The Spending Bill’s Foul-Smelling Secret

by Keith Koffler on January 17, 2014, 5:32 pm

Do you understand that the IRS will not need to repeat 2012 targeting of Tea Party groups in 2014 because those groups ARE BEING PUMMELED INTO SILENCE instead?

Do you understand?

The wide-ranging “omnibus” spending bill just approved by Congress, with the cooperation of Republicans, failed to include a proposed provision reversing a new Obama regulation that will turn all those nonprofit groups – which had been targeted as potential violators of their tax-free status – into TAXABLE institutions.

So no need for targeting!

Keeping this provision out, according to Kimberly Strassel of the Wall Street Journal, was the one thing on which Democrats would not compromise during negotiations over the bill.

Under the regulation, quietly brought out over Thanksgiving, the type of groups the IRS had targeted will have their “educational” activities reclassified as “political” activities, therefore making them no longer tax exempt.

Writes Strassel:

It’s IRS targeting all over again, only this time by administration design and with the raw political goal—as House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R., Mich.) notes—of putting “tea party groups out of business.”

My sources say that throughout the negotiations Democrats went all in on keeping the IRS rule, even though it meant losing their own priorities.

Meanwhile, unions can keep right on performing the same types of activities unbothered by the taxman.

Instead of depoliticizing the IRS, the administration has doubled down. In a brutal act of political muscle, it’s rolling up the opposition. Invoking Plan B to silence the Tea Party. AND NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE.

The press certainly doesn’t mind. It’s focused instead on traffic cones on the George Washington Bridge.

Do you understand what’s going on here? Do you?

Have a nice weekend.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Unfuckingbelievable. Washington, Jefferson, et al, are spinning in their graves.

Can this be challenged in court?

lc southern January 17, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Really can it be challenged?

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I don’t know.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Wait a minute. Of course it can be challenged.

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I wonder if the courts would refuse, saying that the Tea Party has “no legal standing”.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm

The groups were singled out by at least one legislator. That’s what has me thinking of Art. I sec. 9.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 11:01 am

After reading the WSJ article, It turns out that Camp might not have singled out the tea parties. He might’ve merely noted that this would put them out of business.

Girly1 January 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Any challenges wlll need to be heard quickly…before Obama finishes stacking the courts with his radical appointees

Susan January 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Even if we can challenge the rule in court, it won’t go anywhere. Obama is packing the courts with left wing judicial activists with the help of Reid’s usurpation of Senate rules. They don’t honor our Constitution any more than any other Socialist Democrat does.

“This is a gradual, quiet coup. That’s what is taking place. It’s gradual. It’s quiet, in the sense that it’s non-violent. But it’s a coup!” ~ Mark Levin

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 10:04 pm

So, what do we do? Throw our hands up and declare defeat?

Susan January 17, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Not at all. Never give up and never give in. Our options are limited, but there are a few things we can do. Support and elect conservatives to local and federal office; work with our state legislators on an Article V convention; wake up our friends and neighbors to these threats to our liberty; and pray hard. Even judges with lifetime appointments can be impeached, but that will never happen if we keep electing Democrats and RINOs to office.

Lee January 18, 2014 at 7:31 am

I read the list provided on this thread of everyone who voted for and against it. I was so disappointed to see that Vitter voted for it. I am sure my phone call alone will not make a difference. I am sure others will be calling as well.
I agee with you regarding speaking and waking up freinds and neighbors. My mom always ask me what is going on? It is getting harder to tell people about what is going on, because some days I would need to carry my notebook with me, with all the notes I take from Keith’s articles and my fellow readers and other news sites.

louisianatiger January 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Sen. David Vitter, R-Louisiana, has 2 years left on his Senate term, then he is going to be Gov. Vitter of Louisiana, or so he thinks!!

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

Oops! I meant to put my post at 8:14 this morning here.

What I was attempting to convey is that there are several strategies the tea parties can use.

I don’t know if a federal judge can be impeached unless she or he has committed treason, bribery or a high crime or misdemeanor, which are the sole grounds in art. II, § 4.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 9:06 am

I’ve tried to respond, but it’s stuck in moderation.

Girly1 January 17, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 8:41 am

That’s a long-term strategy, and I get the feeling that the affected groups need to fight back immediately.

