Senate Bid Prep? Michelle Headed to Chicago, Again

by Keith Koffler on March 28, 2013, 7:56 am

First Lady Michelle Obama will make her third visit to Chicago of the year next month, something she did rarely during President Obama’s first term and a possible sign she is laying the groundwork for a 2016 Senate run in Illinois.

The April 10 appearance is of particular interest because it does not involve either of her pet projects – support for military families and kids’ health.

Will Michelle get into the race?

Will Michelle get into the race?

Instead, the first lady will speak at a youth violence event “to address local business and community leaders about providing more opportunities for young people to achieve their full potential,” according to the White House.

Like her previous appearance in Chicago February 27, Michelle will be attending a political event alongside Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Her earlier trip to Chicago was part of a nationwide blitz to promote her “Let’s Move” kids’ health initiative.

On February 9 she flew to Chicago to be on hand for the funeral of a girl who participated in President Obama’s Inauguration and was killed by gun violence days later.

Mrs. Obama has been generally raising her profile as of late, making appearances and doing various media events – including social media and TV – in Washington and around the country.

A 2016 race would be the perfect opportunity for the first lady. The sitting senator who would be up for reelection, Mark Kirk, is a Republican who is ailing and might not even choose to run again.

{ 1 trackback }

Langley Spook March 28, 2013 at 8:05 am

…Im going to sick…

not diggin it March 30, 2013 at 11:12 am

Me too!

Shofar March 28, 2013 at 8:13 am

What is with Democrat First Ladies? First Hillary, now Michelle? Is the taste of power and the limelight so intoxicating that they cannot let go of it when their husbands leave office?

Oh for the days when POTUS and the First Family retired to enjoy the solitude of private life and worked behind the scenes to help their fellow Americans.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 8:22 am

I thought Michelle was a mom first ? Both girls will still be in their teens in 2016, campaigning is certainly a time suck away from them. Of course MO sees herself in a luxury Georgetown home (a la Hillary), secret service guys still around to drive the kids to school, Barry off in Florida golfing 24/7. That’s her perfect life !!

Both the Clinton and Obama marriages seem to have a lot in common.

JP March 28, 2013 at 12:05 pm

But Denise, hubby will be able to be home in 2016 to take care of them. We would really miss not having one of their faces to look at constantly, so I guess she is preparing her ride to the top. My God!

mad as all get out March 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

think she’s shooting for the first female president who just happens to be black. that’s a feather in her cap. but maybe by then we’ll know all the dirty little secrets about both her and obama!!

Michael March 28, 2013 at 8:22 am

A 2016 race would be the perfect opportunity for the first lady…but not for the people of Illinois.

Just what we need; a rock star senator.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

No matter how we feel about Hillary Clinton, she was so much more accomplished in her adult life than Michelle ever was.

Junius March 28, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Keep guzzling that Clinton propaganda kool aid. Her only real accomplishments are commiting felonies, staying out of jail, getting wealthy from her crimes, playing a key role in turning the Middle East over to the radical muslims, and participating in the murder of our Ambassador and the murder of our brave Seals in Benghazi.

Some accomplishments.

Barbara Davis March 28, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Illinois, get OUT NOW and start working AGAINST her!!!! Don’t wait until the last minute.

Barbara Davis March 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Denise, go back and look what she and Bill did while they were in Arkansas. And, read carefully what Junius wrote. The Clintons and Obamas are BAD news all of the way around!

MichelleIndependent March 28, 2013 at 8:23 am

What a cow she is.

Marxist cow.

Kimbly March 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

Anybody find out where she is from now until April 10th?

Lizzy March 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

Spa for having her bangs sculpted.

Girly1 March 28, 2013 at 9:03 am

By the time 2016 rolls around the country is going to be in shambles as a result of her husband’s reign of terror. The only Obama posters will be those hanging on the Post Office walls. I doubt if she could be elected dog catcher in Chicago – what has she ever done to elevate the status of Blacks? All of the Pritzker and Crown $$$ will not help her one iota!

