Obama Uses Mandela Speech to Jab Republicans

by Keith Koffler on December 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Oh boy. This is not cool.

It seems clear to me that President Obama took a smack at Republicans during his remarks this morning in South Africa at the memorial for Nelson Mandela, busting them for talking Mandela’s talk while failing to walk the walk.

In America, and in South Africa, and in countries all around the globe, we cannot allow our progress to cloud the fact that our work is not yet done. The struggles that follow the victory of formal equality or universal franchise may not be as filled with drama and moral clarity as those that came before, but they are no less important . . . There are too many people who happily embrace Madiba’s legacy of racial reconciliation, but passionately resist even modest reforms that would challenge chronic poverty and growing inequality.

Obama, as you probably know, has lately been doing his income inequality schtick, saying it’s the biggest thing that drives him and will be the focus of the rest of his presidency and secretly has been his focus all along and blah blah blah blah blah.

But now it appears that Republicans who oppose his statist and redistributionist measures to achieve income equality lack the moral fiber of people like Obama and Mandela.

Because the blood of Mandela, you see, still flows within Obama:

But let me say to the young people of Africa and the young people around the world – you, too, can make his life’s work your own.

Over 30 years ago, while still a student, I learned of Nelson Mandela and the struggles taking place in this beautiful land, and it stirred something in me. It woke me up to my responsibilities to others and to myself, and it set me on an improbable journey that finds me here today. And while I will always fall short of Madiba’s example, he makes me want to be a better man. (Applause.) He speaks to what’s best inside us.

Clearly, Republicans need to do a better job finding what’s best inside them. If they could only locate their inner Madiba, they might support universal early childhood education, Obamacare, a $20 minimum wage, and gay marriage.

Speaking at such an historic event overseas, Obama should have made damn sure to steer clear of any hint of partisanship and moral judgement against his political opponents. But he can’t help himself.

Because Obama’s central animating principle as president is not leading the nation; it’s his vision of social justice. He doesn’t view himself as Republicans’ president too, but as the man bearing the progressive banner against their immoral, discriminatory ideology of hate.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

Star December 10, 2013 at 10:05 am

he makes me want to be a better man

From Lincoln to…Jerry Maguire? Man, he needs better writers.

gracepmc December 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Now there’s a big ole Obama lie.

DeniseVB December 10, 2013 at 10:06 am

If you’ve had a conversation with a liberal lately you’ll see where the “hate” is. Obama is no Mandela because he doesn’t even try to reach out to people who disagree with him. That’s not leadership.

Owen_Kellogg December 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

Obama: “Over 30 years ago, while still a student, I learned of Nelson Mandela and the struggles taking place in this beautiful land, and it stirred something in me.”

It wasn’t Mandela that was stirring something in you. It was the weed.

Langley Spook December 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm

“puff, puff, give”

Langley Spook December 10, 2013 at 5:06 pm

BTW, where are “Barack Hussein Obama’s” “college records”…?

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

Well said, Keith.

Star December 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

I wonder if he thinks the outpouring for him when the time comes will be the same. It won’t.

Girly1 December 10, 2013 at 10:22 am

That thought crossed my mind, too. They’ll have to call Central Casting for ‘walk-ons’ and props.

Star December 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

They probably have those columns still.

gracepmc December 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Bus loads.

veritaseequitas December 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

Clearly, Obama is not the statesman that he thinks he is. And bowing to Raul Castro? Puhleese.
I would rather he spend all his time on the golf course. The only damage he can do there is not replace his divots.

srdem65 December 10, 2013 at 10:26 am

“What difference at this point does it make?” MrsClinton’s offensive remark could apply to almost anything MrObama says in public as he is now a defeated, disgraced, and ignored President.
Lame duck status doesn’t even describe where he’s at in the mind of the country or even among his fellow Dems who are now thankful that MrO ignored them for four years.
“blah, blah,…” is exactly how this speech and any other he chooses to make will be received until his term is over.

Most Americans don’t want a measly handout or some government goodie, they want a secure job, a future for their children, and a stable economy.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 10:28 am

I don’t know if “most Americans” don’t want a handout. Currently about 47% are taking handouts. And there are plenty of folks who are pretty happy to get on the disability gravy train.

srdem65 December 10, 2013 at 10:36 am

Good point, @ Car In.
On a recent “60 Minutes” program, a certain town in West Virginia was showcased as a great portion of the community there was collecting or have applied for Social Security Disability status.
It was obvious that most of them were NOT disabled, but a slick lawyer was able to get around the law (game the system) with a sleazy medical doctor’s assessment.

