A Butcher Carves the Turkey

by Keith Koffler on November 22, 2012, 3:39 pm

I realize this is a political website, but I love this video and just wanted to share it with you all today. I thought, really, who’s going to object if I put it up?

Every year before carving the turkey I watch this video to remind myself how an expert does it. You’ll see, it eliminates all the struggling and sawing and will result in a great platter of turkey meat.

And your family will think you’re some kind of turkey carving genius. And that can’t be bad.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

barkley pontree November 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Keith. Hope you and your family have a nice day.

Peace, the turkey pardoned last year by Obama, was euthanized yesterday, apparently the first victim of Obamacare, but certainly won’t be the last stupid turkey euthanized by Obamacare.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

Star November 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

I thought they went to live in some park until they died two weeks later.

srdem65 November 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm

That’s an easy to follow procedure for carving up the bird.

My favorite teaching chef was the late JuliaChild. She would start explaining in her distinctive voice what she was going to do the bird ,all the while smacking the bird with one hand and poking it with her knife in the other hand. She’d flip that bird over and slice away, flip it again, slice some more until it was all cut up. She was a treasure.

Guillermo Grande November 23, 2012 at 8:50 am

Got her cook book last year for Christmas. What a treasure to read. Used her recipe for scalloped potatoes…simple and elegant. You can search for her on you tube to see some of the classics. Enjoy!

Star November 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

Even the SNL versionn was weirdly hilarious–her finger spewing blood as she trilled away…Oooo, this is not good…something like that…

da_truth36 November 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving!

Owen_Kellogg November 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Is there also a video on carving up a possum?

(Ever notice how you end up with 20 lbs of grease off a 10-lb possum?)

Star November 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

We had ham, but bless your heart with the road kill. :-).

Jeff1000 November 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

Too bad the New York Times isn’t able to recognize the political turkeys and carve them up for the public’s edification.

Keith Koffler November 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Nice.

Robin H November 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Okay, I watched a few minutes of that. There is no way to do what he’s done with a hot turkey!

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with great food and family!

James Crawford November 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

No discussion of Thanksgiving Turkey would be complete without mention of the hillarious Palin turkey pardon video.

Hilohaw November 24, 2012 at 12:07 am

No objection here, Keith! Thanks! Wish I had watched this yesterday. I already carve the breast meat the way he advises, but I like the way he did the thighs. Now, to bookmark this somewhere for next year…

Rod November 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Keith – saw this after the Thanksgiving meal but used it the next day to debone the turkey – it worked great. Thanks for posting – carving on Thanksgiving won’t ever be the same…