Michelle to Host “Kids’ State Dinner”

by Keith Koffler on August 15, 2012, 10:58 am

Yes, it’s a healthy eating event. The attendees apparently won some kind of contest sponsored by BOTH the Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture to create a recipe that is “healthy, affordable and tasty.”

My bet is that “tasty” wasn’t actually one of the criteria.

Here’s the announcement from the White House:

WASHINGTON, DC – On Monday, August 20th, First Lady Michelle Obama will host the first ever Kids’ “State Dinner,” at the White House, inviting 54 kids, ages 8-12 representing all U.S. states, three territories and the District of Columbia, to a luncheon featuring a selection of healthy recipes from the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge and a performance by Nickelodeon’s music sensation Big Time Rush. The Challenge was created in support of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! initiative, which aims to help solve the problem of childhood obesity within a generation.

In May, parents from across the country were invited to work with their child to create an original lunchtime recipe that is healthy, affordable and tasty, and followed the nutritional guidelines set by USDA’s ChooseMyPlate.gov site. Fifty-four winners were chosen by a panel of judges by the organizations that teamed up with the First Lady on this initiative: Epicurious, the Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture.

First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver brief remarks at the luncheon, which will be open press. Following the luncheon, the kids will be treated to a performance by Big Time Rush, and will have the opportunity to visit the White House Kitchen Garden.

You know, I really don’t have a problem with Michelle taking the lead on childhood obesity. I recently observed a “field day” at a local elementary school, and about a quarter of the kids couldn’t jump over a blade of grass.

First ladies are supposed to provide leadership on an issue, and childhood obesity is a good one. I believe kids can learn to eat good food if you start denying them sugar, particularly at an early age. Instead, they learn that everything has to be sweet to taste good. And then they’re on their way to a miserable life of fatness.

My problem with her is when she starts spending tons of taxpayer money on her pet project, like this event or the one in recently in London, where she had all kids of celebrities and hundreds of children running around the U.S. ambassador’s residence. Remember, this is all subsidized by the Chinese.

Or when she begins mandating stuff and sponsoring her own legislation, or hosting exercise classes in the East Room.

God willing, the kids won’t have to eat their own recipes, and will get some of the sumptuous food they serve at the White House: The world’s best lamb chops and shrimp cocktail, as well as crab cakes, steak, and other traditional American delicacies – and desserts molded into exquisite sculptures and slathered with creamy, sugary  frosting.

I mean, it’s the White House. Give the kids a treat.

UPDATE: White House Dossier has obtained exclusive photographs of the top four recipe contest winners.

{ 1 trackback }

movedtothefarm August 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

Really – we are now flying kids and their families to the White House from all over the country to talk about healthy food choices? While at any given time she will eat lobster, bisque, steaks and drink martinis. I wonder if they had to pay $3.00 to enter this contest.

Geoff Caldwell August 15, 2012 at 11:17 am

And I bet we don’t see article one on the “carbon footprint” of the fiasco.

Star August 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Maybe a Gummi Bear Martini? Just one?

Geoff Caldwell August 15, 2012 at 11:16 am

According to her husband, she’s missing three states.

Lizzy August 15, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Now the really vital question is what will she wear? It will be costly but it’s for
all the little fat kids after all:(

Lizzy August 15, 2012 at 10:56 pm

That was not a reply to you but there are states missing:). Maybe they
ar the fat free states?

srdem65 August 15, 2012 at 11:22 am

First Ladies aren’t “supposed to do” anything, anymore than the wives of CEOs are supposed to do something to advance their husband’s career.
If they do chose to promote their husband’s career advancement, they don’t do anything with the company’s money.

MrsO wasn’t elected, appointed, or officially invited to become the FirstLady, she holds that honor because she’s married to the POTUS. Period.
As a private citizen she may do whatever she pleases, but she doesn’t have the right to spend our money or use our resources to make herself look good..

DeniseVB August 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm

My favorite FLOTUS project had to be Lady Bird Johnson’s beautifying our interstates with wildflowers. You still see a lot of these naturalized along I-95 medians.

MO could have promoted, or brought awareness to, many of the wonderful organizations already in place helping people, especially kids and military families. The cost of her private political projects would have helped them immensely. Such as Navy Relief, who promised to cover the paychecks Obama threatened not to hand out if Congress didn’t give in to one of his tantrums.

