Obama Travels to Walter Reid to Provide Comfort

by Keith Koffler on December 20, 2012, 2:08 pm

In a late addition to his schedule, President Obama today is traveling to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to comfort wounded warriors being treated there.

The president should be commended for going. Nevertheless, he’ll be there for only about an hour and a half – he might have found a little more time – an he might consider going more often too.

That said, it’s a difficult and important part of any president’s job, and I’m glad he will be there.

Jeff1000 December 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m sure there’s a political reason for him going to Walter Reid. I don’t recall anything he’s done that hasn’t been politically motivated.

Julie Brueckheimer December 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Took the words right from my finger tips. He’s on a campaign to make himself look compassionate to promote himself over the Republicans on the fiscal cliff debate.

GotFreedom December 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Jeff/Julie. . .exactly. . .wow, the media will be fawning all over him now. . .2 weeks in a row he’s shown so much (phony) compassion (puke!!!)

mad as all get out December 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

we must all be thinking the same thing, this guy doesn’t care about anyone but himself. i think that michelle and the girls come in second also. the guy’s a joke!!

Langley Spook December 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Its a “Holiday” “photo op” for Obama before the $4+ Million Hawaii vacation.

Jeff1000 December 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Just wondering Julie, did Keith actually buy into Obama’s latest political game? :-)

Julie Brueckheimer December 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I think you can do a lot reading in between Keith’s line.

Lizzy December 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Again I ask where is Michelle aren’t the military her ‘project’? Seriously
if we’re footing the bill for the extravagant lifestyle no other FLOTUS has
demanded then she’s accountable. Her schedule should be made available or we peasants might thinks she’s spending our money…again.

Langley Spook December 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

If anyone asks about “Flotus” Michelle, besides her scripted ‘media events’, its “Racist”.

Lizzy December 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

And she’s more than happy to advance that narrative isn’t she?

Michael December 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Nope…remember that she’s not “some angry black woman” (even though she certainly is).

RickW December 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Keith, I think the key will be what, if anything, he does for the wounded once he leaves office. He will have to go some to even approach the efforts made by GWB on behalf of these men and women.

srdem65 December 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

You’re right, the Bush family has quietly been very supportive of the wounded and military veterans long after it would have any political benefit to them. And, they showed consideration for those working in and around the WhiteHouse by staying at CampDavid for the long holiday and not dragging everyone 5,000 miles away from their families like the Obamas are doing.

We can expect our government to give the same hands-off treatment to our current veterans as they did to the returning Vietnam vets. No parades, poor VA care (if any), disputing disabilities, so that the care and support of these vets will fall again to their families and the small communities they live in will be the only ones who honor and respect them.

There is no evidence that the Obamas cared one whit or did one selfless thing for the least of us or for anyone connected to our military forces before they became our “First Family’. There are no photos or news items of SenObama’s wife collecting toys for poor children, or of the Senator dishing out hot food at the Salvation Army kitchen in Chicago.
There is no evidence of the Obamas spending Christmas in Hawaii with two dozen of their friends and family prior to living in the WhiteHouse.

Lizzy December 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

There are nice pictures of George and Laura meeting troops in Dallas
at the airport.

Star December 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Bush also seems to enjoy those bike rides.

Lizzy December 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Whatever you think about Bush he and Laura loved the troops
and still do and it’s no act. Bush quit golfing, biked with wounded
warriors. No pictures of Barry golfing with a veteran and I doubt
there ever will be sadly.

RickW December 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm

When we talk with vets, different things come up. Sports, politics, family, health, etc. They always speak respectfully about “The President” but if they are referring to GWB, they smile. Blank stare for current occupant. I’m not a shrink but I get the message.

lc southern December 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I have the same experience when talking with active duty or veterans. The President for GW Bush and blank stare for Obama. Really does say it all.

