Michelle: School Lunches Might Get Delicious!

by Keith Koffler on May 4, 2013, 11:48 am

The government is attempting to come to the rescue of starving children shunning their healthier new school lunches. In remarks at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Friday, First Lady Michelle Obama revealed that the bureaucracy is churning up some new recipes.

The Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, I believe that that legislation is truly one of the greatest legacies that we can leave our children. Because of this Act . . . 32 million American children are getting more of the nutrition they need to learn and grow and be successful. And I do hope that it’s delicious. We’re working on that, yes indeed.

Since the new food guidelines were implemented, there have been widespread stories suggesting tons of broccoli, carrots and asparagus are being dumped in trash cans throughout the nation as kids choose empty stomachs over ones filled with food they don’t like. Other students are forcing themselves to eat lunch but find they lack energy later in the day because the portions aren’t big enough or don’t have enough calories.

I’m not sure, though, how this stuff is going to get tastier without becoming less healthy. There are two ways I know of to make things taste better:

1. Add fat

2. Add sugar

Both of these substances are well known contributors to rounded waistlines.

Good luck Michelle. I do admire that you are trying to get our children to eat better. Many of them these days are . . .  well, how else to say it?

They’re fat.

But once you start creating mandates and throwing federal one-size-fits-all government solutions at the problem, things can only get worse, even if the intentions are good.

Somebody, please, help these poor children.

Star May 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

First, I don’t admire ANYTHING that woman does. Maybe that’s simplistic, but I don’t–she frosts my cahooties. Second, if these kids don’t want to eat, then feel crummy. Yes, the veggies may be wasted. I think school systems should provide a decent number of choices–and not all potato chips and grease, either. Bring from home if you don’t like the grub. Also, studies are showing that having recess before lunch in the elementary grades increases appetite and decreases “the sillies” in class after lunch.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I can’t find the link, but I’ve read of school districts that monitor food students bring from home. I recall one incident in which the school threw out one kid’s lunch and forced her/him to eat the school’s food which happened to be less healthy than the original food.

MarjoJimbo May 4, 2013 at 1:25 pm

North Carolina, Mandy. My nanny state. It was a preschoolers lunch.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Was it in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill region?

cincycinco May 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm

“Bring from home if you don’t like the grub. ” – Star

Ah, but are you SURE the State will let you do THAT? (The following is sarcasm!) They’re SO much better than you at making food choices for your children…(sarc off)

“A preschool girl was told her homemade meal wasn’t healthy enough – so a school cafeteria monitor made her eat chicken nuggets instead.

The rejected meal consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, with a side of a banana, potato chips, and apple juice.”

“On top of the wasted food that was sent home with the little girl at the end of the day was a $1.25 bill for the ‘healthy’ school lunch.”

“Socialists think of society as a giant, sticky wad. And no part of that gum ball–no intimate detail of your private life, for instance–can be pulled free from the purview of socialism. Witness Sweden’s Minister for Consumer, Religious, Youth and Sports Affairs. Socialism is inherently totalitarian in philosophy.” – P.J. O’Rourke

I like the way he puts that. Nothing CAN be pulled free from their control. Not even your child’s lunch…

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

That’s the story I was posting about.

Star May 4, 2013 at 1:11 pm

What does that story prove? I read it at the time. Some schools require kids to bring lunch. What are you saying would be good–return to the burgers, fries, pizza routine, close salad bars, cut choices?

cincycinco May 4, 2013 at 1:36 pm

What WOULD be good would be if the Federal Government were to get on with performing it’s Constitutional duties, guarding borders, national defense, stuff like that – and got OUT of the lunchroom.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
-U.S. Constitution, 10th Amendment

There is very little in the Constitution about greens. It doesn’t matter if school lunches are good or bad – at the FEDERAL level. The states, locals, or, maybe – just MAYBE – THE PARENTS should make these decisions.

Honestly, we got INTO this fix because everyone wants it to be a FEDERAL crime when someone does something they don’t like, or doesn’t feed their kids as they think they ought. I think the FEDERAL governemt has ENOUGH on it’s plate WITHOUT TELLING US HOW TO FEED OUR OWN KIDS!!!

Whew! Rant over, sorry – again – Star, but I needed that.