Star January 18, 2014 at 10:38 am

I usually won’t ans a thread containing a pointless, crass term–but to counter things like this–and so much much more–we need to elect a Rep president, which means 1) ridiculing and undermining the Dems, 2) backing whatever Rep surfaces, pure or not, and 3) not cutting off our noses to spite our faces by sitting out the election if a candidate is not as pure as we would like. WIN THEN FIGHT.

Star January 18, 2014 at 10:44 am

I believe Reps who voted for the spending bill despite this did so to reinstate a budget cycle and prevent a shutdown. Another shutdown would have hurt the Rep cause immeasurably.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:51 am

Exactly. The Proggish media would’ve loved to have painted a shutdown as being the sole fault of the GOP.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Keep in mind that the bill only funds until September.
The fight will continue immediately after that right before the election.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:49 am

I cannot fathom refusing to vote in a general election just because one’s party’s candidate doesn’t embrace everything one wants. There have been countless times I’ve voted for Republican candidates with whom I’ve disagreed over both minor and major issues.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Me too. The lesser of two evils choice has got to go.

Charlene Hamilton January 19, 2014 at 9:07 am

as Mark explained I’m stunned that a mom able to earn $8523 in four weeks on the computer . take a look at the site here… F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

rawheadrex January 17, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Eric Blair would be very proud!

Star January 18, 2014 at 10:39 am

Who’s he?

Julie Brueckheimer January 18, 2014 at 10:54 am

aka George Orwell

Star January 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

Thanks.

gracepmc January 17, 2014 at 5:51 pm

The Republicans could have kept it out. They did not. That’s all I need to know. That and screw you Paul Ryan.

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I also read somewhere that John Boehner referred to Iowa Republican U.S. Representative Steve King as an “A-hole”. I think the establishment Republicans are working hand-in-glove to destroy the only “party” which represents the old middle and working classes.

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 8:18 pm

hand-in-glove with the Democrats

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 5:58 pm

of putting “tea party groups out of business.”’”

Do we have any constitutional attorneys here would could explore this goal and the ban against bills of attainder under Art. I, sec. 9?

Nikon January 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm

This is so pathetic. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Get the word out, this has to be blocked somehow.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 6:14 pm

The only recourse I can see is a law suit.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Jerry Moran (Kan.)
Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
Richard Shelby (Ala.)
David Vitter (La.)
Roger Wicker (Miss.)

DeniseVB January 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I have a hunch those aren’t tea party darlings ?

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm

None to my knowledge.

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Kelly Ayotte won her Senate seat with support from the Tea Party, and she has become a traitor. Not up for reelection until 2016.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I hope the voters remember who bit the hands that fed her.

Susan January 17, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Sarah Palin even campaigned for the backstabbing traitor.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

I wonder how Palin will react.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Now she has a history.
She is just another John McCain or a Lindsey Graham.
Collins is another one that consistently votes liberal.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Darkangel January 17, 2014 at 7:16 pm

At this point, if al Qaeda did nuke DC, taking out most of the political class along with it, they’d be doing more for American liberty than they would for their death cult.

Howl in protest all you want, you know I’m right.

Island Girl January 18, 2014 at 2:00 am

Always spot on Darkangel

Lee January 18, 2014 at 7:45 am

Any enemy of America is laughing at every news updates it gets.
We are loosing our America as we once knew.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Wrong Lee.
This is what it is going to take to take Our Country back.
I would posit that the enemies of America are watching to see what the “Sleeping Giant” will do next.
They are laughing at Obama.
We are not losing our Country.
We are regaining our knowledge of the principles that our Founders instituted by establishing the Constitution because more and more people are realizing that something is wrong.
It will get worse before it gets better.

Lee January 18, 2014 at 5:21 pm

That is what I have been afraid of. I also would like to know what the citizens around the world that like the American People are thinking. At their dinner table are they saying they must be unaware.

DeniseVB January 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I’m not worried about the tea party, it was better UnOrganized anyhow. Citizens don’t need a club to join to have a voice. What we have locally are too many chiefs and not enough indians, turn out to rallies is low since the big 2009-10 gatherings.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:10 pm

To me, it’s an attack on our First Amendment right to associate with whom we choose.

