Rob Lowe Materializes in the White House Press Room

by Keith Koffler on May 22, 2013, 7:20 pm

Actor Rob Lowe suddenly appeared in the White House press room today, escorted by White House Correspondents’ Association President Ed Henry of Fox News.

I was very excited, of course, to meet Ed Henry.

Yeah, that’s a joke. Though Ed is a good guy.

But Lowe seemed one too, graciously shaking hands with all and posing for photos with star-struck journalists. As he waded through, radio reporters tumbled out of their booths to see him, desk reporters rose to meet him, and CBS’s Mark Knoller rose to Tweet him.

That’s tireless Tweeter and chronicler of all things White House Knoller below, just behind Lowe, in a shot I took just after he Tweeted to the world that Lowe was among us.

Rob Lowe 2

Sorry, ladies, that the focus is better on Mark instead of Rob.

Lowe said he was at the White House to meet with National Economic Council Director Gene Sperling. Don’t ask me, I don’t get it either.

Gene of course is famous in the White House press corps for staging soporific briefings for reporters and balling out Bob Woodward for half an hour. I assume he avoided giving Lowe the latter treatment. As to the former, we asked Lowe how his nap was.

Afterward, Henry escorted Lowe down to the White House swimming pool, the indoor one built by FDR. It’s still there, underneath the briefing room, which Nixon had built right above it. You can go down and walk around.

I mentioned to Lowe that JFK had done a lot of his relaxing there. He caught my drift.

FREE ROAMING FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS!
Check out the best international Sim Cards and save up to 80% on your phone calls, go to roaming free sims and travelsim!

justamom321 May 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm

For Pete’s sake! When all else fails and you get tired of lying, bring out the moviestar!!!

Mari May 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm

But at least it was a really, really, REALLY good-looking movie star this time!

justamom321 May 22, 2013 at 9:00 pm

True!

Star May 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yes–I heard from Beckel on THE FIVE that Lowe is 23 yrs sober. He looks darn…great! I think his JFK-type frolics are long over.

William May 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Can someone explain why paid parrots are considered experts on…well…anything?

Elaine Povich May 22, 2013 at 8:17 pm

You know, of course, that Sperling was listed as a “consultant” on several of the “West Wing” episodes, along with Dee Dee Myers. I figure that’s how Lowe knows him.

Keith Koffler May 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Forgot about that.

Robin H May 22, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Look! Squirrel!

Julie Brueckheimer May 22, 2013 at 8:40 pm

And the point was? Pacify the press?

Mandy Manners May 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm

LOOK! A TINSEL-COVERED SQUIRREL!

Julie Brueckheimer May 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

OT, but ya think the Brits are going to call the terrorist attack in London today “workplace violence”? They too yelled out Allahu Akbar.

Mandy Manners May 22, 2013 at 9:00 pm

balling out Bob Woodward for half an hour

SNIP

**************

*snicker*

srdem65 May 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Rob who? oh. yawn. I’d really like to meet Ed Henry instead.

Mandy Manners May 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Lowe’s cute, but if I had my choice of Progs to let eat crackers in my bed, it’d be Clooney.

Keith Koffler May 23, 2013 at 12:20 am

Not to name drop Mandy but Clooney is one of the celebrities I’ve met with this job that I’ve been impressed with. We were at a party and started chatting about serious things. Meanwhile a bunch of others at the party literally starting piling up to the side of us, but he didn’t care, he just kept talking with me as if they weren’t there salivating to get a word or a photo with him. Good talk and a smart guy. Finally we finished and he started greeting them graciously.

gracepmc May 23, 2013 at 12:44 am

Lowe is actually one of the good guys. He describes himself as “centrist” but leans right and has been an articulate in support of conservative positions.

Have no clue why he was there.

But yeah, I would like to meet Ed Henry as well.

Star May 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

I hate to say it, Keith, but I can’t stand Clooney–I mean, Booker from Roseanne.

Mandy Manners May 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Did I just say that?

Kimbly May 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

Man, what kind of anti-aging secrets to they have in Hollywood and how can I get a hold of them? With all the partying he did in his life he should look like Knoller by now.

Personette May 23, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Perhaps he just won the gene pool lottery.

Alore July 6, 2013 at 12:12 am

Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming yet again to read other news.

1AXv64KLaYIq6Q July 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

6219 389781Thank you a good deal for sharing this with all men and women you in fact recognize what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Please furthermore speak more than with my internet internet site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us! 798107

Quero trabalhar em casa July 31, 2013 at 2:37 pm