Obama: “I’m a Pretty Friendly Guy”

by Keith Koffler on January 14, 2013, 12:38 pm

President Obama today denied that his lack of sociability was responsible for failures to strike deals in Washington, insisting he liked to meet with Republicans even as he nevertheless diminished the value of personal contact.

“I’m a pretty friendly guy, and I like a good party,” Obama said during an East Room press conference today. “I like Speaker Boehner personally. When we went out and played golf, we had a great time.”

But Obama nevertheless indicated he is personally affronted by Republicans on occasion, noting that even though he shows them hospitality at events like a White House picnic, “It doesn’t prevent them from going on the floor of the House and blasting me for being a big spending Socialist.”

He even suggested some Republicans were avoiding him, charging they were worried about how it would look if they got too chummy with him. “They don’t consider the optics good for them personally.”

Obama instead attributed stalemate in Washington to “very sharp differences in terms of policy” that could only be resolved through negotiation.

“That will be true whether I’m the life of the party or a stick in the mud,” he said.

Lizzy January 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Oh gag me.

Just2old January 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm

You’d have to loan him a quarter to buy a clue!

ImNoDhimmi January 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm

As always, it ALL ABOUT HIM!

WMP January 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Look at me ====I’m friendly, I’m fun – but hell no – I’m not going to negotiate anything – it’s those mean conservative Republicans – they call me names. The man needs to grow some….I like a good party! That’s the best he can do. We are stuck with him – thanks America.

Scottso January 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Listen up Washington. If you want me to come to a meeting there better be beer, chips, lunch or golf. Otherwise, I may as well schedule a TV showing, a concert or a visit from the High School National Ping Pong champs.

Scottso January 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

If any Republican would like to invite me to play golf, I’m ready to play. However, I will hold a press conference afterwards, sit them in the front row and tell them that they hate women. Are you listening Paul Ryan?

srdem65 January 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Whoever asked that question will most assuredly find her chair in the press cellar no longer has four legs or four wheels. It was a gutsy question to ask a man who is prickly about personal attacks on himself and is unable to deflect with a sense a humor.

I thought it was telling that he complained that his daughers don’t want to spend time with him anymore and he’s “alone” in the “big house”. He’s looking for someone to “play cards with”.
Did Michelle move out of the WhiteHouse or is she giving him the cold shoulder, too?

OregonJarhead January 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I think the Republicans should show Obama all the courtesy and respect the Democrats showed Pres. G.W. Bush.

Langley Spook January 14, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Well said… (but that would be “racist” saying ANY bad things about Barack Hussein Obama)

Shofar January 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Tip O’Neil and Ronald Reagan were ideologically miles apart, yet O’Neil would come to the WH and he and Reagan would share a bottle of scotch and discuss how to get past problems between the WH and Congress. Basically it was two old Irishmen sharing a drink, swapping lies (stories) and working together to make the country a better place.

Did they always succeed? No. However, O’Neil knew that even though the ideological gap was ever present, Reagan was open to listening. And Reagan knew the same about O’Neil.

Perhaps there is someone in Congress that is willing to go to the WH and share a line or two of blow with POTUS, swap lies (stories) about their lives and work on moving forward past the ideological impasses that we face.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Simply for the fact that Obama is such an ideologue, and the word compromise is not in his dictionary.

Langley Spook January 14, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Obama; aka: The Dear Leader, is a narcisstic ideologue with strong Marxist-Socialist beliefs and supported by a sycophant NYC-DC liberal “media” that adores him

-sound about right?

Quintus Arrius January 14, 2013 at 3:09 pm

“very sharp differences in terms of policy”
WHAT Policy?

Quintus Arrius January 14, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Showering the adoring Revenge voters with Obamaphones is a tactic. Blaming people and You tube videos for your failures to lead is a tactic. Enforcing laws you like or ignoring others you don’t is a tactic.
Constitutional conformity is a policy.
Sheesh, he IS a lawyer, right?

movedtothefarm January 14, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Who ever said the most popular or fun person made a good leader? This isn’t high school.

Not Nabob January 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

It’s all elementary to His Aloofness.

Lizzy January 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

“I’m a pretty friendly guy”. No you’re not especially to the GOP and all the
American’s who don’t follow you blindly.

Jeff1000 January 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Ask me if I care. Obama, pffffffffffff.

sablegsd January 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I hate him. I hate him more every day.

ImNoDhimmi January 15, 2013 at 8:16 am

Ditto.

AZ Granny January 15, 2013 at 12:20 am

>I like a good party<
Those words are the only words to have crossed Obama's lips that I agree with. He does indeed like a good party. Every day is a party day for him. He arises late, has no schedule to speak of, has movies available 24/7, throws big parties nearly weekly at the WH, golfs, vacations on our dime and spends millions on official dinners.

jimg January 15, 2013 at 1:03 am

Of all the traits I attribute to Obama, ‘pretty friendly’ isn’t even on the radar.