Obama Claims He’s Getting More Humble

by Keith Koffler on February 8, 2013, 2:42 pm

President Obama told House Democrats at their retreat in Leesburg, Virginia Thursday that the job of the presidency has made him shed some of his famous ego.

From this remarks:

The fascinating thing about this job is the longer you’re in it, the more humble you get, and the more you recognize your own imperfections. And you try to make up with effort and hard work those gaps in your personality or your intelligence that become so apparent to everybody on the daily news every day. (Laughter.)

Well, that would be nice. It might mean he would start imagining that conservatives actually have legitimate ideas of their own and aren’t just trying to score political points against . . . The One.

Of course, that wasn’t exactly the theme of his Inauguration speech, which boiled down to “My way or the highway because the Founders wanted it my way.”

And let’s, for a moment, look at how the president phrased this. He said, in essence, the “fascinating thing” about the job of being president is . . . me. How it has affected me.

Seems like there might be other equally or even potentially more fascinating things about the presidency.

I feel much more humble these days. But enough about me. Photo by Keith Koffler

But, hey, why should I be such a jerk? If Obama says he is getting more modest, let’s take him at his word. It would be a good thing for him and the country.

I’m not rooting for Obama to fail. Four years of failure and unadorned liberalism could be too much for the country to take. If Obama’s humility mitigates his normal proclivity to try to slam lefty things down the throats of righties, then all the better.

It’s just, when you’re entering your fifth year of speaking to fawning crowds and listening to adoring advisers, I’m a little skeptical that an increase in humility is in the cards.

A few days ago, following Obama at the podium, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney found that Obama had left his glass of water at the podium. Instead of having it removed, he left it, mentioning something about its potentially empowering effects.

I know he was joking. But it’s not a joke any of the Clinton or Bush press secretaries would have made. Because it just wasn’t the culture in those White Houses to be quite so impressed with the boss.

lc southern February 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Yeah right.

RT February 8, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Not sure what to take from this piece…

Is our President insincere in his remarks – merely advancing his sinister tyrannical motives (you know, to break our country…)?

Or, perhaps, is our President being sincere but still merely pandering to his adoring knaves while the MSM consults with descendants from the Nazi Propaganda Machine?

Or perhaps, maybe our President is actually clueless with regard to his inner feelings, thus manifesting itself in behavior that can only be found in thick-browed sociopaths?

I get it. Dissing our President in a parody piece regarding the use of a personal pronoun to describe “himself” while in a “reflective” moment provides opportunity. And, you know, opportunity is often missed because it is walking around in overalls and looking like hard work (paraphrasing Edison Quote). So it is here.

Interesting if not a bit funny? Yes! Not having to see it linked to Benghazi and Hitler, pricelessly refreshing.

Today, my glass of water is half full…

~ RT

Julie Brueckheimer February 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Does this mean no more Mussolini posture: stiff back, neck and head in the air, mouth drawn down at the corners?

I noticed how he tried to do an end run around the use of I-me-mmy-myself in the second paragraph, using the second person instead, but one can easily put all the first person singulars back and know that he is still talking about Numero Uno.

RT February 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Julie – Good points.

(a) Mussolini did get stiffer and stiffer as I recall from the pictures… Wonder if there is a correlation there. Lincoln and Teddy and all… ;)

(b) The English language is so fun. We may want to look out if the current or any future sitting president starts referring to themselves in the third person… Just sayin’…

Peace Out!

~ RT

Julie Brueckheimer February 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I expect Obama’s next step would be first person plural, the royal we.

RT February 9, 2013 at 12:38 am

Good one!

TeaParty Patriot (TPP) February 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm

IF ever there was a man who should be modest it is the owebomb. He has so much to be modest about. .

Freedom4US February 11, 2013 at 4:17 am

In the next four years your cup will be drained dry.

rt February 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Not so, Freedom. I replenish my cup at will. I can teach you how. Email me. Costs $29.95 and comes with a starter kit.

Peace Out!

~ RT

Star February 8, 2013 at 3:25 pm

It’s always all about him. We know that. Let’s not take him at his word that he is now more humble. It’s egotistical to think you are humble or even humbler. It’s almost as if you have insight, second thoughts–sure. Wouldn’t four years of failure mean we would NOT get unadorned liberalism?