Michael March 28, 2013 at 9:21 am

Girly, I’m afraid that you are wrong. Here in Chicago, the people worship the ground that the Obamas walk on.

Michelle has used flawless marketing to remake her “angry black woman” image into this rock star personna.

Mark Kirk is a good senator, but he will be badly hobbled by recovering from a stroke a year ago. Whether he runs or Illinois Republicans find a replacement, Michelle would win easily.

God help us!

Girly1 March 28, 2013 at 9:32 am

Very depressing, Michael. Chicagoans probably don’t realize that she has ‘moved on up’. I recall her saying in an interview a year ago that they probably would not be moving back to Chicago after the WH…blaming it on the inclement weather. She avoided Chicago like the plague for the first 4 years….go figure!

Playrighter March 28, 2013 at 9:39 am

With all the bullets flying around the town she and Barack have done so much for, at least her slogan is right on target: “Let’s move!”

Michael March 28, 2013 at 10:05 am

If she doesn’t run for something, I’d bet that Chicago has seen the last of them both. It’s not nearly glamorous enough for them.

Hawaii is possible, but it’s too far away from the mainstream. I’d guess that they end up in S. Cal, where they can pal around with all of their high profile buddies.

Me? I’d like to see them go back to Kenya!

Girly1 March 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

I’m deathly afraid they’re going to move to my neck of the woods in SoCal. It’s the only thing that makes sense: great weather, golf courses, celebrities, haute cuisine, beaches….Oh dear G-od….please sent them to Kenya!

reader March 28, 2013 at 11:05 am

You really think he’ll step down in 2016? I’ll be shocked if there is another election. He’s got all of the executive orders in place to declare a State of Emergency and remain dictator for life.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 10:52 am

If they buy a house in Hawaii now to claim residency, she could run from there ? Obama would like that, golfing year round with his Hawaii buddies, while she lives in DC :D

Joel March 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Bammy not on same continent as me?! I like that idea!! Mooch wouldn’t be able to handle working for real. Let Illinois elect her Gov or something! Don’t saddle us with the Wookie!

Julie Brueckheimer March 28, 2013 at 11:23 am

My guess too. Hillary Clinton has the NY media market so the Obamas will go after the Hollywood/Los Angeles market. Hawaii will be a vacation home. Remember, Hillary WAS from Illinois but she chose to run for the Senate from NY. The Mooch would be from Illinois but run for CA. California is in the Obamas’ pockets.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 11:37 am

Maybe not by 2016 when Taxifornia runs out all those fat cat celeb friends. Even Bill Maher’s threatening…… ;)

jay hoenemeyer March 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

Why settle for Senator ? The Obama apparatus is alive and well , even thriving . Go the Eva Peron route and run for president . If Barry can get reelected on a platform of uniform and far reaching failure , why not elect Hope and Change one more time . Michelle in 2016 !

Otis Driftwood March 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

I thought it was called “No Hope of Change”

AZ Granny March 28, 2013 at 9:31 am

Oh my, and here I thought she would try for her own tv show since she loves being in front of the camera.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

Going the Hollywood route would certainly pay more. I don’t think they can manage to live on a President’s pension and a Senator’s paycheck if they have to start paying for their own travel :D

rulierose March 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I don’t think the Obamas are going to have to worry about travel expenses after they’ve (not a moment too soon) vacated the White House. former presidents tend to have lots of rich friends who invite them to stay at their ritzy houses in the Hamptons, Europe, Marin County, or Manhattan. as I recall, Reagan’s pals even bought him a house.

I don’t care where the Obamas travel, I just don’t want to have to pay for it.

QueenOfScott March 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

Rumor has it that Mooch is in the Bahamas with the Gurlzzz!

Girly1 March 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

So much for transparency! Barry’s been hanging around the house for the last few days – a dead giveway that the hatchet lady is out of town! Would love to be a fly on the wall at the Palace!

