Obama Heads Out to Church

by Keith Koffler on August 19, 2012, 11:26 am

President Obama today made a rare appearance in church, strolling with his family across Lafayette Park to St. John’s, well known as the church where presidents pray.

From the pool report:

Sunday morning: POTUS and family are attending mass at St. John’s Episcopal Church at Layfayette Sq. in Washington, DC. The first family walks out of the WH at 10:28 am, and strolled across Layfayette Sq to the church at the north end. No hurry there. POTUS walks with Malia, a hand on her shoulder; FLOTUS walks hand-in-hand with Sasha.

Passing the Pool, POTUS says hello but nothing more. A member of the press asks Malia how her experience at a New Hampshire camp was. “Good, thank you,” she responds.

Chorus is singing “I Come with Joy” as the first family enters the church.

Delivering the sermon at St. John’s this morning is Rev. Michael Angell. He mentions the shooting this week at Washington’s Family Research (Council), and calls on the country’s political rivals to come together to work out differences without violence. Angell mentions that he grew up near Auroura, Col.

Don’t worry, there will still be time for golf, although they’re calling for thunderstorms in the DC area.

UPDATE: No golf today. The press pool has been told to go home.

Cara August 19, 2012 at 11:32 am

Lol. Obama ALWAYS has time for golf

John Galt August 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Two new Obama bumper stickers:

FORE MORE YEARS

FORE-WARD

both with a little silhouette of a man teeing off.
I’d pt one on my car!

Sadie August 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

John Galt – How about a bumper sticker with BO and Joe playing golf – caption reads:

“TEED OFF” YET?- VOTE ROMNEY/RYAN.

elm August 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

How about one with o/b playing golf everyday all day long for the rest of their lives?

YES WE CON! August 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm

FORWARD WITH FORGERY.
Baxter Factor Investigates –

Stevie August 20, 2012 at 11:46 am
SaveUsGod August 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

I bet they don’t go back to THAT church. How dare the pastor talk about the shootings that involved people of faith! Didn’t he know he should have changed his sermon to be on the rich giving their fair share and how those religious people deserved what they got for not being secular? Well! I guess Obama will need to put out an exectuive order to stop this rampant religiosity. Shoot! He thought he had taken care of this with the Obamacare mandate on birth control drugs! I guess he will need to mandate churches to provide it free to their congregation. That will fix them!

Buzz August 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Odumbo would have felt much better if the pastor had talked white man’s greed in a world of greed, shouted “G..damn America” and “America’s chickens have come home to roost.”

“I voted for Obama to prove I was not a racist. Now I wonder who I can vote for to prove I am not an idiot.”…unknown

“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist Professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets.”…Marxist Obamba

“When classmates in college asked me just what a community organizer did, I couldn’t answer them directly. Instead ,I’d pronounce the need for change.”…Obamba

“I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped,and booze;maybe a little blow when you could afford it.”…Obamba

NO MORE OBAMALONY!!

Under Obama
- Lowest consecutive GDP quarters than anytime in our history
- Unemployment has nearly doubled
- More workers fall out of the labor force than anytime in our history
- Minority unemployment is highest in 30+ years
- Young worker unemployment highest since tracked in the 1950′s
- Unemployment over 8% for 41 months, never has happened in our history
- 38% increase in Americans living at or below poverty, more than anytime in our history
- 36% increase in homelessness
- 13% more Americans WITHOUT healthcare today than 4 years ago
- 50% increase in debt
- 4.5x more people on foodstamps
- 3x more people on welfare than anytime in our history
- In 3 wars instead of 2 and about to be a 4th with Syria
- Gitmo still open
- More companies have filed bankruptcy than anytime in our history
- 25% increase in home foreclosures
- Under Obamacare women can only get pap smears every 4 years instead of annually
- Under obamacare mamograms every 3 years instead of annually
– The real war on women

On Joe Soptic:
1. The steel plant was already on the skids BEFORE Bain tried to save it.

2. Cheap imports from Asia led to the closure of that plant.

3. By closing THAT plant, Bain SAVED jobs at their OTHER steel facilities.

4. Fast-forward 5 YEARS later: Soptic had declined insurance for his wife at his janitorial job. Mrs. Soptic had insurance of her own.

5. NO insurance could have spared her from terminal lung cancer within 22 days from diagnosis. She thought she only had pneumonia.

Now ya know the truth.

Political Hostage August 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Bain would not have looked at buying the mill if it weren’t about to close… that’s what Bain does – save companies and jobs, tries to make a profit, and sell the companies to interested buyers. Nothing new about that… at least Romney KNOWS how to save and create jobs.

Just to add to Soptic…

6. He did an ad for the administration earlier this year wearing the same shirt.

7. Soptic had a chance at a FAT payoff to leave prior to the plant closing.

Auzzievick August 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

Buzz:

What you are saying about the steel plant in St. Louis is true. Armco sold it to Bain & they actually gave 8 more yrs. to workers for jobs before it finally closed. I’m living in the midst of it now here in the Ohio River Valley. Wheeling-Pitt Steel, sold at least 4 times in the last 7+ yrs. ( Now R.G.Steel, formerly the Broussard Bros. from Chi. owned it) is being broken up & as I write this going to several bigger steel companies piece-meal. No one really knows what’s going to happen or even if there WILL be ANY steel work left here between Steubenville & Wheeling in the several plants.