RickB_GA February 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I have never met a truly humble person who found it necessary to proclaim himself humble.

Ricky Spoon February 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm

You are 100% right !!!!!!!!!!

Sara B February 8, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You should have grabbed that glass of water for the DNA! ;)

ImNoDhimmi February 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Barry’s water could be “empowering”? It’s amazing what Obamabots believe. Or is it?

After all, muslims believe “The entire body of the Prophet, whether exposed or hidden, is pure, and there is nothing in it– including his secretions – that [can] repulse anyone. His sweat smelled better than perfume. Umm Haram would collect this sweat and distribute it to the people of Al-Madina.“
“The second Muhammad spat, one of them would immediately hasten [to grab his saliva] and smear it upon his face. Drinking the urine of the Prophet Muhammad was deemed a blessing.”

srdem65 February 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Perhaps, as he looks out to the horizon from the deck of the Obama, he sees turbulence that could sink his mighty ship and is looking to those he previously ignored to keep it all afloat.

Oh, please. The great, historic President who ignored his fellow Dems for four years comes forward with his head bowed, hat in hand and admits he’s been a jerk, and not a very good one. His legacy that he hoped would put his profile on a mountainside, has turned into a leaden economy, higher taxes, disasterous foreign policy, and realization he wouldn’t invite the people who support him to dinner. The community of foreign leaders ignore him and give him (and us) no respect or never ask his opinion.
His signature Obamacare is a terrible morass of regulations, taxes, and little healthcare. He wanted a grand gun grab, he thought he had the perfect storm to get it done, but his own party shied away from his plan.
Sequestration was supposed to be a hammer to the Repub’s heads to give up more taxes, but the Repubs will use it to cut spending.

He’s not a good politician, he’s not a leader, he’s aloof, condescending, insulting, and a mean, little man.

Langley Spook February 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

amen.

Otis Driftwood February 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm

more like an iceberg..

Girly1 February 8, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Well said, srdem! He deserves to go down with the ship, along with the LSM who kept him afloat all these years.

mdrod1 February 10, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Bravo srdem65!!! Thank god there are people who see through this scumbag!!! Obama is the perfect sign that our country is going down the ghetto toilet!!!!!!

Jeff February 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Jay took the glass home its now on display in his lighted curio cabinet next to his honorary membership to the Muslim Brotherhood, and souvenir remains from the Embassy annex in Benghazi.. He needs to remember, when a dictator is overthrown, they always arrest the propaganda agent

Julie Brueckheimer February 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

May be this is a harbinger of his SOTU speech, and the big, bad Republicans will be picking on this nice, humble man.

creeper February 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Any time someone interrupts himself to stress that he’s “telling the truth” you can bet your hat and @ss he’s lying through his teeth.

Girly1 February 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Exactly, Creeper! He wants the attendees to believe him on this one – he is humbled and grateful for the morons who voted for him; but intimates that ‘truthiness’ is not one of his strong points. The ‘truth’ is,,.he will go down in history as the biggest liar/hypocrite in modern history.

Corey February 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

That’s laughable! Perhaps Barry should try the comedy circuit after his term is over.

RT February 8, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Corey – Hah! Nice! He’ll probably hold out for the speech circuit where he can be reflective, self-adsorbing, and sage-like, and earn millions…

That is how it is done – if I can use that phrase…

veritaseequitas February 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

That’s strange, the patient is showing absolutely no signs of humility. It must be a misdiagnosis.

Not Nabob February 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Bah Humbug! Humble HaHa.. What a nut that President.

Anne Lieberman February 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm

There are shrinks all over the news, talking about the suspected LAPD officer gone rogue murderer in Calif. As I hear them describe “narcissistic wounding, ” I worry….

Rexbob February 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

“I was telling the truth”
So, he usually lies?

Langley Spook February 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

didnt Mao say ‘…its not about me…’ during the Cultural Revolution?

RT February 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Opening line from a “Purpose Driven Life”, by Rick Warren. Great book and a game changed for millions.

Danceswithtruth February 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

The fact that he has to tell everyone he’s humble…..hmmmmmmm…..now, what’s that line again?

sablegsd February 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Could have gotten DNA from it and started trying to match it to alleged family members, IE obamas in kenya, any surviving dunhams, davis’s, malcolm x’s.