What the program missed was Why? these people were desperate to become labeled as ‘disabled’. The answer; the government shut down the local coal mines that provided the jobs and kept the local economy thriving. With nothing more than a resume as a “coal miner”, these unfortunate people had to game the system or starve.
That’s my point; the government took away their work ethic, their pride, and forced them into being handout takers.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 11:06 am

i understand your point, with that one example. BUT – what is it that makes a person decide they’d rather live our their life on disability, rather than MOVE and find something else to do? I’ve know (not young) people who just packed up and moved clear across the country to find another job. Leaving behind family, friends, and possessions. Studies show that once a person goes on disability, they hardly EVER go on to do anything productive.

srdem65 December 10, 2013 at 11:24 am

Absolutely right, friend. There’s no doubt that a portion of America is too lazy, too stupid or just without job skills.

Star December 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

Moving takes money. It’s pretty easy to say move. I moved to AZ and look how that turned out. I lost everything I cared about. Obama set out to kill coal and he’s doing it…people are left in the dust.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you, but if my town died and there was no work, I would feel that moving was my only option. I wouldn’t sit and die with it on government aid.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm

But of course, there are two issues here; that of he government killing an industry AND what one should do when they are out of work.

Star December 10, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Circumstances alter cases–maybe your whole family is in the town, maybe you don’t have the money to move (thousands), maybe that place is your place in the sun, maybe you can’t start your own business or maybe so many people have moved, you can’t get customers, or maybe without money you are pretty laid up if not actually completely unable to work, or maybe you wonder if there would be work someplace else even…often there isn’t…and even people who go back to school, can’t find anything…

Car in December 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

A whole town of such people with these circumstances? Nope. Not buying it. There are always exceptions – some people stay where they are because there is nearby family to help them. But if there is no opportunity – Merely saying you’ll go on the dole for the rest of y our life?

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Let’s agree to disagree.

Ewade December 10, 2013 at 8:33 pm

It’s easy to sit in your comfortable place and say what you would do. Reminds me of the people that say what they would have done “if that so and so had pointed that gun at me”
Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked in his shoes.

lizzytalorburtonsome December 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Well, if Congress and other government leaders let HIM shut down coal, then we are lost, to let one political party ruin so many millions of Americans because of a crazy President, then we as a country are lost.These democrats do not care one bit about our people, just their dumb stupid ideas, to hell if people starve without their coal mining jobs. Let ‘em eat cake, but even she in France was stopped? You mean to say, no one in Congress can stop this lawless administration? It shows ya, no one in Washington gives a damn, not Congress, not the Supreme Court, no one, we have been taken over by a bunch of old hippies from the 60′s. This administration is only about control and hatred and are being enabled by Congress and everyone in Washington. Selfish pigs all of them will wind up in jail one day I hope.

Ewade December 10, 2013 at 8:30 pm

There’s the whole issue of leaving those you are closest to, but also, if they are in that tight a spot, they probably don’t have the financial means to “move clear across the country.” Coal mining isn’t exactly near the top of the food chain as far as wages go. These people are broke.

gracepmc December 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Obama said he would bankrupt coal and he did. He also brought misery hardship and increasing poverty to all those involved in that industry. This one example speaks volumes about Obama’s dedication to the destruction of the American way of life. And the Democrats have purged the party to accommodate this destruction.

Words fail.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 10:27 am

When he said “Madiba” did he use an affected accent?

Sadie December 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm
Dawn December 10, 2013 at 10:28 am

” he makes me want to be a better man.” Good grief. Straight outta “As Good As It Gets”, though far better delivered by Jack Nicholson.

Ewade December 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

“Sell crazy someplace else, we’re stocked up here.”

Danceswithtruth December 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

“It woke me up to my responsibilities to others and to myself,”

If only that sentiment were embraced by those who choose to let the government take care of them from cradle to grave it could revolutionize this nation. However, you have the likes of Obama who think their life mission is to take from one to give to the other.

I sure wish some of those “others” would learn to start giving to themselves. I sure wish they would wake up to the responsibilities to others and to themselves. If people would stop expecting handouts and actually apply themselves with the ample opportunities presented to them, perhaps a good portion of the “poverty” would be eliminated.

Car in December 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

Honestly, that is so much BS. His time as a “community organizer” did nothing but help HIM. His wife’s job at community outreach – again, profited HIM. He has NO tract record of actually helping the lives of anyone.

He makes me sick.

Girly1 December 10, 2013 at 11:01 am

Isn’t it ironic? The greedy wife hit the lottery with her $317K salary, courtesy of her crook husband and IL taxpayers, and was paid this enormous sum to dump indigent patients out on the streets. All of this so that the U of C could show a tidy profit.