AFVET August 15, 2012 at 11:24 am

While she has the audacity to scold Gold Medal winner Gabby Douglas on the Jay Leno show for eating an egg McMuffin in celebration for the results of her efforts.
God, I’m sick of these people.

OldTimer August 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Amen!! Bless Gabby. There should have been a big thank you and pat on the back for Gabby for being a great representative of the USA.

There is a much cheaper way to get the word out about obesity. We can all agree there is too much sugar in the American diet. There is a You Tube called “Sugar:The Bitter Truth”. It is an hour and half long and has had 2.7 million views. You Tube also was a short version for kids. It is only 2 and half minutes long. All that needs to be done is encourage the PTA to get it shown in the schools.

Lizzy August 15, 2012 at 10:58 pm

That really made me mad what kind of mother would scold a child on TV
to draw attention to herself?

DeniseVB August 15, 2012 at 11:26 am

It’s yet another campaign event we pay for. Nice publicity in all 54 “voting” districts about our cool First Lady :) Eating healthy and exercise is important, but feeding the hungry kids is higher on my list.

This Let’s Move/Eat Your Veggies is just a way to get us to pay for her trips to fundraisers too. Obviously these children who WON have involved parenting in their lives. I remember when the contest was announced I checked the “entry” form thinking I’d send it to my 10 year twin grandgirls who live in the DC area. It needed to be filled out by an adult to enter, requiring what looked like a campaign info harvest with names/addresses/phone numbers required for entry. Hmmmmm? Maybe for security? Wonder if any GOP kids won? ;)

Just2old August 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

Good point Denise…..and I doubt any of the ‘winners’ are from Republican families.

DeniseVB August 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Yep, bet they matched up the entry info with their donor info. Since it’s an open press event, perhaps one of our brave reporters will ask that question ?

pianogirl88 August 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

I think she’s decided it’s time for planting fall veggies in the WH garden out back, and she’s bringing in the kids to take the “shovel ready” jobs to help her.

Lizzy August 15, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Calling Whole Foods again.

pianogirl88 August 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm

It’s about a mile or two up 16th Street, with a right turn on P Street, go two blocks and there you are….so easy, even a first lady could do it!

Lizzy August 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Sorta like Target only for her ‘garden’ :)

Terika August 15, 2012 at 11:45 am

A kid from every state? 54???

Where are the other 3???

Oh, and I’m sure that 1/2 the kids are not Dems… And that it will reflect the racial demographics of the US. As in @ 12% black…

Granny Jan August 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

A local girl, Rachel, is going to be at the event for her recipe for olive tapenade and goat cheese and greens. It’s very Amherst/Northampton. I hear that kids all over America want this yummy veggie option.

Star August 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I would bet money these “concoctions” would be prime trading items at the lunch table. Tapenade? Seriously? Ground up olives? Olive leather?

movedtothefarm August 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Not to mention that these items can be found on-sale every week at your local grocer.

srdem65 August 15, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Love the ‘update’.
It’s been my experience with children that their own cuisine runs from mud pies to a pb & j sammy.

DeniseVB August 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I was going to tell my grands to enter the Winnie-the-Pooh ….. mix pnut butter, honey and crumbled bacon in a bowl, spread on bread or toast. Yum !

Star August 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I believe bacon is a sep food group or should be.

wodiej August 16, 2012 at 4:17 am

oh geez, you wouldn’t believe the things my brother would make. Once he made a bologna sandwich slathered with mayo, pb and j, cottage cheese, grape jelly and oreo cookies dunked in milk. It just about made the rest of us sick just to look at it. lol

ImNoDhimmi August 16, 2012 at 8:17 am

My son used to put canned whipped cream on his hotdog. Gag!

Rod August 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Michelle has become the new Food Nazi. I’m sure you all heard about Moochelle lecturing that Olympic gymnast about eating a freaking egg McMuffin at McDonalds, as if they young lady hadn’t been counting calories and getting proper exercise for the last 4 years. How utterly pathetic she has become (or is, rather – I think she’s been pathetic for a long time but it’s not just being exposed).

Car in August 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Wanna see fit kids? Go to a soccer match. I mostly see healthy kids, but then I mostly see and meet kids that are involved in sports.

