Republicans Continue to Cave

by Keith Koffler on December 31, 2012, 10:17 am

I love the reporting we’re seeing on the Fiscal Cliff. About what you’d expect. For the most part, it describes Democrats as being “flexible” by increasing the amount of income that won’t be subject to a tax increase.

And the press seems to be accepting the Democratic line that Republicans are trying to just ruin everything by pushing for spending cuts, and it was a “setback” when Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell tried to reduce Social Security benefits by proposing “chained CPI.”

THOSE EVIL REPUBLICANS!!

Let’s try to understand what’s going on here.

The fiscal cliff was a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. But negotiations are centering on taxes. Republicans are being forced to accept a tax increase, but the minute they put serious spending cuts on the table, they are accused of trying to screw everything up.

In fact – hold on while I get my bandages to wrap around my head to prevent it from exploding . . . okay, there . . .

DEMOCRATS WANT MORE SPENDING

Thank goodness. Head didn’t explode. I hope yours didn’t either.

That’s right, they want to forget about the fiscal cliff cuts for a couple of years, and use the tax increase to fund another year of “EMERGENCY” unemployment benefits and to prevent doctors from getting less money for Medicare patients.

Even President Obama, bless his heart, says he’d be open to Social Security cuts. But that’s only because he was willing to do it once upon a time – it would look bad to say he was for it before he was against it – and because he knows Democrats will never go for it.

And so the focus of this deal will be on taxes, and the Democrats will accept the blessing of the press for being so eminently reasonable, and Republicans will

CAVE IN

to Democrats and the Washington establishment.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

Margaret December 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’ve been thinking about this for weeks. Republicans will lose this battle, but Obama’s presidency and legacy will be hurt in the long run. Another year or two of spending at this level, Obamacare implementation and higher taxes for job creators will make markets tumble.

My husband and I are preparing for a major recession. We are moving money around and have canceled all spending that isn’t necessary. (For example, home improvements have been put on hold. That’s $60,000 that won’t hit the economy.)

The media can spin this all they want. Our economy is in serious trouble. The poor will get poorer. The rich will sit on their money and not offer opportunities for people to lift themselves out of poverty.

Until we get entitlement spending under control, we’re screwed as a nation.

srdem65 December 31, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh great, every time politicians talk about plans to cut spending it’s the police, firemen, teachers, or Grandma and Grandpa. They never talk about cutting grants to find out why flies buzz around someone’s head when they’re sleeping, or building memorials to themselves and their buddies.

The hypocrisy of fairness by making one class of wage earners pay more than others is somehow lost on everyone. Worse than that is the farce that Repubs don’t want more revenue pouring into the federal coffers so that they, too, might appear to be benificent donors to special interests in their own districts.
Our friend, Susan, and others have been calling the ‘fiscal cliff’ and all the posturing “kabuki theatre” and they are right on point. We’re all going to pay more in taxes, directly or indirectly, when it’s all over.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 10:41 am

There is a civil war going on the country between wage earners from the private sector and those working for the government or getting handouts from it. Right now the side you and I are on is losing.

AFVet December 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

We all have to pay more, they just got a raise.

Susan December 31, 2012 at 11:36 am

So true, srdem. Regardless what grand bargain they make today, more than a trillion dollars in new Obamacare taxes will go into effect after midnight tonight. Happy New Year fellow serfs.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

Just look at the Sandy bill the Senate just passed. It’s filled with pork. There was mention of money going to Alaska fisheries, and speaking of Alaska, these bills are just the tip of the iceberg of unnecessary spending. Both sides guilty.

Star December 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

So the Sandy bill is what they used to call the Christmas Tree Bill, with shiny goodies on it?

I am tuning out of this stupid debate for now–did the Dems agree to go above $250K for increases or should I say, removal of Bush cuts? I guess they see that as a concession. How did SS get in there yesterday–I heard it did. Oh, well–it’s all crap.

I was going to replace my big appliances, which are crumbling–now I may not…maybe ANOTHER stove repair, sorry, stove makers. This lack of leadership is making me sick.

