Michelle’s 50th Birthday Bash set for January 18

by Keith Koffler on December 26, 2013, 8:27 am

First Lady Michelle Obama, who turns 50 January 17, will host an exclusive dance party for herself at the White House the following day, according to the Chicago Tribune.

From the piece:

The White House has been sending out save-the-date emails for a Jan. 18 gala dubbed “Snacks & Sips & Dancing & Dessert,” sources told the Tribune.

Guests are being told: Wear comfortable shoes, eat before you come and practice your dance moves. Who’s invited and who’ll entertain remain under wraps.

No doubt very famous people will be on hand to croon to her.

At least she won’t be taking the party on the road, like the president did for his 50th celebration, according to the Tribune. His festivities lasted a couple of days, included events in both Washington and Chicago, and even featured a massive fundraiser.

Scott December 26, 2013 at 8:36 am

You mean Chewbacca is turning 50? I’ll await my invitation…

Aileen December 26, 2013 at 9:04 am

I agree…name-calling is juvenile and a very poor reflection on the name caller. Turning 50 is a major milestone and should be celebrated. I will, however, admit that she is not my fav first lady.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Since we seem to be challenging other posters today, I might as well say that I found your comment to Keith on the Christmas thread pretty damn tacky. I kept quiet yesterday, but the Christmas truce is over.

Sadie December 26, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Mary: A reminder … “See you at Mass” – it was in poor taste.

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm

“what is Keith a Jew or something?”

Wow. Just…wow.

Marcus December 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm

“OK? Sorry-what is Keith a Jew or something?” Or something? Yikes.

Lizzy December 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Oh my very crass remark indeed.

Sadie December 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Mary: You’re either new to the site, the worst apologist or both!

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 8:12 pm

BTW, the First Amendment addresses governmental control. This is the private sector.

susan December 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Christians and conservatives have been called much, much worse! Yet, a liberal goes spastic when we return the favor! thin skinned like obamanation!

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Some of your ilk referred to her as a zombie.

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I saw her called a Stepford wife.

Sadie December 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Speak for yourself -not us!

Pamela Arnold December 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Laura Bush is a very classy lady. We called her Mrs. Bush, or the First Lady. “Class” and the word “lady” do not exactly fit the scenario of this person. Call it as you see it.

Lizzy December 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Miss that wonderful woman great example of grace and dignity.

Scott December 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Mary- Laura Bush is head and shoulders above this self-absorbed, mooching hag that has attached herself to the career of the imbecile that has somehow been elected President. For what it’s worth, I also have African-American friends. Most of them share my sentiments. They and I would call her the same face to face.

Not sure what makes you think I’m a coward, though.

Michael December 26, 2013 at 8:45 am

No doubt that it will be a celebration fot for a queen.

Oh, wait, she is our queen.

I was gonna fly in for the party, but I spent it all on my health insurance policy.

Sol December 26, 2013 at 9:51 am

Well, that’s okay – you’re STILL paying some of your tax dollars toward it (as are we all).

“…will host an exclusive dance party for herself…”
Is “self-infatuated” still ‘racism-neutral’?

Star December 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

…with sips…

Shofar December 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

I would not be surprised if this is a mini kick-off for fund raising for Mrs. Obama and her run up for the Senate in 2016. She is like Hillary, and wants/needs the power of an office to maintain a sense of self worth.

The Obamas, like the Clintons, thrive on power, and will do anything and everything to keep some of that power. Even if Obama implodes completely over the next three years, the missus will be able to dive into the political arena. Look at how well Hillary did after the Lewinsky affair.

Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac, once tasted and felt, it is not easily released.

srdem65 December 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

Once again, the Os show themselves to be oblivious to American traditions, good taste, and how their excesses appear to the public.

No woman turning 50 years old wants a party announcing that fact.

Eat before you come to the party!?? How about BYOB, too?.

Star December 26, 2013 at 10:30 am

Shouldn’t someone else throw the party? Kinda sad?

srdem65 December 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I was informed that it is not unusual in Black culture to host one’s own birthday party. When hosted by the honoree, gifts are not required and the party is just a celebration get-together.
So I’ve been told.

DeniseVB December 26, 2013 at 9:38 am

Oh darn, the rest of the article is behind the ChiTrib paywall. With hopes there’s a mention “in lieu of gifts, donate to your favorite charity” or something?

Who throws themselves a milestone party? And I agree, it’s a politcal move because it will be the biggest “ticket” in town and there will be many donations coming in / Obama positive articles being written / etc. I know the routine now. I’m sure there will be a “Win An Invite to Michelle’s 50th Birthday Party at the White House” contest too.

I know there will definitely be a campaign email “Wish Michelle A Happy Birthday” fundraiser too. Of course you’ll be required to give your email and zip info, and a chance to celebrate with a donation before you get to sending your greetings part :D

Sol December 26, 2013 at 10:10 am

I just looked up 17-Jan birthdays (http://www.scopesys.com/anyday/) – let’s all watch for the ‘guest list’ (unless it gets classified) :
Mohammad Ali (1942)
Maury Povich (1939)
James Earl Jones (1931)
Doug Wilder (1931) (Gov-D-VA)
Robt kennedy Jr. (1954)
“ray j” (1981) (singer?)
“shabba ranks” (1966) (rapper?)
Mick Taylor (1948)

Zephryus December 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm

That is a cool site. I am 1/1 Paul Revere, Betsy Ross & J E Hoover share my dob.

