Obama Gets Called Out on his Family’s Vacations

by Keith Koffler on April 13, 2012, 12:30 am

President Obama takes a risk when he does these interviews with local anchors, as he did today from the White House. Often the local guys are intimidated to be in the Oval Office, but sometimes, it’s just the reverse, and they won’t observe the conventions and deference that Washington journalists do.

This local news anchor from KMOV in St. Louis got in Obama’s face about all of the first family’s fancy, taxpayer funded excursions. This is exactly the kind of thing that that a local reporter with some cojones would ask because he is in touch with real people who are offended, while Washington reporters tucked inside the Beltway would find the question beneath them.

Have a look:

Especially nice after Jay Carney condescended to the White House press corps, essentially describing them as spent pieces of used jet trash, in the words of the great Tom Waits. Here’s the exchange from today between Carney and Mark Knoller of CBS.

Q    Jay, what’s left for President Obama to say about the Buffett Rule in his four interviews this afternoon?  (Laughter.)

MR. CARNEY:  I’m glad you asked, because gone are the days when all you had to do was talk to CBS News or ABC, or The New York Times, or CNN, or The Wall Street Journal — (groans)

Q    Or Reuters.

MR. CARNEY:  — or Reuters.  (Laughter.)

Q    Keep going.  (Laughter.)

MR. CARNEY:  I won’t tell your bosses that you volunteered.

Q    Time?

MR. CARNEY:  Or Time Magazine, or — and could be sure that most of the adult population in the country would hear what you had to say.  You know this, Mark, I think better than most here because you’ve seen — you’ve witnessed from this perch here covering the White House the evolution in the media.  And the absolute fact that people across the country get their news in a variety of different ways — they don’t all sit down and listen to the radio as they did before television.  They don’t all watch the same television shows.  There’s just too many outlets — too many outlets, too many alternatives.

Carney, also a former elite Washington reporter with Time, got a little more from the local guy than he bargained for.

{ 1 trackback }

Tom April 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

pwnd!

qestout April 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Perfect :)

Chris April 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Gee would be nice to go on vacation with my tax dollars Obama is spending. So the moral of the story is: Lazy people who do nothing can go on vacations, while hard working people can’t because we are busy paying for their vacations.

Love the Reporter. We need more reporters like that.

Mike C April 13, 2012 at 7:04 am

Does this warrant a reply? I think not.

Mike C April 13, 2012 at 7:04 am

Does this warrant a reply? I think not.

Tom April 13, 2012 at 7:14 am

Easy on the caps there. It’s difficult to decipher but I will do my best.

My personal issue is not the use of Air Force One. It’s like he said, it’s there for s reason and he has every right to use it. My main issue is FLOTUS Moocher-chelle and the kids being flown out to these destinations separately and not together. My issue is tax dollars being spent to house Secret Service detail and the rest of his entourage in high end digs in Hawaii. And heaven forbid he had to cut short a vacation to The Vineyard. ZOMGZ! Much has been said “Well GWB took vacations too” Well Duh..I do realize that, but where did he go? His own house. Where he was seen working even then hosting dignitaries, etc. Again, I’m a realist that it’s a 24hrs a day job. He signed up for it and now he must reap what he has sown.

As for his graduating Magna Cum Laude I will believe it when he releases his college records. And while you are at it, take a look at how much national, state and local governments are taking from a gallon of gas.

Mike C April 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hey I just had an idea. Maybe we should go to the liberal websites and praise Obama in such a stupid, ridiculous manner. It would be fun satire. And maybe his real suporters will think twice about who they are teamed up with. heh heh. Doubt it, I forgot, they DON’T think.

Bob April 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

‘La la la, I caint he yo, fo sho…’

Fo Shizzle….

Susan April 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm

What did the Soup Nazi tell George when he dared to ask for bread? No soup for you!
What did Obama tell the petulant reporter who dared to ask a relevant question? Last interview for you!

Girly1 April 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm

The St. Louis anchor deserves the Peabody award – but he will probably be unemployed next week.

Obama looks like an idiot sitting there with his legs crossed like an effete fop! He never changes the pose – what a puny punk!

Tom April 13, 2012 at 7:16 am

Seems you have Copy and Paste skill under control :)

Bob April 13, 2012 at 7:34 am

Actually Dhalaine, Air Force One is powered by high-octane jet fuel, but you know, it could run on hot air with Obama & Moochelle on board, you know, like a Blimp.

Barama Oback April 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Who changed his diaper when Junior was asked a difficult question?