Anne Lieberman December 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

Keith, this resembles the question I am always asked – “What is wrong with the Jews?” – for which there is no easy answer (outside of the Norman Podhoretz book). But I have to ask you, What in the hell is wrong with the media? Seriously! How long are they going to prop him up?

gracepmc December 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

The media is never coming back. If Eric Holder’s goons came door to door, in the dark of night, confiscated all the guns and gave them to the illegal immigrant installed in your home, the media would report this as an America safe for all.

RickW December 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

Perhaps instead of the Congress virtually closing so they could watch the movie “Lincoln” , someone could have gotten a few copies of the movie “Dave” from the early 90s. Actor standing in for the ill President actually makes progress on budget cuts, asking the tough questions, etc. Simplistic? You bet. However, given the track record of these pompous imbeciles, I’d rather try “Dave’s” approach rather than listen to them blovate about Obama’s “Lincoln moment” etc.

DeniseVB December 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

The fools on the hill should just try a household budget approach, you don’t spend more than you bring in !

And for heaven’s sake, cut up their credit cards !

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 11:04 am

The fools on the hill–that’s good. Don’t the Beatles have a song like that?

Susan December 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

They all just got a pay raise courtesy of Preezy Revenge’s EO pen. By the time this is all over, their credit cards will be freshly loaded with a gazillion dollar spending limit, and we’ll all be feeling used like a cheap date who just got rolled by the guy who was whispering sweet nothings in our ear just moments before.

AFVet December 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

The problem is, THEY control what is brought in.

Frederick December 31, 2012 at 11:19 am

OK. Let’s go over the Constitution again. Article I, Section 7 of the Constitution states all bills for raising revenue (taxes) shall originate in the HOUSE! Not the Senate. The Senate can amend the bill once it gets it but tax bills have to start in the House of Representatives.

And the Supreme Court has also ruled that taking a Senate bill that is not a tax and turning it into one is also a no-no. So it is the House Republicans and the President that must be talking, not Mr Reid and Mr Biden.

Oh, and this is the fundamental reason why the entire Obama Care law is unconstitutional. It originated in the Senate and the Supreme Court has now said it’s a tax. Ergo…

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 11:46 am

BTW, there is an op-ed in the NYT today headed “Let’s Give Up on the Constitution”. I wish I had that quote from Robert Bolt’s A Man for
All Seasons at my fingertips: something about if you do away with the law, there is nothing that stands between you and the devil.

TimG December 31, 2012 at 11:53 am

Good point Julie

The courts of late seem to have already decided that the constitution could use some freshening up! I believe it should be dusted off and brought back into focus.

Susan December 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

These crooks have spent their whole congressional careers discovering ways to usurp the Constitution they take an oath to protect and defend. With Obamacare, Reid took a revenue bill that the House had passed previously (veterans housing subsidy), stripped the guts out of the veterans bill, and replaced it with Obamacare. Presto chango it’s all kosher. In their eyes, they didn’t do anything unconstitutional. When Chief Justice Roberts codified the law as constitutional, he removed any issue about the bill’s origin.

I have no doubt they will use the same tactic with this grand bargain, and all the constitutional lawyers in the government’s employ will give it their stamp of approval.

ArnoldLayne December 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

Regardless of the merits of the Republican position, they have been aced by the Democrats and Obama.
This is about taxes going up for everyone or taxes going up for only the 2%. At the same time, the budget is 63% Social Security, Medicare, and Defense. The Republicans won’t go for Defense cuts [which they should], so that leaves grandpa, grandma, the disabled, and poor.
Who has the stronger argument -regardless of the press, which will not fairly present the larger picture?

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

The Republicans are going to be blamed either way, but if they agree to tax cuts (especially with nothing in return), they are going to lose their base. Even with something in return, they will lose their base. So, imho, they should go off the cliff and keep their base. The House Republicans should not go along with whatever the Senate come up with. The House did not go along with Boehner’s Plan B, and now they are willing to go down to $500,00O or even $250,000? I. Don’t. Think. So.

Susan December 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Boehner will get enough Democrats to pass whatever hairball the Senate coughs up. That is when the Republicans will own the tax increases. The establishment Republicans always take their base for granted. They figure who else are we going to vote for? The Democrats who have gone full blown commie?

