Obama: Romney is a “Bullshitter”

by Keith Koffler on October 25, 2012, 12:25 pm

President Obama reached a new plateau in his plan to diminish the presidency, apparently referring to his opponent, Gov. Mitt Romney, as a “bullshitter.”

From Mike Allen’s “Playbook” this morning in Politico:

FIRST LOOK – Rolling Stone cover, “Obama and the Road Ahead: The Rolling Stone Interview,” by Douglas Brinkley: “We arrived at the Oval Office for our 45-minute interview … on the morning of October 11th. … As we left the Oval Office, executive editor Eric Bates told Obama that he had asked his six-year-old if there was anything she wanted him to say to the president. … [S]he said, ‘Tell him: You can do it.’ Obama grinned. … ‘You know, kids have good instincts,’ Obama offered. ‘They look at the other guy and say, “Well, that’s a bullshitter, I can tell.’”

This could be the final straw for a lot of independents.

{ 1 trackback }

Jon October 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Takes one to lie about knowing one I guess. 12 days and counting.

regina October 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

A.J. October 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm

If I had a straw left, this would have taken it out!!!!

Star October 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Yeah, this game of Zenga is long over…

Sadie October 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Go figure a comment like that from a guy that’s got BS for brains. I think he’s got a bull chip on his shoulder – one of them must have dropped from those ears. ; )

William October 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

He’s right! Kids have fantastic insticts! Which, of course, brings up the question of why we bother to spend so much time, money, and effort to rear and educate them if they have such great instincts.

FLDemFem October 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

For the answer to that, read “Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It will explain everything.

JP October 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Truly a stunning comment from a President of the United States about his competitor. The size of his ego is beyond any human being I have had an association with. How can 50% of the people in this country want to re-elect this disgusting specimen?

SandraC October 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

“How can 50% of the people in this country want to re-elect this disgusting specimen?”

How true, how true! My better (and mo’ patient!) half calls him “the skinny lizzard”….

Wigglesworth October 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Projection!

Mrs Compton October 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Classy.

William October 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Also, anyone else notice how non-sequiter that is? The little girl offers a word of encouragement which he interprets as a slam against his opponent. The two are not analagous.

A.J. October 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Didn’t notice, but boy are you correct!!!!

A.J. October 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Oh, bye the way, that “boy” reference was NOT racial code! In fact, I STILL have NOT received my Conservative Code Book (and Decoder Ring).

barkley pontreee October 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

that’s okay, watch this:

boy, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

couldn’t resist. works on so many levels.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

A.J. October 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Talk about the black SMOKING pot!!

DeniseVB October 25, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I noticed. Also I think Sasha is a lot older than 6 now ? Shoddy reporting too ;)

DeniseVB October 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Oooops, though it said Obama turned to his daughter ? Bad reading comprehension :(

JustBob October 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Spot on.

Just2old October 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Ding ding ding!!

Brad October 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Chicago politics in its finest.

Anonna October 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Ugh.

Chas October 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I know my 6 year old grandson, calls people BS’ers all the time. Obummer must go.

Lizzy October 25, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Real role model isn’t he doesn’t he have children? He and Michelle would
milk that line for $$$$ if a Romney or a surrogate had said that. Come on
Nov 6 he can’t be gone soon enough.

Corey October 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Poor, poor Barry. You can go ahead and reserve that Uhaul now.

Star October 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Pretty low rent all right. Not surprised, tho.

srdem65 October 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What has happened to journalists? How is every utterance, every misprounounced word, every awkward turn of a phrase or as in this case, the POTUS using gutter speak in what he thought was a private moment something that needs to be publicized.

I’m not apologizing for MrO’s crude statement, I think it’s more than rude and inappropriate for him to say such a thing. I don’t know why he would say such a thing when discussing a 6yr old child’s intuition, other than he’s a typical Chicago politician who never understood the gravitas of his current office.

