White House Press Secretary Jay Carney today declined to say that security was adequate at the Libyan consulate in Benghazi during that the assualt that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya last week on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, saying the matter is being studied.
Asked by Ed Henry of Fox News is there was sufficient security at the consulate, Carney replied, “I am simply saying that this is a matter under investigation.”
Carney added, however, that there were steps “taken both seen and unseen in advance in preparation for times like 9/11.”
Carney also softened his suggestions from last week that the the violence in Libya was mainly in response to a video denigrating Mohammed and not a pre-planned attack meant to mark the 9/11 anniversary.
“The cause amd motivation behind (the attacks) will be decided by that investigation,” Carney said. “There are other factors that were involved in the violence that ensued – other factors that are involved that are under investigation.”
Last week, he said: “And while the violence is reprehensible and unjustified, it is not a reaction to the 9/11 anniversary that we know of, or to U.S. policy.”
Carney continued to say that the video played a role, but this time he indicated that it played a more direct role in earlier protests in Cairo, and the the Cairo protests then spread to Bengahzi.
“It was video that cause the unrest in Cairo and the unrest in Cairo that precipitated the unrest in Libya and elsewhere,” Carney said.
But while flagging a potential change in position, Carney restated last week’s contention that the United States has “no information to suggest that it was a preplanned attack.”