Probably will a few MORE times, since the O’s will be around awhile longer…

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm

SNIP
***************

We have scads of obese children at our local schools, so I don’t know if I’d put it solely in their parents’ hands. I don’t know how these kids have become obese because I’d estimate that more than 80 percent come from homes fed by SNAP.

cincycinco May 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Always keep Government in the smallest possible unit.

Always.

If you let them take away the rights of parents, be aware that they can take away yours as well.

If you REALLY want to use the power of Government to cure obesity, limit SNAP card/direction card/ whatever ELSE they call food stamp cards from purchasing crap foods.

That would go a LONG way, and limits something that ISN’T a right….

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I’m a parent, and I guard my child’s and my freedom closely, which is one of the reasons he goes to a private, Christian school. It’s a huge chunk of change, and I have to drive 400 miles a week, but it’s worth every cent and mile.

About SNAP cards, the government should stop allowing them to be used to purchase anything but things allowed under the WIC program. I about fainted when I saw our local Dominoes’ sign advertising SNAP for take-out pizzas.

Star May 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

After a few yrs in the DC schools, I transferred my kid to parochial school–no hot lunch. She “brought.” We had tons of those insulated bags under the sink, I saw one day. I used make her little salads with her favorite ranch in a plastic tub. The other day (she’s 31 now) I said did you like those salads? “Those? Traded them,” she said.

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Mandy: It doesn’t matter!!! We can encourage parents to cook healthy, but it is no one’s business…not yours or Michelle’s…to control what they eat.
Can we just each the 3 R’s and get out of this other crap?
One theory: If moms weren’t working to pay taxes they could stay home and have time and money to cook good meals…go figger!!!

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Nowadays, mothers work outside the home for reasons other than paying taxes.

I would like to say that we’re dealing with the effects of a recent shift in society, but women have worked outside the home for a long, long time, pre-dating Betty Friedan and her cohort by more than a century.

gobnait May 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm

As long as obese children are living in their parents’ homes, they’ll have access to the unhealthy food and large portions that made them that way. Are you prepared for government to mandate what must be served at home too? This is getting out of hand.

mikec May 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

agreed. with all the actual problems in the country, why on earth is the federal gov’t messing in schools.
What happened to local authority?
Doesn’t the Ag department have enough to do building their food stamp empire?

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I don’t know how you’re getting that from what I wrote. The kid in question had a good lunch taken away, and was given a less healthy meal.

I’m all for schools providing healthy food, but if kids aren’t eating the food, they’re going hungry and we’re wasting our money.

If–and that’s a big if–the federal government involves itself in an area not sanctioned by the Constitution, why should it impose a one-size-fits-all standard?

Gee. Maybe that’s why some things should be left up to the states, and in this case, the local schools.

cincycinco May 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Great minds think alike…

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Agree it should not be federal. Let the parents you think will have so much say go to the schools and do it–but the old lunches were the cheapest crap imaginable or affordable and probably could have used a fluff-up. I u sed to eat at my kid’s school once in a while to check…The First Lady certainly did not need to be involved. But she is now–though the locals will do the work and effect change.

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm

3. Add salt.

As for fat, there is nothing wrong with it in moderation. It’s a source of long term energy which school children need to get them through the end of the day and post school activities. Of course there are good fats and not-so fats. Maybe kids think avocados are yucky, but I love them.

One final comment: modest, isn’t she? “Truly one of greatest legacies we can leave our children.” That’s the real message here. SHE thinks she is leaving a legacy too, and btw, it is a ‘great’ one.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Who elected her? I don’t recall her name on any ballot in either 2008 or last November.

cincycinco May 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm

“Who elected her?” – Mandy Manners

“Michelle: I am your king – eh, Queen.

Mandy: Well I didn’t vote for you.

Michelle: You don’t vote for queens.

Woman: Well how’d you become queen then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

Michelle: The Lady of the Lunch, her hair clad in the purest shimmering jute nettage held aloft The Ladle of Lardlessness from the bosom of the chili pot, signifying by divine providence that I, Michelle, was to carry The Ladle of Lardlessness. THAT is why I am your ki – Queen! Queen!. ”

(Apologies to Monty Python & The Holy Grail)

Or, if you prefer,

“Mandy Manners: Never, in my whole life, have I ever sworn allegiance to him, her, whatever.

Jay Carney: It matters not. “She” is your Queen.

(Apologies to Braveheart)
Something like that…

It’s a dear leader thing. You and I are peasants, so we’re not expected to understand.

We ARE, however, expected to OBEY. That’s a drone circling overhead…

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

BRAVO!