RickW December 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm

srdem, you’re right but the important thing I see is that more private industry/non-profits are working with these men and women. I overheard at one of our fund raisers (We train prison inmates to raise service dogs, some of which go to PTSD vets) a matronly type lady, probably a doper in the 60′s, saying “We can’t let these men be treated like the Vietnam vets were!” as she wrote a check.

More gets done privately than the Government will ever do. If Obama get the issue of veterans’ care 1/100th of the effort GWB has, I’d be overjoyed. However, I’m not holding my breath.

GotFreedom December 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Obama travels to Walter Reed for “Photo Op”. . .nothing more. . .this man doesn’t have a sincerely compassionate bone in his body. . .everything he does is for political purposes or his own personal gains. Hope these wonderful warriors remember how, conveniently, their ballots to vote for POTUS were lost/went down with a plane load of supplies and that they never actually got to vote for who they would want to be a true Commander in Chief! He is such a phony!

You know, since last week’s tragedy, and now with this bit of news, I started thinking about how I would react if he came to an event that I was participating in (ie, visiting me in the hospital/at a memorial service). . .I honestly feel that I would stand up right in his face and tell him to get the heck away from me and to stop politicizing my greif/sorrow/injury and then turn my back and walk away!

AFVet December 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Well Said.
Why is he even making the effort ?
His minions despise the military, it’s another diversion, a distraction from Benghazi and Fast and Furious.
Your last sentence is how I feel also, however, you would never get the chance.
He doesn’t care about you.

cincycinco December 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Ask the SEALS in Benghazi what he does for our warriors…

SandraC December 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Excellent.

CAR December 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Ditto.

Star December 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I thought Walter Reed (no i) closed.

DeniseVB December 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm
RickW December 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

WOW! Good catch. Seems like a name change for the newer facility. Walter Reed Army was closed, replaced by Walter Reed National.

Darkangel December 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

What happened was, Bethesda Naval Hospital was re-named the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. It’s now a joint Army-Navy command. (Some would call it the military’s biggest janfu, but that’s a matter of opinion.)

And an hour and a half isn’t much at the new Walter Reed. The original one in Northwest was one big square building, with elevators all over the place: you could get around between wards very, very quickly. You probably could have hit every single inpatient ward in the building, and possibly even swing by the Fisher House, in 90 minutes.

Bethesda, not so much. It’s got a lot of different buildings, spread all over the place from heaven to breakfast. Unless they have him on a motorized airport cart or something–and I don’t know if they even have something like that–he’s not going to get to see very much of the place. It’s basically going to be in, out, boom, done, blink and you miss him. An hour and a half at NMMC? That’s chicken feed, especially at Christmas. He’d need at least two hours, and possibly 3 or more, to see everyone he should.

DeniseVB December 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This wasn’t on his public schedule so it should be closed press, right? He should do this often and quietly, most of all with sincerity. MO should too.

Owen_Kellogg December 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm

The trip is just an excuse for him to get out of the house and pick up a few cartons of smokes.

Langley Spook December 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I guess he needed a “Presidential” “Holiday photo-op” before he flies off to Hawaii.

cindylou December 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Is MICHELLE going?

I would say not

Girly1 December 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Looks like this triip was definitely thrown together at the last minute. He only spent one hour and only visited with 10 injured vets. If my math is correct, that’s six minutes each. No mention of any Purple Hearts being awarded during this trip – another oversight.

MOOshelle and the family are leaving tomorrow for Hawaii – guess she was too busy packig to accompany him. Her true colors are really coming out…

JP December 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yep, I guess he’ll make his annual secret trip to see the troops in Afganistan too. Comforter in chief.

sablegsd December 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I think he should stay away. Haven’t they suffered enough? Everyone knows he hates military people, two times the hate if they are white. I would throw a full urinal on him.

cincycinco December 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

Do the WHOLE bedpan, but wait till he opens his mouth to pontificate first. It would be poetic justice for him to get his oral orifice filled with the same thing he’s been dumping on our warriors since he was “elected” President…