Obama Awards Winfrey, Clinton, Who Powered His Election

by Keith Koffler on August 9, 2013, 9:03 am

President Obama will bestow Presidential Medal of Freedom awards on Oprah Winfrey and Bill Clinton, the two public figures perhaps most responsible for his election and reelection as president.

“The Presidential Medal of Freedom goes to men and women who have dedicated their own lives to enriching ours,” Obama said in a statement Thursday. But one life Winfrey and Clinton have particularly enriched is Obama’s.

Obama WinfreyWinfrey, who at the time was described as the most influential woman in the world, first endorsed Obama for president in 2006, well before the 2008 primaries even began. Her forceful and sustained effort supporting and promoting Obama played a critical role in his successful drive to rend the Democratic nomination from the favorite, Hillary Clinton.

Bill Clinton put aside bitterness over the 2008 campaign and became instrumental in Obama’s 2012 reelection effort. Clinton’s 49-minute speech at the Democratic convention was judged an instant classic that set Democrats on fire and made a stirring case for Obama’s candidacy.

Clinton, who also campaigned aggressively for Obama, was labeled “our most valuable player” by Obama strategist David Axelrod. Obama called Clinton to thank him on the night of his reelection, right after speaking with Mitt Romney.

Obama has a history of awarding Presidential Medals of Freedom to his political benefactors.

In 2010, he gave the medal to former AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), Maya Angelou, and Warren Buffet, all of whom played important roles in Obama’s elections. He also gave it that year to Jean Kennedy Smith, whose brother, the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, handed Obama a huge boost by endorsing him in the 2008 primaries over Hillary Clinton.

{ 1 trackback }

harv sibley August 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

“Pass that loufa over here, its my turn to scrub your back.”

ImNoDhimmi August 9, 2013 at 9:30 am

Sickening. Barry obviously believes the lives of Americans have been enriched by his presidency. Ugh.

swedishlady August 9, 2013 at 9:37 am

Agree, it sounded very self-righteous. No ironic wink there, he has no sense of that.

cincycinco August 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

“Barry obviously believes the lives of Americans have been enriched by his presidency.” – ImNoDhimmi

They HAVE been. Michelle and the kids are Americans after all…

Oh, you mean ALL Americans. Nope, not so much there…

swedishlady August 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

The medal of freedom is given those ” who have dedicated their lives to enriching ours”. Well, that statement has a somewhat hollow ring given the receivers. The medal more resembles the shower of decorations, ribbons of orders, medals and such that monarchs used to grant their favourites.
The newspapers over here report that the chrypted emailservice Lavabit ( Snowden used it in Moscow ) is closed down. The owner, Ladar Levinson, closed it after pressure from the NSA. Well, if Big Brother is not allowed to snoop and listen then you are not allowed to use it. Better get used to it.

Girly1 August 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Medal of Freedom Rewards. Check your box of Crackerjacks – you might be a lucky winner.

Scullman August 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

Didn’t Oprah have a wildly popular television show ?

Gee, what happened?

srdem65 August 9, 2013 at 10:18 am

The general opinion was that she lost her audience when she chose race over gender in the Presidential primary.

I never watched her show, so I can’t give my own opinion.

GWShrub August 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m with you,….never watch it, or that other one with Yippee & the big mouth.

Junius August 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

Like everything else in this country that Dicatator Obama has touched, the Presidential Medal of Freedom awards is now worth less than the prize in a Cracker Jack box. What a travesty. How Dictator Obama loathes everything about this country. He hates us.

Star August 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Yup–Medal of Freedom, Nobel, and those cloudy little magnifying glasses covered with molasses.

MarjoJimbo August 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

Exactly my thought–Medal of Freedom and Nobel mean zilch.

Aileen August 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

Wikipedia says it is a medal…is there cash award, too? Just curious…

Terry August 9, 2013 at 10:21 am

I am so dumb… I trusted Oprah. I thought she was the real deal with all her peace crap

65andcounting August 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

You are not alone. Millions trusted her, that was her thing. But she’s destroyed that trust in many ways.

She’s been on the airwaves a ton these last couple of weeks, what with the movie she’s in (about race), her comments about Trayvon (about race), her demeaning comment about Fox Network (about race), to today’s headline that she was snubbed by some store clerk in Switzerland who told her she wasn’t wealthy enough to buy a pocketbook. To Oprah, ALL ABOUT RACE. What she is utterly clueless about is that this happens all the time in exclusive boutiques in major cities, TO UM, One of my best friends is Oprah-wealthy, white, NYC dweller, but she dresses like a regular person, only wears a wedding band, no rock, and she’s said many times she’s been eyeballed or ignored in stores. So Oprah, get over yourself. Maybe the store clerk didn’t want to sell you that pocketbook. Period.

65andcounting August 9, 2013 at 10:47 am

Clicked send before I was done: Sorry.

**TO UM, WHITE PEOPLE!!**

Star August 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

I laffed. That happened to her? I have had many clerks sidle up and say, “I am sorry, but I don’t think we carry your size range.” It could be a gift, you dope! Didn’t Oprah also get mad when store closed on time in Europe–this was yrs ago–they would not let her in.

DeniseVB August 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I remember that, but I think she called it “racist” ?

DeniseVB August 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Ok, think I found the story …..

