Obama to Hold a News Conference Today

by Keith Koffler on January 14, 2013, 9:26 am

President Obama will hold a news conference at 11:15 am this morning, the White House just announced. I will live stream it for you.

Announcing a press conference just a couple of hours before it hits is an old tactic of George W. Bush’s, giving the press a little less time to prepare and increasing the chances that the president can talk about what he wants.

And what he wants to talk about are immigration, gun control, and how he thinks the Republicans are going to destroy the country if they try to get Obama to be serious about cutting spending by refusing to raise the debt ceiling or by shutting down the government.

I give the president credit for what seems to be a new effort to answer to the press by holding news conferences. He held almost none before Election Day last year, hoping to control the message a much as possible, but this is the second East Room press conference he has staged since winning reelection. He won’t be quizzed as sharply as he should be, but at least the nation will get to see him answering questions.

Just2old January 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

Pinch me; I can hardly wait!

RickW January 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

I am meditating here, awaiting an inspirational teleprompter reading from Dear Leader…….(chanting now)

Susan January 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

Watching one of his press conferences is like watching an episode of Gossip Girls – guaranteed to kill off a few functioning synapses. Think I’ll just read the transcript. Less brain damage that way.

Star January 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

Ditto–and maybe not even that. It will be the usual blat.

ImNoDhimmi January 14, 2013 at 10:44 am

“He won’t be quizzed as sharply as he should be, but at least the nation will get to see him answering questions.”

Or will the nation get to see Barry lie, and lecture, and obfuscate, and stutter and stammer and pull at his nose, and talk about himself as usual? Does Barry ever really answer any important question?

Marcus January 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

My Question to The One: Why did you refuse to rescue the Americans who were attacked in Benghazi.?

Robin H January 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

So if I send my son up to his room to clean it and he goofs around for a few hours, at least I can say he was in his room, right? WTH is the point of having a press conference if he’s not going to answer questions? And WTH is the point of a WH press corps if they’re not going to ask any questions?

I can picture Barry sitting around and suddenly saying, “I want to have a press conference. I haven’t been out giving speeches, you know. I need to hear myself talk. Arrange it for this afternoon, okay? I’ve got nothing else to do today.”

Playrighter January 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Your note (and Rush) said the start time was 11:15. The White House page says 11:30. This was not on the daily schedule, and no mass email came from the White House.

What time did it actually start? (Obama’s norm is about nine minutes late, Rush said it started around 11:55, and I missed it because I got no notice (as usual) from the Obama folks.

Just how late was our late President today?

kids online games, kids online play games, free online games, kids online free games, free online games, online games February 12, 2013 at 6:38 am

Amazing things here. I’m very satisfied to see your article. Thanks a lot and I am looking ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?