TimG December 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

Keith,

I am scooping up what is left of my brains that fell out after the re-election of obummer. Without an objective media to report what is actually going on in regards to the financial debacle we are in it will be a tough sell for the Republicans to have their message heard clearly. If in a bizarro world the media tonight at 6 started with reporting that spending and debt is higher than ever and taxes need to rise 50% on everyone working to balance the budget then we might see some action. For now the republicans have little hope of having their real and practical message of spending cuts, entitlement reform, and a balanced budget heard by anyone other than their wives or mistress’s. When will a true leader rise from the ranks?

Larry Davis December 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Do you mean you are willing to cut the Seniors Social Security and give the V. P. and Congress a raise at the same time. Why not put back into Social Security that which has been borrowed from it and then there will be no short fall at all. CROOKED POLITICIANS!!!

Star December 31, 2012 at 12:32 pm

How about having a lockbox going forward? Oh–I know–too simple.

Star December 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Over at the NYT, the lib readers are heaping scorn on Republicans. I cannot comment there bec I did not subscribe. I also no longer can comment on The Caller or Newsbusters bec I won’t load Bing or Chrome–they have no interest in conforming to me, only want me to do what they say. Sound familiar? I can still comment here, so for better or worse, you’ve got me. Incidentally, I can comment on many other Disqus sites with IE–just not those two. But better minds than mine at clearly in charge.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm

The NYT lies in the hands of people like Obama who want to ‘transform’ (read destroy) the America we know. As I mentioned above, they have a piece in there today by a Georgetown University Constitutional law professor who wants to chuck the Constitution. For my sanity’s sake, I no longer even want to comment on sites like the NYT and Huffington Post.

Star December 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Just telling you how his PR offensive (perfect word) is working… Yes, going on TV again!!! They are all hushed at Fox, tho you can expect pretty much nada but BS.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

There is a report that Obama is going on TV again today at 1:30 EST with a background of ‘middle class taxpayers’ behind him and he’s going to blame Congress, i.e., the Republicans for the Tax Cliff if there is no ‘compromise’ by midnight tonight. I am hoping that he is overplaying his hand because Gallup also has a poll out that he’s lost 5 points in approval just since Christmas.

csinnm December 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm

yup, here come those middle class taxpayers, Julie. heavy sigh…

Star December 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Do they get paid to stand there–at least it’s work.

DeniseVB December 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Mark Steyn (filling in for Rush) was joking about the presser with the middleclass props by saying ….. Obama will appear this afternoon with the finalists of Who Fathered Kim Kardashian’s Baby. :D

Girly1 December 31, 2012 at 4:49 pm

That’s hilarious!

This circus act of Obama’s is getting pretty stale after 4 years – like watching paint dry. The props need to play a more active role. He could jazz it up with a game of pin the tail on a Republican; a dunk- Boehner booth; a shooting gallery with House Republicans as targets; or a magic show where Obama waves his wand and all the evil rich capitalists disappear. If only we could wave a magic wand and make Obama disappear!

Noma December 31, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thank you for that laugh! I spent the afternoon as a DC Tourist sitting in the Senate gallery listening to blather. A quiet afternoon – all things considered.

srdem65 December 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

The Pres is giving a campaign speech. I can’t stand it. And, he’s lying through his teeth.

csinnm December 31, 2012 at 1:52 pm

he seems a little too chipper considering the consequences. I hate him and all he stands for.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm

The plants around him: two blacks (one female), two unmarried white women and a Latino. No white males and no older people.

Julie Brueckheimer December 31, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Why are you torturing yourself, srdem65?

srdem65 December 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm

It’s either the politicians or my kids and I love my kids.

Star December 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm

But it is all a campaign–big man on campus…swinging…never mind.

ridemt December 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Taxpayers do not fund the unemployment. However, taxpayers WILL fund the welfare and foodstamps of the 2.1 million people who lost their unemployment payments on the 29th, when they apply for them today.

