Obama Suggests He Was Too Busy for Gun Control

by Keith Koffler on December 19, 2012, 12:18 pm

President Obama today justified his failure to address gun control earlier in his administration by saying he was busy with other issues.

“I’ve been president of the United States,” Obama said defensively in response to a question by ABC’s Jake Tapper, who had asked, “Where were you?” The president asserted he had to deal with priorities like the economy and health care. “I don’t think I’ve been on vacation,” he said

Obama spoke at a White House briefing room press conference staged after he had announced a new task force led by Vice President Biden that will come up with recommendations by January for for addressing the massacre last week in Newtown, Connecticut.

Obama seemed to acknowledge that he might have erred in waiting so long.

“I think all of us have to do some reflection on how we prioritize what we do here in Washington,” he said.

In announcing his new task force, Obama mentioned the need to look at access to mental health services and to address a culture that “glorifies” guns and violence. But he made clear that the panel’s focus will be on gun control, asserting that most Americans support curbs on “assault weapons,” background checks for private gun sales, and restrictions on high capacity ammunition clips.

Obama said that he would move promptly once he gets the recommendations next month, and that he expects Congress to act “in a timely manner” this year to pass new legislation.

The president did not mention any executive orders or other unilateral actions he might take, but he did raise the specter of such things, saying, “I will use all the powers of this office” to curb gun violence.

Obama also sought to reassure Americans that he does not want to ban guns. “I believe that the second amendment guarantees an individual’s right to bear arms,” he said.

GotFreedom December 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Guns don’t kill people. . .people kill people!!! Don’t blame the “object” blame the person who uses the object to kill!

The bottom line is not “gun control” but gun confiscation and the continual destruction of the Constitution!

Chas December 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

Langley Spook December 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

amen.
(see crime rates in Australia)

DeniseVB December 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

So he’s putting Uncle Joe in Charge ? Does anyone in the media do their homework anymore?

From 2008: “Obama ain’t gonna touch my guns” Biden. (video)

Girly1 December 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

That’s really stunning! Hypocrisy at it’s finest….

Susan December 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Calling Ministry of Truth! Calling Ministry of Truth! Down the memory hole to Winston goes this video…

GotFreedom December 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Just some info on Joe B and his stance on gun issues (you really didn’t think anyone with an open mind would head up this witch hunt did you):

I also find it hypocritical of this administration that they would stockpile ammo and yet, “Biden was a leading critic of the Reagan defense buildup, specifically vis a vis the MX missile, the B-l bomber, and the Trident submarine. He criticized Reagan for his “continued adherence” to the goal of developing a missile defense system known as the Strategic Defense Initiative, calling the President’s insistence on the measure “one of the most reckless and irresponsible acts in the history of modern statecraft. ”http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/printindividualProfile.asp?indid=2342

Isn’t it “reckless and irresponsible” for this admin to stockpile ammo, let alone with the National Weather Service and the Social Security Admin???

I also can’t help but wonder if this won’t turn into a more far reaching government assertion. . .not just controlling guns but controlling our lives.

Look into the “1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act”. . .it was a massive bill (considered so for it’s time, not unlike, IMO, Obamacare) and made a variety of offenses “new federal crimes”. . .while it may have some good points, IMO, another piece of legislation like this; written by the most corrupt, constitution-hating admin could be the final nail in the coffin of the Constitution/our rights/liberties IMO. And guess who was at the forefront of this. . .Joe B!

jerry December 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

What do you mean “where have I been?”…….

I have been to hawaii three times, martha’s vineyard, Europe, Asia…..

I have been to parties, taking money from rich fools who think I was joking when I said I was going to raise their taxes.

I have been to the golf course, checked out other golf courses, been to places looking for hot vacation spots for Michelle.

What do you mean “Where have I been?”

Michael December 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

“I don’t think I’ve been on vacation,” he said.

“And speaking of vacation, I wish that Republicans would help get this fiscal cliff deal done so that Michelle and I can get our a**es out to Hawaii”.

Star December 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Yes, those little children would want us to be on vacation. This is making me sick!

cincycinco December 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Well, Mr. Obama, let’s wave our Socialist control freak wand, and pretend like we can wish all the guns (except those guarding ValJar, natch) away forever. Did we solve the mass murder problem?

Oklahoma City Federal buliding

Lives lost – 169

Children lost – 19

Guns used – 0

Ban fertilizer? What would Washington do then?

World Trade Center (1)

Lives lost – 6

Injured – 1,042

Guns used – 0

Ok, then, let’s ban rental trucks.

World trade center (2), Pentagon, and Flight 93

Lives lost – 2,977

Minus terrorist lives lost – (-19)

Guns used – 0

You can cut your box open with a fork, right?

But we’re talking about schools, aren’t we? Well, there’s this one;

Bath, Michigan School Massacre. 1927.

Lives lost – 45

Children lost – 38

Injured – 58

Guns used – 0

Oopsie. That doesn’t fit the narrative.

Well, it’s just us Americans, isn’t it? They do things better in Japan, where even swords are outlawed, right?

