Michelle: Election to Affect Nation for ‘Decades’

by Keith Koffler on April 18, 2012, 9:42 am

Updated 9:40 am ET

First Lady Michelle ObamaTuesday suggested President Obama has ambitious goals for his second term, asserting that the result of the contest for the presidency will have far-reaching effects on the country.

The Obama campaign has not offered a detailed look at the Obama’s plans for the nation should he be reelected. But Mrs. Obama’s remarks indicate that the president will try to anchor into place an enduring liberal template that will set the country on a permanent path to the left.

At a Pittsburgh fundraiser, the first lady was unequivocal that the campaign was a battle for the nation’s soul, asking repeatedly, “Who are we?”

We’re here because we all know that next November we’re going to make a choice that will impact our lives for decades to come.  We know this.  You’re here because you know that choice will not just affect all of us in this room, but it’s going to affect our children, it’s going to affect our grandchildren, and it’s going to impact the world we leave for them long after we’re gone

And trust me, that is why I’m here today as well, and that’s why I am going to be campaigning like nobody’s business all over this country for the next six and a half months . . .  . . . the choice we make will determine nothing less than who we are as a country.

But in her remarks, Mrs. Obama made clear the philosophy undergirding Obama’s second term would feature a kind of collectivist vision that seeks to ensure success for all – as opposed to ensuring opportunity for all – while leveling off the earnings of the most successful.

Will we be the country where opportunity is limited to the few at the top?  Is that who we are?  Or will we be a place where if you work hard, you can get ahead, no matter who you are or where you come from?  Who are we?  That’s fundamentally what we have to ask ourselves as we work toward this goal.  Will we tell folks who have done everything right — our neighbors, our family members — but they’re falling on hard times, are we going to looking them in the face and tell them, “tough luck, you’re on your own”?  I mean, who are we?

Or will we honor that fundamental belief that we’re all better off when we work together.  This country is strongest when we’re all better off.

Mrs. Obama continued her annoying habit of suggesting those who disagree with her and her husband are bad people. Here she discussed Obamacare, imperiled – apparently – by the potential election of Mitt Romney.

Since that law was passed, millions of our senior citizens have saved an average of more than $600 a year on their prescription drugs.  So we have to ask ourselves, are we going to take that savings away?  Is that who we are?  Are we going to allow insurance companies to refuse coverage for our children?

Is that who we are? A bunch of jerks?

Please.

MarjoJimbo April 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Sounds kind of desperate to me.

Susan April 17, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’m calling BS on that claim of saving seniors $600 a year on prescriptions, unless removing the drugs they need from the Medicare formulary is considered a savings. She lies and demagogues as much as her “better half”.

srdem65 April 17, 2012 at 8:11 pm

MrRomney was in Pittsburgh today, too.

MrsObama spent 15 minutes being “greeted” by members of the 911th AFB who petioned her to help stop the closure of the base.
The meet and greet was held on the tarmac by AF1 and then she was whisked off in a black SUV and entourage.

Mrs Compton April 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

AF1? Is it common for the foist lady to use AF1? Seems a tad overkill and expensive.

Keith Koffler April 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

What was all that about if not an event thrown in to make taxpayers pay for this? The White House never did respond to me on that one.

“Hello Mrs. Obama, wonderful to see you, simply wonderful, welcome, would you like a pastry? Can I hold your coat? Marvelous to see you. Please stop by again.”

Jack April 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The juicy part when she said: “This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light.”

Susan April 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm

“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Mike C April 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

she thinks she is the Virgin Mary, married to Jesus.

sportinlife10 April 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

So is it Isaiah, Corinthians, the Koran or whatshisface the speechwriter? All?
We may never see such richness in metaphors again. If our luck holds.

Mari April 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Yep, that’s a light alright. Unfortunately, it’s the headlight on the massive train wreck he’s helped to create/continue.

Girly1 April 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

What is all this “WE” liingo about??? I would love to know who her captive audiences are! She can barely string two sentences together…even with the teleprompter! I would rather be waterboarded than listen to that ignorant welfare queen!

