Obama Assigns Troops to Global Warming Detail

by Keith Koffler on May 28, 2014, 2:37 pm

President Obama today told the graduating class at West Point that they will be forced to respond to the effects of global warming:

Keep in mind, not all international norms relate directly to armed conflict.  We have a serious problem with cyber-attacks, which is why we’re working to shape and enforce rules of the road to secure our networks and our citizens.  In the Asia Pacific, we’re supporting Southeast Asian nations as they negotiate a code of conduct with China on maritime disputes in the South China Sea.  And we’re working to resolve these disputes through international law.

That spirit of cooperation needs to energize the global effort to combat climate change — a creeping national security crisis that will help shape your time in uniform, as we are called on to respond to refugee flows and natural disasters and conflicts over water and food, which is why next year I intend to make sure America is out front in putting together a global framework to preserve our planet.

Our military is going to be responding to conflicts over food? Well, how about we decide right now that once we’re able to grow mangoes in North Dakota we ship the produce wherever it’s needed instead of sending out troops, okay?

Those Malthusians, always running out of food.

Langley Spook May 28, 2014 at 2:48 pm

*YAWN*
‘Barack Hussein Obama’, this so called “Pres/CINC” has NO CLUE, UNDERSTANDING or RESPECT for the “US Military”…

-I could have told yous back in 2008…

MarjoJimbo May 28, 2014 at 2:51 pm

With all that is going on in our country and world, he talks about global warming?

Whoever is behind him is pushing this nutty agenda. But why?

Geoff Caldwell May 28, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Money and tons of it. The carbon economy is too mature for the Soros/Steyer bunch to rape the billions they want so a government forced mandated green economy to which they get all the inside contracts is the only way to go and Obama’s more than happy to give it to him. He’s never truly been an “American” President, he’s always been a globalist so in O’s eyes he’s doing exactly what he should be doing to make America pay for her past and repent in her future.

AFVet May 28, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Or maybe the scandals are beginning to suffocate him.

Star May 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm

When he makes the tides rise, they can bail.

Langley Spook May 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm

…I always wanted to be a US Military Officer…

~If I had the chance I would throw my “Officer Commision” in the face of CINC/”Pres” ‘Barack Hussein Obama’…

Geoff Caldwell May 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm

WTF?
This guy is more than an embarrassment. Iran, a real threat he ignores. For his precious Soros buddies he will impose crippling economic sanctions on America via the EPA but yet ignore that China is building coal plants as fast as it can. For his corporate buds he’ll throw open the borders for cheap labor.
He may be the first 1/2 black President but he’s also the first completely UN-American President in our entire history.
“High crimes and misdemeanors” doesn’t even begin to address the crimes against this nation he is complicit in.

Sadie May 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Six years into the job, he declares and defines America (his America). In a nutshell of a brain – there is no America unless it’s tethered to the UN, since the UN has done such a fine job. The man has overdosed on “fiber” and sounds like Metamucil on steroids.

“I believe in American exceptionalism with every fiber of my being, working through NATO and the UN will dominate American foreign policy,”This is American leadership, American strength.”

Geoff Caldwell May 28, 2014 at 3:02 pm

The problem is that an empty vessel of steaming crap has neither fiber nor being.

Sadie May 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Correct, but the stench is a killer.

Star May 28, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Come on, guys, can’t we class this up a little…check next comments, too.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Idiot.

Darkangel May 28, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’d say he has an IQ to match his hat size, but considering his inflated self-opinion–sometimes referred to as having a “big head”–such a wisecrack could be counter-productive.

an IQ that matches his…inseam? Ring size? Hmm.

Oh, I’ve got it. He has an IQ to match his condom size: 4XS.

Julie Brueckheimer May 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Like!

Star May 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

ew

Geoff Caldwell May 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Talking condom size assumes he has a d**k in the first place.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Tucked in. Perhaps inoperable.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Seriously. There seems to be a testosterone component to all of this. Drudge linked headlines — Obama I am not Weak. Kerry to Snowden Man Up.

Obama is flailing — and despite all his talk of 21st century blah blah blah he is down and dirty with ginning up fear and concern and distraction. As you said old wagging tail.

It’s a mess. Laughable if not so dangerous. Unbalanced. Desperate.

Scottso May 28, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Unfortunately he’s not an idiot. Just someone who’d rather prepare to fight windmills and dragons than Iranians, Syrians and the Chinese.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I say again, idiot.

Star May 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

This stuff–pardon me–is starting to sound a little unhinged. Who is writing for him these days, anyone over 25?

Geoff Caldwell May 28, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Soros, Gore and Steyer love it, they’re going to make billions.

Julie Brueckheimer May 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

As I’ve said before, I despise globalism. About 18 years ago I took one year of German history at a university. When we were at the end of the WWII period, our professor made the aside that America can no longer afford to be the food basket of the world. Nor can we be the food police.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Globalism like communalism never works. At the core of everything is the individual. Hard enough for families to cooperate.

Charlie Horky May 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

More Nonsense from someone that never wore the uniform. How could he know this sense of commitment. I feel sorry for the class that they had to hear this crap but still I’m honored that regardless of who holds this office, at least The President of the United States attended this day.

Km May 28, 2014 at 3:44 pm

You know if he were not the smartest man, sorry person, in the room then one could mistakenly think they were making this stuff up as they went along.

