White House Suggests it Won’t Cooperate with Benghazi Panel

by Keith Koffler on May 5, 2014, 2:01 pm

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney today indicated the White House will refuse to cooperate with a new House committee tasked with investigating Benghazi.

“We have always cooperated with legitimate oversight,” Carney said this afternoon during the daily White House briefing. Asked whether the panel qualified as “legitimate,” he said: “I think if you look at what even some Republicans have said, it certainly casts doubt on the legitimacy of an effort that is so partisan in nature.”

“You know, at some point, you just have to assume that Republicans will continue this because it feeds a political objective of some sort,” he added. “At the same time you have to ask, ‘What about the American people who want to see Congress work for them?’”

Meanwhile, House Speaker Boehner today announced that Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) will chair the Benghazi committee.

“With four of our countrymen killed at the hands of terrorists, the American people want answers, accountability, and justice,” Boehner said. “Trey Gowdy is as dogged, focused, and serious-minded as they come.”

Geoff Caldwell May 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm

In my best Gomer Pyle: Suuuuhhhprise, suuuuhhrpise, suuuuhprise, well goooooooooollllllllllllyyyyyyy Sargent there is just no end to the arrogance of these soul less piles of human crap is there.

Playrighter May 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Well put, sir.

Geoff Caldwell May 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Or perhaps Benghazi reminds us all just how much of a coward Obama really is:

Playrighter May 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Do you have incontrovertible proof that Obama didn’t spend part of his Vegas trip atop the Stratosphere — so that he could get a really good view of all that is beneath him?

I think his quote on the four deaths got mixed up on the TP: It was meant to read “not optimal optics”.

BTW: Almost 20 months. Has he gotten to the bottom of it yet?

AFVet May 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm

He can’t say because the investigation is still in progress.
Damn Right !

csanders May 6, 2014 at 12:35 am

so true Obama is a lair and can’t be trusted and NOT born in the USA either!! IMPEACH!!!csanders

Lee May 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As stated by Playrighter, Well Put.
I just signed on. Hope I am not repeating anything, anyone else has said. However this is not Partisan in nature.
This is getting to the bottom of the issue, so it does not happen again.
They want to look our military, and Ambassdors, etc. and tell them their is no need to find out why not even an attempt to rescue them. Tell them no need to find out details because this will never hapen again. sarc
Tell them we got your back sarc
Tell them just do your duty, and your own your own. sarc
I could go own and own.

Elaine May 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

An arrogant bastard working for a greater arrogant bastard.

Sadie May 5, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Exactly!

Zephyr Dmm May 5, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Like /|\

Jude Hurin May 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Obama and his elites and muslim brotherhood rep’s should be thrown into jail!!! My Lord Jesus will deal with them very soon if they do not repent from their evil ways. Count on it!! Time is short.

Star May 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm

So…the takeaway is that only Republicans care about brutally killed Americans and subsequent lies? Well, good for them!

Sadie May 5, 2014 at 2:21 pm

The only thing missing from Carney’s remarks is a Kim Jong-un haircut. In any third world regime, the opposition is always regarded as illegitimate.

Michael May 5, 2014 at 2:25 pm

It’s clear that Obama considers himself to be the judge and the jury in this matter.

If he doesn’t consider Congressional oversight to be “legitimate”, then it’s not legitimate.

If he considers the matter to be just a political and phony scndal, then that’s what it is.

If he believes that the investigation should be complete because his obstruction and stonewalling have been successful, then, by golly, the investigation is over.

Similarly, if he decrees that the debate on Obamacare is over, then it’s finished.

Mind boggling (and always so self-serving) arrogance, it seems.

Zephyr Dmm May 5, 2014 at 6:28 pm

“Not even a smidgen”. Smarmy punk
I just can not forget his statement in about Sept/October 2008:
“I’m about to be president of the United States of America.”

anneinarkansas May 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm

That will be a big mistake (another one) by the White House and the Democrats. The more they protest, the guiltier they appear to the American people who have every right to know the truth.

Scottso May 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm

The Liberal when they don’t want to speak about one thing, will answer: Let’s discuss the future. Not the past. Let’s talk about something else.

Langley Spook May 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm

“American people”… I have no trust there.
The masses of ignorant “voters” (re: “American people”) voted for this ‘Barack Hussein Obama’ in 2008/2012…

AFVet May 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Living people or dead people ?

Langley Spook May 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Ha!
Well played Sir.

Don Purser May 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm

There are three EQUAL branches of government. The WH has NO authority to reject this investigation. It’s time for indictments – and imprisonment if necessary – just so the investigation can occur.

