Obama’s Benghazi WOW Factor

by Keith Koffler on May 20, 2013, 2:52 pm

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor, a young woman whose perennial reaction to things was, “Oh wowwww!”

This, we deduced, probably had to do with her having not quite enough working brain synapses to process new information, and even fewer available to manufacture an intelligible response.

And so she just presented to the world a flummoxed visage and exclaimed, “Oh wowwww!”

I suppose she was luckier than us, walking around as she did in a constant state of amazement.

I was reminded of this as I watched White House Senior Advisor Dan Pfeiffer pretend that President Obama’s reaction the night of the Benghazi murders didn’t matter, and that even raising questions about what he did that night was “offensive.”

Other than stammering something at the beginning of the crisis that amounted to “do everything you can,” there has been no information about how he responded to the drumbeat of bad news that must have been coming out of Libya that night.

Did he do nothing? Did he do something that was a bad idea? We don’t know.

Or maybe he just said, “Oh wowwww.”

“Mr. President, our embassy is under attack.”

“Oh wowwww!”

“Mr. President, our embassy is on fire.”

“Oh wowwww!”

“Mr. President, would you like to consider a military response?”

“Wowwww!!”

“Mr. President, the annex is now under attack.”

“Oh wowwww!”

Mr. President?

“Oh wowwww!”

And so forth.

Yes, Dan, it matters what the president did, whether he went to the Situation Room, and what he said that night. Because the nation needs to know what kind of commander in chief it has.

And because a president not held responsible for his actions will commit irresponsible actions.

Darkangel May 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Our ambassador was left for dead, and Barack Obama went to bed.

Elsewhere, The American Spectator is reporting that the very day before the IRS opened its massive file on the Tea Party, the head of the Treasury employee’s union met personally with Obama at the White House.

So, no, he didn’t direct the agency…but it looks like he sure said a few things to the head of the union.

Langley Spook May 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hey Keith, why dont you ask some of those hot-shot, front row reporters in the “WH press corps” who are always allowed to ‘ask’ questions why they have NEVER asked;
“Where was Obama the night of the Benghazi attacks?”
“Where was the ‘President’ after 5p?”
“How/who briefed Obama on the situation that night?”
“Was Obama told about the US military assets in the area; why didnt Obama contact the Pentagon or area commanders?”

I can ask better questions than a “WH reporter” and I never went to journalism school :-)

Scottso May 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Langley,

I’m sorry but more than anything i want to know WHO ORDERED THE STAND DOWN??????

Langley Spook May 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

“Who” indeed “ordered”…
-Stand down of the SpecOps team in Tripoli/N. Africa?
-Stand down of the assests in Europe and the USN Carrier Battle Group in the Med?

AFVet May 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Or, the AC 130 that the Seal had called for ?

scottso May 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm

All of the above and below

Isn’t that the biggest question

AFVet May 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Good question LS.
Are the questions to the fearless leader scripted ?
What happens if you go off script ?
Reporter next in line to be called upon goes off script and asks Obama where the hell where you that night ?
Just once I would love to hear a reporter with some balls lambast that skinny wannabe and watch him dance.
And, when he avoids the question, tell him that he did and ask it again.
I want to see him throw a tantrum.

Scottso May 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Keith, when Pfeiffer told Chris Wallace that the President met with his National security team but wouldn’t say who or how they got THEIR intel…
it reminded of the Feds who tell Indiana Jones that they have “TOP MEN”
working on the Ark of the Convenant.

Major Eaton: I assure you, Dr. Brody, Dr. Jones. We have top men working on it right now.
Indy: Who?
Major Eaton: Top… men.

David Pfeiffer: I assure you, Mr. Wallace, The President was talking to top men.
Wallace: Who?
Pfeiffer: Top…men. And one woman. But not the SOS. Or Susan Rice. or Valerie Jarrett. Or Beyonce.
Wallace: Was it his wife?
Pfeiffer: Well she’s related to his wife.
Wallace: His mother in law?
Pfeiffer: You’re getting colder
Wallace: His daughter
Pfeiffer: You didn’t hear that from me.

AFVet May 20, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Nice comparison.
That in a nutshell is what we are up against.

Julie Brueckheimer May 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Wasn’t “O wow!” a symptom of being stoned?

Star May 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm

In happier times.

Keith Koffler May 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm

See – I was kid, what did I know? Maybe she was smarter than I thought . . .

srdem65 May 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

….or he said ” I must send off a strongly worded message to their leader. When I get back from Vegas”.

