Seven Million to be Thrown Off Employer Health Plans

by Keith Koffler on February 6, 2013, 1:13 pm

Remember when Obama promised that under his health scheme you could keep your health insurance and your doctor?

Well forget it. You can’t necessarily keep your insurance or your doctor. Period.

The Congressional Budget Office now says that, because of Obamacare, 7 million people will lose their employer-provided health insurance and have to go get coverage on their own.

Obama wasn’t just wrong. He was wrong by 7 million people.

This isn’t just some flukey thing that popped up. It’s intrinsic to the health care law: employers can either keep offering insurance or take a penalty and dump their employees into the individual market.

And yet Obama repeated this claim again and again as he tried to sell Obamacare to the public. Unless he didn’t understand his own proposal, he almost certainly had to know it was false.

Asked about the discrepancy today between Obama’s words and deeds, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney understandably immediately changed the subject. Because, Carney is paid enough to defend the indefensible, but he’d probably ask for a raise before agreeing to defend the completely indefensible.

{ 1 trackback }

Just2old February 6, 2013 at 1:21 pm

The only thing obama knew about the law was what he was told. His talking points were probably prepared by ValJar and were meant to appease people’s fear about the bill without really knowing what’s in it. Great piece of work Mr. Preezy! The greatest healthcare system in the world will probably never recover from this.

RickW February 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Axelrod: “Well, its obvious to me Keith that SOMEONE has manipulated that video, twisting what the President said that day using some technology tool. These skeeter types will stop at nothing….etc etc”

Chas February 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Someone in Congress, please start the impeachment process. Pretty please!

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I Pray that every night…

Stevie February 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm

It’s been started in The House several times. Trouble is, it has to get by John Boner…Obama’s BFF.

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm

…and I keep praying for the end of John Boner

(Then, maybe the “US House” could do something to thwart Dear Leader Obama…)

cincycinco February 7, 2013 at 8:46 am

“Trouble is, it has to get by John Boner…” – Stevie

And THEN, it has to get past Harry Reid. THAT should happen about the same time the Titanic makes port…

Michael February 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Despite the fact that it’s ruining our country, I’m not sure that pure incompetence and arrogance are impeachable offenses.

Maybe they should be.

cincycinco February 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

Obama owns the Senate and at least 5 Supreme Court justices, including the chief justice. Because of this, he is no longer subject to rule of law, so it doesn’t really matter if its impeachable or not; there is no legal authority in this country that is willing to stop him.

And a large number of American citizens think that’s OK, as long as he keeps ladling out private property that he stole from other citizens to them. Others have an interest that begins and ends with what color he is. As long as his observable racial characteristics do not change, they will be OK with whatever course he chooses, and anyone who says otherwise is a racist.

And leave us not forget that he makes the International community very happy. Not that this is necessarily a good thing. Teenagers may be happy if Mom goes out for a few hours and leaves the liquor cabinet unlocked. A strong America is not appealing to our erstwhile “freinds” around the globe, as it could impair their own dreams of domination and war. Obama ensures that there isn’t one.

KJ February 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

What’s really sad about all of this is the lack of outrage, accountability, etc. from the public. They were lied to – end of story.

What’s extra sad is that news about this is slim (just checked cnn.com and it wasn’t displayed anywhere…but the NRA enemies list is everyone in America story/commentary is there…) and it affects everyone.

Danceswithtruth February 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm

What’s really sad, is that for so many in this country they are more concerned about who is going to be picked on the Bachelor, who will be the winner on American Idol, who will win the amazing race, what’s happening on 16 and Pregnant, etc. etc. etc.

For so many of those in this country they are not invested in these types of issues. When you don’t have to worry about co-pays, balances after insurance payments, increasing premiums, etc. it’s easy to shrug it off. When there are so many who just whip out their EBT card for their grocery purchases without having to worry about staying within budget, clipping coupons, searching the sales, etc. what more do you expect. Everything will be ok tomorrow because someone else is providing. They don’t have to make any hard decisions, or hard sacrifices (most anyway). They are truly baffled at what all the fuss is about.

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

This is why the USA needs “Voter IQ” Laws.

If you are too stupid-clueless-careless to pass a basic ‘US Civics/current events’ test (high school level) then you should NOT be allowed to “Vote”.

Does that make sense?

cincycinco February 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

What happens if we have a “Voter IQ test”, as you suggest – but Nancy Pelosi writes the questions?

“5. In your own words, please describe why you love Obama.”