Now I’m having images of Michelle as a watery tart.

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Hey, maybe Barack is the Queen!

MichelleIndependent May 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

My neighbor’s kid is fat, fat, fat. he comes home and plops in front of the video game console for HOURS and never goes outside.

My guess is that he is already 200 pounds and only 12.

Bad parenting.

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:29 pm

The government food pyramid is a bunch of garbage!! Meats, good fats, vegetable, fruits. That’s real food….see Paelo!

Playrighter May 5, 2013 at 3:17 am

Mustard makes broccoli much more palatable — and it’s good for you.

MichelleIndependent May 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

What happened to recess and phys Ed?

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Have schools eliminated them in order to meet NLRB requirements?

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Nuts.

NCLB, not the NLRB.

Star May 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Some schools have eliminated recess–this is not good, in my opinion. Others rearranged it in the day (see my comment above). Still others teach with motion–in math class, for instance, if your answer is “2,” you jump two times…things like that.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

When he was entering fifth grade, my son flipped out when he was told there’d be only one recess. But, he already was into Little League and junior varsity football. At his school, students must either be in a sport or take P.E. for four hours each week once they enter middle school.

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I recall reading that they were discontinued in Chicago at one time, but I think they’ve been reinstated there.

srdem65 May 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

The elementary school is about 120yds from my home and the children have recess every day, outside. Winter and summer.
But, I live in the suburbs where the school yard is grassy, not the inner city where crime is rampant, and the schoolyard is concrete.

MarjoJimbo May 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

PE in my state means making the kids walk around outside–PE teachers are not required and cost money (like art and music teachers have been cut).

srdem65 May 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Takeaways:
1. All the adults in this video are overweight.
2. None of the children in the video are overweight.
3. American kids are the best.
4. Only in America can kids put out a video that mocks the FLOTUS’s “great legacy” as bunkum.

GeorgiaGirl67 May 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm

‘Waste’ lines? Ahem … that should be “waistlines.” Surprised nobody caught that.

Don’t get me wrong. Overall, it’s a great blog, and I agree with what you say. I’m just a nitpicky former journalist and that kind of stuff jumps out at me. Can’t help myself; I have to correct. I know we all make mistakes.

Janna May 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Poor Georgia doesnt know snark when she reads it…..rather sad, really : (

Keith Koffler May 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Janna, I hate to say it, but it wasn’t snark, though it might have worked as such!

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Well, you’re a rara avis, a nitpicky former journalist. I’m an old English major, and one of my hobbies is nitpicking the current journalists. It ain’t hard to do either.

Star May 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Be gentle, Georgia–some of us have bad vision and over-eager typing fingers. We pretty much go for the gist.

Troy C May 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm

If Michelle didn’t have an a$$ the size of Rhode Island, she’d be a little more credible. She is a terrible human being.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm

You don’t have to be fat in order to have a big butt.

My sister and I are the same height. I weigh about 105 lbs., and wear between a 2P and 6P; she weights about 130 lbs., and wears between a 10P and a 12P. She’s not fat–she’s extremely athletic but has a much bigger bone structure.

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I really detest the lady, but you are right. I think it is genetic with her. Please, I’m not racist!! But I have noticed that many African Americans have rather high, muscular posteriors.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Some things are just what they are.

And, some like it that way.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm

All this shit I see about her jaw and her butt and her whatever:..

Michelle Obama is a typical woman in the United States of America.

MarjoJimbo May 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Amen, Mandy.

Troy C May 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I didn’t know “typical” American women tried to force everyone else to eat things they don’t want to. I also didn’t know the “typical” American woman hates America.

Susan May 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I don’t either, Troy. In my opinion, Mooch more closely resembles a lumberjack in drag than she does a “typical” American woman. She also eats like a lumberjack and has worse table manners. She’s an ugly woman on the inside as well as the outside.

ImNoDhimmi May 6, 2013 at 8:03 am

If Me-Chelle is a typical American woman, I fear for the United States.

Star May 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm

You also–re the comment before yours–don’t have to have a small butt to know about nutrition. That is the kind of comment that, to me, adds little.

Star May 5, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I mean the Rhode Island remark–I won’t even call it a joke.

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm

You can have a big butt and not be fat, and know about how to eat healthful foods.

Star May 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I am just sick of the “fat” drivebys on this woman–she has plenty of other flaws. It doesn’t add much, in my opinion. Usually it’s a man who gets off somehow on insulting a woman.

terry May 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm

wonder how much this will cost us??? I am sure it will.

Star May 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm

By the way, school systems struggle with this, research it, try things, etc–with no nod to Michelle’s self-serving (like my pun?) little pronouncements whatsoever.

Star May 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Here is one–there are MANY!

I also sort of smirk at that British guy Jamie Oliver blatting on about serving the kids risotto, etc. But if you throw enough asparagus at the wall, maybe some will stick.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Risotto? To hundreds of kid?

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I was joking (I think)–but he is all over this lunch thing with fancy healthful recipes.

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm

From what I’ve read, Oliver is a pretty polarizing individual.

Star May 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I agree–why I smirk (see above). But my pt is that there are dozens of orgs and thousands of school districts all tinkering with this–and they have pretty stringent budgets, too, which cuts options. Michelle is late to the party and from what I see on this site today, her take on it is not the healthiest.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm

But, to hear it from her, she’s the first one ever to tackle it.

I’m wonder if she, too, is a narcissist.

Gosh. Can you imagine what it’s like to be raised by two narcissists?

I hope Marian Robinson is a good influence on Malia and Sasha.

ImNoDhimmi May 6, 2013 at 8:07 am

You wonder if Mooch is a narcissist? I’d say there’s no doubt at all that she is. Not as far gone as Barry perhaps, but nonetheless, Mooch loves Mooch and thinks she should have the absolute best of everything because, well, she deserves it.

Susan May 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It’s amazing how these leftists operate. First of all, they take physical activity out of school because children might hurt themselves playing dodge ball or climbing the monkey bars. As a result, they have created a bunch of fearful fatties who spend their free time exercising their fingers on gamer consoles instead of competing with each other on the playground. Their solution to the lack of exercise is to starve the children by making their lunch menus bland and tasteless. How much more Orwellian can these Marxists get – “Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act”?

The parents must take responsibility as well. If they are allowing these Marxists to raise their children, it’s their fault. Our kids rarely ate the school lunches. Every school night before we went to bed they helped pack their own lunches under our supervision. They also were limited to the amount of time they spent in front of the television set each day, and neither one of them ever had a weight problem.

Time for parents to wake up and see what these Marxists are trying to do. They are attempting to wrestle control of the children from the parents so they can create good little mindless sheep who follow the dictates of the state without question. We need to fight against this collectivist cancer that is devouring our society and reclaim our public schools. Abolishing the Department of Education and getting rid of the teachers unions that suck the virtue and independence out of the principled teachers would be a good start.

Star May 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

We played outside as kids–ran the neighborhood like feral dogs until Mom screamed for dinner…She was a home ec major, served every health thing you can imagine–and I have been fat all my life. Go know. Again–not research, just an observation.

Guillermo Grande May 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m with you Star. We ran around all day long…after work in the fields was over. And we didn’t have snacks. We had food. If you were hungry you cooked something or (heaven forbid the thought today) leftovers! School lunches were for special days and they were tasty. One possible outcome is these kids are getting a lesson in freedom. Maybe feminism has caught up and all these kids will have a problem with “The Mom” as opposed to “The Man”?

Knowing you are such a fan, there is still only one review on mooch-hells new app. Worth a read if you haven’t already: Michelle’s Style List by Style Lister

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for thinking of me–I eat, breathe, and worship the Boss, as you know.

Ellen K May 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Have you ever seen your average vegan/vegetarian? While celebrity types are glowing, most of those who limit their food in such ways end up lethargic and open themselves to a variety of diseases. We have teeth for tearing meat as well as grinding grain because we are omnivores who can and should eat a wide range of foods. That is what allowed us to develop at the top of the food pyramid. One of the things totalitarian societies do is to limit food sources even when other foods are available. A passive population lacking in the energy to revolt is what every totalitarian desires.

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Vegetarianism is the most unhealthy way to eat and they often get serious diseases. The body needs fat and meat!!

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Extremism on either point of the scale is dangerous.

Star May 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

I agree–meat contains zinc, B vits, protein…some of this is hard to get from a plate of veggies.

MarjoJimbo May 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

How about we take the gluten out of everyone’s diet. It isn’t healthy for anyone and can become literally addictive.

Empty calories.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm

My cold, dead hands.

Ellen K May 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Would you care to prove that? There’s no scientific evidence that gluten has any impact on health except for those who are allergic. This is similar to people who replace all sugar with substitutes ignoring the impact of those artificial chemicals on health.

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Most people are not allergic to gluten or even have non-Celiac gluten allergies–this is a trendy way to eliminate the dreaded carbs, read bread.

AZ Granny May 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I’m sure the people allergic to wheat or have gluten intolerance wish it were only trendy. Gluten or wheat can be found in more than bread, such as ice cream, “natural” flavors, hot dogs or soy sauce, etc.

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm

If you made that suggestion to Nanny Bloomberg, he’d probably take you up on it.

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Today’s gluten is not your grandma’s gluten, or wheat! There is nothing good in it…read Wheat Belly, read Paleo.
But gosh…eat what you want. Free country!

Star May 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

Gluten is a protein found in some grains…It’s trendy now to spurn it. But people get tired of eating no bread and finding gluten-free recipes and veer away from the diet–that is what studies show… But, sure, if you want to cu tout bread, you miss some fiber and vits, but it won’t kill you.

ImNoDhimmi May 6, 2013 at 8:11 am

The only people who should avoid gluten are those with celiac disease. This whole “gluten free” trend is just that – a trend. Taking gluten out of baked goods gives them all the taste appeal of cardboard.

Al47 May 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm

As a public school substitute in Central California, I see first hand the food served for breakfast and lunch at the elementary level. Yes, they do get fresh fruits and low fat milk but the rest is not cooked by the school district’s cafeterias, rather bought and at times comes in packaged. Then I see the kids throw away most of their food, sometimes partially consumed.

AZ Granny May 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Many restaurants use prepared foods too nowadays. I didn’t realize just how much until I was diagnosed with soy allergy and have to inquire about their ingredients.

AZ Granny May 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Michelle’s school lunch program is very flawed. For instance, it allows only 2 ounces more of protein per week for high school kids than a kindergartner, meaning a 17 year old football player is limited to 12 ounces of protein per week. Calorie wise, high school kids are limited to a max of 850 calories per lunch while kindergartners get 650 calories per day. High school kids are not getting enough calories to make it through the day, especially with sports. Kids can’t even have sandwiches anymore because of the regulations/restrictions. The meals are too many carbs, not enough protein. Some fat is necessary.

There’s a school in Chicago that does not allow kids to take lunches from home. And then there’s the incident already mentioned, about the child’s lunch from home being thrown out and the child being made to eat a school lunch instead.

The idea that someone without a degree in nutrition is trying to tell the country how to feed their children is ludicrous. Bring back PE and recess at the schools. Kid’s can’t play outdoors anymore because there’s a sex offender in every neighborhood. That’s why kids are fat, not to mention all the highly refined processed food they’re given at home and school.

Star May 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Have never seen those numbers before. I am sure some did them for her. Way too low! Kids are growing–remember that…and not just in fatness.

AZ Granny May 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm

You can see the calorie allotments for carbs, veggies, fruit, protein and fat here:

I believe these numbers to be accurate as many other websites also reported this after kids started complaining about being hungry.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Don’t too many carbohyrates contribute to obesity?

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 8:49 pm

In couch potatoes definitely. Kids would burn them up, active kids that is. My husband used to run marathons, and they recommended carbohydrates before the race. Carbohydrates are quick energy: they are are metabolized more quickly. Fats are long-term energy and take time to metabolize. Proteins are the building blocks, not a source of energy, but growing kids need lots of them.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I was wondering if the emphasis on carbohydrates and not protein and fats was a way to feed kids on the cheap. I’m all cutting costs, but kids need more protein that the small amounts theyr’e getting at school. especially if they don’t have decent food when they go home.

There I go again, putting the state in the parent’s place. However, there are many, many kids whose only solid food comes from schools. But, snot. That’s reality for many kids.

*sigh*

justamom321 May 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Wheat saved the world because it was cheap…but today’s grains are terrible!

Star May 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Fats, preferably unsaturated, also allow vitamins to be absorbed.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I wonder if that school is dealing with kids who are allergic to peanuts.

Star May 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

That peanut thing is an issue. Many cateferias allow none to even be brought in–this can lead to “bring” lunches being banned, though that is a minority of schools. A severely allergic child can touch say, a monkey bar a kid who just ate a PB&J touched, and get a fatal dose.

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I can certainly understand that.

MarjoJimbo May 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

My school district doesn’t allow any foods to be brought in (not counting lunches) other than purchased food in its original packaging. I think it has something to do with the sanitary conditions, not the ingredients, although knowing the ingredients is important for allergies.

Ellen K May 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Growing active kids need protein. School mandated lunches limit or restrict protein because it is often accompanied by fat. Consequently you have kids either doing without and living on energy drinks or falling asleep in the afternoon. There’s also a problem with portions. A 100 pound 15 year old girl is not going to eat as much as a 17 year old 170 pound boy. Boys are inherently more active. Yet many schools seek to limit kids to just one meal which doesn’t fill them up. And no, veggies won’t do it if a kid is facing a rigorous athletic workout after school. There are so many artificial limitations in place that ignore the need for young children to have some fat in their diets for brain development. This is what happens when you let celebrities determine our lifestyles.

Darkangel May 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm

So let me see if I have this correct.

A 15-year-old girl can’t be trusted to make her own food choices at the school cafeteria, but she’s perfectly capable of being trusted with the morning-after pill.

There’s just no understanding the liberal mind.

Guillermo Grande May 4, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I think you have it quite right. It is the liberal way to protect you from bad choices. Either in the cafeteria or in the back seat of the boyfriends car. They know better. About. EVERYTHING. It is all about control.

Julie Brueckheimer May 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Bravo! Talk about a screwed up, upside down world.

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm

DING!DING!DING!

rulierose May 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm

AND–I as a mom still have to sign a permission form for my 15-year-old to go on a school trip…but I don’t even have to be informed if she goes to get the morning-after pill.

Island Girl May 5, 2013 at 12:56 am

Yes 15 years olds know everything. Speaking from experience:)

Mandy Manners May 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm
rulierose May 4, 2013 at 11:26 pm

3. add salt.

levi12 May 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I’m a teacher and my students complain that lunches leave them hungry. People need healthy fat, and the school lunches are so low in fat that they are not filling, nor healthy. Trans-fats, vegetable oil, sugar, bleached flour, and processed foods are what contributes to obesity in this country, and those are all still present in school lunches. The food pyramid endorsed by the USDA, influenced by agricultural lobby groups, is not necessarily a healthy way to eat. Government needs to stick to what it is supposed to do and stop trying to tell us–and our children–what we should be eating.

AZ Granny May 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

The food pyramid has been changed to Choose My Plate, courtesy of Michelle Obama. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
Basically, the first half of the plate is fruit and veggies, more than the 2nd half is grains and the remainder (less than 1/4) is protein. Then dairy is off to the side as a glass would be. This is even more confusing than the pyramid and less healthy.

Not Nabob the Knothead May 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Lots of very good comments here today, WHD is movin on up.

Island Girl May 5, 2013 at 12:50 am

My favorite

MarjoJimbo May 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

Me, too, Island Girl. Better and better!

Star May 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

I love threads that aren’t vulgar and teach me something!

Island Girl May 6, 2013 at 3:56 am

Yes the comments seal the deal for me Star.
Yay Marjo and not Knothead:)

Bkhuna May 5, 2013 at 8:03 am

What does Mouchelle Antoinette’s precious perfumed princesses eat at school?

Lead by example.

Field Salad
Fusilli Pasta with
Carbonara Sauce
Fusilli Pesto Pasta
Garlic Green Beans
Fresh Bartlett Pears

I doubt public schools can afford this.

Star May 5, 2013 at 11:57 am

Jamie Oliver, phone for you.

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm

It sounds like a tasty menu, but I love veggies.

MarjoJimbo May 5, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Somebody want to break out the nutritional content?

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I bet it’s high.

Star May 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I am not seeing a lot of protein on there…There is a new study last week that said people who eat a lot of pizza have fewer heart attacks. Like all studies, add a grain of you know what… When I wrote about all this for WebMD for so many yrs, my favorite line was one guy who said, “We don’t eat nutrients–we eat food.” There is something in the blending…

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 12:55 pm

These are the children of rich folks. I guarantee you those parents pay attention to these menus.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Fusilli with carbonara sauce? That’s a heart killer.

Star May 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Why? Lots of lycopene and olive oil.

Julie Brueckheimer May 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

The carbonara sauce I used to make had equal parts eggs, cream, bacon and Parmesan.