Boo February 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

If he’s becoming more humble, I’m getting younger. I vote for Narcisstic Personality Disorder.

Larry I Am February 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm

psychopath

MichelleIndependent February 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Obama is a horse’s tail.

FLDemFem February 8, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Please don’t insult horses. Obama is what comes out under a horse’s tail.

Guillermo Grande February 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

“Welll bless his heart!”

Bear February 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Humble… Yeah. Him and Mac Davis.

qestout February 9, 2013 at 2:30 am

“Four years of failure and unadorned liberalism could be too much for the country to take.” You mean “four MORE years” right?

Shofar February 9, 2013 at 7:16 am

” And I said at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning — and I was telling the truth — I genuinely am humbled.” That is why during the Prayer Breakfast he used “I”, “me”, and “myself” approx. 48 times in the ten or 15 minutes he spoke.

Humility is not something that the truly humble man has to claim, it is something that is evidenced by his actions. True humility will be evident when he no longer claims responsibility for the successes of others, and willingly take the blame for the failures of others. A truly humble leader shares the accolades, refraining from basking in the glory but rather giving the credit to others. A truly humble leader takes responsibility for the failures that occur under his leadership, willing to take the barbs and jabs of his critics without becoming hostile, hateful, or dismissive.

Obama has shown none of these characteristics of humble leadership.

AFVet February 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

Maybe he’s going the sympathy route as the Benghazi investigation creeps ever closer to his dererliction of duty.

louis February 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

more humble compared to who……….. mussolini? Did you ever look at Mussolini’s picture next to Obama’s picture? I am just not seein it, and I am definitely not feelin it.

Ollie Burgin February 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

More humble ??? What about less delisiounal ?

Doula February 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm

A leopard doesn’t change it’s spots!

norman February 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm

he is so full of his own BS what a jerk of stupidity

SpiderMike February 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Das Führer Obama is not becoming more humble, he is becoming more transparent even to his supporters. His mask has slipped and the ugliness has been revealed to all but the willfully blind. His words mean nothing. To paraphrase an old “B” western, “White man speak with forked tongue”. Every time Obama signals a position with “words”, his actions are the complete opposite. How much longer must we endure this evil occupant of our White House? Pray Psalms 109:8

Joanne Mortensen February 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Humble is not in Obamas vocabulary ..who is he trying to blind side this time ..”We the People” see him as he is .. it “ain’t” a pretty sight ..
Is any one still foolish enough to believe his lies ?..

David Aanerud February 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wonderful statement from the one who said,”Do not believe everything you hear”.

How does humility overcome arrogance?

Sharon Lauer February 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Mac Davis has the perfect song for this guy: “Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble, when you’re perfect in every way.” Some of the lyrics:
Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble
When you’re perfect in every way.
I can’t wait to look in the mirror

‘cos I get better looking each day
To know me is to love me

I must be a hell of a man.
O Lord it’s hard to be humble
But I’m doing the best that I can.

Listen to the songwriter performing this song with–The Muppets at http://www.elyrics.net/read/m/mac-davis-lyrics/oh-lord-it_s-hard-to-be-humble-lyrics.html

limbchicken February 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm

As Winston Churchill once said of his successor “He has much to be humble about”.

Tod February 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Oh please, then wake us all up from your bad dream- psychopath.

gail February 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I subscribe to Minute Men News and although I like to be kept informed I feel that the articles about Obama are beginning to turn me off. I feel that more times than not these days the words of the President are twisted and turned and that the writers are really reaching to twist and turn the meaning of every little word that is said. I feel that the writing is becoming too extremely biased and merely a repetitive attack. It is getting very old. If there is nothing else to write about, please don’t write. I am considering terminating my subscription as the constant negative reading is a real bummer. There never seems to be anything positive about what the conservative arm is doing on a proactive basis. Surely there are things that are happening that are positive so as to give the readers something hopeful to read about the conservative movement. I wish that you would consider why there are not more “like” comments at the end of these type of articles. They are petty and empty. People can draw there own conclusions. It is feeling more and more like propaganda.

