I thought this cartoon from our friends at Terrell AfterMath was pithy:
This is why you heard President Obama today repeating what will be the slogan for the White House gun control effort: “If there is a step we can take that will save even one child from what happened in Newtown, we should take that step.”
That has to be the theme, because whatever steps are taken to control guns won’t save many more than one child, and they might end up getting more than one child killed.
Guns are already prolific in this society, and gun control is often little more than closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. But it will sure does make left-wing politicians feel good, and it gives them a chance to stick it to those who cling to their guns.
If we are really going to make policy based on whether it might save one child, here are some ideas for the White House:
1. Mandatory jail sentences for drunk driving.
2. Mandatory jail sentences for texting while driving.
3. Mandatory jail sentences for driving.
4. A no-fly zone over Syria
5. A ban on backyard pools
6. A ban on monkey bars.
7. A ban on baby walkers – yes, they can kill. About one child per year.
8. Cut ethanol and other farm subsidies that raise the price of food and increase the chances of starvation.
9. Outlaw the use of bicycles by children.
10. Invade North Korea, where millions have died because of government policies.
See? Now we’re talking.