Obama: American Deaths in Libya “Not Optimal”

by Keith Koffler on October 18, 2012, 5:40 pm

President Obama today went into human robot mode and ran straight into a major gaffe during his get-out-the-vote event appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, saying the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans was “not optimal.”

Well, that’s certainly “affirmative.”

After the show, Obama campaign aides immediately escorted the president back to the laboratory where they gave him new batteries and a complete tune up.

Here’s the exchange:

Jon Stewart: “Is part of the investigation helping the communication between these divisions? Not just what happened in Benghazi, but what happened within. Because I would say, even you would admit, it was not the optimal response, at least to the American people, as far as all of us being on the same page.”

POTUS: “Here’s what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal. We’re going to fix it. All of it. And what happens, during the course of a presidency, is that the government is a big operation and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it. Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.”

Yes, hopefully he can optimize things a little better.

So much for Obama’s compassion advantage over Romney.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

KmB October 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I heard that OFA in Chicago put out a Missing Teleprompter notice this morning. I hope the FBI, CIA and Seal Team Six can get on this right away.

Keith Koffler October 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I thought so. Terrible.

slconfidential October 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

They are on it. Ignoring the death threats against Romney. Equipment more important than a human life.

slconfidential October 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm

“one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear “…………I am clueless

WMP October 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Profound! Whew – glad he’s on it or whatever “it” is.

Mr. T. October 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

C3PO-bama!

Thomas October 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

HE IS SO FULL OF SHIT

Susan October 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hold cold, heartless, and detached he sounds…

“If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.” Bet that really provides comfort and solace to the families of these four men. Doubt he even remembers the names of the “bumps in the road”. Try to remember they have names you worthless excuse for a commander in chief… Chris Stevens, Glen Doherty, Sean Smith, and Tyrone Woods.

Susan October 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Should be How rather than Hold.

William October 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Do we know if Pat Smith has been told the truth of how her son died, yet?

Susan October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

No, she hasn’t. If this administration has any say in it, she never will.

Anonna October 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm

” … and any given time something screws up. And you make sure that you find out what’s broken and you fix it.”

Kinda hard to “fix” dead people.

Sadie October 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Anonna, I got here late to comment, but your words were exactly what I was thinking.

Martha Benton October 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

A.a.a.a. “And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.” Does this mean he has now declared himself America’s legal dictator? I thought we were having an election November 6th to decide that. Arrogant SOB isn’t he?

William October 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

He’s made it very clear how he makes his decisions on “war, peace, security, and protecting Americans.” He consults musicians, actors, comedians, talk-show hosts, and other members of the entertainment industry. His security agencies? Why consult them? He reads their memos.

Minor quibble: aren’t “security” and “protecting Americans” the same thing?

Girly1 October 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wouldn’t it be nice if Romney could somehow work this little ‘do-over’ into the debate on Monday night? Americans need to know just how cold and callous this psychopath is in real life. He is a sociopath – devoid of conscience and emotion. Scarier than hell!

MT for re-redistribution October 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

But remember, he’s “got your back”?

cindy lou October 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

ya so he can shove a knife into it

ElmerF October 18, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Combine it with him calling them just bumps in the Road.

Mr. T. October 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

This goes hand-in-hand with his “tough day” comment in Vegas…what a heartless, soulless jerk.

srdem65 October 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm

See? see? how fooled we are? He didn’t answer the question, but gave a meanandering answer that promotes himself.

The question; “….the optimal RESPONSE….” was not answered. MrStewart was referring to what was told to Americans about the Bengazi attacks and how the different agencies responded to it.
He didn’t ask what the POTUS was going to do in the future, or whether our security was at risk.

Girly1 October 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

“Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans. And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.

Here’s what the American people know: Obama is a pathological liar, a coward, and a morally bankrupt megaolomaniac who has always put hinself before the country. And, no, we do not want another four years of your Presidency, jerk!

AZ Granny October 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I don’t need Obama to tell me how he makes his decisions. We already know, and his decisions aren’t based on anything reasonable or logical. It’s all about the O. He does not care about anyone else.

MT for re-redistribution October 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Support of the lobster industry is first priority!

AZ Granny October 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Absolutely! What would Mooch do without her lobster!

Chas October 18, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I hope he keeps saying things like this. Every time he does, he shows he is further and further out of touch with pretty much everything. Get rid of him on the 6th, and between now and then, lets get people fired up about the Senate races too. Besides The White House, we need to get the Senate back from Grandpa Reid as well!.

