Obamas to Toast Political Backer Carole King in East Room

by Keith Koffler on May 17, 2013, 12:02 pm

The White House East Room continues to be a sequester-free zone, as President and Mrs. Obama will be given yet another command performance there Wednesday, this one honoring the music of one of their major political supporters, Carole King.

King campaigned for Obama in 2008 and again in 2012. In October 2012 she was the feature attraction at a fundraiser for the president in Massachusetts, with tickets running from $2,500-$5,000.

Last summer, she starred in this campaign video for the Obama campaign, seeking to woo rural voters.

White House tours are canceled because of the sequester and White House aides are having their pay docked, but the music never stops. Just last month, the Obamas grooved to a concert celebrating the sounds of Memphis Soul.

This time, the show will include performances by King, as well as Gloria Estefan, Billy Joel, Jesse McCartney, Emeli Sandé, James Taylor and Trisha Yearwood. Even as scandals rage around them, it’s still party time.

King is being awarded the 2013 Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. It’s the Obamas’ eleventh “command performance.”

Playrighter May 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Perhaps Huma Abedin can stop by and earn another “consulting fee” like the ones she didn’t disclose while being Hillary’s number two.

Playing at the White House and moonlighting….great chance for another part time gig full of transparency.

gracepmc May 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

And is what happens to those who do not support Papa Doc Barack.

I wonder if Carole King has been visited by the IRS lately.

gracepmc May 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

On my screen that link to Kimberly Strassel’s WSJ article is out of control so if you are interested here is the tiny url

MI May 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Carole King is Wednesday’s court jester, performing for King Putz and Queen Mooch.

Otis Driftwood May 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Both the concert at the WH as well as the Library of Congress are invite only.

Did you get to pick straws to see if you are a press pool member Keith??

Personette May 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm

more cowbell

WNY_ROC May 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm
William May 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

L’Etat, c’est moi. — Barack Obama.

Julie Brueckheimer May 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

He wouldn’t know what that meant.

rawheadrex May 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Isn’t one of her hits:”It’s too Late?” Prophetic, what?

cincycinco May 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Yes! Was this intended as irony?

“Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time”
(OMG! that is SO Obama!)
“There’s something wrong here, there can be no denying
One of us is changing
Or maybe we just stopped trying”
(Is this about Obama and the AP’s relationship?)

“And it’s too late, baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died
And I can’t hide and I just can’t fake it ”

(OK, can’t see Obama EVER saying he “cant fake it”. He’d stop breathing first. Not a perfect fit, but still…)

“It used to be so easy living here with you
You were light and breezy and I knew just what to do
Now you look so unhappy and I feel like a fool”

And it’s too late, baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died
And I can’t hide and I just can’t fake it

There’ll be good times again for me and you
But we just can’t stay together, don’t you feel it, too
Still I’m glad for what we had and how I once loved you

But it’s too late, baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can’t hide
And I just can’t fake it”

rawheadrex May 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Bingo!

Sadie May 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Will she serenade him?

You’re so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You’re so vain
I’ll bet you think this song is about you
Don’t you? Don’t you?

Star May 17, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I think that was Carly…Did King do I looked at Life From Both Sides Now–Republican and Dem–and guess which I like.

Cindy Lu May 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm

no that was joni mitchell

Playrighter May 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

“You’re so vain” was by Carly Simon, formerly married to Obama uber-supporter and current performer James Taylor.

Lizzy May 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Are you kidding me!!! Why not golf after and then take a quick vacation
with the little woman.

gracepmc May 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

“little” woman?

Star May 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Plus–is Carole King A-list? Maybe their “gets” are slipping.

cindylou May 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm

He is doing this deliberately While everyone is focused on his obscene partying he is doing his damage to our country while “we” look the other way

Star May 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

Luckily we can multitask.