Shame most people only believe what they are told, not what now with the iternet is almost impossible NOT to find.

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This was one of the most incredibly stupid things I have ever seen written. I believe when the future generations look back, they will see your comment as some sort of proto-man language. It honestly makes me believe men are evolving still. You most certainly don’t belong to a thinking, rational species. It seems you lack the self awareness to recognize your ignorance, consequently being forever trapped in a positive feedback loop of pride, and self righteous indignation. I really didn’t mean this reply to be mean, I just honestly think you may want to know that you are seriously lagging behind the rest of mankind. I wish you well.

Susan August 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Spoken like a true self-loathing liberal.

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

93% of scientists agree with me. I am sure you are happy in religion and conservatism, I am happy with no religion and political independence.

banning August 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So, Uncle Grumbles, you have spoken to all of the scientishs in the world and 93% of them agree with you, wow. You must be very busy traveling all over the world to do that. Self important also, from your statement.
Being political independent, does this mean you do not vote?
So that means you should not have a comment for those of us that do vote and have the freedom to determine whom our leaders should be.
No religion either, I feel sorry for you, maybe a prayer later for you.

banning August 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm

correction: scientists not scientisH

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 10:40 pm

where in the hell are you coming up with this shit? Independents do vote. I’ve seen multiple studies that have shown scientists to be atheists or non religious. Why did I seem self-important?

befuddled August 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

There’s no correlation between being a scientist and being an atheist. Science isn’t the study of disproving God’s existence. While on the other hand, there is a high correlation of being a smug asshole and Liberal/atheist. Every available study has proven this.

93% of scientists agree with me,(1) we could give a rat’s ass if you are an atheist,(2)we would appreciate all atheists to get out of our faces about telling us you’re an atheist, and (3)we give neither fuck or care about your feelings or opinion on any subject pertaining to religion.

Persecution by the minority is only tolerated by the govern of the majority for so long.

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Except you clicked a story on drudgereport about Obama going to church, and went to the comments to find an atheist comment, and then wasted time telling me how you didn’t care enough to waste time caring about whether scientists are atheists or not. You then said for atheists to get out of your face (this is an internet message board. You know, that place where people can express ideas freely), and threatened me by telling me you are the majority and just like a good religious person, when your ideas are threatened, you up the ante with more extreme threats. You would do well in an Islamic Theocracy.
Look, I am not saying one way or another if it’s a good thing. I just find it striking that the scientific population has a majority of non-religious persons. I’m tired of religious people asserting their dominance over others and using ancient texts to prescribe morals with legislation. If we stand any chance of surviving the cluster fuck that this president, and the presidents before him wrought on us, we are going to have to have a strong grasp on reality. Romney and his holy underwear, and goofy mormonism don’t offer that.
By the way, everyone is smug. If we believed other people’s ideas were more right than ours, we wouldn’t have our own ideas. Get off your smug high horse.

Just2old August 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

Yawn, panderer-in-chief.

yogiman August 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Well, it looks like an election is around the corner so I’m sure he’ll be in church physically for a few weeks. Mentally, in a Christian church? Fergit it!

yogiman August 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You mean usurper in chief. It looks like an election is around the corner so I’m sure he’ll be in church physically for a few weeks. Mentally, in a Christian church? Fergit it!

befuddled August 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

Can’t be bothered to put his hand over his heart or wear an American flag pin because it’s disingenuous and he’s ever so transcendent.

Oh, it’s election time again…better make a church appearance. He’ll get that nasty church taste out of his mouth with extra rounds of golf and wagu beef with Clooney later on.

srdem65 August 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

A few hours at a house of worship, no matter why, is a good thing.
A day on the golf course is a good thing too, we don’t want him getting ‘exhausted’ so that VPBiden has to step in.

will jar August 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Best comment here!

Nice Try August 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Church today, photo-op with the dog tomorrow. Sorry, accept for MSNBC, nobody is buying it.

EW3 August 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

“photo-op with the dog tomorrow”

Fried, Grilled or Baked ?

Steve August 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Scooby August 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

“Obama today made a rare appearance in church”

Using the church as just another prop…

BIG FAT PHONY

DeniseVB August 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

The fact that they go so infrequently tells me it’s a campaign trick nothing more.

mike feehan August 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

BINGO, BINGO, AND BINGO

Ivan In Phoenix August 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

He’ll probably go to church more between today and November 6th than the previous three and a half years combined. I bet he didn’t hear a word of it, just like at Rev Wrights sermons.

freba August 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Duh!

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

You are aware they have to pander because the fundie christian base in the US is insane, right? He has to act like he believes in talking devil snakes, and men with wings to get all the old people out and get a vote for god. All presidents do this. I am not an Obama supporter, but what is wrong with you people? You won’t be taken at all seriously if you talk the way you do.

Susan August 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Sure you’re not an Obama supporter…

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I swear I’m not. I actually liked Ron Paul the best, even though his religious views differed from mine. Besides, why would it matter if I was an Obama supporter? My question had no correlation to my candidate’s support. It was merely a statement of fact.

Bob USAFRET August 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

It was a statement of fact ,, (in your opinion) right?