At a soccer tournament, you’d be hard pressed to find more than a couple of overweight kids.

I wonder what the connection is?

BTW – my kids love sweet things and all that horrible stuff Michelle is always going on about. The trick is that they have a bit, then go run around.

wodiej August 16, 2012 at 4:15 am

Exactly. Everything in moderation. A lot of the problem is parents are not getting their kids involved in activity. They are spending way too much time in front of the TV or texting their friends.

WMP August 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Blah blah blah…..Certainly obesity is an issue and I guess we should appreciate her efforts towards that…..blah blah blah, but like everything else they do – they inundate you with this stuff. While it is wonderful that she is encouraging kids – why didn’t she get some corporations to sponsor the event – i.e. no tax payer money. I commented to my husband about the comments to Gabby Douglas – he did say she was teasing her – while I agree that’s probably what it was, can’t she just once let that pass? Couldn’t she have just said – boy, if I had trained like you and wanted to reward myself, I probably would have also had french fries, a milkshake and whatever other sinful thing there was on the menu – you certainly deserve it. But no – gotta bring up not eating the right thing. Does anyone really believe that her daily diet, three meals a day, never includes anything outrageous just because. I am so weary.

Rod August 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm

it’s typical liberalism – there’s always this fingernails-on-the-chalkboard preaching they do. I think it’s funny that there is some (not surprisingly) Chevy commercial with some eco-wacko going on about his car’s environmentally friendly features while everyone wants to listen to the radio. How perfect – captive audience hearing poorly timed preaching about liberalism /gag

DisgustedVoter August 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This ghetto grifter thinks that America is her checkbook to spend as much as she wants on anything she wants. She makes me want to puke.

Julie Brueckheimer August 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I take issue with Mochelle appearing on Jay Leno with Gold Medalist Gabby. I wonder if it is the beginning of the Obamas ——- off of the Olympians as if his having been President and her healthy eating program have anything to do with their hard earned accomplishments. After all, they didn’t get those gold medals by themselves.

Anonna August 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I’d have been much more impressed with Moochmore Obama if she’d taken on the issue of teen pregnancy.

It appears that she has no problem with that kind of weight gain.

Junius August 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Wonder if the kids will be served one of President Obuttma’s favorite dish: Boiled Dog?

mo1 August 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm

The Main Stream Media is reporting that the White House now brews its own beer, which is stocked on that huge bus we paid for the president to campaign in. The MSM thinks this is a “cute” story. Not me. I wonder how much this mcro-brewery is costing us. I wonder if anyone atually controls the White House budget . I have read that the budget for operating the White House is spread over more than 10 agenices. So it may not be possible for us to find out what its operation costs. I do not see why the White House needs its own brewery. And you can be sure the jobs did not go to average Americans in the private sector.

wodiej August 16, 2012 at 4:12 am

Child obesity and excessive weight is a problem. But the answer is educating parents on how to control the diet of their own children not the White House doing it! But then look around at the parents of these kids. Overweight, unhealthy diet and habits. This causes all kinds of health problems and the rest of us pay for it.

Lizzy August 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

When I was in the one room school house we did things in gym that
would be almost akin to water boarding. Archery, fencing and then when I was really young the dreaded dodgeball! It’s wonder I survived:)

bissell proheat 2x December 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Finally, replace the bag and clean or replace the now dirty exhaust filter.
Although the low price of many steam cleaners may seem enticing, it is important to consider the
quality of the machine. It is also important that you should consider its form.

Stevie December 12, 2013 at 1:48 pm

One of your best options is to purchase all of the speakers together,
as one kit. The speaker selector will help you to watch a movie within the living room without blasting the
movie soundtrack within the kitchen at the same
time. You don’t ought to roam all over, hauling huge audio
systems each of the way back for a living
room.

http://great-world-of-coffee.webnode.com/ December 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

* For one, when picking out coffee, this coffeemaker does its best
product with finer grinds. When you are ready to use a
sip of the nice, tasty espresso drink everything that needs being done would be to heat up the drink.
Burr grinders typically have a setting for every type of
coffee maker.

Jenni August 10, 2014 at 1:08 pm

You might have “AL1″,”AL2″, “AL3 or ” AL4″ to choose from. It is additionally so striking and clean it makes a great fashion statement. The cells are very integral to the RISEMAN’s design that you simply would not notice them.