Kerry: I Was Offered Job a Week Before Rice Withdrew

by Keith Koffler on February 1, 2013, 2:33 pm

Incoming Secretary of State John Kerry says he was offered the job by President Obama a week before UN Ambassador Susan Rice withdrew her name from contention, an indication Rice was probably dumped from consideration and then permitted to make it seem like it was her choice to withdraw.

Big headed?

Big headed?

Kerry revealed the timing of events during an interview with the Boston Globe.

Obama offered Kerry the job as controversy raged over Rice’s false insistence that the attack on the Benghazi consulate was in response to an anti-Islamic film, even as evidence was available that it was a well-planned act of terrorism. Republicans were calling for her head even before Obama had offered her the job.

While it’s quite possible he would have chosen Kerry anyway, it’s hard to imagine that the storm around Rice did not affect Obama’s thinking.

So why did Kerry reveal that he was tapped before Rice stood down, something so obviously injurious to Rice? I can only imagine that he was sick of being perceived as Obama’s second choice, the poor man’s Secretary of State.

I’ve always noticed that Kerry physically has the biggest head I’ve ever seen in my life. But it’s not very gracious to start his new job acting big-headed as well.

{ 1 trackback }

Corey February 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm

You know this administration, nothing but a bunch of shameless poor winners!

Star February 2, 2013 at 11:33 am

LOL

srdem65 February 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

This would be sad if it was a spoof of the newly annointed head diplomat, but as it’s not, it’s an ugly and condescending slam against the naive MsRice.
After we were forced to listen to screeching choruses from the leftist women’s groups and the Black Congressional Caucus about the horrible Repubs who were not only women haters, but racists to question MsRice’s integrity and competence, we heard nothing from them when she withdrew her name and MrObama went with an old White man and 1%er tax cheat for the top job.

Susan February 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Spot on, srdem.

tom poole February 2, 2013 at 8:51 am

You left out, traitor, liar, and a few other things. We have aPOTUS, who never served, a man who met with, gave comfort to and supported the efforts of our enemy (in time of war), a proposed SecDef who admits he has no clue what the job is.
We really should feel secure….not

AZ Granny February 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

It doesn’t surprise me that Kerry would say this nor does it surprise me Obama gave him the job while letting Rice twist in the wind for another week. Obama’s war on women continues…

AFVet February 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

So Lurch gets the nod,…what a surprise.
Now the Butler will be the servant of the master.

As a veteran of the Vietnam era, this man is disgusting to me, even more than a politician that never served and yet still finds it necessary to cut the funds that keep the troops in supplies while driving the Country into debt.
They are all pathetic parasites feasting on the host that they created.
I’m sick of it.

RT February 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Yikes…

Lindy February 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Kerry is a d—– bag.

joelc February 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Kerry’s shooting his mouth off already. He just threw Ms. Rice over the fence.
This is going to be fun.

Susan February 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Such haughtiness and arrogance emanating from the poster child for the ruling class.

Star February 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Creepy. What a sport.

DeniseVB February 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Oh nanny-nanny-boo-boo JK ! You were ticked off when Hillary was chosen over your coveted SOS spot on Team Obama. Now to be considered second choice to your own (’04 Prezzy) campaign foreign policy advisor …. must. set. the. record. straight. How sad.

RickW February 1, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Prior to the Vietnam era, John Kerry’s actions (ie: Still a commissioned officer in the Naval Reserve meeting with the enemies of this country) would have been grounds for a charge of treason against him, with the possibility of a firing squad. That said, his comments besmirching Ms Rice are not a surprise to me.

RT February 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Rick – I believe this may be a bit of a stretch. Just sayin’…

RickW February 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

“a stretch”? I don’t think so, RT. Granted, with the turmoil over the Vietnam war, no one would have dared prosecute Kerry for his actions but if you review the US Military Code of Conduct and the legal definitions of treason, the opportunity was there.

All we can be sure of now is that he is the new SoS.

RT February 1, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I hear ya Rick. I went down this Rabbit hole back when he was running for President. I bet I can still find the files on my server… At the end of the day, some call for execution and some call for a metal to honor the courage to stand up. From this framed context, great discussion can be had, and whisky consumed…

The greater crime is that Vietnam did not end up being our “last Vietnam”… The only positive I can think of at this moment – we treat our troops with more honor and appreciation today…

Got to go work out so I can have a piece of Cheese Cake tonight. Now that is worth the sweat… :)

Lizzy February 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm

What does this remind me of with Kerry? Oh I know testifying against his
fellow soldiers about their behavior in Vietnam. Always ready to stab someone
in the back to make himself. look better. He’s a cowardly petty man who will
do anything to make himself look good.

Lindy February 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

The Swiftboat veterans were right. He had/has no honor.

Not Nabob February 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Er, you left out extremely wealthy, i.e. Heinz Teresa and the mega millions. No conflict there huh?

ImNoDhimmi February 2, 2013 at 9:08 am

“He’s a cowardly petty man who will do anything to make himself look good.”

Sounds just like someone else we know, doesn’t it? Kerry should fit right in.

RT February 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Poor Susan Rice…lol… The helpless little woman… “Dumped from consideration”…. The irony would not escape a 3rd grader… Wonder how all this got started back when… Oh, right… 3 degrees of separation.

Dad to Son: Son, this is going to hurt me more than you… Now bend over for your spanking…

Michael February 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Maybe the funniest part is how Carney tried to respond when asked about this at his briefing today.

Mumbled something about not disclosing private conversations with the president…unless, of course, it suits his purpose.

gracepmc February 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

No fan of Susan Rice, but Kerry is and always has been a pr*ck. And his lovely little tomato did not waste any time letting the world know what she has in store for it. From Twitchy there is this

michael viqueira @mikeviqueira
Kerry emerges after swearing in. Reporter: what’s the 1st (world) hot spot? Teresa (raising hand and walking away): “Me”
10:06 PM – 01 Feb 13

Yeah, and representing the United States Mr. and Mrs. Diplomat.

Julie Brueckheimer February 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I do not think Susan Rice was Secretary of State material. However. I have to laugh how all the top Democrats (Obama, Clinton, Kerry) have thrown this BLACK WOMAN under the bus. In the case of the first two mentioned, to cover their own sins.

RT February 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Point well stated and understood. My mission is done for the day.

Noma February 1, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I’m guessing it was a Caesarean birth…..

Not Nabob February 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Next stop for John Kerry?
Vietnam to apologize for the United States’ stupidity during the Vietnam War.

MichelleIndependent February 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Ah, yes, John Kerry…living high off the earned money of John Heinz III.

gypsy February 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

Ha. But I think the biggest head honor goes to newt. Chris Christie too.

BIkG July 2, 2013 at 3:26 am

135391 611673Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great article. 114300