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Seriously, disseminate the actual information. Look at religious demographics for countries and how politics plays into that.

mike feehan August 20, 2012 at 1:26 am

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. EMPTY SUIT GUTLESS MUSLIM WITH LITTLE TO NO INTEGRITY AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE

redhawk August 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Well says the Deranged one looking in amirror and seeing THE ASS HOLE!

bobmac August 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The man has no shame.Phony is a gross understatement.

American Patriot August 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Did he take his prayer rug?

Rick O'Shea August 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I don’t know but I think they rode their magic carpet to church?

Dixielee August 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Why ride a magic carpet when you can ride on Michelle’
s broom?

Tony August 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Are you a reporter, a commentor, a journalist or something else? If something else, what? I looked at your website and found a “Support President Obama” link/ad. What gives??

I appreciate accountability. The current president acts more like a benevolent dictator.

Darrel August 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I do not find him benevolent at all. Malovent dictator is more like it.

Vee Kay August 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Amen!!!

Political Hostage August 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Ambivalent dictator may be a fitting as well.

FLDemFem August 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm

The ad for Obama is likely from a space that was sold to an ad site that buys the space and then puts a variety of ads in the space. It might be something else tomorrow. Keith has no control over what they run in the space they rent from him. Besides, it gives us something to sneer at as we read and post. And I doubt anyone here is going to click on it anyway, so Obama is just wasting money by having it here. The more money he wastes the better, right?

John Tidball August 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

At least Romney isn’t a muslim like mr. Obonzo.

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Have you ever studied mormonism? No offense bro, but all religions are nuts. I really don’t believe in talking satan snakes anymore than I believe in zeus. I want a president that doesn’t think an ancient text that advocates rape, or think his underpants are holy, or infidels should be killed having the ability to destroy other nations. I want a president who thinks scientifically.

Political Hostage August 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Hey G. You’re thinking of pentacostals… dipshit. You seem mighty mad at religion. Were you by chance one of those unlucky altar boys? Or was it your daddy that gave it to you good when mommy wasn’t around?

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I was talking about genesis, you neanderthal. I’m tired of this pandering bull shit by people who think morals should come from ancient texts, especially ones that teach that a loving god makes a deal with satan to prove to satan that a guy named job loves him, and in doing so, destroys everything he owns, and kills his family and servants. I’m tired of people not being able to draw muhammad. I’m ready to embrace a civilization that teaches science apart from religion, and where technology and innovation actually have a chance. None of those things happened to me, but why would you want to make fun of that? The catholic church is really doing that. Doesn’t that make you as sad as me? Why would you also make fun of fathers that molest their children? In one hand, you defend religion, on the other you laugh at child rape. It honestly terrifies me that there are people who think like you.

Jim August 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

If you read the end of Job, God gives Job back twice as much for being faithful to Him. By the way, you do not need to use such coarse language to get a point across. If you are as smart as you say you are, you should be able to get your point across in intelligent conversation

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

how about if you are offended by course language, you should not be on the internet. God still made a deal with the devil. Good luck worshiping a god that sells you out to make a point to his arch nemesis.

Jim August 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Most intelligent people have enough of a vocabulary that they don’t have to use coarse language. They can discuss things intelligently. Of course, if you went to one of the colleges your master went to, I can understand your lack of civility and vocabulary.

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

And besides, why were you mad at me for using “course” language, but ok with political hostage joking about childhood rape? I think bad words are much gentler than bad actions. Do you not see the hypocrisy in this because it is embarrassing to actually defend the insane requirements and stories of the bible, and as such you’d rather be offended by my substantially less offensive message? I am honestly curious.

Political Hostage August 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Sorry, I fogot… get smarter putz.

ItsJo August 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hey Grumpy, you DO know that “Dirty Harry Reid” is ALSO a Mormon
right? Why are you all in a twist about ANY religion? Is it ok with you
that Obama is “Hiding HIS being a Muslim and has had his brethern-
The Muslim Brotherhood visiting the Whitehouse? You know them, they’re the ones taking over the MiddleEast, with tight association with
Radical Terrorists, that HAVE, and STILL WANT TO KILL AMERICANS….THAT OK WITH YOU TOO?

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm

No dude. To be honest I was hoping Obama was an atheist. Did you know that 93% of scientists are atheists? I could see a bright future with science in a world like that.

chulo82 August 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I cant tell if your serious or not, Im just confused why you would want all athiest scientists? Why not diversify them so we have people who call them on their bogus theories which they get need to survive in their field. i watch the history channel and hear the scientest exclaim how the state of Iowa burned over a million years ago from a soil sample or carbon dating etc. How can anyone disprove they arent just exaggerating what they truley know. Most of the time I wouldnt care but when our countries gov invests billions in green technology because we think we might slow down the green house effect (the earth burning up) I just get a little fired up. Atheist scientest prey on the weak and gullible minds and from what Ive heard most of them know it.