Every since this campaign season started, we’ve been bombarded by the MSM looking, seeking desperately for some ‘gotcha’ to smear a candidate. If it’s not some middle-aged male trying to understand abortion or rape, it’s the taken out of context line that makes the candidate sound stupidly out of touch with reality.

gobnait October 25, 2012 at 8:02 pm

While I understand your point, I think it’s important for the American people to know exactly what contempt and disrespect this man has for mere mortals. His smooth, varnished faced is cracking like Turkish Taffy on a sidewalk and his true nature is being revealed. He is NOT the articulate, profoundly intellectual leader that he would have you believe. He is a low-rent frat-boy who is no more qualified to be president now than he was four years ago.

WMP October 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I don’t like the gutter politics. I’ve said all along that it is rude and crude. I am not naive about what is likely said behind closed doors and while SRDEM may be correct – why is it necessary to publicize this – in this instance I think it validates who Barack Obama is – he’s a jock and pretty darned arrogant.

AFVET October 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

He feels that he is immune to his own stupidity.

MarjoJimbo October 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Very, very low class behavior.

I am not naive enough to believe that he never swears, but this goes beyond acceptable.

Langley Spook October 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm

wow. Good thing the “MSM” will not report this…

Langley Spook October 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm

BTW, WHEN Obama loses Nov. 6 will that Rolling Stone issue be a collector’s item? -lol

Mr. T. October 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm

More likely to be seen at garage sales – 10 Cents or Best Offer!

Mari October 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm

But you gotta love Drudge – top of the fold with a picture of a “mean” Obama pointing a finger (had a lot to choose from) and the caption “He’s a bullshitter”. Until you read the article, you might think the headline is talking about the current POTUS.

If the shoe fits…

Susan October 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Noticed that too. Matt Drudge does know how to tweak the left. Sure will be good to have the adults back in charge after this election.

Lizzy October 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm

The Daily Telegraph has a really snarky pic of his smug face after he voted. Seriously that is one vile fellow 12 and gone please.

William October 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Keith, instead of “reached a new plateau”, don’t you mean “reached the nadir” (e.g. a new low)

A.J. October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

How ’bout a “Leau Plateau”? (God I love it when I speak French)!!

Mike Lester October 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm

This is fake wrestling stupid.

Brandt Hardin October 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm

If Obama loses the election, you can blame/thank the Right for bamboozling him. How is it ethical that an entire news network questions the President’s citizenship for four years to create doubt in voters while a fringe element of the far right demonizes and degrades him? Most of this is financed by the rich who want to keep their stranglehold on the flow of wealth in our country. Watch the white hands apply the Blackface to our first African-American President at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/10/bamboozling-obama.html

KmB October 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm

No Brandt you can blame it on incompetence of the man. BTW do you target Bob Woodward for racism for his scathing indictment in his book, I believe he said the President was disengaged. Blasphemous I tell you.

Sadie October 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Good grief. It’s more of the GWB syndrome that morphed into racism.

AZ Granny October 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

My tolerance level is at zero for Zero. He’s not witty and clever, he’s a childish, arrogant jerk.

Did you hear the interview with the father of Tyrone Woods? He’d like to know who gave the order not to rescue our people in Libya. It’s a good question. I’d like to know the answer too. His son fought nearly 7 hours, waiting to be rescued. I bet Woods fought with all his might, thinking, hoping and praying help would come at any time, but it never did. It’s chilling that people in the Situation Rooms at the WH, State Dept, Pentagon and where ever watched them die as military were staged for a rescue, but never received the final order to go.

Mr. T. October 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Agree on your assessment of Chairman Zero…arrogant and jerk are the words that most often come to mind when I think of him.

And yet, with this Benghazi nightmare getting worse every day, what is AP’s headline this afternoon?

“Obama pressures Romney to break his Mourdock ties”

Yup, back to the war on women. Disgusting.