Reminds me of that scene in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts was refused to be waited on in a high end shop because she was still in her skank’ho outfit. Miss Oprah doth protest too much. She should have asked to see the shop owner (who may have recognized her) and clear it all up in a jiffy. Damn these 1%ers and their First World problems. Is Oprah playing the race card to promote her movie ?

Mandy Manners August 9, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Wow. She’s an exploitive and cynical assole.

Car in August 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Oprah’s lived in rarefied air since about 1985 when her show took off.

65andcounting August 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm

The TRUE mettle of a person is determined when they come across adversity. Oprah has lost her credibility by taking the moments in her life that she deems racist to the mainstream media, as if it will elicit sympathy. As far as I can tell, she’s getting a lot of derision. And deservedly so. Awwww, poor Oprah, someone won’t sell her a $3000 Birkin bag that she can carry home (probably duty free) on her $25 million dollar private jet. Give me a break Oprah.

She needs a Dr. Phil intervention!

Girly1 August 9, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Actually, it was a $35,000 Birkin bag. Zeros don’t matter to folks like Oprah and Michelle LaVaughn.

Anne Lieberman August 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

For context: In his last week as president, George W. Bush awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the president of Colombia, Alvaro Uribe, and former Prime Ministers Tony Blair of the UK and John Howard of Australia.

rawheadrex August 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

This has all the validity of the Nobel Prize. BHO has the reverse Midas touch.

Star August 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

I have never been an Oprah fan–too fakey for me. But when she said “millions” had been lynched–I completely departed. You have to admire her flexibility in accepting this from people who have distanced themselves from her in past yrs. A female Gumby for sure.

GWShrub August 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

“A female Gumby for sure ”

Good one.

Star August 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yeah–and Bouncy will be ticked…

ImNoDhimmi August 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I never watched Oprah’s show and only know her as a rabid supporter of King Barry. It makes me laugh that this black woman, one of the richest and most successful women in the entire world, is still bleating about racial inequality and being discriminated against.

Julie Brueckheimer August 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I know it’s kind of a pathetic accomplishment, but I have never watched Oprah Winfrey and now I am glad.

Star August 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm

What? You missed the day she was almost crying with happiness over getting to keep the dress she wore on the cover of Vogue–like the riffraff would be thrilled to imagine such a thing. Go buy it if you want it!

gracepmc August 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

Bill Clinton is a serial adulterer who besmirched the office of the presidency, and Oprah Winfrey now that she can afford to is rapidly becoming something she has publicly railed against — a racist.

Mandy Manners August 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Up until her foray into politics, I respected Winfrey. She came from an incredibly dysfunctional home, and fought her way up in an industry dominated by wealthy, white men.

Car in August 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I want to know why two people – who have been so personally enriched in their tireless dedication – need further recognition? It’s like the King bestowing further titles on the elite and connected.

It just sickens me.

Star August 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm

These people have nothing else to do but give each other awards–I let it roll off me. It’s really kind of dopey.

Julie Brueckheimer August 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

It’s a joke.

cincycinco August 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

TOTALLY unfair! I mean, where’s the one for Letterman? HE did a yeoman’s job of softballing as well…

cincycinco August 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

When’s he going to award himself the Congressional Medal of Honor for his extrordanary military service as Commander-In-Chief?

After all he did a swell job of destroying his enemies’ military capacity worldwide, didn’t he? Unfortunately, WE are his enemies, but that’s just a minor detail..His tireless work on behalf of the Ummah counts, right?

It does if he SAYS it does! Can’t WAIT for the award ceremony! I’m sure they’ll be a grand party in an exotic locale afterward, too!

Langley Spook August 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm

…dont give Dear Leader Obama any ideas…

aunty M August 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Gag Me!!

Star August 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Mean as it sounds, the only thing about Oprah that I can stand is that she can’t stay thin. That makes her at least a little human.

Star August 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Can’t miss radio:
NPR NEWS’ SPECIAL SERIES ‘THE SUMMER OF ‘63’
RECALLS CIVIL RIGHTS-ERA STRUGGLES, 50 YEARS LATER

Timely.

CiscoKid August 9, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Darn it, I can’t remember the name, it might have been Idi Amin, who upon taking office, promoted everyone in the Army one rank.
It became the only Army in the world without a Private.

Jimbo August 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Well, there goes another award that has become worthless thanks to Hussein O’bama.

MortenInIllinois August 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Well, it obviously doesn’t mean anything, anymore. Just like that Nobel thingy that was given out a few years back.

Smokey August 10, 2013 at 8:18 am

…and so goes the mutual admiration society…give em both a cheeseburger.

Dave Sanborn August 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

Friday, August 9, 2013
Oprah Winfrey Joins The Race Baiters – Shamelessly Compares Trayvon Martin Death To A Lynching

Read the entire comment at : http://cambriandissenters.blogspot.com/2013/08/oprah-winfrey-joins-race-baiters.html

erikagrace541 August 11, 2013 at 8:25 am

my co-worker’s mother-in-law makes ?82 an hour on the computer. She has been without work for ten months but last month her payment was ?12362 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this web site …. http://www.BBC13.com

Star August 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

If this scam is so great–you go do it and leave us alone!

b1YkmRd4UHl5 September 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

890108 414781 Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to discover somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is something that is required on the web, someone with just a little originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the internet! 602777