Michelle Wears Thom Browne Outfit for the Inauguration

by Keith Koffler on January 21, 2013, 10:39 am

The White House has released the details of the first lady’s ensemble, which will be headed to the National Archives once she’s done with it today. Designer Thom Browne got the prized assignment.

The First Lady is wearing a navy Thom Browne coat and dress. The fabric was developed based on the style of a men’s silk tie. The belt she is wearing is from J.Crew, the cardigan is designed by Reed Krakoff and her necklace is designed by Cathy Waterman. She is also wearing J.Crew shoes.

You can see the coat at least in this video of the Obamas attending church.

Star January 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

Cardigan? Groan. The shrug store must have been out.

CiscoKid January 21, 2013 at 10:57 am

Ah yes, imperial robes for Michelle ” Antoinette ” Obama.

movintothefarm January 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

What? Rome is burning and I shoulg a sh!$ about what Mooooch is wearing? And I’m getting ready for surgery and pay thousands out of pocket.

biohazard23 January 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

It’s still lipstick on a pig.

My apologies to the pigs.

Marilyn January 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Agreed

regina January 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I just read that her new hair is a wig…heee heee

Lizzy January 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm

The youngest girl had on a sleeveless dress with one of ‘those’ dreaded belts!
Wonder who dresses the poor things.

Julie Brueckheimer January 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm

One is already a teen, the other on the verge: you have to wonder if those two girls ever get a chance to select their own clothing, something very important to kids.

Lizzy January 21, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Horrible age to grow up in the spotlight.

Kimbly January 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I actually like her new do. And the blue is a big improvement over the putrid yellow green last time with the shoes and gloves that didn’t match. The problem I have is that most media types will swoon over everything she wears no matter what. She is NOT a fashion icon – she’s had some pretty bad outfits along the way. Her national convention outfits looked like someone made them out of patterned curtains.

Kimbly January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Alright, just saw another pic of her at the inauguration and she decided to throw on an ugly belt and garish purple gloves. I’ll have to retract my statement about this being an improvement.

biohazard23 January 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm

You’re pretty brave. I mean, going back to take a second look — that takes guts. I’m surprised you didn’t turn to stone or a pillar of salt after catching a glimpse of that.

Star January 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I liked the yellow color–there! I actually liked something that woman had on. This yr it’s Jackie redux.

QueenOfScott January 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Well, they are all color coordinated in the purplish tones (hosiery, shoes, coats, neckerkhiefs and gloves). Michelle does mess up the look with the wig and belt – otherwise, one of her better looks.

DeniseVB January 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Don’t first ladies usually wear hats to these things ?

Star January 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I am not a fan of the hair, sorry–too Jane Fonda on the tank for me.

Lindy January 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm

The “hair” is a freaking wig.

Marilyn January 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm

She had a hat on, it called a “Wig”

MichelleIndependent January 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Who cares what the First Cow, First Beard wears…you can’t polish a turd.

The luncheon meal consisted of 3,000 calories. Mooch is a hypocrite.

DeniseVB January 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

For the Inauguration, my ensemble consists of black sweat pants, a long sleeve tee accentuated with a oversized sweat shirt from the designer rack at the thrift store. I think total price was a budget busting $4.00. I rather be me :)

Star January 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Sounds darn comfy. I am wearing shorts tastefully topped with a magenta Henley.

calistress January 24, 2013 at 9:17 am

It’s always entertaining to read fashion critiques from Walmart attired matrons.

Jeff1000 January 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I love these outfit blogs. No one can hammer a woman like another woman :-). To me it’s all Greek, but entertaining none-the-less. All I know is that Michelle Obama is a literate idiot.

RT January 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Agreed Jeff. Entertaining at a level of smallness where even a trained psychoanalyst would have to pop a few Quaaludes to treat… And, to that end and on that level, the acid laden dribble speaks volumes. Geez… Glad to see everyone coming together…lol…

I am sure Keith will have something more substantive to post once the white gloves are off, pun intended…

Star January 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

We always do fashion here, RT. You probably forgot.

Jeff1000 January 22, 2013 at 3:50 am

I’m just a fashion illiterate, but it isn’t lost on me that these observations point to a greater truth about our “First Lady”. Don’t let RT skew my intent: he’s just grasping at straws, like any run-of-the-mill liberal.

StillOvertheOs January 21, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Does anyone else get the impression she is trying – in vain – to compete with her teenage daughter? An intelligent, classy, mature woman knows better than to pretend to be in her twenties. Really a riot — twenties wig and classless attire. Purple gloves with that outfit — they match her daughter’s outfit.. No style – no grace – just Cheshire grin cause they pulled another fast one on America.

ISpanx May 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Really a cowbell would have been enough.

I notice that they didn’t even show a picture of it. (Must have been too f’ugly)

I ignored the Inauguration, so I wouldn’t know.

If BO gets is way with this country all the woman will be forced into wearing burqas and full abaya — so maybe she’ll do the right thing, then..