Cindy Lu May 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm
Junius May 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Another giant thrust up middle finger to the tax paying citizens of this country from Dictator Obama and our First Entitlement Queen, Moochelle. The arrogance of these two is beyond the pale and breathtaking to say the least. Nothing, it is clear in their own little minds, can touch them no matter what they do or what crimes they commit. In response, I would like to draw Dictator Obama and the scowling Queen Moochelle’s attention to one of my favorite quotes from ancient times which applies to these two blood sucking leeches: “All arrogance will reap a harvest rich in tears. God calls men to a heavy reckoning for overweening pride.” Herodotus.

Party down Dictator Obama and Queen Moochelle while you can. Your time of reckoning is rapidly approaching and most fittingly you will be undone by your own actions.

florida gal May 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I guess Trisha Yearwood’s husband, Garth Brooks, must have voted for the “other guy” since he wasn’t invited to the bash.

I love Trisha’s cooking show on FoodNetwork but I think I will give it up for the next 3 1/2 years.

Star May 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing–the woman can cook!

Girly1 May 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm

:La Dolce Vita – Obama style! Enjoy it while you can, lil Barry, before they slip the handcuffs on and haul you away to Federal prison! You’ll be singing the ‘Jailhouse Blues’.

Bonnie May 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Jailhouse Rock!!! Can’t wait.

CiscoKid May 17, 2013 at 4:55 pm

” Party on Wayne ”
” Party on Garth “

Susan May 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Can someone please start impeachment against this man. He is most certainly not doing his job and is involved in all kinds of scandels for which he says he didn’t know. What are we paying him for?

Bonnie May 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Who starts impeachment anyway? If its the Republican Party, I sure hope they screw up their courage and get underway. My guess is that the IRS scandal, the AP scandal will just warm things up for the main attraction–BENGHAZI. Four dead Americans whose families deserve answers for how and why this happened. Who gave that stand-down order???

cincycinco May 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

Impeachement can start on either the House or the Senate, but a impeachment verdict in one will then move to the other.

In this case, as with the Clinton impeachment, even were the House to move to impeach, it would be DOA in the Senate. The only purpose that would be served by impeachement, then, would be to write the campaign commercials for the Democrats running against sitting Republicans, allowing the Dems to paint Republicans as “trying to impeach Obama because he’s Black”. It would work too, to judge by the previous election cycle.

It would only result in more seats going Democrat in the next election, and therefore strengthen Obama’s hand – perhaps to the point of super-majority. He already owns the media, the Senate, and 6 of 9 Supremes, not to mention everyone in America who wants the Government to take someone else’s property in order to provide them with free cell phones. If that were to happen, what could stop him THEN?

This is why he won’t be impeached. I heard a radio commentator mention that “no one in Congress would be willing to have the “blood” of impeaching the first Black President on their hands”. Sad, but true. Plenty of reasons to impeach, and with a White President, he would be surely and swiftly gone.

Of course, a White President would have never got this far in the FIRST place…

Bonnie May 18, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for this little civics lesson. I am afraid you have nailed the answer.

mandy manners May 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm

How many command performances did Bush have?

k hayes May 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Bush had 5 in 8 years, Obama has had 10 in 5 years.

just-saying May 17, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Fiddlers?

movintothefarm May 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

This is just pathetic. I don’t know how to respond any more. Maybe that’s what the O Admin is hoping for. Just shut-up.

Not Nabob the Knothead May 17, 2013 at 11:56 pm

We’ve got a Slick Willie, i.e. Bill “it depends on what the definition of is is” Clinton and now it’s Slick Daddy, i.e. Barack ” I wasn’t aware of that until I heard it now” Obama.
Way to go Dems, you are really building a great legacy for late night comedians.

terry May 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

I wish I knew how this man keep getting away with things??!?! how far does he get to hurt us?!?! why isn’t Washington waking up and fighting for their own country?!? God help us.

amazon.com/Phytoceramides-Dermatologist-Recommended-Convenient-Supplement/dp/B00HJCC9BA June 5, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I need to to thank you for this great read!! I definitely loved every
bit of it. I have got you book-marked to look at new things you post…