In Speech, Obama Fails to Mention Terrorism

by Keith Koffler on January 22, 2013, 10:03 am

President Obama failed to mention terrorism in his inaugural address, omitting from his remarks the existential threat that has plagued the United States for more than a decade.

Recent events have shown that al Qaeda and the threat of terrorism remain potent problems for the United States, which just months ago had its consulate in Benghazi overrun and which is now helping France try to root out Islamists in Mali.

But as Obama busies himself with his domestic agenda, terrorism does not seem to be figuring prominently in his thinking.

Instead, Obama sought in his address to impress upon America’s enemies that, effectively, We come in peace:

A decade of war is now ending . . . We will defend our people and uphold our values through strength of arms and rule of law.  We will show the courage to try and resolve our differences with other nations peacefully –- not because we are naïve about the dangers we face, but because engagement can more durably lift suspicion and fear.

While the White House has continued to track and kill terrorists around the world, Obama’s policies and methods may also be laying the groundwork for another attack on the United States.

By choosing to kill terrorists with drones instead of capture and subject them to tough interrogations, the administration may be losing a chance to pick up crucial information. The interrogations of captured terrorists during the Bush years, while raising concerns about whether captives were tortured, nevertheless yielded critical details that prevented future attacks.

What’s more, some believe the continued use of drones radicalizes local populations.

Meanwhile, the complete withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and the increasingly rapid departure from Afghanistan deprives America of longstanding sources of data about terrorist activities.

That Obama would minimize the threat in his speech suggests that, eleven years after 9/11, the White House may be taking its eye off the ball.

{ 1 trackback }

RickW January 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

I see his strategy as “Group Think” If he does not mention terrorism, it does not exist. Sadly, many/most of his followers act the same way.

Girly1 January 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

The sheeple will collectively follow him down the rabbit hole, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

That rabbit hole is filling up fast.

Margaret January 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

Conventional wisdom tells us that Democrats, as a whole, aren’t good at security. President Obama is proving it once again.

Something terrible will happen again — this time much much much bigger than 9/11. And it will happen sooner rather than later. Benghazi and Algeria are the tip of the iceberg. Lately, the pundits have talked about President Obama’s second term and what awaits and what will prove to be his legacy.

Unfortunately, “taking his eyes off the ball” will be his legacy.

RickW January 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

I wish you were wrong, my friend but……You are not.

Rod January 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

What are you talking about? He’s kept his eyes on the little white golf ball. Is there something else you were expecting him to focus on?

Julie Brueckheimer January 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I fear you are right and it’s going to take something horrific to wake up Americans. Meanwhile, it’s happening already but Obama gets away with it because it’s happening piecemeal.

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Well we’ve seen the sad fact we have practically no media to hold him
accountable or anything. They were cheering yesterday so they’ve stopped being journalist are just more deluded followers of Obama.

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

What about Benghazi? Did you see Michelle’s new ‘bangs’ ask the media?
What about Algeria? Did you see Michelle’s red dress?
What about terrorism? We had Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson say the Obama’s.

RickW January 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

Lizzy, Lizzy……Its clear you have the wrong priorities. Once the Re-education Centers open, I’ll make sure you have a nice room. (I’ll be there ahead of you!)

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Do save me a seat and if Obamacare hasn’t killed me off:-)

lc southern January 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Save me one also, please…

Star January 22, 2013 at 2:20 pm

We can all be in the common room….

movintothefarm January 22, 2013 at 11:43 am

That is so true unfortunately

Just2old January 22, 2013 at 11:25 am

I think killing terrorists to obama is like watching a video game. His administration has tried to ignore the threat calling the Ft. Hood terrorist killings “work-place violence”. Keep your head in the sand and it will go away? I feel the country is at a very vulnerable time in our history.

Michael January 22, 2013 at 11:28 am

Very similar with the economy. “The recovery is under way”.

Now we can focus on the important things like same sex marriage and immigration reform. The economy is on automatic pilot. If necessary, we can raise taxes again.

Jeff1000 January 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

We know Barack Obama is an utter failure domestically, even the liberals know that in their lying hearts, but it’s good to highlight the weak little man’s college freshman-like foreign policy as well. If Barack Obama’s first four years in office were tested by answering true or false questions, he would score a big fat zero. Everything he’s done, foreign and domestic, is the exact opposite of what he should be doing. Heck, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once-in-a-while, but not the hapless, bumbling, dithering fool in the White House.

srdem65 January 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

No doubt terrorism is a world-wide threat, but our immediate threat comes from terrorists who live right here, in the good old US of A. A study done by some group associated with WestPoint looks at “right-wing” Americans as a real threat to something…the people, the government….something, while ignoring the “left-wing” Americans who seem intent on silencing any opposition to their agenda with threats, thuggery, and legal attacks.

If MrO fails to mention something in his speech to his peeps, it doesn’t mean that thing isn’t a reality. We can’t defeat a foreign enemy who doesn’t wear a uniform, has no barracks or ships to bomb, and believes that his religion, and his genitals, allow him to kill, maim, and terrorize anyone he chooses. The President didn’t mention our national debt, but there it is, growing by the minute threatening not just our future but our national security.

MrCurl of the WashTimes is right; MrO thinks small. That gays, who make up a miniscule portion of our population, can be legally married is important to him, or that 10 million illegal aliens don’t feel wecome here bother him enough to include their personal plight into an important address to the nation. He’s a little, mean man.

Susan January 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Well said, srdem. Although your description of him as “a little, mean man” is too kind in my opinion.