Star May 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm

You’re right–it is a white sauce, I stand corrected. Eggs are fine, bacon is protein, some recipes have milk not cream, and parmesan is protein…it is not heart attack on a plate necessarily…but yes, it is caloric–though not empty.

Star May 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Now I am hungry!

timW May 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

You forgot to add butter and salt & pepper. These 3 ingredients make any veggies taste good.

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Or garlic. Or herbs.

Star May 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm

By the way, the youngsters in that picture may not be weak with French fry deprivation, but instead stayed up to all hrs on their electronic devices–this is a real problem for kids that age. I guess the schools no longer sell Red Bull–kidding, kidding….

Darkangel May 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Oh, you didn’t hear about this? Apparently, the FDA announced on Friday that they want to crack down on caffeinated foods next.

So, according to our government, 15-year-olds are just fine for the morning-after pill, they just can’t wash it down with a Monster Rehab.

Yes, I’m still on that, because I just can’t believe our government has gotten that morally bankrupt.

And then out in California, they want to send free condoms to 12-year-olds. “We’ll cover your pickle, and you won’t pay a nickel! What, you want 2% milk in the cafeteria? Sorry, 1% or skim, that’s it.”

WHAT IN GOD’S NAME IS HAPPENING TO THE AMERICA I LOVE?!!

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm

SNIP
***************

In schools or in general?

Star May 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

For a second, I thought SNIP was a drink!

Yes–they did announce this–and I learned there were caffeinated potato chips. Did not know that.

Star May 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Incidentally, caffeinated drinks send a significant number of people to the ER…Of course, they have over done it.

Mandy Manners May 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Caffeinated chips?! Well, I never.

My kid is 12, and the only caffeine I’ll let him have is in a regular soda or iced tea. He can beg and plead all he wants, but I’ll hold off on Red Bull and the like until he’s older because I’ve heard of people going to the ER, and if memory serves, even dying after drinking that stuff.

But, I don’t know if government should regulate it beyond making the manufacturers list the ingredients and amount of caffeine.

Star May 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

At this pt, I think it is just being watched–brought under FDA control or proposed to be brought…but not banned like that NY attempt.

Susan May 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

“WHAT IN GOD’S NAME IS HAPPENING TO THE AMERICA I LOVE?!!”

The Socialist Democrats are in power. We need to fix that. Democrats (and RINOs) from the local dog catcher to the US Senate need to be tossed out of office in 2014. They aren’t hard to spot. They’re being very open in their attempts to enslave the American people and destroy our way of life.

Anonna May 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

A lot of this “our village will raise your kid” stuff is to gloss over the fact that many kids today are orphans with two living parents. Those kids who get three meals a day in Washington, D.C., schools — the kids in my county who have charity food snuck into their backpacks on Fridays so they have something to eat at home.

If we pretend that all kids belong to all of us, we can ignore how druggie parents, etc., drop babies onto U.S. soil and use the checks to fuel their party lifestyle. No need to criticize any racial or ethnic group — let’s just pretend that it’s normal that kids get no meals at home!

Harry Dresden May 6, 2013 at 8:02 am

I read on the side of the package that the average caloric intake of the average person is 2000 calories. If you feed a 30 year old male 2000 calories a day he will get into shape. if you feed 2000 calories to a 1 year old female she will get in shape. (Round IS a shape ;)

Pat June 22, 2013 at 12:50 am

Two problems here: Michelle Obama is like a naggy mother and kids tend to ignore naggy moms.

Second, she wants to change everything immediately. Kids need time to adjust to new foods and way of eating, and you do it gradually. They didn’t learn terrible food habits in one day…Jerry Seinfeld’s wife did a cookbook for parents using pureed vegetables in spaghetti sauces, soups and other “comfort food” so the kids didn’t even know they were eating more vegetables. You don’t even taste them in the food. Sneaky, but it works….LOL Raw, crunchy broccoli and baby carrots with a side dish of ranch dressing goes over with kids, mushy overcooked broccoli and carrots from the steam table goes straight to the garbage can. It’s obvious Michelle doesn’t know much about feeding kids…

gywKcJspjCRZkj July 25, 2013 at 12:44 am

846914 807283you can have an perfect weblog proper here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my weblog? 174935

hot jav December 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

It is really best time for it to generate a number of programs to the long run plus its time to be very glad. We have read this post and if I can I want to recommend you a few appealing issues or tips. Perhaps you may produce pursuing content articles regarding this article. I personally wish to discover more elements approximately that!