Washington Fans Taunt Anti-Obama Bruins Goalie

by Keith Koffler on April 17, 2012, 12:34 pm

Washington Capitals fans Monday night taunted All Star Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas for his public opposition to President Obama, festooning the glass behind him with photos of the president.

The Caps played Boston in Washington last night in the third game of their first-round Stanley Cup Playoff series.

Here’s a shot posted to Twitter by @recordsANDradio of the scene behind the net.

Capitals fans taunt Tim Thomas with Obama photos

Thomas, you may remember, skipped the January trip the Bruins made to the White House to meet with the president as a reward for their Stanley Cup Victory last year. Thomas issued the following statement at the time explaining his decision.

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL. This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.

Quite brave, I’d say, for someone playing in the city of Boston.

Anyway, the Bruins won, taking a 2-1 lead in the series.

{ 1 trackback }

William April 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

What sport is this? The guy is wearing some sort of helmet, but it’s clearly not football.

Shofar April 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

It’s one of the three greatest games played. Baseball, football, and hockey, in no particular order.

The one where they run around in shorts throwing a piece of inflated rubber into a peach basket, and the one where you smack a little white ball into a cow pasture never made sense to me.

I would love to see the Bruins go all the way to the Cup, only to be beat by the Blackhawks. Grew up in Chicago, gotta root for the home team!

GotFreedom April 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Classy–the goalie; not the fans!!!

Revenge is a dish best served cold and Mr. Thomas and his team served a big heaping helping of it to these goofballs in DC!

GotFreedom April 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

PS. Love the Caps/hockey; just not their fans!!!

Cooper April 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’d difinitely be shooting at the pictures. Tim Thomas is a classy guy and one helluva goalie.

Janice/Granny Jan April 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

They lost. Who cares? In Boston it’s been over a while and Tim Thomas can be seen in many commercials as usual. Thomas won’t comment on it so it ended.

srdem65 April 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Most of the photos look pretty snarky and not at all complimentary to the O.

IMO, real hockey fans don’t give a dang about the political thoughts of any player; some of the players aren’t even American citizens. Real hockey fans want to see action on the ice, the rougher the better.

The last hockey game I attended was a free-for-all on the ice and in the fan sections. I went home covered in spilled beer and popcorn stuck to my hair.

Susan April 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Hey I thought all hockey games were like that. My guess is the posters were a product of a few paid agitators, and you’re right some of those photos aren’t very flattering.

srdem65 April 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Good times.

Girly1 April 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Sounds like campaign hanky-panky – I wouldn’t put it past Obama!

ol gator April 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

or his “goonies” who are drunk from idol worship of the silver tongued barry hussein who is working every angle (vacation and lobster included) possible to steal another election…

Mari April 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thomas made his statement, some of the fans made theirs. Big Whoop – free speech lives (at least in this case). No boycotts needed; just two people/groups expressing differing opinons.

Moe April 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I watched that tgame last night, and did not even notice the pictures, read about it this morning. Tim Thomas is the bomb, a damn good goalie…Go Bruins!

Tim Benner April 17, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Sorry Ovi. No longer rooting for you to be the Socialist Capitals. Boston – the home of the Boston Tea Party and Thomas, a supporter.

Middleboro Jones April 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Tim Thomas is an awesome goalie and a true Patriot…..funny how ” protest is patriotic” until President Doofus and Crazy Pelosi were the ones being protested.

GO BRUINS….the Caps will be taken out as The B’s are the World Champions.

joeybitensr April 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I have a picture similar to the one in the caption (second one on the left).
Have it taped to my toilet bowl…

blondie April 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Don’t really like the Bruins,but after this I’m hoping they win the series!

Justavet April 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

The Caps and Obama, losers in common.

ben April 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Revenge indeed. The Caps have now eliminated the defending Stanley Cup Champion Bruins. Hopefully the goalie who wins this year will show more class than Tim Thomas. It wouldn’t take much of an effort.