Lee May 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus May 5, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Exactly.

Phil_GA May 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm

OK, fine. Then, when a Select Committee in the House is duly constituted (and/or such a body in the Senate), upon formation thereof, expedite a subpoena process via the US Marshall Service to the White House — beginning with least senior official and moving up — until such time as the White House complies.

If the White House continues to insist that a duly-constituted committee is purely “partisan,” then — upon having attempted to serve a sufficiently senior-enough White House official, threaten impeachment proceedings against POTUS simply by drawing up actual articles of impeachment.

At that stage, we will be sufficiently close enough to the mid-term elections that the White House will be completely powerless to do anything except cause Democrat rank-and-file membership to gag.

Then, the Legislative will have check-mated the Executive, where the Speaker will not allow anything to go anywhere until movement occurred on the Select Committee.

This is but one potential scenario of the Washington power-play that could occur over the next half year or so.

judybeth May 5, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Sadly, Republicans manage to ‘snatch defeat out of victory’ on nearly every critical issue! My optimism has been destroyed, but I support your most optimistic scenarios.

I hope you are correct and the mid-terms will have an impact in the most important task of ‘restoring’ some semblance of confidence and trust of the American citizens in our government/national security – One Election/One Cmte (or more)Investigation at a time!

Pat May 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

“Not a legitimate effort”, a Republican political act and the White House is not going to cooperate? The spin has begun….something to set a smoke screen while they try to dig up something they can smear Trey Gowdy and his family with….It’s going to get ugly, the information is coming in “fast and furious”, faster than they can whitewash it and whiffle it off, so the attacks on the committee and Republicans will get very ugly….

Peggy May 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

lmao, so what else is new……….one didn’t really expect the thugs to co-op

Harv Sibley May 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

So, what is the over under on how many days until the far left digs up some obscure comment by Gowdy and they begin the chants of racism…… Trust me, this is how they operate.

H

AFVet May 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Or formulate an attack on his family.

CiscoKid May 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm

They’ve had the entire weekend to prepare a plan and it will be one of attack, as vicious as those in the past.
It didn’t take long for dingy Harry to call it “a vast , ‘ I guess that’s me ‘, right wing conspiracy ” by the Koch Brothers.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Go at it through Hillary Clinton. After all, “they won’t be accusing her of being born in Kenya”. And Leon Panetta. And Mullins and that other guy who whitewashed it in their report. Go after all the white people until only Obama is left. Draw the net tighter and tighter around the big fish.

mark schlender May 5, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Trey Gowdy is the perfect person for the job. It gives me hope that this republic will survive when he is running the committee.

While the sophomoric comments about Trey’s hairstyle will fill the airwaves I know that the more about hair means that there is nothing else for the Administration to hide behind.

Cee May 5, 2014 at 2:39 pm

The failure to cooperate indicates there is something to hide. Someone proclaiming a “transparent” administration would be falling all over himself to no only cooperate but should have initiated the investigation on the assumption that a lower level official operated outside his authority.

blondie May 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Is this legally possible? Can they do this without, as you said a “Constitutional crisis”?
If there is nothing to hide,why not just let light shine on it?

Moe May 5, 2014 at 2:46 pm

This is what I’m thinking, how in the world can they not cooperate? Need to find some lawyers opinions here.

chris mahoney May 5, 2014 at 2:45 pm

This was Article III of Nixon’s impeachment.

Lee May 5, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I tried pulling it up. Do you have the internet site, I could pull that up?

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Good point, Chris.

Lee May 5, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Pulled up article III. I will print the site I just pulled up and show it to as many people as I can.

academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/history…mimparticles.ht

unaffiliated party, just American May 5, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I don’t belong to either party because I don’t believe in the two party system and I am an American. What happened in Benghazi is shameful and the ducking and covering is even more shameful. Why is caring about fellow Americans something that is illegitimate. IT is nothing less than what we should expect from our government. They are so involved in my personal life, the least they can do is to be concerned when one of us is killed and tortured overseas by terrorists.

ol gator May 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Years ago, my grandpa told me of a govt. that was mostly true to the term “public service”. He’d be so very shocked & sad to see how that same govt. has become so opposite to where we now need protection from it.

We need Patriots, not politicians.. but where are they?

Lee May 5, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Both of my Grandfathers and Father would be furious!

Jack Basset May 5, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Jay Carney and the rest of the Obama regime have decided that the balance of powers in our government does not exist. It is time to prove to these bastards that it does exist.