Chris Daniele October 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

How many concrete examples do we need before we can reliably describe his character? When 30 Americans, including 22 members of Seal Team Six were lost:

this was the response;
“Their deaths,” the president said, “are a reminder of the extraordinary sacrifices made by the men and women of our military…”

A reminder. A REMINDER.

Are you getting angry yet?

movintothefarm October 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Again WTF is wrong with him?

cindy lou October 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

“Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes, and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans.”

This sentence makes no sense-America’s security comes? I didnt hear a first in there

cindy lou October 18, 2012 at 8:13 pm

lol @ batteries it could be true!

Just2old October 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I think the Engergizer Bunny just croaked!

dave October 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

early on he described the 4 deaths as “a bump in the road”

Scottso October 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

not an “optimal” “bump in the road”?

TimG October 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

Not optimal is when you get a flat tire, when people are murdered, most of us humans refer to that event as a TRAGEDY!

Conservative61 October 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

If four American deaths is not optimal, what, pray-tell, would be? I’m having trouble wrapping my feeble brain around this. That Obama doesn’t care about anyone other than himself is apparent, but this comment seems to go beyond the pale.

Mari October 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Oh Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! I thought he was an intelligent,educated man! Does he know what optimal means? Idiot!!!

On the other hand, I love Keith’s commentary on this!

barkley pontree October 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I wonder how many americans being killed would be optimal to Obama. probably around 80 million.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

sablegsd October 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

So is the delusional psychotic narcissistic muslim commie now able to raise the dead? Because that’s the only damn way to “fix this.” I hate him with a purple passion, the same color of his freakazoid lips.

JustSaying12 October 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Maybe someone should the president the difference between getting killed and murdered. When someone dies in an car crash, they are killed. When some dies in a premeditated terrorist attack, its murder! Geez I thought this guy was a lawyer who loved to split hairs over meaning of words.

And the fact that Stewart just sits there and nods like a chimp is even worse. And the guy wonders why his audience hasn’t grown in ten years even though the douches in Hollywood drool him every chance they get and nowbgets gisbass handed to him in the ratings by Tosh even though Tosh.0 production costs are nothing compared to Stewart since he has like 40 writers for him.

I try to be even handed and see both sides in stuff but this sent me over the edge. I’m really pissed off at Obama

JustSaying12 October 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

And if I’m pissed at him who tries to be respectful and rational, Obama might be in some serious ass trouble!

Mr. T. October 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

But didn’t you see AP’s headline this afternoon??

“A night of humor – after day of campaign criticism”

My question is…what the hell is so funny about anything right now – especially this Libya mess!

I’m very pissed, too, and am really looking forward to November 6th.

JustSaying12 October 19, 2012 at 2:37 am

Well the AP is in the bag for Obama like 85% of the press is. That is why I am extremely careful on who and what I read which doesn’t mean I just watch Fox news is all day since I understand they have an agenda too (Personally, I watch only a couple Cable News shows for anchors I respect and even then I just skimped through when they have a guest I like on).

I agree though that none of this is funny even though Obama is finding plenty of time to go on venues like Stewart to yulk it up. I been saying for years on how annoyed I am that politicans go on these stupid ass shows. I applaud Romney for not going on any of these lately and instead send his wife which is the way it should be (send the spouse or surrogant on). He sounded absolutely stupid on “Kelly & Michael” talking about Snooki, Honey Boo Boo and his favorite stuff. If I were a politican, I never EVER go on these shows especially when the world is burning down which is right now. If I were a poltiican and someone asked me a question about pop culture, I go: “I honestly do not have a clue on who you are talking about. I am too busy trying to save the world”. :)

Sorry about the rant but it really honks me off when stuff like this happens LOL!

RickW October 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Each time I see or read one of these pronouncements, I think that Rod Serling and Gene Roddenberry combined their sci fi/horror skills to create this……creature?

Debbie October 18, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I think Obama believes, “We the People” are just gnats in his buttermilk!
I say, and have been saying: IMPEACH OBAMA!!
Lies Lies and more Lies!
My vote is for Romney/Ryan!

Steve October 18, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I watched the DS tonight. Stewart led him in to the “optimal” comment with his question. Let’s be adults. Nothing to see here.

JustSaying12 October 19, 2012 at 2:29 am

How in the world did he lead him to it? You never called the death of 4 people especially your fellow countrymen who were murdered “optimal”. And it’s not just that 1 line. It’s a whole entire statement that sounded unemotional, uncaring and most scary, clueless on how to proceed or being honest on what happen with Stewart just nodding like a chimp since he is campaigning for him.

And let’s face it: This is not the first time Obama has come off bad dealing with deaths of American service people. If this was the first time he did it, I let it slide. But it wasn’t. He acted very similiar on several occassions like this including the NAVY SEAL helicopter tragedy. I understand the guy is not a very big fan of people but come on now, show a little emotion…show a little humanity, show even a bit of anger. Instead, he gives very lawyered and robotic answers that frankly I gotten sick and tired of.

LPG October 19, 2012 at 6:04 am

Answer me this, regarding the last part of his statement: “Whatever else I have done throughout the course of my presidency the one thing that I’ve been absolutely clear about is that America’s security comes,” — comes what? First, last, what?? And then the sentence continues with “and the American people need to know exactly how I make decisions when it comes to war, peace, security, and protecting Americans.” Yea, I think we’ve got a pretty good idea about that, but maybe he wants to make himself “exactly clear” about our security which is frightening coming out of his mouth. And then he says “And they will continue to get that over the next four years of my presidency.” Is that saying we’re going to get more of the same or are we going to see how “absolutely, exactly clear” he is about “fundamentally transforming America” and “finishing the job he started?”

Just2old October 19, 2012 at 6:55 am

Keith nailed it:

“new batteries and a complete tune up”

Simeral King October 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ft Hood shooting was labled “work place violence”.
Benghazi terror attack murdering ambassador and 3 Americans will be called what? So far, Obama says these are bumps in the road, not optimal…and they were “killed” (not tortured/murdered/terror attack on 9/11 anniversary as was the case).

Romney/Ryan 2012 for men who will actually take their job seriously.

Lizzy October 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Remember when the shooting that injured Gabby Giffords happened
the whole country ground to a halt flags lowered and didn’t Obama
address the nation later? Also wasn’t Big Sis ready to call it Domestic
Terror? My how times have changed. I don’t think Obama sees the
military he’s so out of touch and they’re not JayZ or any of his cool
friends he can relate to very sad.

born and raised in michigan October 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Here in Michigan, we are disgusted with this guy and his policies. Can’t wait to see Chris O’Donnell, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell, and the rest on election night. The born in Michigan candidate is going to win big! By the way, the media couln’t even cover up Benghazi gate and how they let these brave four men be tortured and killed! We will all help him pack his bags for Chicago!

born and raised in michigan October 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I meant our dear Chris Matthews, not O’Donnell.

Star October 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I posted on THE CALLER:

Yes, I would say showing our handsome, courageous ambassador’s body torn up and pitiful being dragged around was “not optimal.” Maybe he regrets the cameras. This is such a stupid response I am almost in tears. Not optimal? How about a screaming, avoidable CF that you then lied about six ways to Sunday (when your stoodge took to the airwaves)?

Lizzy October 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Well other than photo ops he doesn’t spend nearly the time that Bush did
with the soldiers. The Bush’s went frequently and we never knew and how many times did we see George tear up just talking about them. Can you imagine any CIC we’ve had saying something so cold and hearless? I can’t
and he is a self absorbed cold man more interested in himself than those who
die on his watch. Sad and we need to get a real President not party guy.

Tanya Kloesel February 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Didn’t hear about his appalling comment when he uttered it, amidst all the other crap that was slowly but surely coming out about what really happened – and why.
OBAMA HAS BLOOD ON HIS TREASONOUS HANDS AND DESERVES NOTHING LESS THAN THE DEATH PENALTY FOR HIS CRIMES.

I am appalled that he would refer to the deaths of those four men as not optimal, treating it as just a screw-up that is bound to happen with such “a big operation.”

It should have been his wife and two daughters killed in the attack, since it wasn’t really a big deal. And then, justice would REALLY be served if he was permanently maimed in another attack by the “peace-loving” Muslims he defends at all costs. Let him get thru the rest of his miserable life with such a handicap and let him do without his skanky wife and daughters. THEY AREN’T ANY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE FOUR MEN WHO DIED. In fact, they aren’t near AS important.

Only in such a scenario would justice for the crimes he’s committed against this country and it’s citizens be served.