SAULS February 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Gail-Propaganda may be a way of presenting one side but what difference does it make if that one side is the truth and it came from the person in question himself (Obama).

phunyfarm February 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

If he were becoming more humble, we MIGHT notice it, for him to proclaim from those perpetually lying lips that such humility IS the case only serves to disprove itself. Moron!

Luis February 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm

There can be no question that Obama´s ego is a big part of the problem, meaning that it is bad enough that he is a foaming at the mouth lib/lefty, but his ego makes him ruthless in promoting his agenda of controling each and every one of us to the etreme degree.

I WILL REPEAT WHAT I SAID LAST YEAR BEFORE THE ELECTION, “When Obama leaves the presidency, and he ABSOLUTLEY WILL leave the presidency, we resilient Americans will disinfect the White House, undo the problems that Obama has caused, and carry on, returning to the relative prosperity that the US Constitution promotes. Pray, my friends, that Obama leaving the presidency is sooner rather than later. [COME AND GET ME JANET NAPOLITANO, MAXINE WATERS, AND ERIC HOLDER]

TeaParty Patriot (TPP) February 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Sallymae February 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

BAHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edward Cox February 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I am so humble I am humbled. And I know I would not be humbled if I were not President. So I…..

Mary February 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm

We all know that Obama never tells the truth, would not know the truth if it hit him square on that haughty chin of his. Pitiful!

Chuck Wood February 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Methinks Obama Doth Protest Too Much…….on being humble
“I’m deeply grateful to have been reelected, and I’m humbled by the support that I received from all across the country. (Applause.) And I said at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning — and I was telling the truth — I genuinely am humbled.”
These were Barack Obama’s words later in the day of this year’s National Prayer Breakfast.
Another lie?
In my opinion, Barack Obama is not now nor has he ever been humble.
His Mussolini chin up-jut and his demeaning glare say pride, not humility.
If he were truly humble, he would never insist, as in the quote above, that he was “telling the truth.”
When I watched and listened to the President’s comments, live at the National Prayer Breakfast, I saw and heard pride, but little humility.
When he spoke of humility, he was addressing political opponents who he expects to be humble in his presence, toward his policies, and in his honor.
When he speaks of compromise, he expects others to do his bidding, to come over to his side, which he believes is the only side. Is this the humility God commands of his people in the Holy Bible?
When Obama says he is a Christian, and tells us he is becoming more humble, what are we to believe?
I believe Barack Obama is not becoming humble, I don’t believe he ever was and is not now and is not becoming humble. What I see is more arrogance, more self-absorption, more self pride.
In The Holy Bible (NIV), the word humble appears in 77 verses. In James, Chapter 5, we are told:
God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
While I heard the President say, at the National Prayer Breakfast., that he often reads Scriptures in search of humility. I kept asking myself which of the 77 verses that mention being humble did he read, study, understand, and observe.
If Barack Obama does not humble himself at a prayer breakfast for the nation, how does he humble himself to the Lord?
Perhaps the President should pray to God for wisdom…and humility.
For it is written, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Charles Andrew Wood

Not Nabob February 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Isn’t pride a sin and humility a virtue? Just asking.

Ray Parker February 10, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Horsesh-t!!!

JJ Johnson-Smith February 10, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Humble my A_S! This is the most arrogant SOB that ever lived. I wonder who “suggested” he make this statement and just WHO they think will fall for it.

Insanely February 11, 2013 at 12:05 am

Why would he feel the need to interject, “and I’m telling the truth”?

azjen February 11, 2013 at 1:45 am

I would tend to think that the Emperor has no clothes. It’s very hard to look at this person as “humble”.

Misscheryl February 11, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh pashaw!

Doug February 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

What an arrogant, narcissistic, deceitful piece of dog crap! Obozo is destroying the USA.

Robert Devin February 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

From Wikipedia: “True humility” is distinctly different from “false humility” which consists of deprecating one’s own sanctity, gifts, talents, and accomplishments for the sake of receiving praise or adulation from others, as personified by the fictional character Uriah Heep created by Charles Dickens. In this context legitimate humility comprises the following behaviors and attitudes:

Submitting to God and legitimate authority
Recognizing virtues and talents that others possess, particularly those that surpass one’s own, and giving due honor and, when required, obedience
Recognizing the limits of one’s talents, ability, or authority; and, not reaching for what is beyond one’s grasp”