They went from patient-dumping to felony grand larceny. Stealing our affordable, quality h/c out from under us and forcing everyone onto Medicaid Plus – unaffordable, rationed, third-world h/c.

Are we going to let them get away with this???

Danceswithtruth December 10, 2013 at 11:08 am

I hear ya! I only wish that portion of his statements were not just fluffy words for him to appease his followers. If he wanted to be responsible to others he might try a completely different approach. Self-reliability comes to mind.

He is a fraud – through and through.

Girly1 December 10, 2013 at 10:37 am

Spot on, Keith. He’s been doing a ‘drive-by’ on the middle class for 5 years…and he’s STILL kvetching. In South Africa, no less. Keep stoking the flames, Barry!

Robin H December 10, 2013 at 10:54 am

It’s amazing how it’s always about him. Who cares? Certainly not the residents of South Africa who are there to mourn Mandela.

And I guess he bowed to Castro because they are one of the great countries that has achieved true income equality. Everybody is at $0! I guess that’s what Obama sees for us?

Brando December 10, 2013 at 11:11 am

Brutal Internal numbers = Projection. And the jokes just write themselves.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 11:12 am

His speech was the usual combo of Obama self love and far left drivel.

srdem65 December 10, 2013 at 11:26 am
gracepmc December 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm

And once again we got stuck with bill. And not only for him — but his limitless corrupt inner circle as well – Holder., Rice and Ferret Jarrett.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

$5 million, I read.

rawheadrex December 10, 2013 at 11:33 am

The Great Society has worked so well.

Island Girl December 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

I want him to be a better man too.

Star December 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

When does that start exactly?

DeniseVB December 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

If Mandela was such an inspiration to the Young Obama, why almost no mention in his two biographies ?

Girly1 December 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Drip, drip, drip!

GWShrub December 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Ah Ha! VERY, VERY good question.

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Did you see the “selfie” Obama took along with Cameron and Helle Thorning Schmidt ? At the memorial ceremony ! Looks like they all forgot the grieving and the occasion. ( Check Pajamas Media ).

Owen_Kellogg December 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Check this series of photos. Looks like Michelle made her husband switch seats. This is the type of pettiness that now rules our country.

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Thanks a lot, Owen. Really funny ! The Danish PM, often called Gucci-Helle in Denmark , certainly made Michelle angry. None of them seem to care about the occasion.

DeniseVB December 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You never see BO and MO mix it up like that in public, he was definitely flirty in the photos before MO put him in time out :D

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm

But where did Cameron go ? He was also sitting next to Helle. Was his wife there too ??

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I didn’t see Samantha Cameron there. The British party seemed to be all male and acting just as frivolously as Obama.

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm

She got her cat-butt face going.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Oh oh, flirting with blondie.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Super catch, Owen. Eye of an eagle.

Lee December 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

That is childish. She needs to be told to act like a First Lady. When she got home she could have fussed all she wanted after the golf game, about him talking to a woman.
Now I wll go research to see if HIllary switched seats!!!!!!!

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

FCMABBHO didn’t act any better.

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

My stars! Just where did they think they were?

nellyq December 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Such an example of how to behave at a memorial service. . .I especially like that last shot of SWMBO giving blondie the cold shoulder–

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

What–no kiss cam?

Corey December 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm

What a waste of oxygen that little o is…

srdem65 December 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Here are some photos of the green-eyed monster appearing at the memorial;
photo #1 MrO is obviously flirting with the blonde next to him,
photo #2 MrsO isn’t happy, and
photo #3 now MrsO is sitting next to the blonde.
snort……………

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Her body language says it all.

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I went to it! I laughed out loud. Grow up, woman!

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm

He needs to grow up, too! Taking photographs and laughing at a memorial service? Crass. Crass. Crass.

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

They call this Selfie-gate on Daily Telegraph. Please, please, may these photos go all over the net and hurt these hypocrites image. Make even the most low-informed person see that Barrys bombastic touchy-feely sermon was just an act.

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Maybe some of them would behave the same way.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

You can count on the American MSM not to cover it though.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Later reply. I think it is going viral, Swedishlady. And, would you believe, there is a blog devoted to people who take selfies at funerals, mostly teenage girls. Obama made it.

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I agree. But she is the one who really made a fool of herself–and by extension, us. Men just do stuff–but yes, the gum, the grinning, the yakking, the back patting, the chatting up–very immature. There is a new term–mychiatry–meaning being your own shrink with phone apps and so on. But I heard he can’t use his iPhone anymore bec of hacking.

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

That sounds like the “boys will be boys” defense, as if women who won’t stand for it are just as much as fault as the men.