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Let’s see. Studying the intricate complexities of mathematics, and biology, and then reproducing staggeringly complex ideas and theories that leads to actual results like making the blind see, bringing people back the brink of death, making the lame walk, and then praying for these things to happen from a book that was written thousands of years ago by authors who we have no clue about, and compiled nearly 300 years after the book’s messiah god beamed up to his spaceship.
I want scientists to not be swayed by superstitions. I want them to be free to ponder the mysteries of the universe with the best tools available. Faith destroys critical thinking, a tool America desperately needs right now.
Scientists do exaggerate sadly from time to time. We can perform other tests though, that fact check. Proving the initial results false, and moving on to new areas that need enlightenment.
The ideas of carbon dating, etc… are pretty well solidified. The Earth is more than 6,000 years old. The Earth is heating up. Almost all scientists recognize we have a part in it. Why would you not want renewable energy? There are people much smarter than either of us working on these technologies, and with gas and oil being a horrible fuel to run our technological age, we should be looking at all costs for new viable energies. Fusion for instance will most likely be a game changer when achieved.
As a former religious person, I have found great freedom in a world without religion. I find more often than not, the churches around here are stuffed to capacity with the feeble minded. I see a child like fear of the unknown in them, transitioning from the monsters under the bed, to the devils in hell. I see a desire to believe that there is a being able to give wealth, and heal the sick and dying. It’s sad, because science and technology are actually offering these things for the first time in our existence as humans. Imagine a world in which are children are taught about neutrinos, and nematodes, and distant galaxies, about the chance of life on other planets, about exploring Mars every Sunday morning, instead of being taught from ancient superstitious texts.

Chicago860 August 20, 2012 at 12:21 am

Sorry, Pagliacci, you’re using a made-up number. The lowest percentage you’ll find in any reputable survey is 33%. So can the knowitall attitude and check your facts…instead of checking your brain at the door.

Jim August 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

Can you provide evidence for proof for your claim that 93% of scientists are atheists?

cincycinco August 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Yep, scientist are great, never doubt them.

How nice that such smart people know everything about the universe!

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Uhh, those are all really old examples that are a joke in the scientific community. Kinda like the bible.

ItsJo August 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Moderator: I posted ONE comment in reply to Grumpy-but your air message said I had a duplicate….You Never posted the One and ONLY reply I wrote, so what gives? I’d like it posted please to Grumpy.

ItsJo August 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thanks Moderator-Hope Grumpy gets the message!

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm

HiJo!

Bob USAFRET August 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

So, a scientologist?, Don’t think Tom Cruise is running

Chicago860 August 20, 2012 at 12:13 am

Wow. At your funeral, there you’ll be. All dressed up and no place to go

Uncle Grumbles August 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, kinda blows. Wishing for a jesus of my own though won’t change reality. Guess I’ll just have to live this life like it’s not a test and cherish every friendship and family member that much more dearly and see every experience more vibrantly and beautifully knowing we will be separated by a gulf of eternity when it ends. You know what, I should call my mom right now. Bye

Auzzievick August 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

Last one that I can think of might be Teddy Roosevelt or Thomas Jefferson. Good Luck with that one.

redhawk August 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

OBAMA LIE #43: “We’ll invest $15 Billion a year over the next decade in renewable energy, creating five million new green jobs…”
Obama has spent more than $90 Billion in an attempt to generate the millions of “green jobs” he promised in 2008. Four years later taxpayers have received little return on this investment. $535 Million were wasted on Solyndra alone, which declared bankruptcy in September 2011 and laid off 1,100 workers. “69 Obama Lies” Grassfire Nation

Tominstl August 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Less rote religious ritual is a good thing.

angel August 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

it’s so hypocritical to see obama in church, knowing he has blessed gay marriage and is all for murdering the unborn, it would better read if it said, satan went to church this morning,even though i’m sure satan is there every sunday, not 2 sundays a year

srdem65 August 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Good points.

The Arbiter August 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how people who sanction the murder of babies can call themselves, “good people”. *sigh*

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I…just…don’t have the energy to deal with your stupidity…

Jackson August 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

What a joke. Did they brace the church so it wouldn’t fall down when he walked in?

VulpesRex August 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Where was Samson when the world really needed him.

Dave Christensen August 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm

When the preacher asked for a Hallelujah, did Obama respond with a Goddamn America?

Denise August 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Bhahahahahah Good one, but I somehow have the idea that he hardly attended Wrights sermons, instead preferring 19 holes of golf , it would explain why he never heard the Marxist sermons many of those mornings. Appears that the man even lies about his church attendance.

Kingfish August 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

He jumped up and cried Allah Akbar!

Uncle Grumbles August 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Admiral Akbar actually.

cincycinco August 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

ITS A TRAP!

Injainjuneer August 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

So they got a clueless journo to do the pool report this morning.

1) A “chorus” doesn’t sing. It should be “the choir.” A chorus is something that IS sung.
2) Also, I am fairly sure that St. John’s, an Episcopal church, does not celebrate Mass, which is a Roman Catholic term for the ritual that Protestants call Eucharist or the Lord’s Supper.

Injainjuneer August 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Just to correct myself before someone else does. Mass is something celebrated by the Roman Catholic church.
It is not the same ritual as Protestants celebrate. Protestants don’t celebrate Mass, under that or any other name. Protestants celebrate Eucharist or the Lord’s Supper, but it is not the same as the Catholic Mass.
So it is completely wrong for the pool reporter to say the Obamas went to Mass in a Protestant church.

Vivian August 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Perhaps the “pool reporters” should study up on their religious denominations. The Communion service is not , nor it should be, referred to as a “mass” in the Episcopal Church. It is totally a Catholic terminology used for the the celebraion of the Holy Eucharist The Anglicans often (justifiably) make use of the term,
The Mass is the celebration of the Liturgy of the Eucharist in which the ordained priest consecrates the bread and wine.