“27. Obama is;
a) A great leader
b) A genius
c) Smarter, kinder, and just better than everyone else
d) All of the above”

“42. Will you give total authority over yourself and your family to
the State?
a) Yes
b) No”

(TRAP QUESTION! IMMEDIATE FAIL IF YOU ANSWER “B”!)

Remember that meglomanical leaders have held themselves as the standard for sanity, at least since Caligula. Obama is no exception, so any such test would have his responses for the model. How do you think your responses would compare to his? Do you think you’d get to keep YOUR vote if they don’t?

RT February 7, 2013 at 1:57 am

Check our Constitution.

Star February 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Another day another lie. Hard to get too worked up. Everyone knew this…except for many of those millions who will be all: “What? What’s an exchange? What do I do? Why is the IRS checking me every month? I thought I got free birth control…I do? Oh, OK.”

lc southern February 6, 2013 at 6:09 pm

And what do you mean coverage under the Bronze Plan cost a family of 4 $20,000 a year?

cincycinco February 7, 2013 at 9:08 am

It’s not like anyone will want to be a doctor anymore, anyway. Too much debt, too much risk (there’s been NO tort reform), and now, not enough reward. Maybe they’ll go to law school and go into Government. After all, that’s the only growth industry around these days…

TimW February 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My personal belief that Obama, in his heart, truly believed that businesses would not drop coverage out of altruistic motives and for the greater good of society. Obama believes that if he declares it, then it is so and everyone will line up to follow the kings decree.

Obama does not believe in the profit motive and has no idea that corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to maximize value. Nor does he understand that small businesses operate on thin profit margins and will dump employees or not hire in order to stay in business.

Obama did not understand his proposal because he had nothing to do with the monstrosity called Obamacare. Obama is an economically illiterate Marxist who lives in a fantasyland of his own creation. He is the quintessential academic fool who has no private sector experience, no accounting, finance, economics or business background of any kind and therefore has no concept of the negative impacts of his ridiculous ideas.

Given all of that he still is a lying scumbag who knew damn well that what he was selling was total BS. No rational sane person could possibly believe that we could insure 30 million more people with Cadillac insurance programs and it would cost less. Right?

Danceswithtruth February 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I’m sorry you haven’t gotten the memo. You just opposed President Obama’s signature piece of legislation. Your entire piece is riddled with “dog whistles.” Racism will not be tolerated. (sarcasm off)

Sadie February 6, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Tim, quite the opposite. He truly believed that business would throw off millions of employees to a single-payer system. That was and is the goal. Of course, adding another 11 million illegal immigrants helps his agenda, too.

RT February 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Tim – What course of action do you plan to take? How close are you to this whole Healthcare thing? A Business owner? Laid off worker? Taxpayer who will be negatively affected down the road?

Read your post. Sounds like you are very angry. Just curious.

TimW February 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm

RT,

Yes I am angry. My healthcare insurance has gone from $1,200 to $1,900 a month in less than 2 years for a family of 5. Access is down, costs are skyrocketing and its only going to get worse.

My cynical side agrees with Sadie in that this whole law was designed to torpedo the current system leading to a single payer system down the road.

Every single claim that Obama made about Obamacare has turned out to be pure BS. He either lied or is a fool.

As for my course of action, my family is moving from CA to Victoria BC (great job offer!) as of April 1st and I am taking every dollar I have and investing in non-dollar denominated assets. I am going to sit on my island and watch America financially implode with tears in my eyes and curse the political class who caused this.

Regina February 6, 2013 at 1:51 pm

That is just the start of the health care. People it’s bad just bad for all of america. I wish we would wake up.

MichelleIndependent February 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Obama is a liar.

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 3:30 pm

(see his “vetting”…)

BoKnowsMo February 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

What if they created a health care plan and no one participated?

Star February 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I read they were actually worried about that–what if they pour every pie in the sky thing they could think of into the exchanges and no one signed up. Aw–we will think of another thing instead of that $1500 a mo policy–maybe take the doc a chicken or change the oil in her car.

Shofar February 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

When I first got sick, I ended up at the local public hospital, and got to see what we were heading towards with Obamacare. Over the past three years I have already seen an increase in the number of people that are being thrown into the public healthcare system.

The system already cannot handle the patients it has. With 11+million illegals possibly heading towards the “pathway” to citizenship the healthcare system will have to adsorb them. Add this 7+million and it is getting obvious that NO ONE has a clue.

I already have to spend months waiting to see doctors, get tests, or surgeries, what is going to happen with millions more being added to the system?