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Well, it isn’t the boys will be boys defense. If the women should not put up with it–then she was right making him change places?

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I don’t know if I’d go that far in such a public venue as that, but at the very least I’d have beckoned him to lean over to me and I’d have whispered in his ear to stop that nonsense immediately.

Star December 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

She made it worse. That’s my take. Called attn. She should have leaned over, smiled, introduced herself and talked with the two of them if talking was OK. She can whisper later—a technique that has never worked for me. Bill O’Reilly (yes, I am a fan) said she was “personable” at the KenCen thing. Not sure what he meant–but this was not personable.

swedishlady December 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Yes, she really came across as a vindictive shrew with glaring eyes. Barry has to put up with her because she knows too many things about him. United with manacles, certainly not love.

Star December 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Her baleful stare. He has it, too.

gracepmc December 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm

They deserve each other.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

GOTUS. Gorgon of the United States.

Julie Brueckheimer December 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I don’t agree about her making a fool of herself. Maybe it was jealousy, but also maybe she sensed he, the leader of the free world, was making an ass of himself with the yukking it up “stuff”. Special euphemism for you.

DeniseVB December 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Can’t wait to see the MOTUS treatment !

Otis Driftwood December 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Maybe she will fly back on a different plane.. or go directly to Hawaii??

ImNoDhimmi December 11, 2013 at 12:17 am

Should be epic!

MarjoJimbo December 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm

That’s it exactly. He is president only of those who view the US his way.

DeniseVB December 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

He sure fooled them when he was campaigning…..as the great uniter. Ugh.

Otis Driftwood December 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I thought it was the “Great Pretender” ?

(I will not post the lyrics as it drives Star bonkers ;-) )

Star December 10, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thank you–but Star has decided her bonkers are wasted here.

Langley Spook December 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm

“Barack Hussein Obama” is a Racist who does like ‘America’.

Duh!

Lee December 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm

If he would do anything to benefit someone, besides handouts.
Idea. Start with Brides. We have many bridges thoughout the United States, that are to very old.
I am sure the tax payers would rather see the bridges being fixed, along with putting people back to work. United States Citizens back to work.
Pull straws to see who gets the job!!!
Also, All material used for the bridge will be bought here in America. All the people hired to answer the phone regarding the bridge issue will be answering from America, Not Tim Buck To.
However there has to be a time limit on the bridge. We had an interstate expansion that took years to finish.
My thought was that someone, somewhere was hoarding the money that was already paid by taxpayers.
Am I forget anythingt that would make the brige project productive for everyone?

Mandy Manners December 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

At least she’s dressed well.

Langley Spook December 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm

F U Obama.

Darkangel December 10, 2013 at 5:25 pm

For those of you keeping score at home, there were 12 “I”‘s, 5 “me”‘s, 5 “my”‘s , 2 “myself”‘s, and only 1 “United States.” And even that was in a negative way: “We know that, like South Africa, the United States had to overcome centuries of racial subjugation.”

MickeyMike2 December 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm

If he’s in favor of spreading the wealth, why doesn’t he show by example? How many millions does he have in the bank and how many will be continue to amass after (hopefully) he leaves office. Oh, I see, he’s only talking about other people sharing their wealth! You know, the ones who worked for their money . . . who contributed to making America better, created jobs and opportunities for others.

Juan R Robledo December 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This isn’t new, but I hope the idiots that voted for this clown have figured him out or at least see what he has so far done to this country, he has no morals, I believe this is what he wants for his own kids I hope they too get what he dishes out, in the end he has done anything positive, but the opposite, sorry example for a president he sure has shown his true allegiance, to us all

lizzytalorburtonsome December 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Obama shook Castro’s hand!!! Obama probably didn’t even know whose hand he was shaking, he’s so out of it. He probably didn’t even know it was Castro. i wouldn’t doubt it and even if he did know it was Castro, he still would have shaken hands with the devil himself. His speech was as mean as he is, always constantly putting down whoever doesn’t agree him in his depressing speeches– at the end he said something like we can all change?? He really hates his country, Change to what? His image? To baby murdering and race baiting? Like him? And throw in stealing Americans’ hard-earned money and giving it to the illegals and non-working bums. And on top of that we should all change to being liars too?

Nik December 11, 2013 at 9:02 am

Whoa. The guilty rightwing conscience on display for all to see! You know you’re on the wrong side of history if you find partisan offense in boilerplate.

Nik December 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

that boilerplate that is. It seems this site can’t do words in brackets

freetube.Hol.es December 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

This design iss incredible! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moverd to start
my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wondefful job. I really loived wyat you
had tto say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!