Jeff1000 January 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Susan, does “hapless, bumbling, dithering fool” measure up? lol

Susan January 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I don’t think he’s a fool, Jeff. He’s a dangerous, power hungry, evil megalomaniac in my book.

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Very dangerous since almost all the media cover for him and ignore the big stories its truly scary.

Jeff1000 January 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Susan, even though I agree with you all the time, I think that a “dangerous, power hungry, evil megalomaniac” is a fool. Anyway, regardless, we’re on the same page as always.

alimar January 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Just2old January 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’m sure the Republicans were asking the same questions after FDR’s third inauguration….

Julie Brueckheimer January 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I don’t believe he’s said anything constructive about the Algerian situation except that he’s looking into it. A man from here in Eastern Oregon was one of the 3 Americans killed.

Not Nabob January 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I wonder? Would his actions be different if the dead Americans were not involved in the Oil and Gas industry..Say they worked for the State Depar. Oops, my mistake Two dead from Texas I believe.

SAllen January 22, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I see that Mr. O is sending our F-16′s to Egypt. With the Muslum Brotherhood’s attitude toward Israel, I wonder what the Jewish population in American is thinking. Do they regret their votes last Nov.?

Susan January 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Heard his comedy show writers plagiarized several phrases from Abraham Lincoln speeches as well. From what I’ve read, he wasn’t speechifying to all Americans – just the 51% who voted for him.

Agree his continued use of drones plays a part in radicalizing Muslims, just as his foray into Libya appears to have radicalized much of the populous there. Ghadaffi loyalists see what Obama’s rule of law did for him in the end. Even the monster Saddam Hussein had the pretense of a trial before he was executed. The first sign of that radicalization was the Benghazi embassy attack, then the Algeria hostage slaughter. Many of the terrorists were Libyan and they were hunting for Westerners, particularly Americans, to kill. The little monster in the White House is destroying America’s way of life every which way he can. With the wide open borders he has decreed, wouldn’t doubt we have many more actual and potential terrorists among the illegal aliens he adores so much.

Girly1 January 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm

And a good many of that 51% who voted for him needed to have the speechifying translated into Spanish…

RickW January 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Even the entertainment was phony…..http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/confirmed_beyonce_did_lip_synch_jfpmmlw5kWNr9NSl4VOLSL (h/t NY Post and US Marine Band)

srdem65 January 22, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Once again we have to rely on the Brits to tell us what really happened at the party we didn’t know about;

Otis Driftwood January 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I guess I was bored, took a look at the brit’s posting. Yup, missed nothing. Funny pic of BigMo flashing the Hawaiian gang sign with MrO as the float went by. Screwed her face all up for it..

Langley Spook January 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Dont forget, Obama said “peace in our time” during his address… (how’d that phrase work out last time? -lol)

gracepmc January 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Neville Obama

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Quisling for sure.

gracepmc January 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I suspect there is more coming from North Africa in particular and we are woefully or purposely unprepared. Leading from behind and Obama’s love affair with drones coupled with the upcoming trio of lapdogs Hegel, Brennan and that dilettante Kerry does not augur well. But then again as the West Point associated think tank points out the danger is from the domestic right. And Big Sis and Eric have that well in hand.

Lizzy January 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm

The Obama’s have quickly become a modern day Juan and Evita but hey still
have no class.

Jacob Gabel January 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I was tortured for almost 3 years by the FBI and their friends only
because 85 years old man, Roland Sibens(chicago) convinced them that I
am a terrorist. I was tortured for working on my prosthetic legs in
the basement. I done absolutely nothing illegal or wrong. They thought
that in theory it is possible to hide bomb in them. They saw an
opportunity to get famous, so they were trying to torture me till I
sign their insane story. They tortured me using more than 100
different torturing methods and trust to me waterboarding is not how
they torture nowadays. I dont know where to find justice.

I think that after 9/11 things got out of control. Freedom fighters
became tyrants. In 1945, most Germans had an opportunity to learn about Nazis death
camps. I hope that one day American citizens will get chance to learn about people
like me, who were tortured with no reason for years.

anneinarkansas January 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Neville Chamberlain, Round 2

RT January 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Read through the posts. Wow! What a ride. Hats off to srdem65 for being coherent.

“Margaret January 22, 2013 at 10:31 am: Conventional wisdom tells us that Democrats, as a whole, aren’t good at security.”:

Um Really? At what level? How is this measured? Feel free to cite some scholarly resources…

“Michael January 22, 2013 at 11:28 am: Very similar with the economy. “The recovery is under way”.”

It is not? Really? What are you using to measure this little quip? Recommendations Michael? Remember, policies are exercised over years and decades, so if you want to talk debt, go back to 2008 and tell us what steps we should have taken coming into office…

“Jeff1000 January 22, 2013 at 11:33 am”:
OMG… Priceless.

“srdem65 January 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm”:
Some good points. Good stuff to stimulate discussion.

“alimar January 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm Is there any hope for us? Do the Republicans have ANY chance of recovering from this? Can we ever move back to being the great country we once were??”:
Good question. As individuals, we are wing-nuts, dolts, dysfunctional beings, under educated, over educated, ignorant, etc. We are also all of the opposite. My point – we end up getting it right as a whole and things move in cycles. If I were a Democrat (I am not), I would counsel them to move RIGHT to a nudge right of CENTER. That crowds the Republicans who need to tack left if they want to get with the program. To that end, the Dems need to get a clue – and maybe they will after they come down off of their high…

Several folks mentioning our use of Drones… It “seemed” that the inference was in the negative. Alternatives? Nothing? Boots on the Ground? What?

Julranieson January 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Only ball his eyes are on is white and dimpled.