Two Thirds Think Rich People Benefit America

by Keith Koffler on May 11, 2012, 1:30 pm

Uh oh. Is someone’s class warfare strategy a miscalculation? A new Gallup poll finds that 63 percent of Americans think the existence of rich people benefits the country

From Gallup:

Despite the recent political emphasis on wealth inequality and the call for higher taxes on the rich, more than six in 10 Americans think the United States benefits from having a class of rich people, unchanged from 22 years ago.

Even independents think so.

And note that last figure. By a small margin, Democrats think so too.

Is it possible that Americans still believe in rewards for success? That you can dream big, that the sky’s the limit, and that the government isn’t entitled to a larger and larger share of your wealth?

Suggestion for a new Romney slogan: “I’m rich and I love it!”

A.J. May 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

No, no, no Keith. Repeat after me – “From each according to his means to each according to his needs”!!!

You know, I’m old enough to remember learning in school that this commie crap was just that. CRAP!! Wow, has that turned around 108 degrees!

It’s good to see the majority of Americans still seem to believe in getting something in return for hard work.

DeniseVB May 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm

“Have you ever been given a job by a poor person ?” That’s my favorite line from the class war battles.

MT for re-redistribution May 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm

It just amazes me how much democrats are driven by envy. Like it really hurts them that some people have more than they do.

I was given absolutely nothing in life. I even dropped out of high school. But I rallied :-) and went to school, worked as an engineer, got a masters degree, now I do well. And yes, I pay a $hitload of taxes. My vote counts no more or less than a loser that sits and waits for the Obamamatic gubmint pez dispenser to spit them a check, on my dime. It’s not right. Stop representation without taxation!!

Susan May 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm

You are proof positive that rugged individualism pays off. You could have become a ward of the state after dropping out of high school, but you persevered and achieved the American dream. Good on you MT.

Just2old May 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred….
William J.H. Boetcker (1916)

SnarkEsq. May 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm

The Ten Cannots, I love it. Too bad so many people these days don’t appreciate and encourage personal responsibility.

srdem65 May 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Of course we love the rich, we wish WE were rich.
No kid ever wanted to man the french fry station at Wendy’s, they wanted to be something special that earns them a boat-load of cash.

Susan May 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Well said srdem.

A.J. May 11, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Unfortunately we now have lots of kids who don’t want to man the french fry station, but who want a boat-load of cash without DOING anything for it. Wealth inequality?? Let’s each take a nice VAKAY to Spain and bill somebody else for it.

Mike C May 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I think that there are plenty of rich-haters buying lottery tickets on a regular basis.

SnarkEsq. May 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Keith, here’s an interesting little tidbit that I haven’t see reported anywhere else except by Lynn Sweet:

Under Obamacare, HHS just gave $5.9 million to BHO best buddy, Dr. Eric Whitaker for the program he runs at University of Chicago Hospital. Whitaker and his wife are part of the entourage that go on every vacation to Hawaii and Maratha’s Vineyard, and are often at the White House for long holiday weekends and events, including the last state Dinner. (He golfs with BHO).

This University of Chicago Medicine Center’s program, “The Urban Health Initiative”, is the same program that was created for Michelle Obama to run back in 2006. Apparently, Michelle didn’t accomplish the task of helping get poor people out of the hospital emergency room and matched up with clinics and doctors near their homes. So, HHS just gave Whitaker almost $6 million to create a database to help these people (potentially 200,000, they say) find medical care. It’s supposed to create 90 jobs in Chicago – what, just to make a database of community health centers, clinics, and doctors for these potential patients? HHS claims they hope it saves money because fewer people will have emergency room visits. (Again, that was supposedly MO’s job to take care of years ago).

Something about this STINKS.

Susan May 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Well he failed at getting the Olympics to Chicago so he has to pay off the Chicago gang one way or the other. HHS has that $500 billion slush fund stolen from Medicare by the Democrats when they passed Obamacare. The cronies come before Medicare patients just like the cronies came before taxpayers with the $500 million loan to Solyndra.

DeniseVB May 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

It still sounds like patient dumping to me. I didn’t see anything in the article that says it helps the poor with medical expenses? Just keeping their cooties away from the elite hospital.

SnarkEsq. May 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

You’re right, Denise. The whole program is a joke and HHS just threw almost $6 million of our tax dollars at it.

Keith Koffler May 12, 2012 at 10:46 am

Very interesting. Thanks for posting Snark.

SnarkEsq. May 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm

No problem, Keith. As always, thank YOU for this great blog and all your hard work!

NON-OCCUPYING POSTER May 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

But oh, what about the one-third that are sure the rich are evil. That’s still quite a few people with narrow minds and a tendency to be gullible.

Deadbolt May 12, 2012 at 8:40 am

still…THAT many Dems think otherwise?

Shaking my head….

As one of the few Chicagoans who don’t buy the Dem crap, I’ll quote my usual line to my liberal co-workers:

How many poor people have offered you a job?

I know, not entirely original, but c’mon people…

Deadbolt May 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

Ah, Denise beat me too it earlier on…

Well, the thought still holds…

Girly1 May 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

“Note the language. These people are not just saying it’s alright to be rich. They’re saying IT HELPS EVERYONE to have wealthy people around.”

Exactly, Keith. Without the wealthy around, there would be no houses to rob, cars to steal, pockets to pick and Obama certainly couldn’t send out those welfare checks every month. The rich are just a necessary ‘evil’!

Girly1 May 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

Obama doesn’t want to kill the ‘golden goose’….he just wants to torture it!

Susan May 14, 2012 at 8:59 am

More like Chinese water torture…

Lizzy May 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

Since they no longer teach history I guess the OWS bunch don’t know how we
got to be such wealthy country. This country started with the rich way back
Astor’s, Rockeffer’s all those oil and mining Barron’s who made the money to
create the industrial revolution. Without people that had the money to take the
risks to spend fortunes we wouldn’t be where we are today.

mo July 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Are you serious?

The only debate is whether they should pay more taxes. Of course rich people are good for America. And they should pay more taxes.

Why do you see that as a contradiction?