Julie Brueckheimer August 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Some Episcopalians do refer to the Eucharistic Rites as a “Mass”. This has overtones of high church or Anglo-Catholic branches, and I’m not sure, but Episcopalians who do not recognize the latest edition of The Book of Common Prayer might not either. It’s not common, but it is in use.

Julie Brueckheimer August 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Correction: might also, not might not.

Lizzy August 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

My cousin is Espiscopalian she calls herself Catholic lite.

chris murray August 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Say Hello to Jermiah Wright for us…..

Obama Akbar August 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Didnt they mean “desPOTUS” ?

Tim August 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I would not consider attending2-3 church services a year regular attendance.

Dick Sicario August 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Did he bring his Koran ?

rawheadrex August 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Going to church doesn’t make a person a Christian anymore than walking into a garage makes him a car. It is difficult not to judge BHO in this regard, but the hostility against the tenets of the Roman Catholic faith contained in his health care measure bespeaks little respect for the 1st Amendment.

Susan August 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm

At least the good Reverend Angell mentioned the shooting at the Family Research Center. Didn’t hear a peep out of King Kardashian after it happened.

freba August 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

And why was that I wonder?

Loral O August 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Since it’s this close to election, Obama wanted to be seen in church. Maybe even round up a few new voters. It isn’t because he’s so godly for sure!

so screwed August 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

?

OMG !

Omg

SerfCityHereWeCome August 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Well, here I am, 10am on a Friday morning…where is everybody…?

so screwed August 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

are you a bit far from home?

SerfCityHereWeCome August 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

To which of my homes are you referring, Chicago or Nairobi? If you’ll excuse me now, I have to confer with my friends at NBC & ABC to see if we can splice together some photoshopped video footage of Paul Ryan eating black babies and hire some guy in a Mitt Romney mask to spray gunfire at abortion clinics in Ohio. Forward!.

freba August 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Good one.

William Hooper August 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Too bad this pastor didn’t exposit accurately a few verses from the Bible rather than giving his opinions. Sounds like mostly a waste of time for everyone.

Stonedome August 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I thought Muslims that claimed Christianity were to be put to death…

cincycinco August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm

There is a Muslim tradition called Taqiyya that excuses this – or any – behavior, as long as it advances the cause.

Guy Average August 21, 2012 at 4:59 am

Thanks for sharing the link. People need to open their eyes to the deception that is inherent in Islam, indeed the deception that is a fundamental part of Islamic doctrine.

The Arbiter August 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Barack Obama is a PIECE OF SH!T.

Denise August 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

NOW NOW…….

Kingfish August 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Amen!

Kingfish August 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Amen to that!

Star August 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Can’t you come up with a more useful or at least amusing comment?

Skid Marx August 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

He is the President. A more respectful term would be “excrement.”

redhawk August 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm

This Will Make your DAY!!!
By GLENN THRUSH Back To Story Page »

Obama campaign figures Axelrod and Cutter have been at odds at times.
Photo by AP Photo

President Barack Obama’s campaign team, celebrated four years ago for its exceptional cohesion and eyes-on-the-prize strategic focus, has been shadowed this time by a succession of political disagreements and personal rivalries that haunted the effort at the outset.

Second-guessing about personnel, strategy and tactics has been a dominant theme of the reelection effort, according to numerous current and former Obama advisers who were interviewed for “Obama’s Last Stand,” an e-book out Monday published in a collaboration between POLITICO and Random House.

The discord, these sources said, has on occasion flowed from Obama himself, who at repeated turns has made vocal his dissatisfaction with decisions made by his campaign team, with its messaging, with Vice President Joe Biden and with what Obama feared was clumsy coordination between his West Wing and reelection headquarters in Chicago.

(PHOTOS: Obama 2012 campaign staff)

The effort in Chicago, meanwhile, has been bedeviled by some of the drama Obama so deftly dodged in 2008 — including, at a critical point earlier this year, a spat that left senior operatives David Axelrod and Stephanie Cutter barely on speaking terms — and growing doubts about the effectiveness of Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

(Also on POLITICO: White House stands by Wasserman Schultz)

The e-book, produced as part of a two-month reporting project that included interviews with two dozen current and former members of Obama’s team, illuminates how the mood and character of the 2012 reelection effort is flowing from the top — with Obama’s own personality and values shaping his campaign just as powerfully as he did four years ago.

This has produced a campaign being animated by one thing above all. It is not exclusively about hope and change anymore, words that seem like distant echoes even to Obama’s original loyalists — and to the president himself. It is not the solidarity of a hard-fought cause, often absent in this mostly joyless campaign. It is Obama’s own burning competitiveness, with his remorseless focus on beating Mitt Romney — an opponent he genuinely views with contempt and fears will be unfit to run the country.

Obama is sometimes portrayed as a reluctant warrior, sorry to see 2012 marked by so much partisan warfare but forced by circumstance to go along. But this perception is by most evidence untrue. In the interviews with current and former Obama aides, not one said he expressed any reservations about the negativity. He views it as a necessary part of campaigning, as a natural — if unpleasant — rotation of the cyclical political wheel.