Susan December 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yes the taxpayer does fund federal subsidies to state unemployment benefits. It cost us taxpayers $44 billion for a one-year extension in 2012. In my opinion, those people still collecting unemployment benefits after more than 2-years of being unemployed need to take some personal responsibility for providing their livelihood. It is not me or my fellow taxpayers who are responsible for their support.

It would be like me knocking on your door and demanding you feed me, clothe me, and let me move into your house because I haven’t been able to find a job.

Langley Spook December 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm

…this is why I drink.
:-(

gobnait December 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It’s why I may start.

Langley Spook December 31, 2012 at 9:38 pm

bottoms up… to you :-)
and the once proud & strong USA (1776-2012 AD) :-(

cindylou December 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm

OT Where did Granny Jan go? did she get disgusted after the election?

p.s. One my NY resolutions is to stop reading anything political-I feel powerless to change anything so why keep getting mad?

MarjoJimbo December 31, 2012 at 4:16 pm

My husband won’t talk about politics anymore. This is my only outlet!

KmB December 31, 2012 at 4:19 pm

A pox on all of United States National Government from the White House and the inept leadership now residing there, to the House of Representative who should all be replaced in one fell swoop to the elderly in the Senate that are so out of touch that they should all be sent to retirement homes in hades. A change is needed in this country and there will be only one way to make it happen.

Star December 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Some dark-haired woman is hosting Cavuto and I hate to say it–but she is so stupid it hurts. Every guest says something like…”Well, Laurie, Glory, whatever your name is….that is not quite correct….” Her best so far is how great the economy is and what a good yr lies ahead.

Star December 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm

PS Whee! We are going over. The House will not vote before midnite–this acc to Baier, not the aforementioned woman.

Girly1 December 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I think she is one of the mini-skirts from the FOX Business channel. Nuff said.

Star January 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

It’s the plungy tops that bug me–put the girls away, ladies.

SnarkEsq. December 31, 2012 at 11:35 pm

She’s a dipshit. She was on Fox & Friends last Thursday morning when the weekly unemployment numbers were out, and she was excitedly proclaiming that 350,000 new unemployment filings was a good number.

Star January 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

She was dopey. Also that Juliet Huddy bugs me.

JustSaying12 December 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Don’t lose elections and this won’t happen. Then again, they could taken a deal in 2011 when they had more leverage.

Star January 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

I agree–I don’t think you can expect the Dems to just give the Republicans anything they ask for–they already got a higher floor on removing the cuts. Probably the spending cut football will be whipped away–but they can still hold the debt ceiling as a chip, I think. I am not sure. That stupid meeting with the glum supporters dragged into the auditorium to listen to him berate the Republicans–that is not how it’s going to work, blah blah–was irritating, but we may have to take it and just hope he overplays his hand and begins to irritate everyone.

Quintus Arrius December 31, 2012 at 5:43 pm

“Obama, bless his heart” translated for those living south of the Mason-Dixon line is “Obama,dumbass.”
Just thought you’d like to know.

Jeff December 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I’m ready for the next 4 years, I’ll hunker down and hunt n fish n won’t spend anything over what I have to to keep my bills paid. I balanced my credit down to zero so they won’t get a dime outa me as I’m self employed.. Screw them. Illgive that money to charity before I hand it over to Barry and his Chicago goon squad

Darkangel December 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Caught part of Obeyme’s presser. I don’t think I’ve seen such an obscenely inappropriate victory dance since Frank Lester after Keil Reid knocked himself out.

When, by all that’s holy, is the First Candidate going to actually show up and serve in the office he was elected to, twice? He can be President any day he wants to at this point, but he apparently would rather spend the next four years campaigning even though he’s ineligible to run again.

That’s ALL HE’S EVER DONE, is campaign. If he were actually serving as President of the (ahem) UNITED States, he’d see that half the country is vehemently opposed to his ideas, and either try to persuade them, or attempt to compromise. He has done neither. He has been a by-the-numbers, down-the-line, my-way-or-the-highway Leftist, acting like the Democratic primary is next week and he has GOT to get his base to the polls.