DMcG May 28, 2014 at 4:08 pm

A couple of months ago, Obama spent two hours in the Central Valley of CA, “justifying” his three-day trip to Southern CA for golf and to give money to foreigners.

He spoke to farmers who wanted him to address the severe water shortage, arguable caused by his administration, Congress, and mis-application of the Endangered Species Act. Millions of people are out of work, billions of dollars are being lost, including hard assets like producing fruit and nut trees that will take most of a decade to replace. Obama’s answer? It’s all the fault of global warming, and you need to deal with it. Thanks, Barack. I guess we in CA are safe Democrat votes and he doesn’t need to help.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Montel Williams, a Marine of 20 years, is on fire on Cavuto.

Sadie May 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I am watching as we type.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I’m on a seminar and can’t do both and this. Hope you do summary. :)

Lee May 28, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Just saw it as well. He said O just made a speech about sending money somewhere. He should have said he was sending money ASAP today to the VA Vets.

Sadie May 28, 2014 at 4:15 pm

The report hit the fan. I heard that the hearings will begin/continue this evening. This is going to be a big “effin” deal.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Sadie and Lee — I hope to catch it later if rerun.

Star May 28, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Montel was heartfelt! He called for a SURGE IN CARE–he says there are DoD funds that could rush people on those lists to care immediately.

Lee May 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

It will more than likely be rerun if not discussed.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Here is a link with the Montel interview. Plain spoken with some painful truth.

Julie Brueckheimer May 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Thanks.

Sadie May 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Obama really shouldn’t be talking globull hot or cold.

CNN’s international correspondent Jim Clancy called the West Point response to President Obama’s meandering foreign policy address “pretty icy” Wednesday.

randy May 28, 2014 at 4:17 pm

the graduating cadet should have laughed this ass wipe out of the hall

Lee May 28, 2014 at 4:26 pm

To all the Cadets we are proud of you. I just think he would have been playing golf today, if this VA issue had not hit the fan.

Ellen May 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I think the only reason the graduates weren’t laughing is they had all tuned him out by then. CNN called their response “tepid”.

Congrats to all the service academy graduates. I hope they realize that, despite some recent signs to the contrary, they will be defending the greatest country in the world.

DeniseVB May 28, 2014 at 4:45 pm

It’s funny reading all the media summaries of the speech. Icy, tepid responses were the words most used, lol. Also someone said it was like listening to a rebuttal to Rand Paul’s criticisms.

And yes, those awkward pauses in his speech were the “applause breaks” like we guessed in the live streaming thread. Boy were his writers wrong on that one!

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm

OT Valerie Plame versus COS Afghanistan. The conservatives do themselves no favor by comparing the two. But the hypocrisy of the media in covering it is a concern.

That said, I am not totally convinced this was just an incompetent blunder — accidental, sloppy etc. –. I take nothing at face value with this administration. That went all the way up the food chain for release and no one caught it?

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Beckel said that to suggest the POTUS does not care about the fate of US intelligence agents “borders on treason.” Really?

I don’t have a problem with Beckel by and large, but lately his comments are an good indicator of how sort of “back to the wall” the libs are in defense of the Admin. All puffed up — to suggest –treason.

Star May 28, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I get the impression he particularly dislikes Watters. Petty.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Watters doesn’t back down from Beckel.

Star May 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Nope.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Meanwhile Putin is creating quite a mess with his takeover — Donetsk very unsettling. Best I can determine global warning not the immediate threat.

veritaseequitas May 28, 2014 at 7:20 pm

How much of what falls from those golden lips does Barack really believe?

Nina Murphy May 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Cyber attacks? Rules of the (cyber) road? Does no one in the White House remember the giant computer sign up snafu called “Obamacare”? I don’t think it’s running smoothly yet!

Lee May 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Is anyone listening to the hearing? Doug Lamborn just called for Pejeski’s resignation. Please excuse the spelling of his name.

Lee May 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Democrat Brown is now yelling!

MarjoJimbo May 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm

She sounds idiotic to me, not professional.

MarjoJimbo May 28, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Is anyone listening to her?!

Lee May 28, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I’m sorry I had to turn it off. I was hoping that someone would tell her to change her tone of voice and stop yelling.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I just checked in some freshman congresswoman is badgering the VA bureaucrats. Not good — she is demeaning and rude. I hope she is not a Republican but suspects she is.

Walorski, R, Indiana.

And now a Dem — I waiting for “:started under Bush”.

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

In light of what I saw and the comments above about Brown I hope this hearing is not going to center around the righteous indignation of Congress at the expense of helping to identify responsible parties and move to solving or at the very least addressing the problem.

So far looks like a Congressional outrage parade — both sides participating. And no, I do not feel one bit sorry for the VA people, but I don’t think not allowing them to answer is useful.

MarjoJimbo May 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I just saw a clip of Obama giving out diplomas. Was he chewing gum?!?

Julie Brueckheimer May 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I’ve read elsewhere that a CNN anchor described Obama’s reception at West Point today as “pretty icy”. So to all here who like myself won’t listen to him, there it is.

Lee May 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm

That is why I stopped watching CNN.

Star May 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm

So you think the reaction was NOT icy?

gracepmc May 28, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I heard a cadet saluted him and Obama either shook his hand or extended his in response.

No citation.