Republicans are threatening to actually not cave in to President Obama’s demand that they increase income tax rates for the high income earners.
Recognizing the peril of heading over the Fiscal Cliff, the White House has drawn up a secret list of taxes it will agree to that subtly target the wealthy and that would be acceptable to the president. These items, White House officials believe, could form the basis of a deal.
What follows are, culled form a more extensive list, the top ten secret White House ideas for raising revenues from the rich.
They include new taxes on . . .
1. Spanish lessons taken to improve communication with the housekeeper.
2. Purchases of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
3. Anyone who has stayed at a hotel where Michelle Obama has vacationed.
4. Anyone who plays golf regularly without taxpayers picking up the tab for chauffeured transportation via motorcade to and from the golf course.
5. Anyone who voted for Jon Huntsman.
6. Purchases of folk music by people who are not folks.
7. Anyone named Sheldon Adelson.
8. Anyone who says “yes” in a restaurant when asked if they’d prefer bottled instead of tap.
9. Any meal that includes a palate cleanser.
10. Anyone who runs a profitable small business and uses a government-paved road to get to it each day.
Are there any other such tax proposals that you are aware of?