(PHOTOS: Obama over the years)

Obama’s trash-talking competitiveness, a trait that has defined him since his days on the court as a basketball-obsessed teenager in Hawaii, was on display one night last February, when the president spotted a woman he knew was close to Sen. Marco Rubio in a Florida hotel lobby. “Is your boy going to go for [vice president]?” the president asked her. Maybe, she replied.

“Well,” he said, chuckling, according to a person who witnessed the encounter. “Tell your boy to watch it. He might get his ass kicked.”

Other passages of the book reveal:

• Obama personally dispatched senior West Wing aides to Chicago — led by David Plouffe and Pete Rouse — to better coordinate operations between the White House and Chicago. He was especially irritated by what he viewed as self-promotion by subordinates — and fumed that ad consultant Jim Margolis had appeared in a New York Times profile on Obama’s negative ad operation. Margolis sent a mea culpa to Obama and the staff, but Obama remained miffed.

The president’s less-than-stellar appraisal of his own team’s efforts has been a recurring motif of 2012.

In late May, what was intended as a clever campaign stunt — dispatching Axelrod to Boston to personally make the case against Romney on the steps of the State House — went awry.

As Axelrod was greeted by pro-Romney hecklers chanting “Axel-Fraud,” Obama was in the West Wing watching with growing disgust as the event unfolded on cable news. The scene, he scoffed to a nearby aide, was an ill-conceived “spectacle.”

“We aren’t going to do that kind of thing again, are we?” he asked peevishly, not a question but an order. Obama has no qualms about throwing a punch, his close intimates say, but can’t stand looking foolish when he does.

• Biden’s misstep, also in May, in announcing his approval of gay marriage — which forced Obama to do the same before he intended — caused greater disharmony in the White House than was reported at the time.

Biden blamed Campaign Manager Jim Messina for “throwing him under the bus” with the media during the gay-marriage flap — a charge that turned out to be untrue. In an emotional one-on-one meeting with Obama, Biden apologized profusely and said he’d been betrayed by Obama’s aides.

The president tried to calm him down, saying, “Look, Joe, there are people who want to divide us. You and I have to be on the same page from now on. You and I have to make sure that we don’t get divided.”

Plouffe and other West Wingers were even angrier that Biden had screwed up his boss’s carefully laid plans to announce his position before next month’s Charlotte convention — even as Biden previously had counseled against weighing in on the issue for fear of alienating battleground-state independents.

• As Team Obama was gearing up to face Romney after the GOP primaries, Axelrod and Cutter — close friends who oversee the campaign’s massive messaging and communications operations — clashed over a minor incident that left them barely on speaking terms during a critical early part of the campaign.

The spark, according to people close to the situation: Axelrod suspected Cutter of taking a network TV appearance he had been asked to do. The conflict, well-known inside Obamaland but not outside the inner circle — was really the reflection of a grinding campaign, Cutter’s propensity for stepping on toes, and Axelrod’s elliptical and disorganized management style.

But to many on the inside it reflected a dangerous divergence from the 2008 all-for-one ethos. The pair patched up their differences and coordinated an effective attack against Romney’s Bain Capital connections and his refusal to release a dozen years of tax returns — but subordinates found the tension unnerving.

• Many of Obama’s advisers have quietly begun questioning whether they should have picked Wasserman Schultz, an outspoken Florida congresswoman, as his DNC chairwoman. She has clashed with Chicago over her choice of staff and air-time on national TV shows — and they think she comes across as too partisan over the airwaves.

Obama’s brain trust secretly commissioned pollster David Binder to conduct an internal focus study of the popularity of top Obama campaign surrogates. Number one was former press secretary Robert Gibbs, followed by Cutter. Traveling press secretary Jen Psaki, who was added to a second study, was third. Axelrod, Plouffe and current White House press secretary Jay Carney were bunched in the middle. Wasserman Schultz ranked at the bottom.

Amid the challenges, Obama maintains confidence and is his campaign’s biggest cheerleader, exhorting downcast aides to buck up — he always knew they would “go into a barrel” at some point, he’d tell them. Still, he was concerned enough to privately order his top advisers to “tighten” things up, and fast.

It is Romney himself who provides a rallying point for both the candidate and his team.

Obama really doesn’t like, admire or even grudgingly respect Romney. It’s a level of contempt, say aides, he doesn’t even feel for the conservative, combative House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the Hill Republican he disliked the most. “There was a baseline of respect for John McCain. The president always thought he was an honorable man and a war hero,” a longtime Obama adviser said. “That doesn’t hold true for Romney. He was no goddamned war hero.”

Time and again Obama has told the people around him that Romney stood for “nothing.” The word he would use to describe Romney was “weak,” too weak to stand up to his own moneymen, too weak to defend his own moderate record as the man who signed into law the first health insurance mandate as Massachusetts governor in 2006, too weak to admit Obama had done a single thing right as president.

The two things Obama fears most about a Romney victory: A 7-to-2 conservative Supreme Court within a few years. And the equally unbearable possibility, in his mind, that Romney will get to take a victory lap on an economic rebound Obama sees as just around the corner. “I’m not going to let him win … so that he can take credit when the economy turns around,” Obama said, according to an aide.

Obama has himself to blame for what has, arguably, been the greatest unforced error of his political career: his team’s failure to adequately form a strategy to deal with the avalanche of unregulated cash crashing down on him from GOP and Romney-allied super PACs.

