Obama to Award Sally Ride the Medal of Freedom

by Keith Koffler on May 20, 2013, 5:30 pm

From the White House:

President Barack Obama announced he will award a posthumous Presidential Medal of Freedom to Dr. Sally Ride, the first American female astronaut to travel to space.  The Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

President Obama said, “We remember Sally Ride not just as a national hero, but as a role model to generations of young women. Sally inspired us to reach for the stars, and she advocated for a greater focus on the science, technology, engineering and math that would help us get there. Sally showed us that there are no limits to what we can achieve, and I look forward to welcoming her family to the White House as we celebrate her life and legacy.”

The award is sure to please Obama’s LGBT backers, given the Ride was gay.

RickW May 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I’m sure a lot of little girls would be equally motivated if they could tour the White House when their families vacation in DC but…….Oh well.

Star May 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I interviewed her once for a story–she was pleasant. I am not sure how the gay thing fits in. But maybe he can try to grab a news cycle with this. And it’s nice for her family.

Andy from Beaverton May 20, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I thought for sure that Sandra Fluke was going to win it this year.

Star May 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm

By the way–horrible mile-wide tornado reduced some parts of the Oklahoma City area to kindling in the last few hours. No report on fatalities, though there were some. It looks pretty bad. Have I ever mentioned how annoying Shep Smith is?

Sadie May 20, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Shep is to Fox what Sharpton is to MSNBC. I am sure Fox keeps him for that “fair and balanced” tagline, but he’s really just Schlelp Smith.

Horrid news in Ok. – the devasation is overwhelming.

Julie Brueckheimer May 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I can’t imagine it: a mile wide tornado.

gracepmc May 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Perhaps there will be a similar reward for the dead gay ambassador who was murdered while he slept.