Obama Earned Nearly $800,000 in 2011

by Keith Koffler on April 13, 2012, 10:54 am

President and Mrs. Obama released their tax returns this morning, reporting earning $789,674 last year, half from the president’s annual $400,000 salary and the other half from income from his books.

From the White House:

Today, the President released his 2011 federal income and gift tax returns.  He and the First Lady filed their income tax returns jointly and reported adjusted gross income of $789,674. About half of the first family’s income is the President’s salary; the other half is from sales proceeds of the President’s books. The Obamas paid $162,074 in total tax.

The President and First Lady also reported donating $172,130 – or about 22 percent of their adjusted gross income – to 39 different charities.  The largest reported gift to charity was a $117,130 contribution to the Fisher House Foundation.  The President is donating the after-tax proceeds from his children’s book to Fisher House, a scholarship fund for children of fallen and disabled soldiers.

The President’s effective federal income tax rate is 20.5 percent.

The Bidens took in $379,035 and paid $87,900 in federal taxes.

{ 1 trackback }

Girly1 April 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

$400K on book sales? The guy has never worked a day in his life….yet his entire fortune is from book sales. I don’t know one person who has ever read one of his books. I suspect there are storage lockers from CA to NYC filled with his books…bought and paid for by the Elect Obama campaign!

Wigglesworth April 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

I think various federal agencies including the State Department bought thousands of copies so basically we paid for some of those books.

Lindy April 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Yet it sounds to me like his book income is down from previous years. I’m not sure about that, but it could be karma.

brstevens April 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Or it could be because he hasn’t written a new book in 5 years. I’m not an Obama guy, but come on.

veritaseequitas April 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

Awww, poor puppies. And just think, since the American taxpayers are feeding them, buying their clothing, providing their housing, utilities, telephone service, cable, transportation, health insurance and sending them on luxurious vacays, they don’t have to spend a penny of it on…anything. It’s easy to save when you have someone else footin’ the bills.

Just2old April 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

I wonder if he thinks an effective tax rate of 20.5% is his “fair” share? I think he should have paid 30% since his gross income was over $1,000,000.00 don’t you?

P. Diddy April 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

Oh my gosh….
They must be broke now, because there is no way that paltry income could POSSIBLY pay for “their share” of the costs on all of their vacations.
GAO anyone? GSA?

Oops, nevermind…..

DeniseVB April 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

At least he didn’t deduct travel expenses, or he’d be getting a mighty big refund :D

Quintis Arrius April 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I would like to see the list of “Charities.”

AZ Granny April 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Why did Obama take any deductions? Is he trying to prove his point about the Buffett rule?

DaveM April 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Does the President not have to pay imputed income tax on all the free stuff he gets, like housing, cleaning/cooking staff, food, etc?

Sadie April 14, 2012 at 1:59 am

earn:
to gain or get in return for one’s labor or service.

author:
a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.

Isn’t it illegal to lie on your tax returns? : )

Crewmax42 August 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

When I have had company sponsored temporary housing, I received a 1099 and had to pay imputed income. Does the President have to pay for living in the White House?

William hale September 15, 2012 at 7:11 am

Do any of y’all realize how rediculous , and bitter you sound??
Where were these comments for President Bush??
What about Clinton??
Or Bush Senior??

And where did this Bullshit notion that the Obama’s are lazy
Unamerican moochers come from!!
You don’t think he worked his ass off to get to the whitehouse
That they haven’t worked twice as hard as you have to be where they are now

I don’t agree with every thing Obama’s done
But what I do agree with is his character
His ability to bring class to situations that deserve a better breed of politician
His common sence, knowing that our problems are bigger and more important than our political affiliations.
And bias.

Now what I don’t understand Is where the hell did respect go??
Being able to disagree with someone with having to belittle every move they make
I’m not sure whats happening in this country
What’s happening to its people
But y’all are smarter than this, you’re better than this!!
Enough with the cheap shots and dim witted comments.
Re earn the right to call yourself ADULTS
From what I can see therer are very few people left standing who have!!
Like him or not OBAMA’S one of them!!!!

William Hale September 15, 2012 at 7:26 am

As a side note
And out of respect
When I wrote this clearly I was a bit heated
I would however like to apologize to any who think
I was mocking the efforts of others.
There are plenty of hard working people in this country
And I respect most of you!!
What I was trying to convey and should have clarified on in the beginning of my previous comment
Was lets give credit where credit is due
As for the rest of my comment I stand by what I have said!!

Ripper Nielsen March 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Can the President spend whatever money he wants to on vacations, is there some sort of policy? There should be! Why can’t he pay for his own vacation like everyone else?