Many on his team now regret not dispatching an aide of Plouffe’s stature to the cause in 2011, someone better equipped to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Karl Rove. People around Obama originally floated the idea of tapping Chicago billionaire Penny Pritzker to run the effort, but Obama personally waved off aides who pestered him about it.

Obama still believes Citizens United, the 2010 Supreme Court decision that unleashed the super PACs, poses a huge threat to representative democracy by equating the largesse of self-serving billionaires with free speech.

Axelrod agreed, but also saw a political benefit to the high-mindedness. He believed trashing the super PACs was a messaging winner for Obama — a stance vehemently opposed by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Messina. “We’re going to lose this [f-ing] thing. Why don’t they get it?” Messina said of Axelrod and Obama.

By early 2012, the GOP super PAC floodgates had opened, and Obama reluctantly agreed to endorse a group friendly to his cause, Priorities USA Action.

But when Priorities’ founders — former White House aides Bill Burton and Sean Sweeney — struggled to fund that group, Democrats close to Obama considered tapping Gibbs for the job. They quickly realized it could raise legal problems stemming from Gibbs’s paid work for the campaign. Gibbs would have said no anyway.

Even in the slog of a reelection, Obama’s aides tried to inject some of the 2008 spirit of innovation into the campaign, with varied success.

Bored with the traditional one-city format for national conventions, they briefly considered a groundbreaking plan to stage four nights of events in four cities in 2010. The plan turned out to be a logistical nightmare, and would have cost the party and networks millions more. It was quickly scrapped.

During secret Sunday Roosevelt Room meetings with his top political and White House advisers, Obama has expressed concerns that the enthusiasm gap between his 2008 and 2012 support could cost him the election. He often peppers participants with pointed questions about campaign metrics — he’s especially interested in gauges of base enthusiasm, including the latest reports on volunteer enrollment in swing states and college campuses.

Obama remains frustrated with the bickering by Hill Democrats. During a closed-door meeting in June, he told House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that Republicans were trying “to delegitimize me,” and implored them to put his own reelection over competing political priorities.

“Look, guys. I plan on winning this race,” he said, according to a person briefed on the interaction. “If I don’t win, then anything we say now doesn’t matter. I plan on winning this race. So let’s figure out how to win this race.”

Despite Obama’s all-in commitment to the campaign, there have been signs of strain. And people close to him detect, from time to time, a yearning for the high ground. It is most often reflected during his drafting of speeches — a therapeutic, clarifying exercise for a politician with a writer’s impulse to reconciling contradiction through narrative.

To give Obama a break from the relentless negativity of the campaign, friend and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett quietly set up a salon/dinner for Obama over the summer — which lasted more than two hours, a huge block of presidential time.

On hand were Jarrett’s friend and Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson, Facebook billionaire and new New Republic Publisher Chris Hughes, and Apple executive Scott Forstall, who led the team that developed the iPhone.

One of the topics?

Civility and political discourse.

NOBAMA2012 August 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Only 5 more months ’til we remove the Marxist from the Oval Office, repeal Obamacare, get Americans back to work, get the economy back on its feet, okay the Keystone pipeline, lift the ban on offshore drilling & DRILL BABY DRILL

AMERICANS WANT JOBS, NOT FOOD STAMPS, UNEMPLOYMENT CHECKS & MORE OBAMA LIES, LEAKS & EXCUESE

NOBAMA 2012

NOBAMA2012 August 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

“EXCUESE” = EXCUSES

Macpappy August 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hope is high in S.E. Texas as private land owners are starting to move the machines to start this end of the pipeline. Leases are being signed, offices are opening up, crews are starting to form and move. Someone sure thinks the election is in the bag and the pipeline is going forward.
This guy has to go, and the whole Democratic Party if need be.

mascmen7 August 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

The Kenyan born, Russian communist educated imposter is a Sunni Muslim fooling America for almost 5 years now. Putin told him he better do a better job and check for microphones in future. Sasha’s real name is Natasha, the most popular name in Russia where he graduated from Patrice Lumumba University in Moscow. I am from Hollywood and Obama is the best actor I have ever seen.

Kingfish August 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Ovomit was a RED DIAPER BABY!

Macpappy August 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

The left is so used to deceiving it’s constituents with childish lies, that the Great Pretender thinks that Independents will assume he is Christian, and a God fearing man if he shows up a time or two a year.
I know there are hardcore, and even extremist Liberals that will back Obama under the most ridiculous circumstances, but it’s the other 35+% that are typical Democrats and still plan on voting for this man. I wonder what percentage of these people get there news from any other source than MSM.

Denise August 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

The second to last sentence is a joke, right?

“Obama has been to regular Sunday services in Washington this year I think once or twice before this.”

I wonder when one or two show ups in church on Sunday has become “regular” attendance? He attends Ramadan faithfully and cancelled the National Day of Prayer. Anyone with a thinking brain can see that the man leans Islam. And before everyone jumps on my comment, THERE IS NOTHING wrong with being Muslim, except HE doesn’t admit it. What is he ashamed of?

Just2old August 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Denise, I think Keith was being sarcastic. (-:}

ImNoDhimmi August 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I think he meant the services are regular (ie: every Sunday OR not for special occasions like Christmas or Easter), not Barry’s attendance at same.