…or he said “The guys at ESPN sent over that video of the 2002 game between the Nets and the Bulls. I’m going upstairs to watch that,so tell whoever to take care of that thing in , where?, oh yeah, Benghazi.”

…or he said “Michelle wants me at the dinner table now and then we’re playing Monopoly with the girls, so do whatever you feel is right”

Susan May 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Bravo, Keith. I could sense the outrage you must have felt while writing this story, and share that outrage.

Shame on our Republican leaders for allowing this corrupt regime to stonewall and beat the heck out of America while they sit back and play politics. This isn’t about politics, this is about America. If these career politicians can’t fight the fight then step aside and let the new blood take over. These are dangerous times in America and these people are playing for keeps. Rather than create a maze of lost trails with five congressional committees (TV time for crony leaders), a real statesman would want to get to the bottom of what happened in Benghazi and appoint a select committee to investigate Benghazi. They would also put Darrell Issa in charge of that committee. Guess that pretty much explains why Boehner hasn’t followed through – he’s still playing politics.

Star May 20, 2013 at 3:48 pm

My first reaction would not be to blame the Reps–isn’t that what HE does?

Star May 20, 2013 at 3:51 pm

What is so special about special prosecutors–we have had problems with every one–Ken Starr, anyone–on and on about him. Who was that Chicago guy–the Plame one…forget his name. A big woo like that is another way to get this off the table, out of the headlines, or however you want to phrase it. At least in my opinion.

Star May 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Fitzgerald…that was the name.

Susan May 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This isn’t about Obama and I’m not blaming every Republican, just the leaders and their loyalists who are putting their party politics over the welfare of our country. If we have any prayer of winning Congress in 2014, they have to stand up and take action now.

Julie Brueckheimer May 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Brava, Susan! I’m also wondering if Ms. Lindsey doesn’t think she should head the committee and not Darrell Issa. When I was a practicing Catholic, there were sins of commission and sins of omission, the Democrats guilty of the former, the Republican establishment guilty of the latter.

gracepmc May 20, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Indeed. Can this be used elsewhere?

Anonna May 20, 2013 at 4:41 pm

It has always been The One’s practice to stay uninvolved in anything that requires action.

The idea is that he can then step forward and criticize the actions of those who took responsibility and did something in response to the problem.

The trouble here is that he is the one person who should have been directing the response — so his inaction backfires and he is more responsible than if he had stepped forward and done his job.

Kinda ironic, isn’t it?

Mark Holbrook May 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Pfeiffer was such a twit on the talk show circuit. I guess he thought if he was brash, arrogant and lied without moving his lips, then everyone would take his word as the Gospel According to Obama. Someone needs to tell him that having a cute retort or continuing to blame Republicans just isn’t working when people can sense what the truth is with Benghazi, AP stalking and IRS.

Mandy Manners May 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I HOPE EVERYONE WHO REFUSED TO VOTE FOR JOHN MCCAIN BECAUSE HE WASN’T CONSERAVTIVE ENOUGH IS FUCKING HAPPY NOW!

Susan May 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm

It doesn’t make any difference at this point, but conservatives didn’t lose the election for John McCain. After he won the nomination, every conservative I know campaigned and voted for John McCain, especially after he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate. McCain lost because he listened to the political consultants over his running mate. Besides, they just couldn’t overcome the cult of personality that is Barack Hussein Obama, mmm mmm mmm. And it is a cult. Even the RINOs were mesmerized by “The One” (Peggy Noonan, Colin Powell, etc.).

RickW May 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I’ll second your “cult” assessment, Susan. Many people I spoke to in 2008 literally had a glaze over their eyes when they would speak of “Him” McCain did not have the fire within him to take on a cheap fraud for fear of being called a racist.

RickW May 20, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Maybe if we appealed to Obama by telling him he’d NEVER get a series on the Military Channel’s “Commander & Chief” he’d pay attention to the Benghazi comments………..

Girly1 May 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Has anyone asked the whereabouts of Valerie Jarrett the afternoon and evening of Sept. 11? She is the only member of BHO’s inner circle who dines with the ‘family’ in the private quarters. She is ubiquitous – even spotted her sitting on the dais at yesterday’s Morehouse commencement. She is Obama’s firewall – she needs to be deposed under oath.

RickW May 20, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I read your comment too quickly, Girly. I thought it said “disposed of”……Come to think of it, I like my version better! :>)

Girly1 May 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Me too!

Anonna May 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Yes, the paw of ValJar — what was it doing?