Obama Golfs With Tiger Woods; Press Erupts

by Keith Koffler on February 17, 2013, 9:37 pm

President Obama today played golf with Tiger Woods and caused an uproar in the White House press corps when a reporter who covers golf somehow got access to the round but the regular White House reporters did not.

Golf World/Golf Digest Senior Writer Tim Rosaforte was inside the Floridian, the golf resort where Obama is vacationing and playing, when Obama and Woods teed off. He broke the story by tweeting out his observations:

Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 9.19.11 PM

Well, lemme tell you, there’s nothing more aggrieved than a reporter who thinks someone else is getting delivered some story he ain’t getting. The White House press corps erupted.

From the press pool report:

Forwarding a statement from the White House Correspondents Association’s president Ed Henry, following today’s developments:

“Speaking on behalf of the White House Correspondents Association, I can say a broad cross section of our members from print, radio, online and TV have today expressed extreme frustration to me about having absolutely no access to the President of the United States this entire weekend. There is a very simple but important principle we will continue to fight for today and in the days ahead: transparency.”

The White House released its own statement, from Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest:

“The press access granted by the White House today is entirely consistent with the press access offered for previous presidential golf outings. It’s also consistent with the press access promised to the White House Press Corps prior to arrival in Florida on Friday evening.”

I have to say, I’m all about transparency and accountability. That’s why I do this website. But I’m not sure I get where the threat to The Republic resides in not having the press see Obama in the presence of Tiger Woods.

My suspicion is that the grave concern about “access to the President of the United States this entire weekend” began when someone else got the story, someone not a member of the White House press corps. There are plenty of weekends when no reporter gets access to the president, and the world remains firmly its access and nobody among the Fourth Estate complains.

From what I know right now, I’m siding with Josh Earnest on this one.

Today marks the fourth time Obama has played the fairways this year and the 115th time of his presidency.

soopermexican February 17, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Appreciate your fair and honest reporting on this….

Girly1 February 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Why Florida? It was kinda obvious that Obama would end up with a Tiger in his tank/golf cart this weekend..The WH press pool must have known something was afoot beginning with the bizarre trip to Chicago that culminated in the smuggling of Barry O’s old cronies onto AF1; the appearance of Tiger’s coach; and the fact that Tiger lives an hour away (Jupiter) from the Yacht and Golf club. Connecting the dots is not brain surgery.

Obama has been waiting four years for this moment, He had to distance himself from Tiger and the sex scandals until after he was reelected. Now that he is more ‘flexible’, he wasn’t about to waste this major event in his life on the WH press pool peons. They were kept waiting at the gates so that he could get a huge cover spread in next month’s Golf Digest. This was all pre-planned. The losers are the American taxpayers who are footing the bills for the narcissist.

DeniseVB February 18, 2013 at 8:30 am

I don’t think Tiger’s a fan of the media after his sexcapades which the press couldn’t get enough of. I don’t blame him for that.

I’m sure that was the condition of him playing with Prezzy. Unfortunately, Obama’s been planning this little vacay since he got back from Hawaii, you just don’t grab a tiger by the tail at the last minute, especially as the PGA season kicks off.

Sadie February 17, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Kvetching press. LOL

Quite a pair, the two of them Eldrick and “schmendrick”.

Shofar February 17, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Keith,
To a point I can see Henry’s gripe. The WHPC along with the rest of the MSM made Obama. Had it not been for the MSM in ’07 and ’08 HillBill would probably be POTUS. And had it not been for a majority of the WHPC going along to get along, Obama would probably have lost last year.

Henry and his group made this president, and now that he no longer needs them I predict that there will be even more slights to the press, especially the WHPC.

I would warn this administration that there is no fury like a lover scorned. While the romance has been flowers, candy, get-away-weekends to romantic places, and baubles to those that play nice, when the true face of Obama and his people starts to come unmasked, the WHPC and MSM will realize that they have been living with an abuser. Then, G-d help the WH.

Car in February 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

But let’s not forget – Obama’s not a very good golfer. Can’t have that reported.

Shofar February 18, 2013 at 10:14 am

U+1F44D

Shofar February 18, 2013 at 10:14 am

Ignore the previous – wrong site, sorry

Star February 18, 2013 at 10:45 am

If this is the same Ed Henry who is Fox’s chief correspondent, I would not say he “made” this president.

Shofar February 18, 2013 at 11:05 am

Henry may not be a part of the problem, but a majority of the PC is, and Henry is, for now, the pres. of the WHPA. Too many on the WHPC are afraid to ask the questions that need asking, or are in such agreement with this POTUS that they don’t want to seek the truth.

But then again, the majority of Americans don’t want to know what is going on. The low info voters could care less about how this government is dissolving the Republic. The press providing the truth to the American people? To paraphrase Col Nathan R. Jessup, USMC, they can’t handle the truth.