Tokyo Subway Attack

Lives lost – 12

Injured – 5,000 +

Guns used – 0

Let’s ban poison gas? Oh, wait…

“Come on CC, that’s too old!”

Well, how about…

Ikeda elementary, Osaka Japan.

Lives lost – 8 (all children)

Injured – 21

Guns used – 0

We could go on, but you get the point. If someone wants to kill – even kill a LOT – guns are hardly necessary, or even the best way to do so. They certainly COULD have stopped or shortened these incidents significantly, though – if properly applied.

It’s not the tool, its the hand that wields it. Stop trying to disarm the law abiding and deal with the perpetrators instead. You only stregthen the lawless by passing such laws.

You may even be able to do so WITHOUT overthrowing Constitutional law, if you’d only try. But it’s not REALLY about the GUNS, is it…?

DeniseVB December 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Great roundup of the FACTS, thanks cincy. All horrific acts :(

movedtothefarm December 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm

good details.

I don’t know what unfortunate attack happened with our country but I was made to show my drivers license when I bought the traditional Xmas crackers.

RickW December 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Given Dear Leader’s previous lack of attention to task force recommendations or even his own Jobs Council, we have little to fear from this Proclamation. Given Biden’s involvement (Can you think of ANYONE better suited to review mental health care needs?), they will spin their wheels. The much larger danger to the Second Amendment is legislation soon to be proposed by Sen Feinstein et al.

gracepmc December 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Let me be clear, every legal and licensed gun owner in America is responsible for the tragedy at the Sandy Hook School in Ct. Rahm Emanuel and Mayor Bloomberg are not responsible for the murders that occur inexplicably in their cities. And finally, no one in my Administration, including myself, Hillary, Eric and Leon, is responsible for the gun running and deaths that occurred as a result of Fast and Furious or Benghazi. President Revenge

RickW December 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

LMAO……Love it, Grace

cincycinco December 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Close, but you forgot a couple of items.

“And, as always, everything bad is George Bush’s fault, and you’re a racist if you don’t agree with me.” – The Angry Caliph

Other than that, gracepmc, you have it pretty well covered!

Keep Honkin I'm Reloding December 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

and she forgot to include…”because it’s the right thing to do.”

Susan December 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Well done, Grace.

Langley Spook December 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I own an “Assult Rifle” (which can fire 60+ rounds per minute) I also own a “Corvette” (which goes 200+ mph)
Both are over-the-top, and can ‘kill’ people. Why is one “legal”? (Corvette) yet the other one (Assult Rifle) is illegal?

Keep Honkin I'm Reloding December 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Because Government Motors now makes the Corvette

Dave December 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

“THOSE WHO BEAT THEIR SWORDS INTO PLOWSHARES USUALLY END UP PLOWINGFOR THOSE WHO KEPT THEIR SWORDS”
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

THIS PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL.

AZ Granny December 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I thought Obama told us he could multitask. Why then, couldn’t he work on gun control from the golf course or Martha’s Vineyard, because we know from his daily schedule that he certainly has been absent from the Oval Office. And his reassurance that he doesn’t want to ban guns does not reassure me at all.

Keep Honkin I'm Reloding December 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

“I don’t think I’ve been on vacation…”

100+ rounds of golf beg to differ.

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me.

Otis Driftwood December 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm

“I will use all the powers of this office” to curb gun violence. Well gee Mr. O, you had 4 previous years to work it out, even 2 with your best buddy in charge of Chicago. Chicago and Detroit are out of control. And now with the VP running the task force you can bet he ups his proposed spending budget to make these changes happen. Oh wait, there is no budget.

Just2old December 20, 2012 at 6:45 am

Gun law violation prosecutions are down 45% under obama according to Rush.

Lisa December 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I laughed out loud when he said he hasn’t been on vacation!! Oh yes he has! And, if you can’t handle everything going on, you shouldn’t be president!!!

Outspoken Red December 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I can’t believe he had the audacity to say, “I don’t think I’ve been on vacation.” What a freaking idiot–that’s all he ever does is vacation!!

Darkangel December 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

More 5-14 year olds die in motor vehicle accidents than die of homicide by firearm. More also die of drowning, as well as the flu/pneumonia, to say nothing of pediatric cancer.

I’d also be willing to bet that more elementary-age children in the US have been killed by falling furniture than by guns in schools over the last ten years.

Newtown shocked because it was a freak event–in other words, an outlier. Are we now to lose our right to self-defense over a tragic event that, statistically, may never happen again in our lifetimes?

Rushed legislation in the face of a freak event usually has unintended consequences. NO ONE who advocated for the creation of the TSA could possibly have foreseen the phrase “don’t touch my junk” entering the American popular lexicon a decade later.

Let’s hope–admittedly, perhaps against hope–that a similar rush to make sausage does not recur here.

Robin H December 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

“I don’t think I’ve been on vacation.”

What, he can’t remember? Too many drugs will cloud your brain.

CiscoKid December 20, 2012 at 11:58 am

If Mr. Tapper had been prepared, he should have noted the number of times Dear Leader has been on vacation and on the golf course.
Leaving for a fund raiser in Vegas after Benghazi ?