TimG May 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I thought part of Congress’ work was oversight of the executive branch? If it is, and the executive branch told me that 4 Americans, including the Ambassador were murdered, I would want a ligitimate answer. If the answer provided was found to be untrue I would implore them to dig deeper. This was a coverup before the first shot was fired and an epic failure and tragedy.

Bert Byers May 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

This is perfect; the repressive party has a chance to prove beyound a shadow of a doubt what they have been saying about Benghazi since September 2012 — and they choose not to participate in the congressional investigation. Come on, what will the American people think of this maneuver? Suppose every minority party in Congress or the Senate refused to participate with the majority in whatever they were doing — what kind of mass gridlock would we have then? Stand up for yourself and the American people, insist on a place at the table so you can prove what you have been saying all along…

CiscoKid May 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm

As far as I’m concerned MrCarney, it will be a legitimate oversight committee, investigating a corrupt and therefore a illegitimate Obama administration,

Lizzy May 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Guess they’re going with the ‘Dude that was 2 years ago’ line.
They dig themselves in a deeper hole with every lie they tell.
Not to mention the nauseating feeling that they have no feelings for
the four dead American’s. This shows Obama for what he is a sniveling
coward and a blowhard with a God complex. Sad day for America.

Lizzy May 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm

This is what the Obama’s want to leave as a legacy

Tears of an ice lady: Michelle Obama comforts usually steely Vogue editor Anna Wintour as Met opens costume center in her name

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2620593/Michelle-Obama-inaugurates-new-Met-costume-center.html#ixzz30ry1FeN6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And big guys pen and phone.

Girly1 May 5, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Diana Vreeland was the curator and consultant for the original costume museum. Wintour cannot hold a candle to the legendary Vreeland! Look for another VOGUE cover spread featuring the WH fashion icon. Maybe she will don her iconic short shorts and tank top as showcased on AF1 back in 2009.

Lizzy May 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm

It’s so heartwarming to see a room full of conceited over indulged
wealthy women to boost our spirits and bring a tear to our eyes.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I agree with you about Vreeland! So, they named it after Wintour and not Vreeland?

Marcus May 5, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Ah, the coverup of Benghazi becomes institutionalized amongst the Democrat patricians. It will be interesting to observe the tactics they employ as the story continues to unfold. They have much of the press on their side, of course. But the citizenry…. not so much. It will be political suicide by coverup for them. I wonder if there will be enough blue Kool Aid for all.

BB May 5, 2014 at 3:04 pm

In the field I work in, our reports are periodically audited by an independent firm who is charged with independently replicating all of our calculations. When they ask a question, I make a real effort to answer it completely, because I want them to agree that what I did was right. If I discovered a problem, I might be a little more evasive. When I audit other firms, I assume the same – so if they are giving me the run around, I get suspicious and dig deeper.

So – if the “most transparent ever” administration has nothing to hide, they would cooperate fully to help Mr. Gowdy see how everything they did/said was appropriate and to make his life easier. Maybe they don’t realize that balking will make it look like they are hiding something. (sarcasm)

AFVet May 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Trey Gowdy is to head the committee, just announced on Fox News.
Some Dems have stated that they will boycott the committee.
That is fine with me, all they seem to do is inhibit the process.
They should NOT be re-elected.

AFVet May 5, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Moderation x3 today.
I’m outta here, too frustrating.

Lee May 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I read all comments. Thank you.
I was 12 in 1972. I kept up with the war and news back than.
I respected Nixon, but did not become a blind sheep.
I felt he should be impeached as well. Just because I like want he had done prior, I did not give him a green light.

JustSomeLibertarian May 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm

So the Executive branch gets to decide what is “Legitimate” oversight?

I don’t believe that’s what the founder’s intended…

Barbara Apon May 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm

He did say the American people wants Congress to work for them..Finely they are…exposing this is most important time we can be doing at this time..I think their on the run….

Walter Luffman May 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I was taught long ago to look at both sides of every issue, both from my own position and from that of the other person. This philosophy keeps me honest in business dealings, and also gives me insight into the other party’s motives.

Looking at both sides of this particular issue, it appears to me that the Administration accuses the opposition of the things it (the Administration) itself does. While there undoubtedly is partisanship on both sides of the matter, I’d say the Administration’s motives throughout have been more partisan than those of their critics. This is a fairly effective method of diverting investigators, especially in the media, from their work; if the investigation can be redirected at the critics in order to establish their motivations, the original targets of the investigation may escape being looked at too seriously.