Jeff1000 February 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Lie to get whatever you want passed, afterall, the “folks” won’t know the difference. Then when the lies come home to roost, just change the subject or ignore the question.

Julie Brueckheimer February 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Obama wasn’t wrong. He just lied. It is what it is, depending upon what the meaning of is is.

Girly1 February 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Isn’t this all part of Obama’s stealth plan to go directly to Single Payer?

Corey February 6, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Little o would knowingly lie to the American people? I’m shocked I tells ya!

Sadie February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

President (Kasier) Keyser Söze.

“I am shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!”

Ever get the feeling we’re living between two films – The Usual Suspects and Casablanca (the other White House).

cincycinco February 7, 2013 at 9:14 am

“There’s one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says, “Yes,” you know he is a crook. ”
Groucho Marx

“Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them… well, I have others.”
Groucho Marx

RT February 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Keith – We can also throw into the number every employee that will be simply let go – for “whatever” reason. It’s called unemployment. Healthcare is about more than business, but since we are talking business here…

Like many, I have worked in Government, Corporate America, and as a business owner. The reality, business owners “do what we do” – often focusing on maximizing profit, you know, A = L + OE. Business decisions come in all shapes and sizes – often resulting in less / more service, cheaper products, increased / decreased benefits, better processes, tactical shift in market focus, etc. We add and remove employees as necessary to survive. Like duh…

People are people and people own businesses. Some business folks are highly ethical, others not so much… Some business owners may decide to game the system at the expense of an employee, most others not. What else is new? This occurs regardless and independently of regulations… We have all heard the sound bite: “I am just trying to keep my doors open and this oppressive government is killing me…

Sure, OK, whatever… Most business owners are ethical and actually care about those we employee. In the aggregate, it works most of the time. For us, Adam Smith got it right…

Regarding “ObamaCare”: When it is all said and done and the dust has cleared, we business owners and entrepreneurs will manage just fine and continue to make our country strong – it is what we do… Changes in law, statute, code, enforcement, regulation, etc. are just a fact of life in America. Some good, some not. Some codes seem oppressive and unnecessary, and other laws appropriate. It is what it is and has always been…

Sound Advice: Control what you can; influence what you “reasonably” can; mostly, get with the task at hand – i.e., be competitive with the cards you are dealt. Net Result? Business survival and growth are about responding to change. We’ll respond.

~ RT

P.S. Dr. Johnson has a neat little book about responding to “change” – “Who Moved My Cheese”. A great read. Pick it up or read it again. Good stuff.

RickW February 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

RT, I think the point of the story was that Obama spoke in absolutes, assuring people the decision was theirs. Its not. Many employers, as you correctly point out, will try like crazy to take care of their people. Others will be less concerned. We can debate the actual number since the CBO’s projection is their latest guess but the issue of Obama’s assurance vs fact are not subject to debate.

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Obama speaks,
Obama lies.

Star February 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Like the old joke about the H’wood agent… “Hello,” he lied.

RT February 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Funny… How about this one from a Hollywood Star talking to a fan: “Oh, enough about me. So, what did you think of my last movie?”

Or the Attorney version: Stopping the other in mid sentence one says “Your lying!” To which the other says: “Yes, yes, but hear me out…”

Apologies to any Lawyers here. None to any “Stars”, not that they are on this Blog….lol…

RT February 6, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Knights and Knaves

Otis Driftwood February 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

maybe Mr.O can ask a friend to come back and state at the next press conference – “What difference at this point does it make?

Langley Spook February 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm

“its just a bump in the road”

RT February 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Rick, our President is a politician and politicians “sell” their “stuff” all the time. I am in violent agreement that, like anything political, we were sold. No disagreement there. I would rather suffer this fate than when a politician fails to be direct – which is most of the time.

And old funny: Senator! “What is your favorite color?” The Senator, after a quick discerning facial expression, presents an answer “Today? Plaid”…

On task – All one has to do is drill down on the CBO report and have a read and then ask themselves a question: What to report? We could be reading a different article of good projections – some interesting data is in there. Let’s not go down the CBO record on their Forecasts… but you get my point.

Rick, maybe I just get “sideways” when experiencing journalism which may be better expressed as a narrow avenue / form / venue of entertainment. In that, I am fairly labeled an intellectual / academic / high brow / research-oriented / thinks too hard kind of guy, you know, a liberal… I am a hawk and a capitalist… I just get confused on some of the “social stuff” and think too hard maybe… :)

RickW February 6, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We agree about the CBO and their forecasting.Vodoo, black magic, etc all come into play. I was once berated by a division president who wanted me to ASSURE him my forecast for snow removal expenses 3 years out was “firm”. He became OUTRAGED when I told him I used historical averages. I guess he expected I could predict snow falls 3 years in the future accurately.