AZ Granny October 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Good grief. I’m sick of this war on women too. If Obama were truly concerned about women, his female staff would receive equal pay instead of being paid 18% less than males.

RT October 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Yeah, and without the sexual favors and what not. What a pig…

You know you can’t trust any democrat around woman and expect them to behave. Give ‘em some power and put them in the White House and, well, you get the picture.

PS. I hear dry cleaning is now done onsite…

Susan October 25, 2012 at 7:31 pm

The interview was heartbreaking, AZ Granny. Hillary blamed the movie and Obama couldn’t even look at the father…

gracepmc October 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Well then Granny I’m sure you’ll love the new “first time” ad. It’s disgusting. I am sure the Obama girls are real proud of the value their daddy places on the privilege of voting in the US. Ever since I heard they watched those 4 Americans being murdered and never executed a command to assist Obama, Hillary, Panetta walk daily in their blood. This Administration is incompetent and immoral.

RT October 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Oh my, what a huge story… A game changer? Um, no.

Keep digging. I heard a rumor that Mitt is getting an early chance at running something global – you know, kind of like going to the driving range before your round of golf. Working out the kinks before the real thing…

Wonder if we’ll give him the chance?

Always On Watch October 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Oh, how charming! The President of the United States is setting a language role model. [heavy sarcasm]

Pity those of us who are teachers. Now we’ll have to put up with even more trash talking from our students.

Not Nabob October 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Slang is the norm in this Obamanation. Isn’t it just precious when a kid of say 8 sputters filth from their mouth.

Darkangel October 26, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’m surprised no one has raised the question about what sort of father this man is, if his grade-school-age child can be so fluent in the language of the gutter.

And if that the sort of father, what then the sort of leader?

Robin October 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Charming.

tim October 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm

What a likable guy…

Anonna October 26, 2012 at 8:51 am

I head today there is a tv ad in which BO calls Romney a bullsh*tter. Is that true? Anyone know?

Also heard Heraldo Rivera (Jerry Rivers) talking about how the murder of the Ambassador is being politicized. What can they mean by that? If this isn’t the time to talk about and investigate Stevens’ death, when is?

Blair White October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

Rather than grades and birth certificates I would like to see the CT scan for Obama. Any person this delusional usually has a history of problems and in the scans I see related to trials there are tell tale signs caused by pathology and substance usage.

When I was in a meeting with junior Senator Obama in about 2007 he was clueless and the butt of staffer jokes about how lazy he was. Seems that he kept up the good work.

The Original October 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

I am so ashamed of the man that he is. He is not what I want in OUR WH. I want a real President. Not one who plays at it.

Arthur KIng October 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The book, “On Bullshit” , by Harry G. Franfurt ( Publisher: Princeton University Press) is rather relevant. Take a look at
According to the description:
“One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share. But we tend to take the situation for granted. Most people are rather confident of their ability to recognize bullshit and to avoid being taken in by it. So the phenomenon has not aroused much deliberate concern. We have no clear understanding of what bullshit is, why there is so much of it, or what functions it serves. And we lack a conscientiously developed appreciation of what it means to us. In other words, as Harry Frankfurt writes, “we have no theory.”

Frankfurt, one of the world’s most influential moral philosophers, attempts to build such a theory here. With his characteristic combination of philosophical acuity, psychological insight, and wry humor, Frankfurt proceeds by exploring how bullshit and the related concept of humbug are distinct from lying. He argues that bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant. Frankfurt concludes that although bullshit can take many innocent forms, excessive indulgence in it can eventually undermine the practitioner’s capacity to tell the truth in a way that lying does not. Liars at least acknowledge that it matters what is true. By virtue of this, Frankfurt writes, bullshit is a greater enemy of the truth than lies are.”

Romney, a master of flip-flop and flapdoodle, is a bullshitter nonpareil.

garage door installation las vegas October 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Well that’s really great and I appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.