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Does depriving people of that right play into a bill of attainder?

Julie Brueckheimer January 17, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Mandy, I haven’t used this in a long time, but IANAL.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I hope some tea party groups have one.

Julie Brueckheimer January 18, 2014 at 10:57 am

Sekulow–I think that’s how you spell his name–is good.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 11:05 am

His Wiki shows he’s no stranger to cases involving the Constitution.

DeniseVB January 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Of course it is, and that which doth not kill us will make us stronger. :D

When over a million people showed up in DC in Sept 2009, it was not an organized movement yet. They’ll come back to shove this freaking 1.1 trillion right us the Capitol Buttskies. (I hope, because that’s what it’s going to take).

cathnealon January 19, 2014 at 11:13 am

Denise

I couldn’t agree more. Ever since Ponzi schemers raking in a six-figure salary likeJennie Beth Martin and her husband cashed in on the movement–the Tea Party has become an entity the Alinskyites have frozen and targeted.

In my city our group started out as an independent, autonomous, amorphous mesh of members hellbent on placing principles above personalities. Then a couple of the ‘trusted servants’ in our group bailed, joined the national group with the promise of a salary and now we have a CEO type who brings in speakers and that’s about it.

I was in DC with the one million in 2009–I stood next to coal miners on one side and doctors with white coats on on the other side–it was grassroots and it scared the heck out of the DC establishment-Repubs and Dems–

then the Tea Party went all ‘organized’ –bad, very bad, from the get-go it should ahve remained outside the political establishment-look at almost every pol who went to Washington backed by the Tea Party–sellouts-DC is s os bad nobody gets in or out without shaking hands with the devil. I remember this artciel from American Thinker way back-should have listened–http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/08/the_tea_party_needs_to_remain.html

Scottso January 18, 2014 at 7:03 am

It’s also protectionism for favored groups. And that’s what it is always about. Concetrating Power it the hands if the few and the Elite.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

That’s why the Constitution forbids the government from interfering with whom we associate.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I agree Denise.
I say we disperse into the terrain and let them find us.

Mandy Manners January 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm

This is the kind of crap I’d expect from Putin.

Susan January 17, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I’m not surprised Boehner and the boys didn’t put up a fight for the Tea Party. They despise us as much as the left does. What about Organizing for America or whatever Obama’s team of brownshirts is called now? They’re classified as a 501(c)(4), and are more political than the Tea Party ever was.

Girly1 January 18, 2014 at 12:00 am

The Weeper of the House is leading the charge for amnesty, aka immigration reform, even though it is one of the last things voters are concerned about. His ‘principles of immigration reform’ will be a highlight of Obama’s SOTU address.
The fly in the ointment is a path to citizenship, as if illegals care about becoming citizens. Stupid, stupid, stupid !

rawheadrex January 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm

All Americans need to know is The IRS= Theirs.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 8:14 am

Forcing these groups to pay taxes does not mean that they will disappear. What kind of tax-rate will they face? Perhaps one strategy could be that a group seeks an injunciton against enforcing this part of the law while the suit makes it way through the courts. Or, maybe a group pays the taxes while their suit proceeds.

I’d like to see suits filed in federal district courts presided over by judges who hate infringements of our civil liberties, and even better if they’re in districts whose appellate courts have justices who believe the same. Heck, I’m just a paralegal and even I can tentatively sketch out a strategy.

AFVet January 18, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Why not just dismantle the groups ?

Lee January 18, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I agree everyone, every group, every animal has some type of protection, LEAVE ME ALONE! The Tea Party deserves the same respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Certain citizens and certain people in government have all the guts and nerve to insult, and now take this action. Let me see these brave people in government from the top down start the same name calling and actions of some many other groups.

Stl Hawkeye January 18, 2014 at 8:41 am

I agree it’s unbelievable how republicans have turned their back on the Tea Party. Look for this to cost the republicans seats in 2014. As for the new IRS rule ; it will be challenged in court and eventually tossed out. There are a number of SC precedents that guarantee groups the right to free speech through the accumulation of money. Curtailing that right is unconstitutional. Citizens United being the last to re-affirm this right.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 9:00 am

Not all Republicans voted for it.