I really do think you are bringing too much into this, RT. Obama made statements/promises, implied or otherwise, that many uninformed/uneducated/naive people took as gospel. People like you, me and many others on this blog knew otherwise. Now more facts are coming to light and Keith highlighted them.

Peace

RT February 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Funny story. Perhaps, I give folks more credit than most on here to understand the big picture for what it is – even in the fog of the political moment.

Peace out!

Susan February 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm

We won’t hear a peep from state-run media about the 10 or more flat out lies he told and subterfuge he used to dupe those doctors. Good little lapdogs don’t want to lose access to their messiah. Smarmy little Preezy Revenge sure can tell some whoppers with a straight face. Yeah, we’re gonna free you from being a bookkeeper and allow you to do your doctoring. He didn’t tell them the way Uncle Sam is going to do that is by outlawing doctor-owned hospitals and forcing them into government employ. Suckers!

Most of us knew he was a liar from the get go.

srdem65 February 6, 2013 at 4:41 pm

The Dems ran the whole show for two years, they passed whatever they wanted and the Dem President signed it into law. No Repubs were allowed to debate Obamacare and none voted for it. Very noble of them.

Butt, I hold the Repubs responsible for the implementation of Obamacare. They hold the pursestrings and had two years to chip away at the monstrosity, to change the wording, to nit-pick each insane regulation until it became a crippled program that would have to be redone.
They did nothing.
They proposed nothing. They left us out here in the cold, fighting alone without any inside support.

I won’t be affected by Obamacare, I still have what’s left of Medicare for myself. Butt, my children and grandchildren will be the worse for it
Our country will be the worse for it, she may never recover from the damage done by an unsustainable, unfunded, illogical and immoral program.

Susan February 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I’m with you, srdem. The Republicans may not have voted for Obamacare, but they sure haven’t lifted a finger to stop funding the leviathan. Sure they passed a repeal bill to appease us, knowing it would go nowhere, but Boehner turned a deaf ear to Michelle Bachmann’s effort to stop Obamacare funding back in 2011. Establishment Republicans love big government just as much as the Democrats.

Julie Brueckheimer February 6, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I agree with both of you, but what can be done about it? Our best hope is to send tea party Republicans to the House and Senate next year and have a firm commitment from the presidential nominee to sign into law an overturn of Obamacare. I voted for Romney, but I feel that he and the Republicans did not stress enough the need to overturn it.

RT February 6, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I do not want to get you dirty, but here goes…

I agree with you. Hope you do not have to wash up… ;)

Susan February 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Always puts a smile on my face when someone from the left can be a freethinker.

RT February 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm

LOL… Right you are Susan. Funny!

Sometimes, it seems as though there is a cost to everything… even freethinking… Funny, most of the dogma with respect to the critical thinking process in general involve tangible constructs… ;)

Have a good night.

~ RT

Otis Driftwood February 6, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I just feel like Congress and the public in general was sold the ACA by one of the best Snake Oil Sales Persons around. It is quite the cast of characters, both Democrats for rhamming it through (with out reading it) and I agree with Srdem65 and others that the Republicans sat on their hands for the next 2 years and let it build up into the horrible mess we are now facing.

You could almost rewrite the movie “The Music Man” – Professor Harold Hill strutting into DC to sell the new but low cost Obamacare program…

Lizzy February 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Well speaking from experience ER again Obamacare is going to seriously
harm some do to lack of of or inadequate care.

Al February 6, 2013 at 10:31 pm

As far as I’m concerned, Obama didn’t know anything about this stack of papers sent to Congress for approval. Some folks put it together and gave it to him to push it on the rest of us. He simply was going to put his stamp on it. Now we’re stuck. We can blame him and that witch named N. Pelosi who said to vote for it without studying it beforehand.

CiscoKid February 7, 2013 at 1:48 am

Oh no! Say it ain’t so. He broke another promise?
Woe is me.

Aileen February 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

The questions remain unanswered:
1. Why – the true, one and only reason – was this bill written?
2. Why – the true, one and only reason – was this bill passed?
I do not believe the true, one and only reason was to improve the quality or availability of our healthcare.
Follow the money – the answers are somewhere along the path to financial rewards.