But the people calling for investigation, and those actually performing the investigation, need to remain focused on getting to the bottom of the allegations and exposing the truth there. If, in the process of doing this they also discover partisan improprieties on the accusers’ side, they should look into that too, but not at the expense of the original investigation.

Bottom line: Republicans, conservatives and investigators, keep digging and demanding the truth of the matter. The smell of gunsmoke strongly suggests a smoking gun somewhere; it’s your job to find it and determine who fired the shot.

Phil_GA May 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm

What Walter said :)

duseldorf May 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Time for the whores at the White Hut to respect the US Constitution.

A.J. May 5, 2014 at 10:34 pm

The what?

duseldorf May 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

An illegal presidency begets all that is illegal.

ac May 5, 2014 at 3:21 pm

The president has hired and put on the White House staff a lawyer who practices in criminal law

Marilyn May 5, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Well…he is a criminal.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I forget his name, but Keith had an article about him not too long ago. Worked for Clinton too, I think.

Girly1 May 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Surprise! NOT !

veritaseequitas May 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm

WTF? The Occupier of The White House is not going to be accountable to the American people at the behest of the Select Committee on Benghazi? The arrogance is astounding.

gracepmc May 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Please God, have the committee chaired by Trey Gowdy call Jay Carney.

gracepmc May 5, 2014 at 7:36 pm

4 hours it took to make this comment.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Sorry about your delay. Jay Carney should be called because he participated in the lies and cover-up.

kjatexas May 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm

That the WH is refusing to cooperate, indicates just how serious, their transgressions must be, re Benghazi.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm

!

John Howe May 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Carney & many others keep bring the GOP “political agenda” here. But it’s OK for Dems to have “political agendas.” I realize much is unfounded, for distraction and disinformation, but REALLY?
The Administration seems to violate the Hatch act, even after President Barack Obama signed the ‘Hatch Act Modernization Act of 2012′ on December 28, 2012 (curious at that), at almost every turn, almost every day. Days of governance by imperial fiat and exec orders violate many of those provisos. Especially: ON DUTY, and IN A GOVERNMENT OFFICE.
Is there no serious watchdog for such behavior, and they just get Teflon® byes?

srdem65 May 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Oh. Come. On. Like the man said….if your briefcase is empty, then open it up and show us………

Girly1 May 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Lol !

Junius May 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Dictators answer to no one, no one, and Obama is in his own mind and in fact a Dictator. He answers to no one especially his enemies, the republicans and the american people.

PBB May 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm

If the committee stays focused on the task set forth by Boehner then they can succeed. The Democrats in the House will come across that their President is not responsible for his actions and is beyond accountability. If they start going into IRS, Fast and Furious, etc.(which are just as serious) then they will be viewed as a witch hunt ( I wonder if Mooch would get nervous then).

MerryCarol May 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Sic ‘em, Trey!

ronifer May 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Our Lying King of course doesn’t want us to know that he had retired – and had left word that he was not to be disturbed until the next morning !!

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm

It doesn’t surprise me or frighten me. This is stonewalling of the highest degree, and I have optimism that Trey Gowdy will know how to deal with it. It’s really nothing new: haven’t Obama and the Democrats called everything that comes from the opposite side of the aisle “not legitimate””? Another ploy from the fascists.

Donald Titus May 5, 2014 at 5:20 pm

What further evidence is needed to show obama has something to hide?

WeroInNM May 5, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Blowing a whistle on Benghazi: There’s no hiding four murders! (Part 2)
“Food For Thought”
Hello: When Are Americans Going To Wake Up?-God Bless America!
Semper Fi!
Jake

gracepmc May 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm

4 hours later and I am still in moderation.

Lee May 5, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Will read your comment when it appears…

JH Laprime May 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm

If they don’t cooperate, arrest them and drag them in front of the committee in handcuffs or chains…..

Denise May 5, 2014 at 8:22 pm

That would be like Marie Antoinette offering to help sharpen the guillotine blade. We don’t need their “cooperation”; the truth will surface sooner if they stay out of the process. Americans want answers, and if the democrats want to hide the truth, voters will speak loudly in November.

Brenda S Geist May 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm

How low can this President go? The American people deserve to know what happened. The only reason for the White House to issue their statement is they are hiding all of the information. It might make the Pres look bad, but he already looks bad along with his wife. Rob the taxpayers and hide the fact that he does not know what he is doing. We probably will not have a country when he leaves office. The foreign governments are already laughing at the US and the Pres. What a mess the Pres, his staff, and family have made of the US.

just-saying May 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

““We have always cooperated with legitimate oversight…”

Carney: And we’ll decide what’s legitimate.

Grandma Di May 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm