Is the WH Situation Room the New Lincoln Bedroom?

by Keith Koffler on September 19, 2012, 10:16 am

President Obama Tuesday evening raised approximately $4 million at a single fundraiser hosted by entertainers Beyoncé and Jay-Z, a huge dividend reaped after Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama spent years courting the music power duo.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z were memorably invited in March 2010 to a tour of the White House that included a stop in the super-secret White House Situation Room, a place normally way off limits to even the most VIP White House visitors.

While it is not possible to directly link the visit to the Situation Room to Tuesday’s fundraiser, that President Obama gave such unique access to people who went on to help him raise $4 million raises questions of appearance and propriety. And it recalls – though doesn’t exactly mimic – Bill Clinton’s willingness to let donors sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom.

The Obamas have taken great care to cultivate their ties to the couple.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z sang at one of Obama’s inaugural balls.

Beyoncé last year recorded a video to help promote Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative, and this past May Michelle jetted to Atlantic City with her daughters to take in a show by the performer.

During last night’s fundraiser, a $40,000-a-head affair for about 100 people at New York’s 20/20 Club, Obama heaped praise on the duo:

Beyoncé couldn’t be a better role model for our daughters because she carries herself with such class and poise — (applause) — and has so much talent.  And Jay-Z now knows what my life is like.  (Laughter.)  We both have daughters, and our wives are more popular than we are.

The event followed an earlier fundraiser which also raked in a large sum for Obama’s campaign, a reception at the Waldorf Astoria for 200 people where tickets started at “$12,500 per family,” according to the White House press pool report.

WMP September 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

And pundits are upset because Gov. Romney is spending too much time fundraising. How do people think he can do any campaigning without a huge swath of money. I read today that Gov. Romney’s campaign had to borrow $20m to cover them after the primaries and before they could spend money raised to be used after his nomination was completed. So many hypocrites and so many in the beltway that simply don’t have a clue how upset mainstream America is by everything going on. Romney may not be the perfect candidate —-we are continually told…..I’m not that convinced, but it’s very easy to determine who will be better for America and what the founding fathers envisioned.

Star September 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

We sure know what Obama would be like! Sure, we will have to take it step by step with Romney if the press does not succeed in taking him down, but I think we need to try.

Just2old September 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

You’re right Keith. These posers are as inept as clinton was. Attempting to impress your buds by showing them the Sit Room borders on the criminal. That room is classified Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) and as such is off limits to uncleared individuals. The only way it could be accessed by uncleared guests would be to completely sanitize it(remove all classified info) during the tour. This would be a great burden on the personnel who man it 24/7. Of course burden on the little people means nothing to these grifters!

Star September 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Showing music stars the Sit Room is like bringing a gun to school to show how adult you are.

Langley Spook September 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Obama can not even pass a basic “security clearance” (SF-85 form)

RickW September 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

(phone rings in Pentagon)
Panetta: Yes Mr President?
Obama: Hey Leon. I’m sending Jay-Z over to Norfolk
Panetta: Why Sir?
Obama: He wants to check out one of those nuke subs, maybe take it for a spin. We’ve got some there, right?
Panetta: Sir, I don’t think thats wise….Really
Obama: Leon, would you rather I have Michelle call you about this?
Panetta: What time will he be there? …………….

WMP September 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Very good!

Quintis Arrius September 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm

sounds all too credible!

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty September 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

Nix the flags and the podium. Cue the opulent 18-foot tower of gold-bottled French champagne.

When President Obama addresses an elite roster of hipsters and multimillionaires, including hosts Beyoncé and Jay-Z, in New York tonight, he will do so next to a custom-designed tower of $800-per-bottle champagne that dominates the main room at Jay-Z’s 40/40 nightclub.

The 350-bottle champagne tower — designed by Jeffrey Beers — is a monument to Jay-Z’s favorite bubbly, Armand de Brignac, which is known colloquially by rappers, clubgoers and connoisseurs as Ace of Spades because of its gold-spade label.

“It’s floor-to-ceiling gold bottles in the entire space. It’s beautiful — breathtaking,” a rep for the Flatiron District hot spot told The Post. “It’s the first thing you see when you walk in.”

RickW September 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

(MSNBC talking head) “With the economic troubles of this country, to think that the Romneys rode around on JETSKIs at their vacation home is just PROOF they are out of touch with the middle class!!!” Lets see $800 x 350…..Hmmmm thats a heckuva lot of jet skis

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty September 19, 2012 at 10:58 am

This has the makings of a good parody video but Jay Z would go after me for copyright infringement or worse. He wouldn’t take kindly to being mocked. He has goons. I’ll pass on it.

RickW September 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

“Goons”? I find that offensive, GJ! I’m going out now to burn down someone’s embassy because of it!! LMAO

MT for re-redistribution September 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

The difference was Romney spent his OWN money (somehow that’s bad) while owebama spent taxpayer money (which really needed to be spent).

Girly1 September 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

“Ace of Spades”? How racist of them!

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty September 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

Isn’t strange that the pool reporter left the champagne tower out of their report?…..lol

RickW September 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm

The horse’s head in his/her bed did the trick, GJ

J September 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

This guy is the best door-to-door vacuum salesman on the planet. He has no skill but sales and his product sucks.

Sadie September 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Where’s a “cash for clunkers” program when you need one. ; )

RickW September 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

(wiping brain matter from walls around his Mac) Thanks Sadie. The mere mention of that fiasco caused my head to explode.

Sadie September 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

LOL. Clean up in aisle 5.

veritaseequitas September 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

Maybe the music power duo will give the political power duo admin jobs after the election in November.
After all, we wouldn’t want the royal couple to have to scrounge for their food and lodging now would we?

Girly1 September 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

The White House has morphed into the hip-hop version of “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas” – starring Barry, Michelle, Beyonce and Jay-Z . They need to take their cheezy lounge act to Vegas – home of the high rollers. I don’t even recognize this country anymore….there must be greener pastures.

Sadie September 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

BJ (Beyonce and Jay-z) has a certain je ne sais quoi. All I want to know is where’s Oprah? Are they BJ’s the replacement?

Owen_Kellogg September 19, 2012 at 11:12 am

Culture of corruption.

Susan September 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Michelle Malkin wrote the book on it.

Not Nabob September 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

I notice the POTUS doesn’t seem to have a problem with his rich 1%er friends and their vast fortunes. $40,000 a head, GEEZ, now that’s rich.

srdem65 September 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

The glitzy hip-hop couple wouldn’t give a Chicago community organizer and his wife the time of day. There wouldn’t be any love letters between Beyonce and MrsO if she was still a Chicago housewife working in some patronage job her buds found for her.

The hip-hoppers are the users here. They bask in the attention of the FirstCouple and use it to boost their careers and to give them credibility with their associates. The Obamas are like any star-struck fans who get all giddy when the star waves at them.

The Obamas are a pathetic couple who misunderstand the power and majesty of the position they hold in the world. Their constant appearances with the glitterti of the sports world and the entertainment venues only shows how little they understand where they are.
They have to be the least classy, most trashy First Couple to ever live in the White House.

Girly1 September 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’m not sure who the ‘users’ are here, srdem. I recall a comment from Jay-lo (Jennifer Lopez to the ‘un-hip’) after being invited to join a very small intimate group at the WH to watch the Super Bowl game 2-3 years ago. She said she was ‘shocked’ because she had never met the Obamas and couldn’t understand why she and her husband were invited. It’s not publicized, but MO always has a group of celebrities from various walks of life – tennis, movies, fashion….to keep her company at the WH when she is not performing her public duties. Also, one of the producers on the Jay Leno show was fired for telling someone that MO’s staff was always calling to have her booked on the show. These grifters are pleasure-seekers – nothing more, nothing less. They are living the life of La Dolce Vita – Obama style. It’s tragic for this country!

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty September 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

srdem65, you have a gift with words.

MarjoJimbo September 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I always thought the Bush families, senior and junior, were (and are) classy people. So unlike the current WH occupants.

RT Boogs September 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Tell me it ain’t so srdem65! People actually network with others to advance their career? No way! Thanks for the insightful mini-dissertation on human behavior. I need to reboot my worldview…

Girly1 September 19, 2012 at 11:31 am
RickW September 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

I disagree Girly…….There ARE words……..common courtesy and blog censors prevent their use………..The nerve of this #$%@% idiot……….

Girly1 September 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

What bothers me, Rick, is the fact that the Rpmney campaign has so much grist for the mill such as this video, yet they refuse to take off the gloves and slam him with his own words! Nice guys finish last!

RickW September 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Could not agree more. Mitt needs to keep in mind he is dealing with Chicago tactics. As Connery said in the Untouchables “They bring a knife, you bring a gun, etc etc”.

regina September 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I can’t wait until Jan. when they can move next to Jayz

Granny Jan and Jihad Kitty September 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm
Sadie September 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

OMG. It looks like the Forbidden City.

Susan September 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

The Gilded Age, gangsta style.

Susan September 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Betcha they watched his performance on Letterman on those big screen TVs too…

ImNoDhimmi September 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Where did they get the design, Mecca?

Lizzy September 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

These two nobodies from Chicago are like they’ve won a prize. Reminds me of that very old TV show Queen for a Day. Well they go around like movie stars and you can’t swing a dead cat without seeing one or both of them on TV
it’s like a fix to a junkie they feed on the adoration and if he didn’t have 1600 as
an address most of these swooning stars wouldn’t give either of them the time
of day. Those women who drool over Michelle’s clothes did it on the outfit she wore on the 9-11 anniversary not a mention of the date those are the types of
voters he’s got in the bag. They have ruined this country and I fear we’ve got
4 more years to come as there’s no outrage as this administrations lies and
indesretions contine.

RickW September 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Agree with everything you said, my friend except…..They have not ruined this country. YET. From what I read from the other people here and people I talk to face to face, there is an anger building thats going to come out on Election Day. Polls be dammed, this turkey is going down and we can begin to restore the pride we all have in America. No more apologies, no more bowing. You don’t want to be friendly to us, fine, then get ready to feel what its like to be our enemy.

Lizzy September 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm

One lives in hope but some times you do begin to wonder if we can unring the bell that has started. I still it my faith in the American people.

AZ Granny September 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I wish I had your confidence that this turkey will be looking for a new home. Nothing would make me happier than to see these wannabes loading up that uhaul.

Lizzy September 20, 2012 at 1:03 am

I hope to see them take lonely walk to the helicopter so they can
enjoy their new $35 million place in Hawaii. We live in hope that will
be what see next January.

Quintis Arrius September 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

The list of actors and singers that are siding with this guy is making it hard to enjoy anything in this current culture. Brad Pitt, Samuel Jackson, Morgan Freeman, George Clooney, that guy from Scrubs, Harold Kumar to name a few.
I bought “Moneyball” with Brad Pitt a few weeks a go after reading the book by Michael Austin and I still haven’t the stomach to watch it.

Susan September 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Any Hollywood moron who comes out and backs this Marxist usurper is off my list permanently. I don’t care how a great an actor/actress they are.

RT Boogs September 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Geez Quintis – Where you going here? If you choose your method, mode, and means of entertainment based upon an artists presidential vote – one can only wonder how you choose your _______ (fill in the blank). I don’t wonder, but I could… I know I plan on catching Clint this coming Friday. ;)

RickW September 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

H/T Weekly Standard…….http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/campaign-last-dinner-barack_652716.html Whats next? The Cabinet as the Apostles? Biden or Hillary as Judas?

Brenda A. September 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm