Biden Gave Less Than 2 Percent of Income to Charity

by Keith Koffler on April 14, 2013, 6:04 am

Vice President Biden and Dr. Jill Biden gave just 1.9 percent of their adjusted gross income to charity last year, far less than that donated by the Obamas and even below what the average American gives.

The Bidens reported an adjusted gross income of $385,072 in 2012 but gave only $7,190 to charity, a pittance for a couple earning so much and an incredibly small amount for a politician who probably hopes to run for president in 2016.

Jill Biden removing her mask after going as the Grinch to a White House holiday party.

Jill Biden removing her mask after going as The Grinch to a White House holiday party.

What’s more, $2,000 of what the Bidens donated didn’t come out of their income at all – it was old stuff, including “exercise equipment,” “boots,” “kitchenware,” “furniture,” toys,” bicycles,” “clothing,” and even “pottery.”

That is, people who earned nearly $400,000 last year took the time to assess the value of their “pottery.”

According the the Bureau of Labor statistics, Americans in 2007 gave an average of 2.2 percent of their pre-tax income to charity. The lowest earning income group was the most generous, giving 4.3 percent of their earnings to those in need – more than double the donation rate of the vice president.

Last year, the Bidens did even worse, giving away just 1.4 percent of an adjustable gross income of $379,178.

But even this was more than they gave before he hit the big time politically.

In the decade before his nomination to be vice president, Biden and his wife donated about 0.2 percent of their income, averaging a measly $369 in annual donations.

But contrast, in 2012 the Obamas gave nearly a quarter of their adjusted gross income of $608,611 to charity.

The Bidens also are continuing to charge the Secret Service for use of a cottage on their property in Delaware, earning $26,400 in rent last year.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

I wonder how much of their income came from charging the Secret Service to stay on their property for protection. More than the $20,900.00 they charged in 2011?

Lizzy April 14, 2013 at 8:38 am

Yes aren’t the Biden’s beacons of generosity and giving. The amount you mentioned should be donated to charity I wonder where it falls in their tax income form. These people are a continuing embarrassment.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

I was about to give props to FCMABBHO and his wife for donating one-fourth of their income until I remembered her use of the Air Force as a personal taxi service.

anneinarkansas April 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Can you believe they counted donating their old clothes and pottery?
He must think his used underwear is desirable…Yikes!

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 10:26 am

I think they’re special snowflakes.

As Keith noted, these people spent time valuating the worth of their cast-off possessions. I wonder how much it’s all really worth.

DeniseVB April 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Our tax guy told us if we donate “bags of stuff” and claim it’s value to be outrageously high for junk, it could send up a red flag for an audit. In that case, we better have the original purchase receipts handy on all the items in that bag. So we stopped claiming our donated goods, just wasn’t worth the receipt keeping hassle.

Bonnie Cox April 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

We were told the same thing, so we simply donate to Goodwill where someone in need can use those things. What scumbags these two are. It may be a plan so that if good ol’ Joe runs, we will all feel like winners if Hillary is successful. God have mercy!

DeniseVB April 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Yes, so many worthy causes to donate too, makes me feel good too!

Star April 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

Why not go all out and have a big yard sale on the grounds of the Observatory? So tacky.

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

Well, it’s ironic you are from Arkansas. The Clintons actually donated his old underwear and claimed $6 on it right about the time he was ending his governorship and taking on the presidency.

Star April 14, 2013 at 11:43 am

So? Tacky for him, too.

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

Just reminding everyone, Star, not defending him.

Star April 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

No one is saying these people did anything illegal–just kinda ordinary and low rent.

AZ Granny April 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Remember when there was question about Clinton’s finances and it was found that as Gov he deducted $2 each for his old undies he donated?

AZ Granny April 14, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Sorry, Julie, I hadn’t read through all the comments when I posted the above.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

Duh. it’s in the last sentence.

Bitter Clinger April 14, 2013 at 8:20 am

Correction: The Biden’s aren’t charging the Secret Service, They are charging the American taxpayer.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 8:37 am

Same thing.

Has any other vice president done this before?

From what I’ve read, it’s not as if they rented this house to someone else before he became vice president, so they’re not losing income. I can almost see them charging for the electricity the agents use.

gracepmc April 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I am almost (but apparently not quite) reluctant to say this, but I do believe that this has been done by others when there was inadequate immediate housing for SS. I read it when this first came out about Biden charging the SS. Unfortunately I cannot cite anything.

