Obama Says He Supports Gay Marriage

by Keith Koffler on May 9, 2012, 3:26 pm

Updated 5:04 pm ET

President Obama completed his “evolution” today on gay marriage, announcing that he supports same-sex unions.

Obama spoke to ABC News during an interview this afternoon that had been hastily arranged this week after Vice President Biden expressed support for gay marriage Sunday and White House Press Secretary Jay Carney Monday received a shellacking from reporters who had finally become incredulous over Obama’s position that he opposed gay marriage but his views were “evolving.”

Let me take a moment to toot my horn and note that I predicted this yesterday. The political downside of Obama’s ridiculous, dishonest “I’m evolving on this issue” stance had come to outweigh the problems Obama would incur if he made his support for gay marriage known, I wrote.

Obama, you’ll notice in the video, suggested that he has backed gay marriage for some time, which is credible. He also suggested that he had withheld announcing his support out of respect for others, which is also credible if by that he means he DIDN’T WANT TO LOSE THEIR VOTES.

“I had hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought civil unions would be sufficient” to guarantee rights for gays, he said. “and I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people, the word “marriage” was something that evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs, and so forth.”

Obama said he felt compelled to “affirm” his support for gay marriage because of an appreciation the lives and struggles of homosexuals he had observed and known over the past few years.

“At a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

Here’s Obama in August 2008 with Rick Warren.

Flip flopper.

JBH May 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Who cares!

langley barfly May 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

its Obama’s personal opinion… what the h*ll does this have to do with anything ‘important’?

Andy from Beaverton May 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

what the h*ll does this have to do with anything ‘important’?”
Because Michelle is going to reveal that she is really a man.

If Obama says his views are evolving, has his appetite for pets, besides dogs, evolved?

veritaseequitas May 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors fighting on his behalf? Seriously, I thought they were fighting for their country.
Barack Obama is a troll of the highest magnitude. He looked awfully smug as he made his statement. His homosexual supporters must have ponied up a huge amount of cash to hurry along The O Teaam’s evolution.

Lizzy May 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm

No it’s all about me when it comes to Obama. The military are doing
their job for the country BO is trying to ruin.

Guillermo Grande May 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Wow! I just saw this clip on FOX News and ran to tell my wife about it. THere is someting seriously wrong with this man and his ego. Fighting on “my” behalf? And conservatives a dangerous and extreme?

Sometimes I am certain he will win this November. I’m just not sure how he will do it. But one thing for certain, it will get much, much worse for all of us before he does win.

Boo May 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm

“……..fighting on HIS behalf….” Wow – if we hadn’t suspected Narcissistic Personality Disorder” previously, this statement alone should clinch the diagnosis!. What a display of hubris.

Wigglesworth May 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Ok now we can go back to his failed policies.

Mr. T. May 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Distraction of the Week.

lcsouthern May 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Now let’s see what the fallout is when new poll numbers come in…

MFS May 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” – April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.

Anything for a vote.

SpeakingOut May 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm
Susan May 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm

He’d sell his soul to the Russkies if he thought it would get him another donation or another vote.

old and in the way May 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Exactly Susan, and that is in NO WAY far fetched. The man is nothing more than a parasite. Latched on to a system he manipulated to be the
blood sucking , self serving , profane , vile , nicotine addicted, lying,
trashy chicago thug that he is (to put it mildly).

gracepmc May 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Susan — I think he already did that.

NON-OCCUPYING POSTER May 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm

His stance must be “within his pay grade” unlike another issue that bothers me about this fraud.

SpeakingOut May 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm

He is using the John Kerry method “I was against it before I was for it.”

Just2old May 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Political suicide? Over 30 states have voted to ban same-sex marriage.

Janna May 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Christians, blacks and hispanics are not exactly fans of gay marriage….does the man want to lose this election ? Sure is looking that way from this side of the voting booth.

MFS May 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

He did say that his daughters have friends who are same-sex parents. Wow, reproductive science has come a long ways since only a male and female could become parents.
So much for the snark.

Flip-flop, etch-a-sketch, and no base core will finally be scrubbed from the Dems anti-Romney dialogue because their standard bearer has finally evolved into a two-faced liar. He doesn’t like capitalism, free enterprise, coal fired energy, any fossil fuel, apple pie and the 4th of July. He didn’t tell anyone these things in 2008 because he knew he couldn’t beat MrsClinton if he told the truth.
Now he comes clean, now he shows us his true colors and we don’t like it.
If I were a resident of WestVirginia, I would have voted for the felon, too.

srdem65 May 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Sorry MFS, I didn’t check the name before posting.
That’s me ^^

Sadie May 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Keith, I started to post a comment but noted MFS was still in the info box (don’t worry MFS, I won’t share the info – in fact, I won’t remember the info either – too old).

Secondly, your crystal ball (insight) was spot on.