Star February 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

That Kirsten Powers woman on Fox has also made some astonishingly critical comments about the press’s sucking up…Overall, I agree the press paddles in the tank to a disgusting degree, but there are exceptions or exceptional moments.

Star February 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Having said that we here in Phoenix were treated to another paen to the Age of Obama and all it can mean to us in the paper this morning. Some professor, I think. They never seem to tire of this drivel. This is a human being, heaven knows who is backing his play, and his ideas will hurt a lot of people and weaken others in the fight for survival. He got less votes the second time as the first. Some eyes have opened. Many people are sort of dyspeptically worried or negative.

srdem65 February 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm

awww. They just wanted access to Tiger Woods so that they could get a quote like “It’s been an honor and privilege to golf with the President. However after 9 holes, I advised him to stick to minature golf.”

Now that would be a story.

Car in February 18, 2013 at 8:57 am

Ha ha ha… right. Bingo.

Playrighter February 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Hoops with LeBron, holes with Tiger…Maybe he can work on completing passes (and working his Smart Phone) with Brett Favre.

Darkangel February 18, 2013 at 12:14 am

Why should the media complain? Obeyme has thrown enough people under the bus that he’s run out of room underneath it and he has to look for a Metro train. (With eight cars.) What, did the useful idiots of the press somehow think Obeyme wouldn’t discard them when it suits his purpose?

Obeyme cares for Numero Uno, and not a damn soul else on the planet. So what if the media made this guy? He’s unaccountable now. The GOP could run the table in the Senate in 2014 and still not get to 66 votes. So Obeyme is free to do as he pleases for the next four years, because there’s now no feasible way to remove him from office.

Meaning we now have a chief executive with dictatorial ambitions who is completely beyond any and all account. God help us all, literally.

Memo to the media: You made your bed of roses, now go sleep in it. I hope you’re not on blood thinners.

Langley Spook February 18, 2013 at 8:02 am

amen.

Just2old February 18, 2013 at 7:09 am

The WHPC is a bunch of babies. You reap what you sow.

Bitter Clinger February 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

If the Knee Pad Media actually HAD access to The One, the question would be: ” How’s that backswing comin’ along? ” So let them whine and party on the Party Bus (a tool to keep them pacified like a bunch of third graders) There is nothing they can ask/report that would actually benefit the country. Just the low information voters who hang on Obama’s every word and action.

Langley Spook February 18, 2013 at 8:01 am

LMAO! the WH “press corps” upset about not having”access” to Obama.

cincycinco February 18, 2013 at 8:07 am

Let’s see…

First, he thinks because he likes Basketball he can play with the pros…

Then, because he likes Golf, he can play on Tiger Woods’ level…

Please, PLEASE let him next decide he likes boxing! Mike Tyson doesn’t have a lot else to do these days…

“…In this corner…weighing in
At a mere 165 pounds, the lighting rodent,
The fresh prince! (booing)

And in this corner…
The heavyweight champion of the world…
Iron mike tyson (cheering)

I came out hustling sliding and grabbing
Slippin’ and dippin’ hustlin’ and jabbin’
For a second I looked good out there
But then mike brought to reality my worst nightmare
One punch, that’s all it took (oooh)
He hit me in my ribs and my insides shook
Now how can I say this and be a little discreet
Let’s just say that my bowels released
I called timeout and went back to my corner
Said to my coach ‘ain’t no way I’m goin’
The hell back out there, man you can’t forget it’
My body’s like a punchin’ bag and mike is gonna (hit it)
They tried to make me go meet my doom
But I sucker punched my coach and hauled to my dressing room
The next day the headline in the town
‘fresh prince breaks camp, tyson wins first round’
Some fool asked why I ran away
I said ‘a good run is better than a bad stand anyday’
My career is over as far as fightin’
But I don’t know what made me think I can beat mike tyson …”

(excerpted from “I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson” by Will Smith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/w/will+smith/i+think+i+can+beat+mike+tyson_20146976.html)

Could you IMAGINE the bleeding if Iron Mike got ahold of THOSE ears?

PLEASE, PREZZY, YOU’RE GREAT AT BOXING! I think YOU could BEAT Mike Tyson…

GWShrub February 18, 2013 at 8:24 am

You didn’t list the fact that he thinks he can shoot skeet. Whatever happened to that challange to a shooting contest he had from Rep. Marsha Blackburn?

cincycinco February 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Man, he RULES at Skeet! ANY man who can hit aerial targets despite holding the shotgun dead level AND it having a breached barrel would DEFINITNELY win THAT contest!

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE SEAL TEAM 6 SNIPER BEHIND THE BUSHES! Obama IS the Great and Powerful Wizard of U.S….