Shofar April 13, 2012 at 12:34 am

Carney: “And the absolute fact that people across the country get their news in a variety of different ways — they don’t all sit down and listen to the radio as they did before television. They don’t all watch the same television shows. There’s just too many outlets — too many outlets, too many alternatives.”

Perhaps I am being a tad conspiracy theorist here, but Carney’s comment sent shivers down my spine. If the public has too many options, then there is too much chance that the truth will come out on many of the issues we all discuss on this board and other location. The answer, within the government/big brother mind set, is to limit those options. How long will it be, especially if Obama gets a second term, before TV and radio stations start loosing their licenses? How long will it be before portions of the internet/new media are shut down completely?

I have a hard time swallowing the idea that any comment made by any member of this administration is “off the cuff.” Read the lines, but especially between the lines, for therein lies the kernels of their thinking.

Ursula April 13, 2012 at 12:46 am

When this administration shuts down those other options, what they will induce is complete mistrust of the media and the government. We aren’t too far from that now, the total mistrust, and I think too that there a very large number of people who trust nothing of any government minion’s statements. Very scary time, and the antithesis of what this country was founded on.

Car in April 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yea, well, I’ve heard Mitch Albom go on about how horrible it is there are so many sources for information. You see, because we simply are qualified – like reporters are – to pass along information. We haven’t gotten those essential degrees (actually I did major in Journalism), so we cannot discern for ourselves what is newsworthy and what is reliable.

We need a gatekeeper or something.

AFVET April 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think you are dead on in your assessment.
The mechanism is in place to shut down conservative talk radio, and the conservative blogs.
If it appears that the above media outlets are going to prevent Obama from achieving a second term, I have every inclination to believe that they will be either restricted, or eradicated.
Deemed ‘offensive to the state’.

Mindiddy April 13, 2012 at 2:54 am

Gutsy call on the part of the reporter.

Dhalaine Baker April 13, 2012 at 4:34 am

PEOPLE ARE SICK IN THEIR MINDS, HE HARDLY EVER GETS ANYTIME OFF. HE FEED THE HOMELESS AND MUCH MUCH MORE WORK LIKE 24 HOURS , 7 DAYS A WEEK. I LIVE A MILE FROM HIM. HIS JOB IS NOT A PICNIC AT ALL.. HE WORKS, WORKS, WORKS ALL THE TIME. PLEASE SEE MY GROUP ON FACEBOOK, DEMOCHRISTS IS ITS NAME.

Tom April 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

Yep…working 24 hours a day huh? I’m sure Keith can update us soon on how many rounds of golf he is up to. 4.5 hrs (minimum but I’d venture to say it’s about 5hrs) x 60 = ________ . Ya….I won’t get the pictures of him frolicking in the Gulf surf from a couple of years ago too. Nice try. good talking points. Keep trying.

Darkangel April 13, 2012 at 10:49 am

I think it was 94 rounds of golf as of last weekend. If we value it at 4.5 hours per round, that would be 423 hours, or 17.625 man-days.

5 hours per round would work out to 470 hours, or 19.5833 man-days.

Even at a lightning-fast four hours per, it still works out that Obama has spent more than two man-weeks on the golf course.

Meanwhile, by way of comparison, 88 million Americans have given up looking for work, because this economy is officially in the toilet.

Tom April 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for following up on the facts and figures for me. I was running out of time getting ready for work and reading WHD. I know…fix my priorities!

MT for re-redistribution April 13, 2012 at 11:00 am

Stop yelling!

BTW, see your doctor about adjusting your meds.

Dhalaine Baker April 13, 2012 at 4:28 am

THE TRUTH IS THAT THE OBAMAS WORK LIKE 24 HOURS A DAY EVEN ON WEEKEND TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE EVEN SERVING FOOD AT HOMELESS SHELTERS. ON THEIR FREE TIME THEY READ TO OTHER PEOPLES KIDS. AIRFORCE ONE IS 20 YEARS OLD AND TO ME FLYING IN ITSELF IS A JOB I WOULD NOT DO BUT THE OBAMAS DO THIS KIND OF WORK OUT OF THE LOVE THEY HAVE FOR AMERICANS. THE NEVER HARDLY EVER GET A VACATION/ ;THE LAST TIME THEY WENT TO MARTHAS VINEYARD THEY HAD TO COME RIGHT BACK IN 3 OR 4 DAYS. PRESIDENT OBAMA WORKS TEN TIMES HARDER THAN ANY OTHER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES EVER DID EVER EVER EVER AND HE IS FAR FAR MORE INTELLIGENT & EDUCATED TOO. HE GRADUATED MAGNA CUM LAUDE FROM HARVARD LAW SCHOOL.. HE TALKS TO HUNDREDS OF MIDDLE CLASS EVERY DAY IN COLLEGES AND EVENTS, HE NEVER COMPLAINS BY JUST WORKS, WORKS, WORKS. HE’S AMAZING. MEAN WHILE ON TOP OF WHAT YOU ARE PAYING AT THE PUMP BILLIONAIRE OIL COMPANIES GET 4 000,000,000 EXTRA TAX DOLLARS IN SUBSIDIES PER YEAR, WHICH IS WHY HE IS TRYING TO STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING. WE LIVE IN A SICK WORLD. THAT’S 4 BIKKION OF OUR TAX DOLLARS. AIRFORCE ONE IS RUN ON BIO FUEL.

