Obama Puts Out Terse Statement on Pope’s Resignation

by Keith Koffler on February 12, 2013, 9:14 am

President Obama Monday offered up a brief and restrained statement on the retirement of Pope Benedict XVI, mentioning none of the Pontiff’s accomplishments and referring to himself as often as the Holy Father.

Here’s the entire statement.

On behalf of Americans everywhere, Michelle and I wish to extend our appreciation and prayers to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. Michelle and I warmly remember our meeting with the Holy Father in 2009, and I have appreciated our work together over these last four years.   The Church plays a critical role in the United States and the world, and I wish the best to those who will soon gather to choose His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI’s successor.

The pope is widely viewed among Obama’s liberal base as a “reactionary” Pontiff – as the Washington Post put it - who has opposed “progressive” notions such as allowing women to be priests, accepting gay rights, and permitting radical “liberation theology” that has been particularly prevalent in Latin America.

Benedict has also taken a far more confrontational approach toward Islam than Obama is comfortable with, questioning core tenets of Islamic theology.

And of course Obama’s pro-abortion stance differs starkly from that of the Vatican. What’s more, the president has clashed with the church on issues of religious freedom, seeking to force Catholic institutions to pay for birth control under Obamacare.

Late last year, after his reelection, the Vatican implored Obama to ensure a “culture of life and religious freedom.”

By notable contrast, Obama only an hour before his statement of the Pope had issued a statement twice the size offering stirring praise for his relatively – when compared to the Pope – insignificant Small Business Administration Administrator Karen Mills, who is departing.

Note the contrast in tone. The statement has been pared down.

I want to thank Administrator Mills for her outstanding work on behalf of America’s small business owners and entrepreneurs.  I asked Karen to lead the Small Business Administration because I knew she had the skills and experience to help America’s small businesses recover from the worst economic crisis in generations – and that’s exactly what she’s done . . . Because of Karen’s hard work and dedication, our small businesses are better positioned to create jobs and our entire economy is stronger. I want to thank Karen and am grateful for her service.

Obama met with the Pope at the Vatican in July 2009.

The Business February 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

interesting contrast….thanks.

Misscheryl February 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

barry opposes Christianity and Christians for many reasons. One reason being – he isn’t one. What can you say? I’m not surprised by his reaction. I’m sure he believes somehow that the universe working in his favor again.

Gringo February 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

Obozo is mad that the Vatican didn’t automatically name him the new Pope, in keeping with him being The Chosen One.

srdem65 February 12, 2013 at 10:03 am

Interesting. We are all aware of MrO’s use of “I, My” in his speeches and that’s what makes some of us believe that he’s not one of us, that his American-ness isn’t real. He seems to have a very twisted view of who and what the POTUS really is in the political arena.

He talks about the military fighting for “him”, thankis government employees for doing what “he” asked, and in all of the statements of condolence or praise, it’s either “I”, or “Michelle and I” instead of the usual “people of America” or “all Americans”.
We notice things like that from our elected officials.

Gayle Putt February 12, 2013 at 10:18 am

I have often wondered about his “American-ness” and I agree that his has a very twisted view of what his job is and how he should be doing it.

Susan February 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

So true, srdem. I’m not Catholic but have great respect for the Pope. He is a man of God, who doesn’t think he is god like the current WH resident.

Misscheryl February 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

barry thinks he’s equal to God and I have no doubt that somehow he’ll think that the decision the Pope made is all about him.

RT February 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Yes. Indeed. Coupled with a leap of faith, these random observations make for interesting reading.

Julie Brueckheimer February 12, 2013 at 10:07 am

What work together? If there had been work together, he should have enumerated it, but he can’t. I’m sure the Pontiff was greatly influenced by the Second Coming, not.

Gayle Putt February 12, 2013 at 10:16 am

I”m tired of Obama inserting himself into everything, I did this, I did that. I can’t wait until we can offer up a farewell to Obama… “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out”.

stefie February 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm

It’s always about him. When he gave the Medal of Honor yesterday, in true narcissistic form, and like Billy Clinton, he talked more about himself than the recipient. Appalling.

William February 12, 2013 at 10:18 am

Unsurprising. Pres. Obama is aware that the Catholic Church holds the Pope to be God’s primary spokesman on earth, and yet Pope Benedict has never once asked Pres. Obama what he wants the Pope to say.

owen_kellogg February 12, 2013 at 10:21 am

. . . . . I . . . . . . . I . . . . . . . . I . . . . . . . . I . . . . .

Three sentences. Four references to himself.

AZ Granny February 12, 2013 at 11:02 am

It’s always about the “O”.

Jojo February 12, 2013 at 10:22 am

The Pope opposed him. Nuff said.

cincycinco February 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Guess someone pointed out the Popemobile wasn’t built to withstand drone strikes…

movedtothefarm February 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

Bo and Mo are such a farce. Really? working together? ha

RT February 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

Odd. ‘Nuff said.

Star February 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

I almost thought Obama would nominate himself for pope–but I guess you’re right, the abortion thing would preclude that. If he starts dropping by Catholic Mass, though, I will be wary.

Misscheryl February 12, 2013 at 11:10 am

Why settle for being Pope when your God?

AZ Granny February 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

That man does not speak on my behalf. His statement is very forced and shows no warmth toward the Pope at all.

stefie February 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm

You all don’t really think he wrote this do you?

ImNoDhimmi February 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm

It doesn’t matter who wrote it, Barry spoke it.

gracepmc February 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am Catholic and obama is probably trying to figure out how to get Pelosi and Sebellius over to the Vatican to lobby for Biden as the first American pope. Last night the teaser on my local CBS news said that the pope was resigning as head of the “stagnant” Catholic Church. This am the exec producer and I had a discussion about that. The media and the administration would prefer a more liberal pope. I am waiting for one who will call out the poseurs like pelosi-sebellius-biden gang.

cincycinco February 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm

The Pope is not a Muslim, therefore of no importance to Obama. He already dealt with the Catholic Church with an Obamacare / divide Catholic women from their faith strategy that, truth be told, worked pretty well!

No need to worry about that doddering old guy at the Vatican, whoever he may be. He’ll just keep pointing out how whatever pope, being male and White and Christian, hates gays and women and probably minorities as well,, and everyone will love Obama and hate him…

Corey February 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I guess if you don’t appear to be a “man” of faith, then something this significant probably wouldn’t make much difference to you. Especially if your core beliefs go against everything faith stands for…

stefie February 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Corey, nail hits head. Great post!

D.V. February 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Obama does not understand the difference between temporal and eternal.

cincycinco February 12, 2013 at 2:59 pm

He understands it as well as he understands duty, and honor, free markets, and American exceptionalism…

RT February 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

DV – Check the embedded secret code within our President’s message. No decoder ring required. The truth will set you free. :)

Martha Trowbridge February 13, 2013 at 9:58 am

At that meeting, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI put Rosary Beads in the hands of each of the delegation, including the hands of a.k.a. “Barack Hussein Obama II”. I’ve often wondered what became of those blessed Rosary Beads.

jordan sneakers June 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm

hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the site many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again soon..