That said, Joe Biden and his academic doctor wife will do anything to save a penny and squeeze the American people. On another level, I am deeply offended by the way Joe Biden, in his official position as VP, demeans and denigrate those American citizens who happen to disagree with this White House. He feels entitled to his bluster. I cannot wait for him to leave the stage.

Girly1 April 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

A few years ago there was a scandalous report circulating that Biden refused to pay the tuition at the private school his kids attended. I tried to dig up the story, but apparently it has been scrubbed. As I recall, it was a Catholic school. Biden reportedly told the nuns “You know who I am!!!” If it was anyone but Biden I wouldn’t believe it, but he is so tight, his shoes squeak!

Gloves Donahue April 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

Biden gleefully spends more than a million of taxpayers’ money on one night in Paris and a night in London.

His net worth is about $350,000. Why is that?

He lives rent-free in DC. What does he do with his money?
There’s a story there.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 9:16 am

I wonder if they gave more than $50.00 to the Wounded Warrior Project last year.

lc southern April 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

When my husband died February 1, 2013 in lieu of flowers we ask donations be made to The Wounded Warrior Project. While we were not even close to what you would call well off, we donated more to charity in cash (checks) than The Bidens or The Obamas per percentage of income.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

(((((lc southern)))))

It’s amazing that someone such as Biden, who has lived off the public teat since 1969, gives so very, very little to others.

Susan April 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

So sorry for your loss, lc southern. May God bless you and give you comfort my friend.

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Yes, Ic southern, I echo Susan’s words. Your loss has been so recent. I hope you are surrounded with love and support.

lc southern April 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Thank you all, I’m coping with support of friends and family.

ImNoDhimmi April 15, 2013 at 7:43 am

Positive thoughts coming your way, lc. Having been there myself, I can understand how devastating the loss of your spouse is.

srdem65 April 14, 2013 at 9:57 am

It’s hard to choose which is worse; SenReid of Nevada becomes a multi-millionaire by taking advantage of the insider knowlege and perks available to a US Senator, or VPBiden who was too stupid or incompetent to do the same.

Donating used or usable items to GoodWill Industries is a good thing, but the PR of the VPOTUS claiming a tax deduction for the items comes across as cheap and chintzy. Millions of people make donations to charitable organizations like GoodWill and the Salvation Army without asking for a receipt to lower their tax bill.

Susan April 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

Nowadays, most all politicians end up independently wealthy by the time they leave Congress, regardless how financially well off they were before entering government service. It is hard to choose which is worse – Dirty Harry or Lunch Bucket Joe. I’m picking Ol’ Joe. He started sucking off the government teat right out of law school and look at him now. Multimillion dollar mansion and who knows how much loot stashed away in secret bank accounts.

Speaking of insider knowledge. Did you hear how the crooks in Congress surreptitiously repealed part of the Stock Act on Friday? The measure was supposed to show how transparent our slimy legislators are, and that there isn’t any insider trading going on in the once upon a time hallowed halls of Congress.

RickW April 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

We now have proof they CAN reach bipartisan agreements……Its sickening

DeniseVB April 14, 2013 at 10:26 am

Do the Biden’s belong to a church (good Catholics that they are)? Isn’t donating 10% of your income the amount usually expected ?

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 10:32 am

I don’t know about this year, but last year he gave $1,000.00 to the Wilmington diocese.

gracepmc April 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I think that was the fee for allowing him to receive communion. I’m Catholic and I don’t mean to offend anyone but the church’s refusal to call out people like Biden, Pelosi is unacceptable to me.

Lizzy April 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I am Catholic and they have been called out but nothing ever
comes from it sadly. I’ve been in the hospital and missed
confession so when the lay person offered it to me in the
hospital I declined. Now I can guarantee you this person would not have given Communion to Biden, Pelosi and my
new favorite Sebelius. They would have gotten nothing I think
it’s more political in the Church hierarchy than just regular folks like me.

gracepmc April 14, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Yep, it is their local bishops I think. I dunno’ but it really does offend me. And yes, Sebellius too.

Get well soon.

C. Mitchell April 15, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Kathleen Sebellius was governor of Kansas, which is my home state, before she was summoned to Washington. Thank God she took the post but now the entire country is at her disposal.

RickW April 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

I wonder what value Joe Plugs’ accountant is going to assign to his recent donation of “Gun Handling and Personal Safety Training” on his 2013 return?