Sol December 26, 2013 at 10:51 am

And it wouldn’t be complete without a few ignominious “On this day…” references:

1501 Cesare Borgia returns in triumph to Rome from Romagna
1861 Flush toilet (with separate water tank and a pull chain) patented by Mr Thomas Crapper
1874 Armed Democrats seize Texas government ending Radical Reconstruction
1893 Queen Liliuokalani deposed, Kingdom of Hawaii becomes a republic
1976 “I Write the Songs” by Barry Manilow hits #1
1983 Alabama Governor George C Wallace, becomes governor for record 4th time
1989 Gunman opens fire in California schoolyard; 5 students slain, 30 wounded
1997 NBA suspends Dennis Rodman indefinitely/$25,000 for kicking cameraman
1998 President Clinton faces sexual harassment charges from Paula Jones

Okay, it’s out of my system now. :)

srdem65 December 26, 2013 at 11:10 am

lol. That’s Ok, it’s a nice look-back for us.
How odd that MrCrapper’s device carries his name to this day, but others who invented things we still use aren’t so ..um..famous.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 11:38 am

OFA is my guess.

Lizzy December 26, 2013 at 11:13 am

Well I’m certainly offended January 18 is my actual birthday. My knickers
are certainly in a bunch celebrate on your own day. Besides it’s my 63
and reaching that during these dark and dreay years of Obama I claim it!
I’ve got the birth certificate and wrinkles and gray hair to prove it geez.

Star December 26, 2013 at 11:21 am

You are a delight, Lizzy–and she looks every second of 50 despite the jumping jacks, nips, tucks, freezes, paralysis, suckouts, etc.

DeniseVB December 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Yes, the more Michelle makes fashion faux pas’ with her “edgy, rawkin’ stylin’ ” the more she’s resembling a 50-yr-old drag queen. (No offense intended for drag queens, they are a delight!)

Zephryus December 28, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing. She is the guy & BO is the girl.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 11:31 am

Snacks of lobster and caviar and sips of Grey Goose.

Star December 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

That actually sounds a teeny delish about now.

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This party’s been planned for months. According to HuffPo, Beyonce and Adele will sing.

DeniseVB December 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Isn’t Adele British? Will she waiver her fee to attend ? She’s a bit of a recluse too and thought she was on a long post-baby break.

It’s nice to rally celebs for good causes, like disease, floods and famine, but to a birthday party for America’s Antoinette ? Am I missing the point of this hoopla’ ?

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I read it in either the HuffPo or Daily Mail article that Adele’s doing it gratis.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm

We’ll have to wait until you post the pics from the Daily Mail.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm

At one point, MO toned down or scaled back the birthday bash–she had been planning a Hollywood type extravaganza– because of all the criticism she and BO were getting so I don’t know at this point whether Adele and Beyonce are still a go. I think it still would have a negative effect.

Mandy Manners December 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I reckon we’ll have to wait and see.

Star December 26, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Since when is a negative effect bad to these people?

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

They’re thick between the ears on that, but what I meant was that it wasn’t going ‘to play well in Peoria’. When the Obamas go downwards, the Democrats go downward too.

Star December 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I do think this o-care stuff will hit the Dems.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Yes, Obamacare is the snowball, but you know how it is when the big ball starts rolling down the hill: it picks up other snow.

MarjoJimbo December 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Julie, I don’t think they really care or notice us little people.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Agree, except at the voting booth.

harv sibley December 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Let her have her day…who cares…. they’ve already trampled the high integrity and importance of their positions and the office they serve, so why bother getting bothered about these rather trivial events. The real hoopla awaits every one with a small to medium healthcare plan in 2014. Now thats a hootenanny not to be missed.

H

susan December 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

“Eat before you come” ?!!!

They feed their show business Motown people the best steak!!! this is discrimination!!!!

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This is probably a red herring that it isn’t going to be that big of a deal, but in fact it will be a very big deal and maybe off-limits to the press so who would know.

lynn December 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Go away!

Bonnie December 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

What does that comment mean? Maybe you should take your own advice.

Julie Brueckheimer December 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I’ll give her the benefit of doubt. Maybe her comment was intended for the spammers and she just didn’t know where to reply.

Luan December 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I’m sorry…but, these people are VERY wealthy…part of the 1%…so why is it that the 40% are footing this bill? They should pay for their own parties and GIFTS!!!

Langley Spook December 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Michelle Obama = when a Wookie turns “50″ it is a celebration.

Eva December 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Only fifty?? She looks much older (in person) to me.

Kathryn December 28, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Does anybody REALLY care about this? — or her?

Maryellen Race January 5, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Oh… so is the party now going to be in Hawaii? Since OBAMA is giving her a BIRTHDAY PRESENT.. allowing her to stay by herself in HAWAII??? On whose dime?
OR is this birthday party going to be in HAWAII???
This shit has to stop.

proxytpb.nl January 19, 2014 at 7:16 pm

X5 did not pick up any viruses in any way, the industry good
thing if it is accurate, along with a bad thing if it is not
accurate. Sites for example i – Tunes have proven that regardless
of the huge number of pirate sites that people are still very happy to pay to legally download music on
the Internet. AES256 is one of the best disk encryption algorithm that is hard to decrypt.