Des Moines Register Endorses Romney

by Keith Koffler on October 28, 2012, 12:56 pm

In a surprise, the Des Moines Register endorsed Mitt Romney for president.

The endorsement could be important in a key swing state. It was viewed as crucial enough by the Obama campaign that President Obama recently spent a half hour on the phone with Register editors trying to convince them to support him. Romney met with them personally.

The Register has not endorsed a Republican since it backed Richard Nixon in 1972.

Just2old October 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Woo Hoo! Apparently the Register is more intelligent than I first thought. I think this will make a difference to the small number of swing voters left. It could be enough to put Iowa in Romney’s column. Go Mitt!

Star October 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Maybe seeing him in his little president jacket at FEMA spouting his usual blah-blah will remind people how four other Americans asked for and needed his help.

Star October 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Him, Obama–so far as I know, Mitt has not developed his own logo yet or will ever.

65andcounting October 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

The liberal heads are spinning about this endorsement. Stephanie Cutter nearly split a gut on ABC saying it “didn’t seem to be based at all in reality.” Oh honey, I’ve got news for you. It is reality and it’s about to bite you in the rear.

Star October 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Good old Sputter–where has she been lately? Since she put Big Bird on the pill, we have not heard much out of her.

Lizzy October 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I think Ms Cutter needs a really big blue pill and some quiet time with
her thought.

Star October 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I believe I said they would not–I was wrong and glad to be wrong!

Guillermo Grande October 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Of course Howard Dean was on saying endorsements really don’t matter unless it is down ticket or local. So to recap any good news for a republican isn’t really news. Everybody get that? Back on board… nothing to see here. Keep it moving…

DeniseVB October 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Edorsements are important to me when they switch from Obama 2008, to Romney 2012. :D

AFVET October 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The busy Prez spends a half an hour on the phone with the Register.
Wow !
I would love to see that transcript !.
No threats I suppose.

Girly1 October 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Girly1 October 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Just last week Obama was billing himself as “Iowa’s Adoped Son”. Guess the Register is returning him to the adoption agency – too funny!

Sadie October 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Foreign adoption agency? ; )

barkley pontree October 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I don’t know why that struck me as so funny, but the line about not endorsing a republican since Nixon had that “da da dum” mystery sounding background music sound to it.

Secondly, if a paper endorsed Nixon, Carter twice, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton twice, Gore, Kerry, and Obama; it’s not exactly a stellar track record of intelligence to be bragging about.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

Susan October 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The paper still defends Barky’s stimulus program, like it did any good for those of us who aren’t union workers. They also try to peddle that phony baloney theme that it was the Republicans who rebuffed his offer to talk, when they all know it was him who told the Republicans “I won.” They make it clear they are not backing down on their liberal beliefs, but I salute the Des Moines Register for putting America ahead of party.

Star October 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Yes, the old talking pts die hard…Heard from governors, who should know better, solemnly repeating how Romney wants the failed policies of the past so the evil rich can get richer and women can be put in their place, etc etc. How can they do with with a straight face? Over and over… It’s really quite appalling…I cannot respect these people.

Star October 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I wish JUST ONCE when someone started up about how Romney does not have a plan to control costs, someone would say–it isn’t up to him–this would have to be passed by Congress, it will take horsetrading, and he HAS mentioned that many things would be looked at–mortgage deduction, cap gains, etc–but it is not UP to him alone. And–if no specifics have been given, which is not true–how come they KNOW the math does not add up–what math? On what?

creeper October 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

“Surprise” doesn’t begin to cover it. We Iowans are shocked.

I’d bet the farm this hands Iowa to Romney.

cindylou October 28, 2012 at 5:55 pm

This is OT but has nobama said anything about the hurricane?

Sadie October 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I haven’t heard a peep out of the chicken sh*t. The county I live in (outside of Philly) started robo-calling today with a warning to have 3 days of food and water. I’ve got extra batteries for my NOAA weather radio.
For all of you in harm’s way: if the grid goes out, remember you can’t pump gas or use a credit card – keep some cash on hand.

mo1 October 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm

The Red Cross has an app for I phones and Androids that you can use to find out what shelters are open in your area, among other things. You can download it from the Red Cross website.

Sadie October 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I think the shelters opened at noon today in my area. I am on the 11th floor of a highrise. I am not worried about flooding, but the winds. I just duck tapped floor to ceiling sliding glass doors – if they blow out, I’ll be huddled on the 11th floor hallways. I noticed a lot of neighbors still have unsecured balcony furniture and even some small plants. Idiots.

Just2old October 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

G-d please keep us all safe. We certainly can’t depend on this government to do it. Like we’ve always done, we help our neighbors and ourselves. For those of us in harms way, stay safe and good luck!

mo1 October 28, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Earlier this afternoon, maybe around 3pm, The NY T channels covered him saying he had met with FEMA and everything was under control The FEMA people were there. Looked like a conference of some sort.

Sadie October 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Maybe he’ll fly to Las Vegas before the storm hits and report to America in the same way he has with Benghazi.

cindylou October 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Stay safe all !

Nina Murphy October 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

So did the Daily Breeze endorse Romney with a large headline. The Breeze covers El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Torrance, California.

Moe October 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm

testing

JimK October 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

The preference cascade is picking up speed. Soon it will be a tsunami.

cincycinco October 30, 2012 at 8:04 am

You think THIS is weird, the Cincinnati Enquieror actually endosed Romney! This NEVER happens, it is usually just a little left of Pravda in its endorsements!

Of course, on the same page, they endorse Obama’s ultra-socialist tool Sherrod Brown, but it’s still major for them to actually even pretend to face away from the annointed one!! Maybe it’s a strategy to get Dems worried enough to actually show up for the second and third vote, like in ’08?