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Goose egg.

Star April 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

Those shotgun shells won’t buy themselves.

Star April 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

Biden knows people will hold him in disdain for these decisions and does not give a flip what people think—soooo, I am thinking he won’t be president. Thinking–and hoping.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

Maybe it’s valuable for its comic relief.

Otis Driftwood April 15, 2013 at 12:27 am

he gets those “special” Shotgun shells from DHS ;-)

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 11:20 am

Maybe DOCTOR Jill Biden donated some of her old medical equipment.

MichelleIndependent April 14, 2013 at 11:57 am

Hahaha “doctor” Jill. The fake doctor.
Outside of her profession of academia, it is pretentious of Jilly to insist upon the title “doctor.”
She wants to sound important. She has either a PhD or Educational Doctorate, both a far cry from a medical degree.

With all that money the Bidens hoard, you’d think Jill could shell out a few dollars for a few pair of nylons instead of showcasing her bare, scrawny old chicken kneecapped legs in those ridiculous platform peeptoe pumps she wears.

DeniseVB April 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I don’t call anyone a doctor unless they can write me a prescription :D

Langley Spook April 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

well said.
(but I do call someuniversity Profs. I respect “Dr.”)

justamom321 April 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I thought she was an MD? no?

Traveler767 April 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm

According to Wikipedia, Jill (call me Doctor) Biden holds an Ed.D. from the University of Delaware. She taught English in high schools and until 2008 worked as a writing instructor at Delaware Technical and Community College. Since 2009 she has been a Professor of English at Northern Virginia Community College.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Her old Roget’s Thesaurus?

Sadie April 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

SHNORRER !

Susan April 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thank you, Sadie. I learn so many new words from Keith’s fantastic blog. It’s actually an apropos term for all the DC grifters.

Shnorrer – Yiddish term meaning “beggar”; especially one who wheedles others into supplying his wants.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm

So that we don’t leave out FCMABBHO and Michell, what’s the plural?

Lizzy April 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

More to the point they knew this would become common knowledge at
tax time but they don’t seem to care or be the slightest bit humiliated.
Shows another side a very seedy side of the Biden’s golly doesn’t Dr Jill
make any money? Guess she’s joined the party train with MO & BO.
I don’t see how any of Obama’s uncharitable givers can look a Wounded
Warrior in the face.

aunty M April 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Help!!!! What does FCMABBHO stand for? I googled it and all
I got was WHD in the comment section, and no explanation.
Please enlighten me.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm

F*cking Commie, Muslim-Appeasing B*stard Barak Hussein Obama.

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Is this your invention? I was wondering too. I got the BHO and could image what the F was but got lost in between.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Yep, it’s mine. I came up with FCBBHO ages ago, and added the MA about 12-18 months ago.

aunty M April 14, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thank you, Mandy! That is a real mouthful.

WNY_ROC April 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I think everyone misses the point on the clothing donation – Biden is using every means possible to minimize his taxes. Even though the left wants to tax & spend, they find ways to minimize their own taxes and use government spending as their charitable giving.

Mandy Manners April 14, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Oh, I get it. From what I’ve gathered, Progs want to reduce –if not eliminate–private charity in favor of letting the government do it all. Money is power, and communists want total control.

gracepmc April 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Boy, am I slow. Nice pix of Dr. Jill as Santa — and charity. :)

Julie Brueckheimer April 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm

What’s that green thing on her head, a Grinch mask?

gracepmc April 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I believe it is –making it all the better!

Not Nabob the Knothead April 14, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Biden is bideing his time until he donates it all TO THE DEVIL.

mary April 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm

It is disgusting how Biden acts and shows such stupidity …He is like a spoiled child with no empathy .He and obama are the worst leaders we’ve ever had in the history of the US…How could our country ever choose such worthless liars? They are out to destroy our wonderful country ..and they are doing a good job of it…

vindex May 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm

He truly is unbelievable. My friend was secret service for him, and he told me that they couldn’t stand him.

make love May 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

That is a really good tip especially to those fresh
to the blogosphere. Brief but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!

certainly May 12, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m amazed, I have to say. It’s not every day you come upon a blog that’s this good on web 2.

0 site, and you’ve got it down wholly. This particular topic is an issue that not enough people are talking intelligently about. Now I’m very happy I found this during my search for things pertaining to this.

samsuno oprema May 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and
i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you
get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it,
any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.