor,” a statement that the Pengaton, among others, refutes. srsly, Susan? why didn’t you just blame the video again?

rulierose June 2, 2014 at 5:35 pm

“Pengaton”? ok, little dyslexia going on…that should be Pentagon. sheesh.

ImNoDhimmi June 2, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I must have dyslexia too. I read the original as Pentagon.

AZ Granny June 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm

A Pentagon investigation concluded in 2010 Bergdahl was a deserter. Didn’t Obama and any of his aides read anything about this guy before the swap?

Meanwhile, the 5 Taliban murderers that Obama released returned home to a hero’s welcome, according to ABC.

Sportinlife10 June 2, 2014 at 6:27 pm

And where of where is Prisoner of War McCain? His silence is deafening!

Sportinlife10 June 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm

“of”=”oh”.

Star June 2, 2014 at 6:46 pm

He has spoken up–was on Sunday–said these are the worst of the worst terrorists… So now there is another POW vet you can question…bigger field.

Moe June 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm

That remains to be seen Granny, this story is not pretty. There is more going on here than meets the eye I’m sure.

Moe June 2, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Should have read a little more carefully, thought you were talking about Bergdahl . Sorry!

Sportinlife10 June 2, 2014 at 6:39 pm

It’s hard to keep these scandals/treasons straight.

Fudge June 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm

blah, blah, blah Hearings up the ass, “investigations”, questions, committees, worthless held in contempt charges, blah, blah, blah.

NO ONE WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

CiscoKid June 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Contempt of Congress…with six you get egg-roll.
Fudge, I couldn’t having said it better. Well said.

Mike Truth June 4, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Wow & YAWN, all the money spent on “hearings”, and we have zero results, from either side of the aisle. Why doesn’t somebody man up and start arresting these people that break the law? Hearings? That’s just what we need another hearing.