Janice/Granny Jan April 13, 2012 at 6:28 am

With supporters like you, Dhalaine, I don’t see how Obama can lose. Keep up the good copy and paste work. You’re sure to change millions of minds. YOU’RE AMAZING.

Bob April 13, 2012 at 6:45 am

Dhalaine, CAPSLOCK MONDAY IS ON MONDAY, NOT FRIDAY.

Thanks sweetie.

Car in April 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

srsly? I can’t imagine this is serious.

ol gator April 13, 2012 at 8:20 am

Another WH JUNIOR staffer who must’ve just finished polishing
barry hussein’s shoes (a WH perk) and is apparently overcome with uncontrollable emotion …..

I got two words for ya : DRINK DE-CAFE ! ..

Mari April 13, 2012 at 8:45 am

Wow, I knew the tax subsidy number was high but I didn’t know it was up to 4 BIKKION!!!!!!!!!! I think that’s what comes after a trillion gazillion million, but I could be wrong.

Dhalaine, thank you for the funny posts. Anytime someone posts in all caps it’s pretty much guaranteed to be hilarious! How’s christine doing?

Janna April 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

Did Ms. Baker get a day pass or is it just FREAKY FRIDAY?????

Mari April 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

It’s Friday the 13th, which might be explanation enough. I’m still laughing over the biofuel for Airforce One.

veritaseequitas April 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oh ha, ha, ha, it’s a joke right Dhalaine? I mean really nobody could be this naive.

JBH April 13, 2012 at 10:00 am

Biofuel. I will have to research that one.

MT for re-redistribution April 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

All ptroleum is “biofuel” if you expand the definition a little. Baker is apparently running on biofuel also.

AFVET April 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Type louder, we can’t hear you.

Sea Gal April 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh, so traveling all over the country and talking to people every where is part of his job? That’s funny, I thought this fell under the definition of campaigning and fund raising for re-election…on the tax payer’s dime no less. He should be ashamed!!!

AZ Granny April 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I recall past Presidents staying home and giving speeches in the Rose Garden instead of blowing millions of tax dollars to travel across country willy nilly with total disregard for the costs involved.

Obama’s had 191 fundraisers or so to date. More than any past president did in the entire campaign cycle and he’s not done yet.

GotFreedom April 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm

How do you know he graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law–have you been privileged to see his transcripts/diploma because the rest of the country hasn’t seen them?

Mike C April 13, 2012 at 7:12 am

Oh, Dahlaine, why did you remind me of such o horrible old joke I know.

The 17 year old unwed baby mama was laying in her hospital bed, just having given birth to a beautiful baby girl. Her mother was with her, and said, “What are you going to name her, honey?”
She answered “I just heard the doctor say the most beautiful word, I think I will call her that.!
Her mom asked, “What was that?”
She answered “Placenta.!

Just2old April 13, 2012 at 7:30 am

Now, that right there is funny!

Mari April 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

Honest to God true story: I have a friend who taught junior high and one of his students was named Syphilis (pronounced si-phyllis by her Mom). Why? Because she had so many kids already that she had run out of names and her hospital bracelet had the word “syphilis” on it and she thought that was a pretty word; she did not know what it meant.

Sea Gal April 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Sadly, this is no joke!

When I was teaching in Michigan, there was actually a Rotunda and a Placenta in one of my classes! Poor things.

Girly1 April 13, 2012 at 8:10 am

Looks like Friday the 13th is bringing out the trolls!

AFVET April 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Ha Ha Ha, this is fun.
Keith snagged a troll.

Mari April 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I take it you didn’t see the comments from christine on The Biggest Loser and Michelle Obama excercising in the East Room? Dhalaine maybe able to shout, but christine had repetitive postings on her side.