That is the behavior of a political hack, not a national executive. I would have thought that he might stop campaigning now that he’s got nothing left to campaign for. I guess he wants to be Chief High Mucky-Muck of All Mankind next, and that’s why he’s continuing in campaign mode.

As for the deal being kicked around now: all tax hikes, no spending cuts. It’s a genuine proposal the way poker tournaments are a genuine sport. And I say that as a poker player who’s played in several small casino tournaments. The only athleticism in a poker tournament is testing the limits of your holding power after you’ve had too much to drink, but that’s another discussion.

So a tasteless campaign speech by Obeyme, and a non-solution solution from the Hill.

And they wonder why people don’t vote!

OneCitizenOfTheRepublic December 31, 2012 at 10:21 pm

White Flag Boehner strikes again…what do conservatives get. Nada, zilch, nothing, not one iota. What does Obama get…pretty much whatever he wants.

There is NO LEADERSHIP in the Republican party. There is only sheep following along and begging for crumbs for The Lord Obama.

It is time for the American People to consider if they are willing to continue to allow RINO Boehner and this petty socialist dictator to rule or demand their removal by IMPEACHMENT…

justamom321 December 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm

We need a revolution!
Cut government spending in half.
Then institute the FAIR TAX…..no favors, no tax cuts for anyone. No IRS. Wonderful!!

cindylou January 1, 2013 at 2:39 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR WHD!

Shofar, Susan, Denise, AFvet, Star, Langley, Girly1, srdem65, and Keith and anyone I missed -you all rock!

and again Happy New Year all :)

Star January 1, 2013 at 11:35 am

Back at ya, CL!

Shofar January 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

It is now January 1, 2013 and this is my final 2012 tally for Obama and his year of travel on AF1.

Schedule is based on that reported here on WHD. Mileage is calculated from major city to major city. Hourly operating expense is as reported in USAToday and the UK Mail, 2010. These costs are simply for AF1, and DO NOT include any support aircraft, ground transportation or other related travel expenses (hotels, meals, etc.)

Total miles AF1 December 2012 = 11,016
December 2012 cost for AF1 = (11,016 /550 avg. air speed of AF1) * $181,757 p/hr for AF1 = $3,640,427

YTD 2012 cost AF1 – YTD miles: 167,550 domestic 53,899 international = 221,449 miles
(221,449 /550 avg. air speed of AF1) * $181,757 p/hr for AF1 = $73,181,647

That’s right, by my calculations, President Obama spent over $73million dollars of taxpayer money for his private jet (aka Air Force 1). With the costs of additional aircraft to ferry supplies, equipment, etc., plus the costs of accommodations for his staff, Secret Service, and others that may have flown with him, I would guesstimate the cost of all the travel in 2012 was double or more.

Happy New Year!

Now that the election is over, I am hoping that the travel costs will drop considerably. I plan on tracking 2013, and I am thinking of doing a month to month comparison between 2012 and 2013. Thank you all for the positive feedback on this endeavor. I hope that it has been as eye opening to all of you as it was to me.

Keith, THANK YOU for all that you have done for all of us this past year, and for all the words of encouragement that you have provided. Even though the GOP is getting to seem less and less relevant, there is still a fight to be had for the Republic. It is my hope and prayer that all conservatives, classical liberals, libertarians, and those that hold out for the future of the nation continue to talk and preach common sense until the victory is won, or we are all in chains.

Julie Brueckheimer January 1, 2013 at 11:27 am

What a beautiful message at the end, and thank you for all the legwork on O’s travel expenses. Happy New Year.

srdem65 January 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Shock and awe. I don’t think we could stand to hear the true figure of all the travel expenses.

I don’t think we disparage the POTUS travelling to foreign lands to confer with other national leaders, or for the travel to and from his vacations like other presidents.
What bothered me the most, aside from the constant campaigning, were those silly 2 hour visits to a factory in Anytown, USA.

William January 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

CBO just scored the fiscal cliff bill to ADD $4 trillion to the deficit over the next decade. Lead story on Drudge

7MNvM2FOna July 18, 2013 at 8:06 am

215704 223251I dugg some of you post as I thought they were really valuable handy 786617