Happy New Year to All!

by Keith Koffler on January 1, 2013, 2:03 pm

I hope you all had a nice time last night and that you are enjoying the holiday.

To those of you nursing hangovers, remember, a bit of the hair of the dog that bit ya does wonders . . .

Thank you all for a wonderful year. The website is doing extraordinarily well, and it’s all thanks to you. Because, I can cut down all the trees in the forest I want, but if you don’t hear them and enjoy listening – or at least feel challenged or interested – then I haven’t made a sound.

I’m looking forward to a great year, to trying some new things, and to continuing the mission so many in the press ignore: Holding the White House accountable every single day of the year.

So Happy New Year, and my best wishes to all of you and your families.

Keith

Star January 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I am saying Happy Tuesday! One day at a time, as they say. To think of another year like 2012–well, I can’t. I need to pace myself, but seem kind of bad at it. As for WHD, this is a stop many times a day–I just need to not take it so seriously. The people involved in DC clearly don’t.

Island Girl January 2, 2013 at 2:02 am

Totally agree, love your comments Star. Happy New Year to you.
I see our hard working dictator is heading back to Hawaii. Yay, not.
Slap in the face taxpayers! Uggggggg

Shofar January 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Happy New Year Keith.

So everyone doesn’t have to wade through all the replies from yesterday’s post, I am, if you will permit me, re-posting my comment on the fiscal cliff.

It is now January 1, 2013 and this is my final 2012 tally for Obama and his year of travel on AF1.

Schedule is based on that reported here on WHD. Mileage is calculated from major city to major city. Hourly operating expense is as reported in USAToday and the UK Mail, 2010. These costs are simply for AF1, and DO NOT include any support aircraft, ground transportation or other related travel expenses (hotels, meals, etc.)

Total miles AF1 December 2012 = 11,016
December 2012 cost for AF1 = (11,016 /550 avg. air speed of AF1) * $181,757 p/hr for AF1 = $3,640,427

YTD 2012 cost AF1 – YTD miles: 167,550 domestic 53,899 international = 221,449 miles
(221,449 /550 avg. air speed of AF1) * $181,757 p/hr for AF1 = $73,181,647

That’s right, by my calculations, President Obama spent over $73million dollars of taxpayer money for his private jet (aka Air Force 1). With the costs of additional aircraft to ferry supplies, equipment, etc., plus the costs of accommodations for his staff, Secret Service, and others that may have flown with him, I would guesstimate the cost of all the travel in 2012 was double or more.

Happy New Year!

Now that the election is over, I am hoping that the travel costs will drop considerably. I plan on tracking 2013, and I am thinking of doing a month to month comparison between 2012 and 2013. Thank you all for the positive feedback on this endeavor. I hope that it has been as eye opening to all of you as it was to me.

Keith, THANK YOU for all that you have done for all of us this past year, and for all the words of encouragement that you have provided. Even though the GOP is getting to seem less and less relevant, there is still a fight to be had for the Republic. It is my hope and prayer that all conservatives, classical liberals, libertarians, and those that hold out for the future of the nation continue to talk and preach common sense until the victory is won, or we are all in chains.

Susan January 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Happy New Year and thank you, patriot. I’m hoping and praying with you.

Hard to believe one man can spend $73 million per year just on airplane travel alone. Another expense we don’t often think of is the advance team for every presidential visit. Add in all the other logistics you mentioned and that $73 million could well be tripled.

Otis Driftwood January 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm

A good primer for those who wonder who can claim what and when for official travel – http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS21835.pdf

Quintus Arrius January 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Good piece on the price of the AF-1 ops. Very expensive, indeed

Girly1 January 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm

A big ‘thank you’, Shofar! You have done a herculean job of keeping track of the high-jacking of AF1 for campaign purposes. The cost to taxpayers is staggering when you consider all the extras. I doubt if his travel costs are going to drop – VJ told us he plans to do more traveling in his second term. He’s not going to stop until the wings fall off! It’s all about his ego.