Wigglesworth April 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

Nobody in the administration has the balls to stand up to the Mooch and tell her the lavish vacations on the tax payer’s dime look really bad and she should restrain her entitlement impulses.

veritaseequitas April 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

Bobblehead Obama totally condescended to and lied to, not only the reporter, but to the American people as well. What a total jackass this POTUS is.

ANYBODY but Obama 2012

And BTW, since it does look like Mitt Romnet is going to be the GOP nominee, we need to stop eating our own and get behind the guy, whether we particularly like him or not.

DeniseVB April 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Good read for Obama supporters …. heehee

17 car motorcade for a photo op with a green car.
AF1 is his personal Brinks Truck for all the fundraisin’ cash he has to haul.

Just a couple of my favorite points

65andcounting April 13, 2012 at 9:47 am

And just LOOK at how little Obama has reimbursed us taxpayers for all his travels. This will open your eyes on a Friday morning. It’s so awful I thought about writing this in ALL CAPS!! :-)

Shofar April 13, 2012 at 10:13 am

To all who are ganging up on the inspired Ms. Dhalaine Baker, I would like to point out that she truly is a believer. If you click on her link you will discover from some MySpace page (they still around?) the following words, “MR Oba for our number civil rights leader AND THE BEST PRESIDENT IN THE WORLD EVER, WELL BARACK OBAMA – OF COURSE IS THE TOTAL GREATEST ONE AND most people don’t even know that he puts in like 20 hour days, working arduously, yet splendidly to help millions of people in America and around the world. He is obviously Gods chosen Son, simply the best and all the energy and power of past movements have earned a blessing through him. Those moves ments have not gone unnoticed by God- And rectification shall be attained by God- the True God in the heavens creator of the universe totally approves President Obama andPresident Obama does great work- and tons of work that no one even searched to se” 8:02 PM Mar 21, 2011 (this is the direct quote, no editing needed)

I love the part about Obama being “obviously Gods chosen Son” – rather blasphemous, but her opinion.

As for her understanding of AF1 running on bio-fuel, there was an article several years ago on how AF1 was being converted to bio-fuel that would come from various government kitchens (a la the diesels that run on McDonald’s fryer grease). Unfortunately for Ms. Baker, she never bothered to go back and re-read the article (http://science.howstuffworks.com/air-force-one-hybrid.htm). It was published on April 1, 2008. Yes, it was an April Fools joke, and there is no fool like an April, or in this case a Baker, fool.

Car in April 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

She may be for real, but I think she’s probably supposed to be taking some sort of medication.

*looks to see if Keith hand-slaps me for personal attack.

Srsly, though.

MT for re-redistribution April 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

Is this guy going to disappear in the night?

So there IS a press member that is still untainted, besides Keith of course.

Kathy April 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

Good for that news anchor. FINALLY! A member of the press asking a real, serious question. Playing a little “hardball”. It was irritating to see the pResident not answer the question, but I didn’t really expect him to answer the question as it had been asked. I hope this opens the door for other “journalists” to take the gloves off and ask tough questions. And the guy was very polite and respectful about asking the question too.

Did you notice? April 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Obama’s response:

1) You’re a small time nobody.
2) I know more than you, even about things you’re close to.
3) In fact, I know about everything.

Bluetangent April 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Keith – This is a cheap shot that gets aimed at any president whom you don’t like. There is unearned privilige ( say Bernie Madoff) and earned priviledge (any one sitting in the oval office and making the chump change we pay them) .
President Obama works as hard or harder than any president in memory and deserves any family time or vacations he can get and yes, at taxpayers expense.
Any time you hear this type of criticism ( and my liberal pals used to say the same things about Bush and Reagan) you can rest assured its a small -minded partisan attack.

AZ Granny April 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Bluetangent, just how many vacations have you had in the past 3 years? Obama and his family have had 19. That works out to 6.3 vacations per year or one every 1.9 months. A little excessive isn’t it?

GotFreedom April 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Exactly AZ Granny–how many folks can’t even go to the movies for a bit of a distraction let alone go on a date night to an expensive restaurant; travel to HI or Europe and stay in a 5 star hotel ever in their lifetime? BHO/MO have been/are abusing their position–they know it and so do we!

GotFreedom April 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Larry Conners for President!!!

Watch your back Mr. Conners and stay safe and thanks for having the courage to stand up to the narcissist in chief and ask truthful questions!

Judy April 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

The reporter admitted that the president sidestepped the question as he always does….why do they not keep trying to get him to answer the real question? He always gets a pass….that is why people are frustrated.

loorg.de November 30, 2013 at 4:00 am

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information.
I’m glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like
this. Thank you for sharing.