No doubt, President “still evolving” faced with the DNC convention in NC, which just amended the state constitution on gay marriage, was a deciding factor. The Dems must be “plotzing” that they chose NC.

Car in May 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm

His stance all along has been political. He was for it before he really took the national stage … then retreated. Now, he’s forced into a corner and he PROUDLY announces his evolution. Pathetic.

Barkley Pontree May 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Obama has always supported gay marriage. I lived in Illinois when he ran for state senate (and a cook county judge threw all the competition off the ballot for him) and he signed a questionire in 1998 that said he fully supported gay marriage. They showed him talking about it back then on The Daily Show last night.

So he’s always been for it. It should be no surprise to anyone. What forced him into coming out of the closet, to coin a phrase, was Biden’s foot in his mouth over the weekend and the fact the Daily Show was making fun of Obama last night. When the Daily Show attacks him, that is telling.

I also loved Shep Smith’s comment today after showing the film of Obama’s announcement and Shep commented the president came into the 21st century. Gee, Shep, got anything else you want to tell us?

barkleypontee.blogspot.com

langley barfly May 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm

you mean Shep “piano bar” Smith? (*wink*)
seemed like Shep was getting his panties all in knot over this

Mike C May 10, 2012 at 8:12 am

Shep is gay. Sort of openly. And Am I wrong that he seems to be getting old fast? I mean his looks as well as his commentary during a newscast.

Mike C May 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Give me Brett anyday over Sheppsie.

BARKLEY PONTREE May 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

You are talking about ‘for the news’ aren’t you? Aren’t you?

I take care of my pop with alzheimers and we turn on Fox News for lunch. Most of the time it’s Megan Kelly time out here in Mountain Time, but sometimes it runs over into Shep and I usually turn the TV off or turn it to something more entertaining like the PBS painting show or Colonoscopies Live or even soccer; yes, I’d rather watch soccer than Shep.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

Anonna May 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Perhaps he has evolved because he’s figured out that homosexual marriages being legal makes it harder to argue against polygamy and polyandry. I’ve alread seen it argued, “Suppose a bunch of people do all want to marry as a group, who has the right to discriminate against them and stop them?”

Muslim votes for Obama? Radical Mormon votes for Obama?

This guy never does anything without step or two planned ahead. It will be interesting to watch him reveal the associated grabs.

Mindiddy May 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm

You called it. You know, in some ways his is the most transparent administration in history.

WMP May 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm

The people who thought it was important for him to say he supported gay marriage are going to vote for him either way. Those who disagree aren’t going to vote for him anyway. It may affect some votes, but overall I don’t think it will change anything significantly. I honestly don’t care either way. The major problem is how the issue is forced down people’s throats and if they disagree, they are demonized. (Remember what happened in California).

What is truly disgusting and unfortunately it happens on both sides of the aisle is….If it is true that he was told funds were being withheld until he came out in support of gay marriage and that was the motivation for suddenly involving and setting up the ABC interview, etc. it really proves how unprincipled he is and shame on him.

I recall that George Bush and Dick Cheney agreed to disagree on gay issues – it was respectful and wasn’t part of the platform. It shouldn’t be this year either – it’s about the economy and efforts to throw our serious financial problems under the rug for this type of issue is shameful.

gracepmc May 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm

He’s just getting slimy now. It’s creepy — those beautifully tailored suits and this shifty guy.

gracepmc May 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Talk about creepy — apparently he said this also.

[W]hen I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf…

Really. Our troops are fighting on his behalf? I had always imagined they were fighting on behalf of the nation. (ht Red State)

Girly1 May 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm

“At a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married”

Note the use of the personal pronouns – 4x in one sentence. He neglected to add that he and the Federal govt. have no Constitutional authority to enact same-sex marriage laws ! So who cares what he thinks?

In addition to his severe narcissistic personality disorder, this jerk suffers from an inoperable condition called ‘forked tongue syndrome’!

This guy, Obama, has wasted nearly 4 years and over 5 Trillion $$$ with his shuck n’ jive diversionary tactics – from the Cambridge cop and the Harvard professor to Trayvon. He has kept the country in a perpetual state of chaos – a direct tactic of Saul Alinsky. If he isn’t thrown out on his skinny Kenyan posterior this November, I’m going to become a political refugee in Iraq or somewhere!

Girly1 May 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

OMG, gracepmc….he didn’t really say that! Creepy is the only way to describe him – you nailed him. I might just add ‘ignorant’ to the mix – ignorant creep! I have always maintained that he should be evaluated by a team of psychiatrists – his extreme narcissism has put the country at risk – it’s all about HIM! He should never be allowed to serve another term unless it’s in Alcatraz or GITMO!

gracepmc May 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm

To put the idiocy of the “on my behalf” comment with the same sex position of today, see this http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/my-behalf_644310.html
Michelle is going to be disappointed when she finds out that when they leave the WH, the military doesn’t come with.

jerry May 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Apparently a lot of his fans that bundle money told him to make his decision and make the right decision if he was serious about getting anymore money from them.