Not Nabob January 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

Shofar,
The Republican Party aka GOP is

Not Nabob January 2, 2013 at 12:23 am

now and will be extinct in the near future. The newly established Tea Party will gain strength and become a major player enacting future laws saving our dear Mother Country. Or at least I pray we have the sanity to do just that.

Island Girl January 2, 2013 at 2:20 am

Truly nauseating!
Thanks Shofar, the Prezzie is back in the sky, Hawaii bound! Aloha!

Keith Koffler January 2, 2013 at 7:11 am

Great job, Shofar. Thanks for all this hard work.

SnarkEsq. January 2, 2013 at 7:57 am

Shofar, thanks again for tracking and calculating that for us. I always look forward to the information you post. Happy New Year!

Carole January 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

One of the best things of 2012 for me was finding your blog! AND I can’t even remember how I linked out to you. Well, I am kinda old.Happy new year to you–I enjoy all your posts!

RickW January 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm

(Oh God, Bo bit me too? I thought it was just Obama!….) HAPPY NEW YEAR, Keith!

MarjoJimbo January 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm

A wonderful and prosperous New Year to you and your family, Keith!

Susan January 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thank you for all you do, Keith, and Happy New Year to you and all my WHD friends.

Our NY eve was very subdued. Husband and I were snuggled up watching a Gunsmoke episode with our five dogs when midnight rang. We’re just grateful for all that God has graced us with.

With what’s happening in D.C., there’s not too much to celebrate anyway. We’re watching these crooks all join hands and sing cumbayah as they steal more of our wealth and liberty with their stealth $330 BILLION stimulus.

Mark Levin sure has these corruptocrats pegged…

OldTimer January 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Susan, this might interest you. My friend has been tracking the attendance of the college football games. Up to now only two bowls were sold out…..Alamo and Chick-fil-A.

Susan January 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank you, OldTimer. Those stats are a good sign.

Stevie January 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Happy New Year to you, Keith, and all who post such thoughtful, intelligent comments at this great site.

JP January 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

To Keith and all of the WHD gang, my good wishes for a healthy and prosperous New Year. This blog got me through the down days of the 2012 campaign. I hope that this country and those who lead us (of at least pretend to do so) can get this mess straightened out. Star is right: one day at a time! Best wishes to all.

Sara B January 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Don’t cut down too many trees Keith! The greenies will scream bloody murder! Have a wonderful and prosperous New Year! Thanks for all you do to enlighten and listen to us!

mary krauss January 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Keith! Thanks for carrying the torch that has brought so much clarity to your readers. We value your perspective in these muddied, often despondent times.

All best wishes for a prosperous, healthy 2013!

AZ Granny January 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thank you Keith, for all that you do! I credit this blog and comments here with helping me get through the rough times. Never in my life have I feared for our country as I have with this president. As we begin this new year I wish you all peace, health and prosperity. Happy New Year!

Julie Brueckheimer January 1, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Best wishes to you, Keith. And thank you for this site.

Langley Spook January 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Keith, when it comes to “trying some new things” for WHD please do not switch over to that ‘Disquss’ comment system. I saw some other websites I follow switch over to it over the past few weeks. I find that system kinda annoying (re: having to ‘register’…)

Star January 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I second that–can no longer see comments or comment on The Caller or Newsbusters–due to their insistence that I load a browser I don’t want.

Otis Driftwood January 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Happy New Year to everyone who regularly comment here at WHD, and a HUGE Thank You to Keith for his excellent site!

Julie Brueckheimer January 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

There are indications that Issa and Cantor are not going to go along.

srdem65 January 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

You might be right.
Like the lady said “buckle up”, we’re in for a bumpy ride.

srdem65 January 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Happy New Year to everyone here.

rulierose January 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Keith,

as many others have said here, your site helped me make it through that horrible election season and its horrible conclusion. whenever I would hear the MSM say something particularly disgusting, I’d run over to WHD for a dose of sanity.

thanks also to Granny Jan, Star, and all the other regulars, who instruct and inspire with their comments.

here’s hoping for a better 2013!