DeniseVB February 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

Keith quoted in a UK Telegraph piece:

Gardiner agrees that these luxury vacay optics are not good for the President while he tells the citizens to make sacrifices.

timW February 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

Now that its his second term he does not give a rats ass how it looks. Its all about him and how he can fleece whitey for himself and his cronies. The surprising thing was that he did not care about the optics his first term with his ultra luxury trips that would have made the producers of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous blush.

I have to give him credit though as I would rather spend a weekend with Tiger (and the lovely ladies that come with that) than a weekend with Michelle.

CiscoKid February 18, 2013 at 8:32 am

The WHPC is going to continue the fight for transparency?
Boys, the fight, if there every was one is over, you lost, by TKO.
Now please return to the bus, take your seats and wait.

DeniseVB February 18, 2013 at 9:41 am

Where they concerned with transparency, say, about Benghazi ?

Car in February 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Glad to see that the White House press corp manages to be outraged about the important stuff.

DeniseVB February 18, 2013 at 9:30 am
Girly1 February 18, 2013 at 9:59 am

According to the article, Obama spent 8 hours with Coach Harmon on Sat. – 27 holes. On Sunday, Tiger left after 18 holes; Obama continued on to play 9 more holes. According to my math, that’s 16 hours of intense concentration. I think it’s safe to say he has never spent 16 hours of actual work in the Oval Office during his entire presidency. Worse yet, he doesn’t give a fig about his job!

DeniseVB February 18, 2013 at 11:10 am

Yep, I thought the same thing. I don’t think he’s spent a total of 8 hours with his Cabinet since his first coronation.

Star February 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

But Ed Henry usually IS outraged by the important stuff–he’s Fox.

Blondie February 18, 2013 at 8:59 am

Pity they weren’t so outraged when nobody had access to him during the Benghazi crisis. At this point , they are no better than paparazzi , just looking for a celebrity moment, not hardcore reporting.

Girly1 February 18, 2013 at 10:09 am

We need to hammer this fraud on Benghazi for the next 4 years! It should be the only word on his epitaph.

Susan February 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

Poor wittle sycophant press corpse got their feelings hurt? They have some nerve claiming they are fighting for transparency. Tell that to the families of Brian Terry, Jaime Zapata, Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Tyrone Woods – all those “less than optimal” speedbumps that got in the way of Preezy Revenge. Walter Duranty didn’t have anything on these so-called journalists.

Otis Driftwood February 18, 2013 at 10:44 am

we could start calling them sand traps vice speed bumps.

LW3333 February 18, 2013 at 10:42 am

They didn’t seem all that peeved when he refused to answer questions at how many pressers? Or about Benghazi!

dunce February 18, 2013 at 11:08 am

There is no news there, there is no story there, there is no world leader there. The least obama could have done is let them snort his dirty underwear.

lucy lee February 18, 2013 at 11:40 am

where’s the pictures of obama and reggie love on the 19th hole?

owen_kellogg February 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

If these disaffected members of the White House press ‘corpse’ feel they have nothing to do, they could always do an investigative story on why Obama is hanging out with a racist like Jim Crane to begin with.

Susan February 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

White guilt. Wouldn’t doubt ol’ Jimbo played the role of Preezy Revenge’s step and fetch it during the “boys’ weekend” in Florida.

Sharon Rondeau February 18, 2013 at 2:51 pm

It is the job of a free press to report on what the nation’s elected leaders are doing every day. By allowing one reporter access but not those whose responsibility it is to cover Obama is another abuse of the Obama regime. They pick and choose who will cover them so that they will always appear in a positive light. That is not “transparency.”

Radegunda February 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm

“But I’m not sure I get where the threat to The Republic resides in not having the press see Obama in the presence of Tiger Woods.”

— but … but … it’s a “historic day”! For golf. (Not clear why it’s historic, but I’ll take Rosaforte’s word for it.”

gracepmc February 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Only Tiger and Barrack would assume that playing golf together transfers status or respectability to one another.

And only the WH press corps thinks they themselves perform any function beyond filling a seat.

What a crew – Tiger and Barack the official seat warmers.

adiphene reviews May 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm

This basically suggests that you will be able to eat anything that you want without the worry of gaining weight.
Adiphene is a fats burner slimming capsules that been produced from 12 substances.
Adiphene are being marketed as safe weight-loss drugs and going
by the numbers so far, have turn into extremely popular.

lose fat May 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm

You wont find Adiphene in your native pharmacy or
some huge store like Walmart or Walgreens. Individuals who have
underlying medical condition should also consult a physician before
taking this diet pill. There is a section to discuss the biggest loser show, specific diets,
and much more.

google June 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Google has been working hard to give the user
more chart options, as well as better looking charts. In your Ad – Words campaigns you must wisely find high profitable keywords, the
“buyer kind” of keywords. Once your site has been verified
Google will regularly check if the verification is still valid.