So basically he was blackmailed into saying this.

Bet he wishes Joe Biden was a mute.

Susan May 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Good call Keith, but it is still nothing but a detraction. He’s trying to take our eyes off the devastating defeat he and his fellow travelers suffered in last night’s election. It wasn’t only the North Carolina definition of marriage amendment that passed by 60%. It was the fact that 40% of the Democrat vote went to a federal convict in West Virginia. It was fact that 20% of the Democrat vote in North Carolina went to “none of the above”. It was the fact that his pet RINO Lugar lost by more than 20 points to Richard Mourdock in Indiana. It was the fact that the union-backed Democrat in the Wisconsin special election primary lost to another Democrat. It was the fact that Governor Walker earned 97% of the Republican vote. In fact he earned more votes in the Republican primary than both his Democrat opponents combined. Tough day for the campaigner in chief. It was politically expedient for him to come out of the closet today. He and his sycophant press would prefer to just ignore last night’s election results…

Guillermo Grande May 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Wow – well said – brought some good points to the table.

Guillermo Grande May 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Well that wasn’t me (the real Guillermo Grande) but I agree with you susan. Wonder if MSM is playing the run off between the two felons in the WV dem primary or will it be non issue after non issue. We “always kinda knew” HE would come out on this topic. It’s the reference to “…my behalf…” that is truly dictator personified. HE sees us as serving HIM!

Susan May 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

His statement that the troops fight on his behalf reveals more about his psychotic narcissism than anything else he said in that staged interview. Maybe he believes he’s the second coming…

Just2old May 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Very sad day for our men and women in uniform defending the United States of America…vice dick head.

AnotherOpinion May 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This announcement came today:
for 140 million dollars the federal reserve has allowed China to take over 80% of a US bank with assets over 20 Trillion dollars.

Could it be his announcement was the smoke screen for this? Maybe that China ad was more to the point than anyone realized.

aunty M May 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Truly I cannot believe this president. It is always me, me, me.
When I read the polls, and see that people are actually planning on voting
for this narcissistic person, I just cannot believe it. It is really sickening.
What has he ever done for the people of the USA?

NON-OCCUPYING POSTER May 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm

The President commented he discussed this with his family, friends, and probably Eric “Snake in the Grass” Holder. Michelle, Granny and the girls were undoubtedly thumbs down at first but when told this could cost them the Party House, thumbs and noses turned up.

csinnm May 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm

major disagreement at home tonight – son can’t see the difference between marriage (purpose: to have children and get all the benefits of a loving relationship) and civil union (purpose: get all the benefits of a loving relationship). not opposed to a civil union, but there is still a difference in my mind, despite son calling just semantics.

Girly1 May 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Just heard another stomach-churning clip from the ABC interview:

….”This position may be considered to put us (Moo and Barry) at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith – the thing we think about at root is not only Christ sacrificing Himself on our behalf -but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you want to be treated”.

If he really believes this, his own brother would not be living in a mud hut …and his illegal auntie and drunken illegal uncle would not be living on the taxpayer dole!

Nothing burns me up more than listening to this smug, pompous, America-hating atheist spouting Scriptures and Christianity! He is blasphemous and sacriligious! He is the devil incarnate and has made an absolute mockery of Christianity. I don’t say these things lightly!

Mr. T. May 10, 2012 at 1:30 am

I concur wholeheartedly…he’s so full of crap. And like most (wanna-be) dictators, he can’t stand being out of the public eye. I can’t remember a time when he wasn’t talking. Just go away.

Tom Poole May 10, 2012 at 7:07 am

Mr. Obama needs to surrender his ‘commander in chief’ hat. To insult the men and women of our armed forces by stating they were fighting for him is bad enough, to imply that they might be ‘closet gays’, all just waiting anxiously for his approval to engage in a massive orgy, is flat out insulting and unacceptable.
These folks are doing what Obama refuses to do, fighting to “preserve and protect the Constitution”. They do not fight for democrats or republican presidents, but for all the people of these United States.
I hope each and every one of them is made aware of the malicious and degradeing comments of this person who claims their honor, and reacts appropriately in November.

KJ May 10, 2012 at 9:49 am
DMcG May 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

Another word would be “liar.” His views have never changed. He crafts his public statements to suit the perceived mood of the day.

acai berry June 19, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Obama Says He Supports Gay Marriage | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

XJbO August 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

151650 463461Hiya! Great blog! I happen to be a every day visitor to your website (somewhat much more like addict ) of this web site. Just wanted to say I appreciate your blogs and am searching forward for much more! 234095

jokowi dan basuki - what makes you beautiful by one direction parody September 16, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Everything is very open with a very clear description of the challenges.
It was really informative. Your site is useful. Thank you for sharing!, http://goo.gl/dVucqo