Quintus Arrius January 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Happy New year Keith Many thanks for the wonderful forum you have provided with the WHD. I have enjoyed the reading, commenting, getting educated and above all, entertaining by you and the faithful here. Forward unto Dawn!

csinnm January 1, 2013 at 7:26 pm

and to you and your family and the “family” here.

blondie January 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for this blog Keith. Hope your new year is wonderful.

So did anyone else but me hear that the President has Air Force One on standby if the deal goes through? He’s going back to Hawaii!!!!! That is just unfrickin believable to me. We are so screwed!

Island Girl January 2, 2013 at 2:24 am

Yep… 5am landing…sickening!

SAllen January 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Happy New Year Keith! I have enjoyed your blog all year; you are a light in the darkness for many people I am sure! Keep up the good work!

CiscoKid January 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm

May the Heavenly Father watch over and protect this still great Republic and its patriots.
Thank you Mr. K for providing this terrific forum.

Girly1 January 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Out with the old – in with the new! Happy New Year to you and your family, Keith, and to the fabulous WHD brigade!

Just spent the past 36 hours in an Obama-free zone in the semi-wilderness of the snow-capped mountains of sunny SoCal – away from the madding crowd. Just the kidlets, grand-kidlets, dogs, and Mother Nature – a sure-cure for Obamaphobia, albeit only temporary.

Looking forward to another year of holding these crooks accountable, Keith. We need you more than ever.

Sadie January 2, 2013 at 12:47 am

It’s more than a one-man job. Keith has his work cut out for him and we have to rip the white flag out of the hands of the GOP.

Island Girl January 2, 2013 at 2:29 am

Sweet Girly1…quite the accomplishment in my ol SoCal:)
Happy New Year
To you too Sadie:))

Jeff January 2, 2013 at 12:10 am

If you don’t write a huge story on this jackass running back to Hawaii, well Ill just have to taunt you again…

Not Nabob January 2, 2013 at 12:16 am

I agree. Well said. Happy, happy, joy, joy. 2013, dang times flies.
Keith Koffler 2020, a man with vision….

Knothead January 2, 2013 at 12:33 am

Happy New WHDyear to all posters and the impostors too.

qestout January 2, 2013 at 12:42 am

Good job, KK. Happy New Year! Will keep reading :)

Swedishlady January 2, 2013 at 3:38 am

“Holding the White House accountable every single day….” oh, sweet music to my ears indeed. You are that rare kind of journalist, Keith.
I wish you and everyone here a Happy New Year. I am so glad that I can peek in here and experience the real American voice. Let´s look at it on the bright side. It can´t be worse, I mean he can´t be reelected this year too.

Mr. Pink January 2, 2013 at 4:06 am

Fiscal cliff avoided, Obama heads back to Hawaii

WASHINGTON, D.C. (HawaiiNewsNow) -
Congress finished passing legislation to avoid the worst effects of the fiscal cliff on Tuesday night, and President Obama boarded Air Force One to salvage a few days of his planned Hawaii vacation.

Obama’s Hawaii Vacation Tally
2008 ~ $1 million USD (Rough estimate excluding the cost of AF 1)
2009 $4 million USD
2010 $4.2 million USD
2011 $4.2 million USD
2012 $7.6 million USD

2013 $4 million USD
2014 $4 million USD
2015 $4 million USD
2016 $4 million USD

Total cost:
~$37 million USD

Numbers are based on HawaiiReporter’s cost estimates for Obama’s “family tradition” of traveling to Hawaii for the Christmas holiday.

To date, the American tax payer has already been burdened with a cost in the vicinity of $21 million dollars for these vacations.

Assuming Obama keeps this “family tradition” going through his second term, the tax payer can expect to have picked up a tab exceeding $37 million dollars just for Obama’s Hawaiian Christmas vacations before he leaves office January 2017.

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou!

Lizzy January 2, 2013 at 4:10 am

I doubt if what I’m thinking translates into Hawaiian. Hope it rains..lots.

Keith Koffler January 2, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thanks for your kind comments. Looking forward to spending 2013 with all of you!

SnarkEsq. January 2, 2013 at 7:54 am

A bit late, but Happy New Year to you Keith! And to all the wonderful posters here!