Democrats Can’t Play the Dumb Card This Year

by Keith Koffler on August 20, 2012, 11:42 am

For only the second time in 40 years, the Republican presidential ticket is immune from attacks that one of its members is unintelligent, denying Democrats and their allied talk show hosts and comics a priceless political weapon and punchline.

Both Gov. Mitt Romney and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan are undeniably smart. Romney earned millions running his own complex financial business, and Ryan is the leading conservative intellectual in Congress.

In fact, this year it’s the Democrats’ turn. The only one of the four candidates whose intelligence is coming under scrutiny is Vice President Joe Biden, who generally fails to let a week go by without saying something stupid.

Since Gerald Ford sought to be returned to the Oval Office in 1976, Democrats have savored attacking one portion of the GOP ticket as dumb.

Ford was commonly said by those on the left to be dim witted and seemed confirm the assertion by appearing to place Poland outside the Soviet sphere of influence during one of his debates with Jimmy Carter.

Democrats lampooned Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984 as a former B-Movie actor who sometimes seemed confused, only to find themselves outsmarted at the ballot box by The Gipper and frequently on the floor of Congress as well.

In 1988 and 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle was the butt of jokes about his intelligence. But then in 1996 Republicans ran Kansas Sen. Bob Dole for President and former New York Rep. Jack Kemp for VP, neither of whom showed any evident shortage of IQ points.

In 2000 and 2004 Democrats reveled in charging that Vice President Dick Cheney was the brains behind George W. Bush, who with his Texas mannerisms and tendency to garble his words came off to some as not bright.

And then in 2008 Sarah Palin was mercilessly mocked by her opponents and the crew of Saturday Night Live as both dumb and uniformed.

H/T to a caller on the Friday’s Rush Limbaugh show - guest hosted by Douglas Urbanski - who first noted this.

Rod August 20, 2012 at 11:51 am

Frankly, there’s little evidence to suggest that Ubama isn’t in the same sphere of intellectual as Biden. It’s not like Ubama doesn’t stay stupid stuff, either.

Owen_Kellogg August 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

President Obama’s intelligence should also be under scrutiny.

srdem65 August 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I don’t think MrBiden is dumb or stupid. There are indications that he might have suffered from small stokes or even clogged arteries that would impair his actions and his thinking process. It’s not unusual in some older people for their personalities or cognitive thinking to change as a result and the medical profession has been trying to alert families that Gramma or Gramps aren’t going daffy, they need medical care.

With that in mind, is the nation served when the VPOTUS is showing signs of mental impairment?

Owen_Kellogg August 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

It could be the hair plugs. Maybe they planted them too deep.

Star August 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Having taken care of Mom for 16 yrs with the forget-about-it, he does show some signs–but I am not a doc. Let me see…what was I going to say…?

Swedishlady August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Star, so nice to have you back !

Swedishlady August 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Biden seems to be fair game now but, I think I said it before, just remove Obamas Teleprompter and the gaffes will start to pile up, I am certain of that.
And I think I rather would have tea with Biden than with Obama. Biden is at least entertaining, Obama lacks humour and charm.

Just2old August 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

You’re right SL. obama is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He keeps trying the same thing hoping for a different result.

Lisa August 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I can’t wait for the debates!!

Mr. Potatos August 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Uniformed or Uninformed? Yes Potatos is intentionally misspelled.

Brock August 23, 2012 at 3:11 am

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just
3G .. Anyways, excellent blog!

James Crawford August 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I resented the sexist attacks on Governor Palin to portray her as stupid. As Mayor of Wasilla and then Governor of Alaska, Palin implemented the type of fiscal conservatism that Senator Ryan has only terrorized about. The fact that she exercised such fiscal restraint at a time when revenues to the State of Alaska were soaring makes her accomplishments all the more impressive. Incontrast to Governor Palin, Obama, Biden had zero executive experience that would qualify them to be President. Ryan is equally devoid of executive experience. Unfortunately; Governor Palin was a nursing mom when she was selected to be the VP candidate which allowed some people to suggest that her IQ is inversely proportional to her bra size.

how to lose weight fast April 27, 2013 at 2:10 pm

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable know-how about unpredicted emotions.

CgEpmSUs June 30, 2013 at 9:20 am

546167 74083I really got into this article. I found it to be interesting and loaded with unique points of interest. I like to read material that makes me think. Thank you for writing this great content. 684011

paginas web asturias July 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm

501312 949326Respect to website author , some good selective information . 159825

Shooting Targetsand http://goo.gl/JZOPh July 16, 2013 at 4:24 am

At this time it looks like Wordpress is the best blogging platform available right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Kristen September 16, 2013 at 1:49 am

I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I
never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
the net will be much more useful than ever before.