Boehner Blames GOP for Shutdown

by Keith Koffler on January 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Appearing on the Jay Leno show last night, House Speaker John Boehner agreed with Democrats that Republicans were to blame for last year’s government shutdown. What’s more, he revealed he never believed in the fight and just went along because his caucus demanded it.

Listen, I told my colleagues in July I didn’t think shutting down the government over Obamacare would work because the president said I’m not going to negotiate,” Boehner said. “And so I told them in August, ‘probably not a good idea.’ Told them in early September.

But when you have my job, there’s something you have to learn. When I looked up, I saw my colleagues going this way. You learn that a leader without followers is simply a man taking a walk. So I said, do you want to fight this fight? I’ll go fight the fight with you.

But it was a very predictable disaster,” he continued. “And so the sooner we got it over with the better.

Boehner also said he’d never forsake the good life to run for president:

And he offered a kind-of endorsement for Jeb Bush, saying Bush “is my friend, and I frankly think he’d make a great president.”

Holly January 24, 2014 at 9:19 am

I don’t like this man.

Gayle Marlow January 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm

what Hazel answered I am dazzled that someone able to get paid $9844 in one month on the computer . check out the post right here>>> TEC80.COM

Marilyn Ferguson January 25, 2014 at 2:15 pm

what Kim said I didn’t even know that a single mom able to earn $4355 in four weeks on the internet . look at this web-site>>> F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

Car in January 24, 2014 at 9:31 am

Yea, he’s got it made. The good life. The life of a politicians. Our rulers. Go-along-to-get-along Boehner.

They make me sick.

Ethel G. Woods January 26, 2014 at 2:18 pm

My Uncle Lucas recently got a fantastic metallic Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan by working part-time from a home pc… see this website>>> TEC80.­COM

Girly1 January 24, 2014 at 9:45 am

Have another glass of wine and a cigarette, Mr. Weeper.

Aileen January 24, 2014 at 9:55 am

So now…wine, cigs, golf and mowing are higher priorities than serving our country?
What a shame. Shame, shame, shame.

srdem65 January 24, 2014 at 10:00 am

He’s not blaming the Republicans, but rather the tea party section of the Republicans. As for the “shutdown”, the only thing that closed down were the national monuments and historic parks that punished innocent citizens and our venerable veterans.

DeniseVB January 24, 2014 at 10:59 am

The White House shut down the parks and monuments, I’m surprised Boehner didn’t point that finger in the name of fair and balanced :)

Mandy Manners January 24, 2014 at 10:15 am

How many glasses of red wine did he have before this appearance?

Susan January 24, 2014 at 10:19 am

It’s not about you, you disgusting waste of oxygen, it’s about preserving our Republic. Take your jug of wine and your cigs and go mow your lawn and let a real leader who cares about this country take command. Despicable RINO pig.

Junius January 24, 2014 at 10:25 am

This clown is an absolute disgrace. Talk about a “leader” stabbing his own troops in the back! Completely corrupted and co-opted by the democrat communist party, especially by Dictator Obama whom Boehner seems to be mortally afraid of. The democrats must have some really sleazy dirt on this idiot. Until the republicans remove persons like Boehner from any positions of power and indeed from elected office, the Republican Party will be the party of surrender and defeat. The arrogance of this nicotine pickled rumpot is staggering.

Julie Brueckheimer January 24, 2014 at 12:20 pm
AZ Granny January 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

I wonder what the Obama thugs have on this guy.

DeniseVB January 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

…..and John Roberts ? The Obama administration is sure picking off his critics one by one with criminal indictments. Messages sent.

MarjoJimbo January 24, 2014 at 11:30 am

Exactly my thoughts, too.

AFVet January 24, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Maybe nothing,…but the IRS can make your life miserable trying to find something.

Mandy Manners January 24, 2014 at 11:06 am

This’ll give a great soundbite for Democrats’ commercials before the general election in November.

Julie Brueckheimer January 24, 2014 at 11:31 am

Yes, people have forgotten about the government shutdown, and now he is bringing it up when Republicans should be hitting hard on Obamacare.. There is a concerted effort between RINOs like Boehner and the Democrats to destroy the conservatives.

Mandy Manners January 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

This harms the GOP more than the tea parties.

Julie Brueckheimer January 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm

It harms both in the end, and I’m not trying to humor you. The bottom line is that the Republicans cannot win without support from its conservatives. They are the base. The RINOs cannot destroy the base and then expect it to vote for them. This time around the conservatives are not going to knuckle down to the RINOs: they will stay home or vote on principle for third party. Your loss, John Boehner.

clay williams January 24, 2014 at 11:10 am

OMG …Boehner is such a nimcompoop! So NOW he is running around telling people that he ,as Speaker, was against the Shutdown….what Spineless SOB he has turned out to be! Now he is recommending Jeb (yet another Bush ) for president. As I remember Jeb has always been a politician and we DO NOT need another bush any more than another Clinton.
Surely our Party has SOMEONE who is Smart enough to fill the office and Conservative enough to get us out of the Crap Obama has created.
Boehner should be put out si he can Play Golf and drink RED WINE to his heart’s content! We need someone with “Balls” enough to stand up against the Reids and Pelosis etc.

AFVet January 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Keep in mind that the Speaker does not have to be a sitting representative of the House.

Amerikan System January 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

Why I left the GOP. Douche bag.

Julie Brueckheimer January 24, 2014 at 11:28 am

We should try to accommodate John Boehner and remove him from his current position of Speaker of the House as he is third in line for the presidency.

Press Watch January 24, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Boehner is almost WORSE than OBAMA
He is traitor to the American people
The GOP should be ashamed

gracepmc January 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I called Boehner’s office and respectfully expressed my disappointment and disapproval with his comments, noting that it would undoubtedly appear in Democrat ads and to wish him the best in pursuing his good life. Did I talk to a real person? Yes, I did. And what did the real person think of my concerns? “Wonderful. I’ll make sure the Speaker gets the message”.

The disconnect between Boehner and the American fighting for the rule of law and the Constitution and an end to executive over reach could not be greater.

Julie Brueckheimer January 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Excellent comment. That staffer’s reply to you reminds me of a clip I saw once when Drudge was on TV. It showed a man telling Hillary Clinton during some primary (Bill’s second bid for President I think) that he was homeless, and she replied, “That’s nice” and moved on. She hadn’t listened to him. They don’t listen to us, the people in power.

gracepmc January 24, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I am pretty much fed up with the Republican Party and even some conservatives. I almost would have let Boehner’s comment about shutting the government down go because this is what I expect from him. No leadership and no concern for the future of the country.

And it was this shrug of the shoulder at the thought of running for President because he was unwilling to forego his nice dilettante life that disgusted me. Ohio has the right to elect whoever they want, but he should not have any Party leadership role whatsoever. He disdainfully dismissed his colleagues.

But he was right about one thing: “a ‘leader’ without followers is just a man taking a walk”. And that is what John Boehner is — without conservative followers either among his colleagues or the party public wishing to preserve this country from the destruction that is Progressivism.

Brando January 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

F’ that COWARD.

EllsworthT January 24, 2014 at 1:49 pm

This guy doesn’t believe in anything except “getting along” and the status quo. Golly, we shouldn’t upset the Democrats or their media puppets as we head into oblivion. What a leader.

Danceswithtruth January 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm

“I like to play golf. I like to cut my own grass. I do drink red wine, I smoke cigarettes. And I’m not giving that up to be president of the United States.”

Heck John, you don’t have to give that up. Just ask Obama. Well…..everything but the grass cutting that is.

Vettgrl January 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm

“Jeb Bush is my friend, and I think he’d make a great president”.
At this point, I’d vote for Attila the Hun, if he was a Republican.