Here’s another gem – a rallying point for Racists! Where is the outrage???

MICHELLE OBAMA – TRAYON MARTIN SHOOTING A RALLYING POINT:

Barama Oback April 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Michelle says We, Barack says I.

Lizzy April 18, 2012 at 5:44 am

Must be the royal ‘We’ they are royalty don’t you know:)

DeniseVB April 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

MO’s making it about race problems in our country? We all know that the Trayvon story would have never gone national if Zimmerman spelled his first name Jorge.

GWShrub April 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm

What about THIS story? Where’s the outrage & the racist remarks?

SnarkEsq. April 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm

“…and that’s why I am going to be campaigning like nobody’s business all over this country for the next six and a half months.”

You left out the next sentence – and on EVERY SINGLE ONE of those fundraising trips, I will be sure to stop at an “event” for “Let’s Move!” or do a meet and greet photo opp for “Joining Forces” so I can bill most of the fundraising trip to the taxpayers! Aren’t Barack and I just BRILLIANT?

Keith Koffler April 18, 2012 at 11:45 am

Probably true.

Barama Oback April 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Keith I agree with you on what she said about the next election will impact us for decades. If her hubby is re-elected then it will take decades,if possible, to recover from the Stateist’s Obama destruction of the greatest nation on God’s green Earth. Thanks Mark.

Quintis Arrius April 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm

The $600 dollar “savings” is a mandated edict to “encourage” seniors to use generics over name brand meds in the Medicare Complete programs. Big deal. It is not a universal situation since some seniors still work or have better coverage than straight Medicare or Medi/Medi plans. Besides the idea of not paying for something is a SAVINGS is the typical liberal mind trick.

Sadie April 18, 2012 at 2:47 am

Campaigning. BIG YUCK. I am sure she meant to say cam-paining. She opens her mouth and I have an instant headache from my eyes rolling towards the back of my head.

Tasmanian_Devil April 18, 2012 at 7:16 am

Actually, if Obwana is reelected, the election will affect our nation FOREVER!

Another term for this slug, and we will HAVE no country!

MaryOhSoContrary April 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

I want to expand on srdem65′s comments above.

I live in Pittsburgh and FLOTUS gracing our fair city with her presence had the local true believers of HopeyChangey all aflutter. Think Justin Beiber but for UNIONISTAS.

Much was said about Mooch’s “tireless” work for mitary families. She “tirelessly” spent less than three minutes (if that!) on the tarmac after deplaninv AF1. Greater Pittsburgh International Airport is the home to the 911th Airlift…which is scheduled to CLOSE due to draconian Obama budget cuts (300 civilian jobs will be lost along with about 300 million to local economy)…but dont look at that…look over here…inst Mrs. O “fashionable” and “amazing” …and her is a linky to local coverage;

After the toil of greeting the icky bitter clingers, Mrs. 0 was “whisked”‘away to two fundraises (no mention of what was served, but my guess no Isaly’s chipped ham). The back to airport (Tarmac Fabreezed no doubt) and off she flew (after seriously messing up evening traffic–those who still have jobs going home).

Mari April 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

Isaly’s chipped ham!!!! They should have TOTALLY served that to her, followed by a double dip cone! I miss Isaly’s – sniff, sniff…

Car in April 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

WHATTTT?????

I find this in the post-gazette:

The Obama-backers paid a minimum of $250 at the earlier reception. The Fox Chapel dinner guests contributed $10,000 per couple. Proceeds from the events were to be split between the Obama re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Following normal custom, the cost of the trip was split between the White House and the campaign

Humn … she honestly is billing us when all she did was MEET THEM ON THE TARMAC? you’ve GOT to be kidding me.

Neil C Denver April 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

If Obama really cared for his kind, he’d exhort them to a) learn to speak English, and b) finish high school.

High school graduation rates in the United States fall into the bottom-third of all industrialized countries. And the New York Times revealed the following high school graduation rates:

Asian-Americans 91.4%
White-Americans 61.1%
Hispanic-Americans 63.5%
Black-Americans 61.5%

Rather than inciting Class-warfare and Racial-warfare, Obama should urge parents to encourage their children to “be the best that they can”, rather than urging them to “Put on you marching shoes”. For America to succeed in a highly competitive global economy, we need the fastest growing segments of our population to become productive citizens. Granted, cultural change is difficult, but look at the Asian-Americans who have embraced it and prospered as well.

SandraC April 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Actually, it’s shocking that white-americans fare no higher than, basically, last place! I thought white kids were graduating with a higher percentage than that.

No racism in my assumption, it’s just how things were. How sad that the “I’s” dominate kids’ interests and desires: The personal “I” first, then the iPod, iPad, and all-time-consuming texting on the iPhone!

I grew up five miles out in the country with no local transportation other than a bicycle, two feet and/or when important, my parents/brother driving me. School was such an important learning and social factor in my life! I loved going, felt grateful a bus stopped at my driveway to gather me up and drop me off, and appreciated the outlet to knowledge that was introduced to me. If I missed the bus home, I could take a second bus dropping me off a mile from home. If I missed that one, I walked the whole five miles home, and did so, many times.

Nowadays, young people were “shocked” to learn that the “Titanic” movie was really an event that “actually happened” a century ago! That is, if they’ve learned that a century is 100 years, which I doubt, since if they can’t learn WWII became part of our lives Dec. 7, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked by _______ (space here because I don’t think the young generation actually know who attacked us).

I loved learning and history and am so shocked that it’s not important to our youngsters…

Mari April 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

Looks like there was a typo in the percentage for whites; an articled in the Washington Post from last March states:

Researchers found that graduation rates vary by race, with 91.8 percent of Asian students, 82 percent of whites, 65.9 percent of Hispanics and 63.5 percent of blacks

Still not good enough for any group…

Susan April 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

Off topic but relevant. Last night a Cuban refugee called into Mark Levin’s show and told his story of escape from tyranny. What most of us take for granted, this man cherishes and his experience should be a warning to us all…

Keith Koffler April 18, 2012 at 11:47 am

Tanks for sharing that.

Wigglesworth April 18, 2012 at 10:15 am

No class.

Just2old April 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

A scary glimpse into our future if the monster is reelected.

Russell April 18, 2012 at 11:28 am

If Barry is re-elected, I think that he will wage an all out war on America. I know some of you will reply that he already has. I agree, he has. I think that he is still ticked off about the blistering results of the 2010 elections. Because the GOP regained control of the house, to some measure Barry’s “transformation” efforts have been slowed or stalled. Thus the reason we see the executive orders and the increase in regulations coming out of the departments because, even as he has stated, he can not work through the regular constitutionally mandated manner, so he claims he must use the EO’s and regulations to transform America. Once he is re-elected, he would be free to pickup from where he left off at the end of 2010 because he would not be concerned about another election. Remember what he told the ruskie last month that he would be free to work with them once re-elected? We should expect Barry to go after guns/2nd amendment, religious institutions in a huge way (we got a glimps of that with the catholics) and on and on. Heaven help us.

gringo April 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm

BS, pure BS. Goebbels would be so proud.

Pendejo Alert !!!

Chris April 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m not pointing fingers but many things that Obama is promising sounds awful like the promises made to Korea 60 years ago. I’m just saying ….o.O So punish the hard workers who achieve success and reward those who are lazy and sits on their butts complaining? Is that Obama’s 2012? This country is going down hill from what I see. Not something I would like to teach my kids.

MichelleIndependent April 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Barry and the Beard must go.

ABO

Steve April 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

And that’s what I’m terrified of–if Obama gets another four years, the country WILL be affected negatively for decades to come. It will take years and years to undo what this idiot wants to do. And once we get a generation to expect handouts and bailouts, the future is gone.

LivnLaVidaBroka April 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

” . . . contest for the presidency will have far-reaching effects on the country.”

That’s what we’re afraid of.

Robert Hagemeyer April 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yes, you are a bunch of jerks.