AZ Granny March 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

I thought the Washington Post reported she was in DC this past Sunday? I agree that seemed weird as much as she loves to travel.

gracepmc March 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Taxpayer funded planes that Mooch has at her disposal 24/7 fly both ways, whenever she wants. And don’t you be questioning her whereabouts or comings and goings my dear. This is the Mooch we are talking about — and she can do anything she wants whenever she wants.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 11:12 am

Not confirmed, but rumors fly when you don’t have transparency … why should the Obamas care anymore what we think of the expense and hypocrisy of pulling SS detail off WH tours? Of course made worse by saying it’s about security in the age of Twitter :D

Judicial Watch has already filed for the expense account for security assigned to them.

Mike Lester March 28, 2013 at 9:50 am

We’ve already got one Sheila Jackson Lee. Not sure we can survive two.

Girly1 March 28, 2013 at 9:58 am

Good one!

Lizzy March 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

‘Generally raising her profile as of late’? If she had a higher profile we’d have
Statues and murals of her everywhere besides 24/7 on TV her profile is big
enough especially in her head.

srdem65 March 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

She may indeed by contemplating a run for the US Senate from Illinois, but her main reason for going Chicago is to help MayorEmanuel out of a political tar pit as he tries to pull Chicago schools out of debt. The Black community has called him a “racist” for his efforts to close schools with declining attendance.

The second reason has nothing to do with “(Black) youth violence” but to help raise more money for the Mayor’s pet project; a goal was set of $50million dollars from local businesses that will be used to deter youth (Black) violence by providing counseling and job opportunities.
So far, the Mayor has managed to extort $25million from large corporations for his project.

The tea leaves are telling us that MrsO is heading towards a career in the entertainment business, ala Oprah, where she can try to form opinions and earn a ton of money.

CAR March 28, 2013 at 10:02 am

…and come and go and do as she plea$e$.

The Clintons and the Obamas disgust me. GO AWAY, ALL OF YOU!

Star March 28, 2013 at 11:20 am

I know–just give us one week off without your faces–Biden, Kerry, the president, his wife…one week.

Otis Driftwood March 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

we all know she’s not heading to Chicago to support Military families. I would say yes to srdem65, your # 2 reason is correct.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

Also isn’t that where OFA is based ? Could be a cover to go meet with them and set up a PAC for her. They certainly do keep fundraising to “help Obama save America” according to their desperate emails. We all know it’s to keep his campaign loyalists on the payroll for the perpetual campaign.

Is this group not being investigated ? I see where Michelle Bachmann is being investigated for misuse of campaign funds when an aide accidentally paid a bill from the wrong account. OFA is so much bigger and badder than that !

Otis Driftwood March 28, 2013 at 10:04 am

Unless something seriously happens btwn now and the 2016 elections you can bet MO will be a shoe in for congress seat. Would be very surprised if she would use Chicago as her base, we saw what Hillary did with NY. Maybe she could grab something in MD or NJ, especially NJ since BO and Christie are such good pals. Or maybe Hawaii, that would make BO’s retirement special.

If she is down in the Bahamas with the kids, they will all have to rush home for the “People’s House” Easter Egg roll. She will never waste a huge, free photo op.

Susan March 28, 2013 at 10:08 am

That photo gets me every time I see it – Mooch sack racing with her favorite court jester in front of the portrait of Washington. That portrait survived the looting and burning of the White House by the British during the War of 1812. Dolley Madison had the foresight to remove the portrait from its place in the state dining room and hide it as the enemy descended on the White House. I wonder what Mooch would save if she were in Dolley’s situation. It sure as heck wouldn’t be the Washington portrait. More than likely she would save her collection of sleeveless attire over a portrait of some old white guy. How far this country has fallen when such a shallow, selfish person like her could be considered as a representative of all the people. What a perverse reversal of MLK’s dream for his children.

DeniseVB March 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

MO loves the attention from celebrities who merely use her for PR. Do you suppose these would be her “friends” if she were still patient dumping in Chicago ?

ImNoDhimmi March 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Neither Mooch nor Barry have any respect whatsoever for the White House. She rolls and sweats all over the beautiful rugs, he puts his feet up on the priceless furniture. And I wouldn’t be surprised if that latest, disgraceful Beyonce video was filmed inside the White House. What do they care? Can you imagine what the place will look like when the two of them are finished decorating it?

Star March 28, 2013 at 11:16 am

Since this isn’t called Senate Dossier–we’d be rid of her antics sort of, right?

Star March 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

And you know what? This woman is not qualified to be a senator. She has lost the scowl (usually) and gained the PhotoShopped waist, but she is no policymaker, has no deeply felt causes, does not even have a law license anymore. She has name recognition–that’s it. I guess that’s all it takes–some claim to fame–zap, you can be a senator and help shape the country.

ImNoDhimmi March 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Well, if Barry can be elected President (twice!) anything is possible.

Star March 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Sadly.

Uncle Buckeye March 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm

So how much is her little campaign trip going to cost us? Better she should keep her fat butt in dc and tend to her wonderful garden!

MichelleIndependent March 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

From Weasle Zippers
Jackie O vs Tacky O

wait until you see this:

Susan March 28, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Class vs Crass

rulierose March 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I’m sorry, did I miss something? what in Michelle Antoinette’s background or training would qualify her for Congress? (other than the ability to spend loads of We The People’s money with wild abandon.)

btw, to the poster above who compared this to Hillary Clinton’s situation, I beg to differ: Hillary was a high-powered lawyer (and the breadwinner of the family) for years before Bill became president. Michelle, OTOH, had a make-work job at a hospital and was promoted only after her husband won a state Senate election. she truly is nothing without him, whereas Hillary is a smart and capable person all on her own.

OvertheOs March 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

MO hasn’t worked a full year in her life. She has occupied space, time, and media coverage. As a senator she would vote present as her husband did and talk out of both sides of her mouth as she does now. As a FLOTUS, she is a dismal failure. As a senator, she would be less.
Anyone giving her media attention should be forced to watch 6 hours of her in video and audio without a break.

SnarkEsq. March 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

My version of a nightmare:

Election Day 2016 concluding with Shrillary Rodham Clinton as our new POtuS and Moochelle Obama as the Senator from IL.

Heaven forbid that occurs, someone please kill me.

thatsitivehadenough April 2, 2013 at 6:35 am

Let’s make it a murder suicide. I’ll go with you.

thatsitivehadenough April 2, 2013 at 6:35 am

Further proof that the elites are absolutely certain the masses have been sufficiently dumbed down.

This piece of trash could go far in the Dumbocrat party.

arlington virtual office April 2, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I think this is among the most significant information for
me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

socal office space May 2, 2013 at 4:02 am

Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i
subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided
bright clear concept

virtual office maryland May 20, 2013 at 6:14 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I’m
assuming having a blog like yours would cost
a pretty penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% sure.
Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

lLZBlelUvThy June 26, 2013 at 6:56 am

198852 418429It is hard to locate knowledgeable folks on this subject, but you sound like you know what you are talking about! Thanks 33328

Hilda October 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

This take a trip industry is usually thriving using quite a few online web sites luring clients to help check out spectacular locales around the world. Going by means of air offers acquired acceptance as it saves moment and, if one particular obtains cheap atmosphere prices, next that surely is usually sugar about the meal! The belief that vacationers can certainly e-book affordable oxygen lotto tickets online possesses concluded in a great upsurge in the number of persons who want to take a trip by oxygen, thereby escalating other sellers amid different commercial airlines. http://www.ko98e.com

Ashly Escoto   October 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hello. Your blog is amazing my cousin was actually looking for this subject and I informed him that I would search for it on Bing and send him an email. I will do that right away. I will also place your url on my website which is at http://accidentlawyerlosangeles.wordpress.com