John Barrasso (Wyo.)
Marco Rubio (Fla.)
Tim Scott (S.C.)
Jeff Sessions (Ala.)
John Thune (S.D.)
Pat Toomey (Pa.)

Junius January 18, 2014 at 9:41 am

In answer to your question: Yes I do understand what is going on here. We are witnessing the imposition of a Stalinist style, totalitarian communist regime over this country. Dictator Obama will not leave office in 2016 willingly. Where are the republicans while this awful crime of treason against their country and fellow citiczen is being committed? Where are they? Passing a trillion dollar budget which continues to fund all of the democrat communist party laws and agencies designed to facilitate their impostion of a Totalitarian Regime.
This is no longer a government for and by the people. It is broken beyond all repair and has become an obscene, repressive tyranny.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:00 am

The link to Strassel’s article is broken.

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:04 am
Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:07 am

One of the biggest fights was over GOP efforts to include language to stop the IRS from instituting a new round of 501(c)(4) targeting.

SNIP

The fight was sparked by a new rule that the Treasury Department and the IRS introduced during the hush of Thanksgiving recess, ostensibly to “improve” the law governing nonprofits. What the rule in fact does is recategorize as “political” all manner of educational activities that 501(c)(4) social-welfare organizations currently engage in.

SNIP

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Did Camp note that this would be the effect of this law or did he call for putting the tea parties out of business?

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 10:26 am

As of 2010, Camp had a 92 percent rating with the American Conservative Union.

Buck Crosby January 18, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I have been a TEA party supporteer but stayed registered as a Republican , this will now change , I am going to , at the first convenience , register as an independent . I am not alone , I carry about a dozen votes with me thru family and friends .

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 11:19 pm

” I carry about a dozen votes with me thru family and friends.”

Wow. Do they farm on yiour property?

Mandy Manners January 18, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Good luck in your quest to change the tide by acting illogically.

gracepmc January 19, 2014 at 12:31 am

A vote for independent party is a vote for the Democrats. That is the problem I have with independents.

For me, I will vote for the most conservative registered Republican when I can. And I will support, contribute to and volunteer to help as many conservatives as candidates as I can.

mudguy January 19, 2014 at 10:30 am

To bad we have only 26 Senators that are interested in cutting spending.

Well?
DEMOCRATS and Republicans (‘different’ ONLY in name)

We read all the jokes and forward the good ones
But I just wonder who will pass this one on.

How about you sending it on, and back to me,
If you have enough ‘chutzpah’ to do so.
I do
And I wonder just how many I will get back?
Someone please tell me what the H—’s wrong with
All the people that run this country!!!!!!
Both Democrats and Republicans
Say,
“We’re broke”
And can’t help our own
Seniors,
Veterans,
Orphans,
Homeless,
Etc.,?????

But, over the last several years THEY
Have provided direct cash aid to….

Hamas – $351 M,
Mozambique – $404 M,
Zambia – $331 M,
Kazakhstan – $304 M,
Iraq – $1.08 B,
Tanzania – $554 M,
…with literally Billions of Dollars
And they still hate us!!!!
But on the other hand,
Our retired seniors,
Living on a ‘fixed income,’
Receive NO aid!
Nor do they get any breaks, while our government
And religious organizations will pour Hundreds of Billions Of $$$$$$’sAnd Tons of Foodto Foreign Countries!
Someone needs to explain to them thatCharitybegins AT HOME!!!
And another atrocity….
We have Hundreds of adoptable
American Children who are shoved aside
To make room for
The adoption of
Foreign orphans.
AMERICA: A country where we have
Countless Homeless without shelter,
Children going to bed hungry,
Elderly going without needed medication
And the Mentally ill without treatment — etc.
YET……….
They will have a ‘Benefit’ Show
For the people of Haiti, on 12 TV Stations;Ships and planes lining up with food, water, tents
Clothes, bedding, doctors and medical supplies.
Now Just Imagine if
Our own *GOVERNMENT*
Gave ‘US’ the same support they give to foreign countries.

Sad, isn’t it?

Lee January 19, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Sad….

Amerikan System January 20, 2014 at 8:28 am

Courts, elections… all meaningless with a tyranny. The only way to go is old fashioned regime change. Only about 25% of the population supported the first american revolution, I think we can do a bit better this time.