Obama to Announce Hagel, Brennan at 1:05 PM ET

by Keith Koffler on January 7, 2013, 9:23 am

President Obama is expected to announce that he is tapping former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) to be Secretary of Defense and White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan to be CIA director during an East Room ceremony at 1:05 pm ET.

I will live stream the event.

Obama appears to be trying to make a bit of a splash with the Hagel announcement by staging it in the East Room, hoping to give Hagel a running start as heads toward what promises to be a tempestuous confirmation process in the Senate.

By contrast, last month’s announcement that Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) would be nominated as Secretary of State was a low-key affair in the West Wing’s Roosevelt Room.

{ 1 trackback }

Lizzy January 7, 2013 at 9:31 am

With every new appointment America slips away a little more. He must pick
the least competent he can find.

Scottso January 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

These 3 aren’t even qualified to be considered a ‘star’ for dancing with the stars.

This is the bottom of the barrel nominations.

Jeff January 7, 2013 at 9:48 am

Not to be blunt but all 3 are the shittiest choices he could make.. The king is looking for a fight.. All part of his plan for a 3rd term

mo1 January 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I read that a Congressman has introduced a bill to amend the Constitution by repealing the 22nd Amendment, lwhich imits the President to two terms in office. Given the love fest a large portion of our population enjoys with Clinton and Obama, I think it may have a chance of passing.

srdem65 January 7, 2013 at 10:05 am

1:05, huh. I’ll bet a box of stale donuts that he won’t show until at least 1:20.

Shofar January 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

That early?

Otis Driftwood January 7, 2013 at 10:30 am

yea.. he is so booked for work today

Shofar January 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

I wonder how the Kennedy wannabe feels being upstaged by a Cornhusker?

As petty as these people are, it probably will stick in Kerry’s craw for his entire term as SOS.

Lizzy January 7, 2013 at 11:03 am

SOS how very appropriate for Kerry save our ship indeed.

Just2old January 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I think he meant same old sh!t…

Lizzy January 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Both apply sadly.

Girly1 January 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

Sounds like Obama is still kicking dirt in Bush’s face with this nomination. Hagel voted for the Iraq Resolution before he started calling for immediate troop withdrawal in 2006. He vehemently opposed the Iraqi surge, as well as Obama’s Afghan surge. According to Chuck Todd, Repubs weren’t so much angry at Hagel for opposing the war, it was the fact that he kept throwing it back in their faces. Another diabolical move by Obama to taunt the Repubs.

rulierose January 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

you know girly, I think you’ve got a great point there. I was really wondering wtf Obama was thinking with picking Hagel. I could see he wanted to spit in someone’s face, but I think you’re right, it’s still motivated by Bush-hatred. old habits die hard, I guess.

and, at the same time, Obama can take credit for being non-partisan (“look, he nominated a Republican to be SecDef!” the low-info voters will say.) a win-win…for Obama, and a lose-lose for America.

AFVet January 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

This is just another indication of how Obama enjoys sticking his finger in the eye of America.
At what point will someone rise up and stop him from destroying our Country ?

MarjoJimbo January 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

They are afraid of him, and I can’t understand why they are.

Star January 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Doesn’t everyone already dislike Hagel–I can’t keep up.

Kimbly January 7, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I wonder if Obama using Hagel like he used Susan Rice as a decoy to draw all the venom from congress, then quietly slip in someone else after all the airwaves are saturated and the news moves on to something else.

Just2old January 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

also known as bait and switch