Rick O'Shea August 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

It won’t be long now, Obama will probably claim he was doing missionary work in Indonesia.

The katman August 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Going to church, for the oBamas, is jus a show to appease his christian followers. It’s interesting that a lifelong muslin would even be seen inside a church, except as a dicersinary tactic and tom foolery. Remember, the muslim edict is it is OK to lie if it is used to deceive your enemy.

bob c August 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Catholics and Christians are sometimes referred to as C E Catholic/Christians for only attending church Christmas and Easter
Now we have an example of P. E. Christian for attending church Pre-Election

Jeff August 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Wow. Mitt makes headilnes (for some reason) for the ordinary, American thing to do by going to church. Someone calls Obama and he whips the family up and off they go to church too. It makes me wanna say “Jesus.”

Annie August 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Is this not pathetic? The degenerates in the White House had to go to the trouble of attending a Christian Church because the Romneys attended church. Just look at the sh** the poor ,messiah has to do to appease the bitter clingers….

cincycinco August 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Might have been fun if the sermon had been on the book of Daniel. One of the “kings” mentioned may have sounded a little familiar to Dear Leader & the family…

“11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

11:37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.”

Maybe not, they sat in Rev. Wright’s church for years and never heard a thing. It kinda sounds like someone who may have been making a rare visit to that church on that day to me, though…

Guy Average August 21, 2012 at 4:56 am

Indeed. Reading and hearing The Word on a regular basis will lead to conviction and true change. Using church attendance as a prop, not so much.

slow screw August 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Don’t expect to see Obama anytime soooon…

O got some splanin’ ta do!

Kingfish August 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

They looked like a gaggle of ducks marching across the street with rolled up prayer rugs under their little wings.

gracepmc August 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I can imagine that the reaction to this political act of church going within the First Family was pretty much like the confusion and whining of all families whose lead parent makes them attend on High Holy Days and the like. It does little for the soul, and in this case, not much for the political standing.

mike feehan August 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

AND THIS GUTLESS EMPTY SUIT HACK HAS THE GALL TO CALL HIMSELF A CHRISTIAN,

I THINK THAT THIS IS MAYBE THE SECOND OR THIRD AT MAX TIME THAT THE EMPTY SUIT HAS GONE TO SERVICE AND HE CALLS HIMSELF A CHRISTIAN????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

Chippy55 August 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

What, no synagogue? Didn’t he go to school in Indonesia and study Islam? Of course, but what passport did he use? He could NOT have used a passport issued by the USA, and Indonesian schools would NEVER have allowed a classroom seat to be taken up by a wealthy American student, if that is incorrect, then SHOW US THE PASSPORT THAT WAS USED.

Chippy55 August 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Sorry, meant mosque. Duh.

FLDemFem August 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

He went to school in Indonesia when his mother married Lolo Soetero and they all lived in Indonesia. He was 7 to 10 at the time. He was on his mother’s passport. Then he came back to the States and went to private school while living with his grandparents.

Mike Jones August 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Obama goes to Church, Ain’t that swell.

I wondered if he enjoyed his Ramadan dinner.
Oh, no Food Friday Svcs at the White House for 3 years.
No Easter Meal at the White House for 3 years.

National day of prayer? Oh Obama cancelled that 3 years ago.

NCBigmouth August 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Are you sure the King didn’t go to the Church of the 19th Hole?

Bethie August 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Fact: Early 1990′s, Web Hubbel’s sister, an ER nurse at Universty Hospital has a party. Hiliary & Bill are both there. Bill & Web are going out on the town with “Hubbel’s Honey’s” some of which are ER nurses at University Hospital. Hiliary puts her finger in Web’s sister’s face and says, ” I don’t care where you go or what you do, just have him back in time to be seen on the steps of the church.”
Going to church, that is what politicians do and Clinton was a master at using religion to get votes.

Guy Average August 21, 2012 at 4:54 am

Interesting but not surprising.

hinckleybuzzard August 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Now we know for sure the White Hut is getting nervous about November… question is, to what god does the Usurper pray? Only Jeremiah Wright knows the answer and he ain’t sayin’.

Lizzy August 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I wouldn’t care if he never went to church but to use church as a prop is about
as low as you can get. Also great example for the girls wonder how they explain all the contradictory things they do to them?

Nemoque August 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This was nothing more than a photo-op. Obama has about as much use for the church as Richard Dawkins does.

Star August 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

SNAP!

Mike Lawgrad August 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Obama’s headed to church? Must be election season.

But seriously, where is the outrage from  Americans United for Separation of Church and State?

On the rare occasion when President Obama takes part in a church service, there is clearly great risk of the country being pushed into a single state-sponsored religion.

Isn’t the next step that we’ll all have to follow Rev. Jeremiah Wright or whoever Obama gets his inspiration from?

Attention Barry Lynn (head of AUSCS): We have a public display of religion by an elected official!

Atheists to your battle stations! (    ) help us!

scott bono August 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

This monkey couldn’t make a pimple on the ass of a US president….Tar and feather him and sent him back to chicago on a donkey.

Guy Average August 21, 2012 at 4:52 am

Troll Alert!

Cinnamon August 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm

What a phony! Hasn’t been to church all year and now he’s going to show off what a “Christian” he is.

Girly1 August 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm